Sallie Mae
www.salliemae.com Newark, DE 5000+ Employees

Sallie Mae Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
Sallie Mae – US – “Sallie Mae Building”

John (Jack) F. Remondi

Pros:
  • "The work environment is fair and there is a good sense of work-life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Great Environment, decent pay and good benefits"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has is a sense of detachment"
    in 8 reviews
  • "call center life can become very redundant as the day to day is the same"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

avoid collections

Collections Specialist (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than a year

Prosbenefits, the team work and the parties or get together that were had. It was a nice break.

Consskip tracing, pushing people into unaffordable payments. Not letting people know when they are allowed to file for loan to be paid off due to permanent disability.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making the goals be so high and focus on the loan holder, take a close look at your collections dept. & those who really do well...FDCPA is there for a reason

pay your loans! pay your loans! pay your loans!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits, 401K contributions, papa john's pizza on Fridays!!!!OMG!!

Consthe nature of student loans. hopeless customers with no prospect of paying loans back asked to make payments nearly a dozen times everyday.

Job OK, Management TERRIBLE

Collections Specialist (Former Employee)
Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for less than a year

ProsThe job is easy as a collections agent. The benefits are really good and premium isn't bad.

ConsThe training is terrible and extremely short. What you learn in training and what management wants is completely different and changes daily. Management is a disgrace, especially my manager. She was 20 years old, which wouldn't normally be a problem, but she was completely incompetent and had NO people skills. The co-workers are miserable, but I can understand why. Their systems and SOP's are beyond messed up. No leadership or communication. Just really a bad place for someone who has a brain.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself and every manager below you and start fresh. You have some great collections specialists but morale is so low because management is so bad.

Definitely not the right fit for me

Collector I (Former Employee)
Muncie, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for less than a year

ProsThey provide benefits, 401K, bonuses, prizes, paid time off, training provided, team player attitude

Consbasically you have 2 goals to hit for the month, if you're between calls for more than one minute making notes, you get yelled at to answer calls or make them. You're sitting all day long, calling people for money. I hated it because I didn't like sitting all day, and the number of times that some people got calls from us was ridiculous. I got yelled at daily, cried at, someone accused me of having an affair with their husband when I called. you're required to work 40 hours, 44 every other week. yeah you get paid vacation, but good luck still hitting your goal if you do take that vacation. And they have prize givaways for performance, but to be honest, i doubt anyone would stay there if they didn't

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more options for borrowers, because you can't get blood from a turnip and frankly, a lot of people do not have the money to make the payments that are asked of them.

Layoff Threats are a constant

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
Newark, DE

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Gym was nice most of the time

ConsUsed to be good 5 years ago, but everything went downhill once they moved the HQ

Can't get out of their own way

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat salary and benefits. Pretty good people for the most part. Telecommuting is a real plus but not well managed.

ConsPoor, poor Company management. Penny wise and dollar foolish. Just look at FDR.
They don't follow their own values. If the shareholders were aware of the money wasted they would vote out the entire board. And the CEO should have retired when he blew the FLOWERS DEAL.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some management that actually cares about the company, values and it's people. Get a CEO that can be the face of the company (and can handle public speaking).

Do not work here ever!

I have been working at Sallie Mae

ProsGreat coworkers, complimentary snack closet

ConsLong hours, poor management, no microwaves

Poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Newark, DE

I worked at Sallie Mae as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSome people and some freedom

ConsSome managers are not trustful and are not professional. They brought with them in old friends based on loyalty but not on the professional experience

Good work environment, but they hire less qualified candidates which make your job really hard.

Client Relations Specialist (Current Employee)
Newton, MA

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time for more than a year

ProsNice and clean offices, good vacation benefits.

ConsThey hire under qualified workers, without college degrees. Very disorganized departments. Bad management of workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMonitor calls and focus on quality control, schools and students are dissatisfied with customer service. Be competitive on your line of businesses, update your systems and make workers life easy.

Lack of leadership from CEO

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome great people doing a great job. Large enough company to find those who can assist you learn the business but not dynamic enough for internal career growth.

ConsLack of leader from the CEO. He appears to only look out for himself under the guise of shareholder value. It gets old quick.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to develop employees if you want to retain talent. Top talent is not looking to go here. In the financial services world there are so many better companies to work for. Value and reward your employees better than you have historically.

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sallie Mae reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sallie Mae CEO John (Jack) F. Remondi. All 132 reviews posted anonymously by Sallie Mae employees.