Sallie Mae
www.salliemae.com Newark, DE 5000+ Employees

Sallie Mae Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
Sallie Mae – US – “Sallie Mae Building”

John (Jack) F. Remondi

Pros:
  • "Generally good work-life balance but it is what you make of it"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Tuition reimbursement up to 4k per year, good benefits"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management is oblivious to what middle management does"
    in 9 reviews
  • "call center life can become very redundant as the day to day is the same"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sallie Mae was a paycheck and benefits, nothing more, nothing less.

Collector I (Former Employee)
Newark, DE

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMet great people
Had same sex partner benefits
Still offered bonus if you hit your goal

ConsIn order to hit your goal, you had to put in a lot of overtime
Management wasn't willing to do the same
You are watched like a hawk and written up for every little thing (productivity, pause time, break times)
Management can be unfair if your requests or issues do not benefit them

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at who you're promoting into supervisory positions, just because they were good collectors does not make them good managers.

Decent money and benefits, but very high stress.

Collector I (Current Employee)
Muncie, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, bonuses, contests, plenty of overtime, great co-workers.

ConsDealing with pissed off customers, constantly being told to "get next call" even if you were still completing the previous call, goals being too high unless you willing to put in plenty of overtime, if you take vacation time, you will not hit your goal and if you don't hit your goal then you are in jeopardy of being fired, training needs to be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain customer service better on applying payments correctly so that collection reps don't have to spend all their time correcting misapplied payments. Offer more extensive training, stop changing programs and policies from month to month. Managers on the floor need to be more consistent..ie...you can ask the same question to 3 different managers, and you will get three different answers so you never know from day to day what is the correct way of doing something, monthly goals should be adjusted if rep takes earned vacation time.

Dismal

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time

ProsGood PAy and good benefits

ConsManagement needs to look in the mirror

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of the clouds

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

avoid collections

Collections Specialist (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than a year

Prosbenefits, the team work and the parties or get together that were had. It was a nice break.

Consskip tracing, pushing people into unaffordable payments. Not letting people know when they are allowed to file for loan to be paid off due to permanent disability.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making the goals be so high and focus on the loan holder, take a close look at your collections dept. & those who really do well...FDCPA is there for a reason

I love this job!

Collections Specialist (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing management, from Team Leads to Supervisors to upper management. The starting pay is excellent, the monthly bonuses are great, they give retroactive overtime bonuses every quarter, and the top 10% of reps get to make their own schedule. Any 40 hours, coming and going as they please. Plus all the overtime you could reasonably ask for, lots of free snacks given out by supervisors, and when we as a company were the top servicer for the quarter, we were treated to an amazing Thanksgiving-style buffet. They really care about their employees and it shows.

ConsYou are required to work 4 hours of OT one Saturday morning each month. I don't have a problem with this personally, but I can understand how it wouldn't be looked upon favorably by some.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! This is the best job I've ever had and it's all because of you!

Absolutely the worst employer! Unless this is your last stop stay away from the PA center!!

Back Office (Current Employee)
Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI'm being perfectly honest .. not much.. decent cafeteria

ConsPoor back office management, advancement comes from popular vote, not by tenure. In fact, your co-workers and management will be so nosy that they will start to pry into your personal life and then judge you. In addition, they will walk around with conceit on how much better they are than everyone else, at least the " norm" not everyone, or the call center.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I were to start the well would be run dry.. but they should start to realize that people are human beings.

pay your loans! pay your loans! pay your loans!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits, 401K contributions, papa john's pizza on Fridays!!!!OMG!!

Consthe nature of student loans. hopeless customers with no prospect of paying loans back asked to make payments nearly a dozen times everyday.

great company with generous rewards

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

Proslots of activity while working made it great and challenging atmosphere

Consas with most collection companies there are those who would try to benefit from your own hard work

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees

Overall, it WAS a great company to work but it's has changed.

Vice President (Former Employee)
Reston, VA

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you want to be a part of a well organized traditional company than this a the perfect place for you. The corporate structure is sound and extremely well run.The work environment is fair and there is a good sense of work-life balance.

ConsThis is a fairly large organization and with that comes certain levels of bureaucracy. Layoffs and reorganizations are not uncommon. Senior management has is a sense of detachment. There is very little career development. All things considered, these are the traits of a traditional large company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate as much on the end customer as you do on your shareholders.

Job OK, Management TERRIBLE

Collections Specialist (Former Employee)
Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for less than a year

ProsThe job is easy as a collections agent. The benefits are really good and premium isn't bad.

ConsThe training is terrible and extremely short. What you learn in training and what management wants is completely different and changes daily. Management is a disgrace, especially my manager. She was 20 years old, which wouldn't normally be a problem, but she was completely incompetent and had NO people skills. The co-workers are miserable, but I can understand why. Their systems and SOP's are beyond messed up. No leadership or communication. Just really a bad place for someone who has a brain.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself and every manager below you and start fresh. You have some great collections specialists but morale is so low because management is so bad.

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sallie Mae reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sallie Mae CEO John (Jack) F. Remondi. All 132 reviews posted anonymously by Sallie Mae employees.