Sallie Mae

www.salliemae.com

Sallie Mae Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Sallie Mae – US – “Sallie Mae Building”

John (Jack) F. Remondi

Pros
  • The work environment is fair and there is a good sense of work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• Tuition reimbursement up to 4k per year, good benefits(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is oblivious to what middle management does(in 9 reviews)

• call center life can become very redundant as the day to day is the same(in 7 reviews)

The employment went well, overall call center work just sucks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey did have a clear path and if you worked really hard you are able to make good money.

ConsYou must be willing to trick people into making payments that may not be able to make them, however, many of the people you call will lie to you so it is impossible to tell.

Overall has been positive, with some things that are difficult.

Account Manager (Current Employee) Newark, DE

ProsThe bonuses are great in my position, and can be quite lucrative, depending on how you do in a month. Also, for full time, there is unlimited overtime. They also give free food a lot.

ConsIt's a collection job, it is stressful, and they have mandatory overtime for full time about twice a month. The commission is also based off of a goal you have to meet that can be difficult to reach sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess mandatory overtime, it can lower morale and isn't that productive anyway.

Long way to go before they can compete with business office solutions

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsSome good people in the field, keeping the Campus Solutions division from completely tanking

ConsTechnology infrastructure in serious need of major upgrades; known for poor customer service; bad planning by management team makes it hard to keep customers; lack of product upgrades; lots of unhappy customers; just an overall negative environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about divesting business units that continue to drag down the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not work here ever!

ProsGreat coworkers, complimentary snack closet

ConsLong hours, poor management, no microwaves

Well run

Analyst (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsI worked for Sallie Mae for almost four years back when headquarters were located in Reston. At the time, the company offered a very flexible work-life balance, with the option to work from home as needed and casual Fridays. Sallie Mae was a well managed, organized, and structured place to work despite the constant grappling that occurred with the federal government over the student loan business. The best part about going into work everyday were the people. Most people I worked with were incredibly genuine, down to earth, and efficient in their roles. It was never a very stressful environment even though the company went through some rollercoaster rides during my time there.

ConsThere is no real performance management that takes place at Sallie Mae and people are given promotions based on popularity. There seemed to be little innovation within the groups I worked for.

Good Start

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsNice facilities, lots of lateral movement, good work/life balance

ConsStagnant, limited upward mobility. Pay.

Great work environment, very flexible, compensation structure a bit rigid

ProsSLM provides one ofthe most flexible working environments, allowing folks to work from home very often. Casual fridays are great, and the new headquarters is gorgeous.

ConsCompensation structure is very rigid, but is pegged to company performance. Upward mobility exists, but % changes in salaries are small. No position between Manager and Director, which makes it tough for those that normally would fall into a Sr. Management position at another company.

Good not great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCulture and people - generally team oriented and smart. Generally good work-life balance but it is what you make of it. Was lacking in formal job paths, but they are working on it and you can forge your own path if you are so inclined.

ConsHas been in a fair bit of flux in the last few years and seems to slightly adrift in terms of how it will sustain itself in the future. People and culture are not what it was.

Drive by bosses

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newark, DE

ProsGood cafeteria at Newark building.

ConsThree bosses pulling me into different meetings, dumping assignments without any planning, and expecting instantaneous results. People were rude and inconsiderate. I knew during the second half of my first day on the job that I had to get out. It was an insane asylum.

Advice to Senior ManagementCruelty is not a management style. Try using critical judgment, and basic things like planning, supporting, communicating, and using logic in decision making.

Poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Newark, DE

ProsSome people and some freedom

ConsSome managers are not trustful and are not professional. They brought with them in old friends based on loyalty but not on the professional experience

Worked for Sallie Mae? Contribute to the Community!