Sallie Mae Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. pay your loans! pay your loans! pay your loans!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, 401K contributions, papa john's pizza on Fridays!!!!OMG!!

Cons

the nature of student loans. hopeless customers with no prospect of paying loans back asked to make payments nearly a dozen times everyday.

Job OK, Management TERRIBLE

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is easy as a collections agent. The benefits are really good and premium isn't bad.

Cons

The training is terrible and extremely short. What you learn in training and what management wants is completely different and changes daily. Management is a disgrace, especially my manager. She was 20 years old, which wouldn't normally be a problem, but she was completely incompetent and had NO people skills. The co-workers are miserable, but I can understand why. Their systems and SOP's are beyond messed up. No leadership or communication. Just really a bad place for someone who has a brain.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself and every manager below you and start fresh. You have some great collections specialists but morale is so low because management is so bad.

3. Definitely not the right fit for me

Former Employee - Collector I in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Collector I in Muncie, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide benefits, 401K, bonuses, prizes, paid time off, training provided, team player attitude

Cons

basically you have 2 goals to hit for the month, if you're between calls for more than one minute making notes, you get yelled at to answer calls or make them. You're sitting all day long, calling people for money. I hated it because I didn't like sitting all day, and the number of times that some people got calls from us was ridiculous. I got yelled at daily, cried at, someone accused me of having an affair with their husband when I called. you're required to work 40 hours, 44 every other week. yeah you get paid vacation, but good luck still hitting your goal if you do take that vacation. And they have prize givaways for performance, but to be honest, i doubt anyone would stay there if they didn't

Advice to Management

Find more options for borrowers, because you can't get blood from a turnip and frankly, a lot of people do not have the money to make the payments that are asked of them.

5. Layoff Threats are a constant

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Newark, DE

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Gym was nice most of the time

Cons

Used to be good 5 years ago, but everything went downhill once they moved the HQ

6. Can't get out of their own way

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Pretty good people for the most part. Telecommuting is a real plus but not well managed.

Cons

Poor, poor Company management. Penny wise and dollar foolish. Just look at FDR.
    They don't follow their own values. If the shareholders were aware of the money wasted they would vote out the entire board. And the CEO should have retired when he blew the FLOWERS DEAL.

Advice to Management

Get some management that actually cares about the company, values and it's people. Get a CEO that can be the face of the company (and can handle public speaking).

7. Do not work here ever!

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

Great coworkers, complimentary snack closet

Cons

Long hours, poor management, no microwaves

Good work environment, but they hire less qualified candidates which make your job really hard.

Current Employee - Client Relations Specialist in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Client Relations Specialist in Newton, MA

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice and clean offices, good vacation benefits.

Cons

They hire under qualified workers, without college degrees. Very disorganized departments. Bad management of workers.

Advice to Management

Monitor calls and focus on quality control, schools and students are dissatisfied with customer service. Be competitive on your line of businesses, update your systems and make workers life easy.

9. Lack of leadership from CEO

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people doing a great job. Large enough company to find those who can assist you learn the business but not dynamic enough for internal career growth.

Cons

Lack of leader from the CEO. He appears to only look out for himself under the guise of shareholder value. It gets old quick.

Advice to Management

Time to develop employees if you want to retain talent. Top talent is not looking to go here. In the financial services world there are so many better companies to work for. Value and reward your employees better than you have historically.

Average company, be aware of the companies history.

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good staff to work with. Management that reside in Fishers is pretty good to work with and for.

Cons

The organization has been divided into to companies, The company in Fishers is focused on Student Loan Servicing (Setting up and servicing loans, debt management). The company on the East coast is focused on personal financial services (savings/checking e-banking, credit card, Upromise rewards). May want to sell Student Servicing if a buyer could be found
    Staff layoffs continue to occur, although not as frequently and in smaller numbers.Probably not a place to find a long term career.

Advice to Management

Listen more to Fisher's management, they know more about their resources and business processes.
    Improve benefits
    Staff keep wondering who will be next in layoffs, some actually look forward to it to get out from under the threat. Stop the layoffs, by now the company should be stable, if not start looking at top management.

11. Think before you leap.....

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

The benefits are comporable with other organizations of a similar size such as health care, dental, vision and paid time off.

Cons

If you are interested in working for a corporate giant, this is the place for you. Senior Management is concerned with one thing - cutting costs and keeping share price up. Overall, I do not feel my opinions matter, nor are my ideas taken seriously. It was extremely disappointing when Sallie Mae purchased the organization that I was working for several years ago.

RSS Feed </> Embed