Sallie Mae

www.salliemae.com

Sallie Mae Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Sallie Mae – US – “Sallie Mae Building”

John (Jack) F. Remondi

Pros
  • The work environment is fair and there is a good sense of work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• Tuition reimbursement up to 4k per year, good benefits(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is oblivious to what middle management does(in 9 reviews)

• call center life can become very redundant as the day to day is the same(in 7 reviews)

Default Prevention Specialist/Outreach Counselor

Default Prevention/Outreach Counselor (Former Employee) Muncie, IN

ProsBonus Commissions, Prizes and Incentives, Good Benefits, Fun Work Environment with employees, Café on site, Gym on site

ConsManagement has went downhill and doesn't really care about their employees. It was different years ago when they actually valued company culture. It's all about gossip and who can kiss the most to move up in the company. If you try to complain about things that are happening that is wrong, they will FIRE YOU. It's all about brown nosing, cheating to get more bonus money and keeping your mouth shut and just doing your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect and like they are apart of the team. Stop wanting employees to brown nose to move up in the company. Treat employees the same and stop the favoritism. Value more of the company culture and morals and values.

Great place to work for new college grads.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Lynn Haven, FL

ProsGreat job to learn new skill sets. Open communication. Clean work environment. Flexible work hours. Paid leave. Plenty of parking. Fitness gym. Paid vacation. Good benefits.

ConsExcessive employee turnover. Small shift differential pay for working flexible shifts. No vacation time within first 6 months of employment. Most benefits will not kick in until after one year of employment.

Great job security and long term prospects.

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsMore Paid Time Off than the average US firm.
    Loved the steady pace (not too fast, not too slow), but there was the occasional urgency to fix production bugs.

ConsMedical Insurance deductible was a little bit higher.
    Only officer level and up got bonuses.
    New technology investments are slower than the average tech company.
    I got shaken loose from them as we were asked to relocate and our unit would eventually shutdown.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the 2 years, I had been there, I think the following improvements can be made:
    Be flexible to change policies and procedures and value employees more.
    Add code quality processes and improve employee review processes.
    Don't add new positions to solve a problem. - I felt that Sallie Mae was bloated and fat after making several acquisitions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It became very difficult to be enthusiastic about products that I no longer had faith in.

Seasonal Loan Agent (Former Employee) Port Saint Lucie, FL

ProsI believe the best reason to be at Sallie Mae is when you are able to give someone the dream of attending college. While I don't agree with some of the practices at Sallie Mae, they do afford others the opportunities to go where they wouldn't have been able to.

ConsThe servicing team is a mess. As an originator I was flooded with complaints about previous loans and how servicing was treating the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake strides to fix the servicing issues or risk losing customers.

Interview and hiring process

Customer Resolutions Specialist (Current Employee) Wilkes-Barre, PA

Prosgood interview, background and drug test

Constime consuming, long waits for group interviews

Advice to Senior Managementnone negative soo far

Sallie Mae was a paycheck and benefits, nothing more, nothing less.

Collector I (Former Employee) Newark, DE

ProsMet great people
    Had same sex partner benefits
    Still offered bonus if you hit your goal

ConsIn order to hit your goal, you had to put in a lot of overtime
    Management wasn't willing to do the same
    You are watched like a hawk and written up for every little thing (productivity, pause time, break times)
    Management can be unfair if your requests or issues do not benefit them

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at who you're promoting into supervisory positions, just because they were good collectors does not make them good managers.

Decent money and benefits, but very high stress.

Collector I (Current Employee) Muncie, IN

ProsBenefits, bonuses, contests, plenty of overtime, great co-workers.

ConsDealing with pissed off customers, constantly being told to "get next call" even if you were still completing the previous call, goals being too high unless you willing to put in plenty of overtime, if you take vacation time, you will not hit your goal and if you don't hit your goal then you are in jeopardy of being fired, training needs to be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain customer service better on applying payments correctly so that collection reps don't have to spend all their time correcting misapplied payments. Offer more extensive training, stop changing programs and policies from month to month. Managers on the floor need to be more consistent..ie...you can ask the same question to 3 different managers, and you will get three different answers so you never know from day to day what is the correct way of doing something, monthly goals should be adjusted if rep takes earned vacation time.

avoid collections

Collections Specialist (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosbenefits, the team work and the parties or get together that were had. It was a nice break.

Consskip tracing, pushing people into unaffordable payments. Not letting people know when they are allowed to file for loan to be paid off due to permanent disability.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making the goals be so high and focus on the loan holder, take a close look at your collections dept. & those who really do well...FDCPA is there for a reason

Dismal

ProsGood PAy and good benefits

ConsManagement needs to look in the mirror

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of the clouds

I love this job!

Collections Specialist (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsAmazing management, from Team Leads to Supervisors to upper management. The starting pay is excellent, the monthly bonuses are great, they give retroactive overtime bonuses every quarter, and the top 10% of reps get to make their own schedule. Any 40 hours, coming and going as they please. Plus all the overtime you could reasonably ask for, lots of free snacks given out by supervisors, and when we as a company were the top servicer for the quarter, we were treated to an amazing Thanksgiving-style buffet. They really care about their employees and it shows.

ConsYou are required to work 4 hours of OT one Saturday morning each month. I don't have a problem with this personally, but I can understand how it wouldn't be looked upon favorably by some.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! This is the best job I've ever had and it's all because of you!

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!