Sally Beauty

www.sallybeautyholdings.com

Sally Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Sally Beauty – Denton – “Sallys”

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter

Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with(in 40 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be(in 16 reviews)

• Low pay, even with experience I started at minimum wage(in 12 reviews)

Archaic and unorganized!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Trinity, FL

ProsHelping the customers fix their damaged hair, guiding them through processes, and choosing appropriate hair color can be rewarding for cosmetologists.

ConsThe list is long. Poor store management, manager leaves when she wants. Store specials are not in the computer and are entered manually? No problem, the codes are conveniently printed and placed by the register, all 5- 6 pages front and back. Customers love to wait! Pressure to sell items of the month regardless of the product efficacy. Low pay. Theft from Co-workers because drawers are not counted properly before and after shifts. The store opens and closes with one person working. Safety and theft prevention?! Stores have 100 work hours to divide between 4 employees, the handbook implies 2 people should be on duty at all times. Hours store is open = 12 (Mon - Sat) x 6 + 7 (Sun) X 2 employees = 158 hours to cover. Manger works 40 + 100 allocated for Employees = -18 hours per week. I'm certain I've forgotten many things.
    This job is appropriate for individuals that have no respect for themselves or customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementP&L is the only concern at Sally Beauty. Invest in educated individuals with decent pay, a more efficient computer system, and reliable managers.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Over the years company has become worse.

Store Manager (Former Employee) New Bedford, MA

ProsDiscount, free employee samples each month, work with a small staff so you become like family. Product knowledge was helpful when training new hires.

ConsWorked for the company for 7 yrs. In the beginning it was a fun place to work. As a Store Manager the workload became ridiculous. You have to be a working manager on the sales floor due to scheduled hours being low, yet a ton of paperwork to maintain. No help from District or Territory Manager when short staffed. Internal theft was big. Sometimes it didn't pay to catch employee theft. They would wipe out the staff and leave you to run it alone. Communications between upper mangement needs to improve drastically. Their KPI's that the store must make are out of control. My husband was a District Manager in another territory and was told by the Territory Manager ( his boss) that he would see if he could have the day off for the adoption of our daughter. Not a good place to work if you have family. Between hours to work and all the other drama you end up practically living there. Not very well run for such a large corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously think if job is worth all the aggravation. Once you are it becomes so hectic you have no time to even find another job to leave. Pay and benefits could be much better.

Good place if you have never had a job

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly, great training, raise in six months

ConsMinimum wage. I even have 4 years experience and a degree, but I got minimum wage. I think it would be better for someone who has never had a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is overall a great company with a great industry name- however there are a lot of negatives as well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denton, TX

ProsGreat company culture, a lot of great people working at the corporate location.
    Great cafe onsite with a lot of variety to choose from
    Nice offices, well maintained

ConsNo opportunity for advancement within my department.
    There was no work/life/balance what so ever
    Benefits are not the greatest with little to no time off

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople need and want more career growth
    Realize that you have valuable people arleady working for you that want to advance
    Reasses your PTO given to first year emploee's
    Implement bonus program for all employee's not just Director and above
    More communication

never a dull moment

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Prosnever a dull moment - always something to do to make the day go by fast

Constheft internal - new hires that steal !!! very tacky _

Advice to Senior ManagementAlso lack of math skills and no probationary period to make bad employees easier to dismiss

Loved the products, pay not up to standard

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSamples of new products, scratch offs were fun

ConsLong hours for sub par pay

Easy and Fun to work for

Store Manager (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI loved working at Sally's. I worked with a good group of girls and had a great manager. One of the best managers I have ever had.

ConsThe pay is terrible. I was a store manager and i felt my employees were getting paid more than me because it was a requirement to work well over 40 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more.

Good first steps in career path.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsBeauty, easy, and clean job, wonderful start for young people.

ConsPoor salary and the rewards they have for sales employees is not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management should be more supportive and do not take advance of their position stepping over the lower management acting like company owners.

Awful Management, awful to its employees

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsThere were no Pro's except working with my best friend

ConsAwful training, awful management, awful salary

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, pay, discounts, friendly people

ConsI really have nothing bad to say.

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!