Sallie Mae
www.salliemae.com Newark, DE 5000+ Employees

Sallie Mae Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Sallie Mae – US – “Sallie Mae Building”

John (Jack) F. Remondi

Pros:
  • "Generally good work-life balance but it is what you make of it"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Tuition reimbursement up to 4k per year, good benefits"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management is oblivious to what middle management does"
    in 9 reviews
  • "call center life can become very redundant as the day to day is the same"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I was very stressed when I worked at Sallie Mae

Collector I (Former Employee)
    Newark, DE

ProsThe incentives we received as new comers

ConsEverything else in the federal department not the other departments

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional at all times. This is not high school this is a job.
    This is for the federal side of Sallie Mae, not towards the other departments

Over time, I was mentally and emotionally broken down

Collector I (Former Employee)
    Muncie, IN

ProsGood benefits and pay, competitive

ConsIf you didn't hit goal, you were put down and even yelled at by some supervisors. If you are not a top performer or if you don't hit goal very often, supervisors and seniors treat you like you have little intelligence and publicly embarrass you. Not every employee is treated fairly, even though they are supposed to be. If you are a favorite of your supervisor or other upper management, you can get away with just about anything. If you are not a favorite, you can't.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure ALL employees including upper management are following policies. Make it easier for employees to complain about supervisors or other employees, because somehow those people always find out who told on them.

Lacking good leadership

Pros- Pay is competitive
    - Technology is kept up to date
    - For the most part, competent people to work with

Cons- Very little communication from leadership
    - Takes forever to get anything approved
    - Crazy expectations with limited people to do the job
    - Very little regard for work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer some vision on where the company is heading

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tumultous

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Newark, DE

ProsSlow work pace - tenure based promotions - overtime opportunities are often available - basic qualifications - competitive benefits -

ConsLimited and capped career potential - scattered leadership styles - Favoritism - the company is currently facing lots of uncertainty given the legislative changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is the time to move forward with essential changes required to thrive in a new environment but it must be done in tangent and united as a company.

Not the company it used to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros+ Nice coworkers
    + Mission of company (at least in late 1990s to 2006) was compelling, you felt like you were helping others have opportunity and resources to get an education

Cons- Organization has lost its way
    - Many cliques, hard to know who to trust. If you were't in a department or division that was looked upon favorably by executive management you were a "nobody" and weren't respected
    - Paid some senior managers obscene amounts without them adding much value to to the company
    - Too many departments and people are going in different directions and working at cross purposes from each other. It's more about personal agendas than working towards shared objectives and goals

Advice to Senior ManagementShow respect to employees. Listen and learn from messages received from employees without shooting the messengers. What has been your role in the current mess the company is in?

Acceptable job

Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to network with corporate or marketing professionals who are capable of surviving in a challenging, politically adverse corporate climate.

ConsProbably not the best place to work if you are a technical professional, as management is very financial / corporate / marketing focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve your technology departments in the dialogue to move forward with your plans - they will need to be intimately involved in order to succeed on the challenging path you are choosing.

Not a great job

Private Collection Representative (Former Employee)
    Fishers, IN

ProsThe building is nice and direct managers are good people.

ConsThe job is horrible, the pay is bad, and the senior management does not really care.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher the salaries and generally pay more attention to the needs of representitives.

Used to be better...

Anonymous - IT (Current Employee)
    Fishers, IN

ProsGood PTO policy - but could be better, and there is no formal comp time policy for exempt employees. If you don´t mind being on call 24/7 and working 60+ hours a week it´s not a bad place to work.

Some divisions have different policies, and so this review may not pertain to all divisions. There used to be a strong focus on training, and setting firm career path goals and achievements, and this still exists in some places. I would strongly recommend you talk about the opportunities and career path options before you accept a position.

Management staff are generally respectful, although budget cuts have forced some divisions to do more with less, and so the work load and stress levels have went up.

ConsFrequent mass terminations, out sourcing, off shoring, and general job abolishment. Seasoned employees are let go, and then new call centers are opened where the company can pay less.

Benefits packages have been reduced every year for the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your most valuable resource and ultimately will make the difference in the success of the companies objectives. Cutting compensation (pay or benefits) is not a wise path long term. Some of our seasoned employees have left, and took with them knowledge and skills that we have invested a lot in. In most cases, this is far more significant than the cost savings you may see.

If you love low pay and being overworked, Sallie is the one for you!

Technology Infrastructure (Former Employee)
    Fishers, IN

ProsSallie Mae provides a decent benefits package. (Stock options are a joke, but 401k was great) I was lucky enough to work on a great team and had a great direct boss that I reported to. I was able to work with a lot of different types of technology, which can be a good thing for the resume but also can lead to being overworked.

ConsThere is no clear path for bettering yourself as a professional. I was overworked (60+ hour work weeks) and pulled overnight shifts, the on-call was terrible with only appreciation shown from my direct boss. Upper management is blind to a lot of things that go on. Sallie Mae thinks that a 3% yearly raise is great. Promotions are VERY HARD to get. People have no idea how bad it is in there until they get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay, do not overwork your employees and increase staff....do not run your staff as thin as it is.

Ok, good training

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Killeen, TX

ProsSupportive and understanding management. They encourage employees constantly through awards, gifts, and recognition. They provide really helpful training and ensure that representatives are ready to interact with customers.

ConsIt was stressful dealing with disgruntled customers upset about having to pay their loans and upset that they were approved for the loans in the first place.

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sallie Mae reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sallie Mae CEO John (Jack) F. Remondi. All 145 reviews posted anonymously by Sallie Mae employees.