Sally Beauty
www.sallybeautyholdings.com Denton, TX 5000+ Employees

Sally Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Sally Beauty – Denton – “Sallys”

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter

Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros:
  • "Get free products, some good employees to work with"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Worse company to work for you get minimum wage when hired unless your bilingual you get"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

my first 4 years were great and i was able to grow fast with the company. since than its gone down hill.

ProsI like that its challenging. Many ways to get bonuses if your manager

ConsNot getting all the bonuses is hard but not impossible. upper management very rude not organized. very demanding schedule not a flexible. raises are not very rewarding but company demands alot from you. communication is poor with my upper management but i have work by side different management and was very happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you people better. better communication is a must. better pay and raises.

Impossible to make a living working at Sally and you will be harassed and bombarded with customers questions.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

Pros1. Free Products to try every month as incentive to educate and familiarize employees about products they need to up sale that month. (You need to sell enough Items Of The Month for your store to be satisfactory and to win scratch off games ) some months you will get more samples then others some times you receive full sized and others just sample packets.

2. I Enjoyed working and the company of a few of my Co-workers, we would have a good time at work while doing shipment we would order a pizza some times. this will depend on the manager and the vibe of the store, they differ so much.

3. I gained loads of of product knowledge through helping customers choose there hair products. And learned many of the things a cosmetologist needs to know to mix hair color, lightener, color remover and application process. I was given opportunities to speak with professional customers and learn their opinions on products and procedures in styling.

4. The shifts are usually short and the store closes at 8pm so you have time to do something you enjoy after work. If you are happy with part time work this could be a pro.

Cons1. The products they give you free to try monthly are generally NOT VERY GOOD PRODUCTS ! Still they are almost always Items Of The Month which you will need to push (up-sale) to your customers at the register. Be ready to have bins full of hair color and product you never use but for some reason horde.

2. Many of my Co-workers and one Manager at the first location I worked at where there just to stand and get a pay check, these women and one male manager had no interest in helping the customers with there hair questions or helping me with day to day work. There laziness was treated with no disciplinary action. They where crude and would use foul language and unprofessional slang. Most of the sales associates did not ever know the proper terminology for the hair processes and products. I was left to open a store alone when a fellow co-worker decided she was going to resign from her job the morning she was scheduled to open the store, leaving me to show up to a unopened store with out keys. I had to drive to another co-workers home to retrieve the keys which where taken to her by the resigning employee the night before, rather then to me the other person who worked that day. I worked the day alone with no help from my manager. I was also threatened by one employee who was later fired but not for that incident. Also was racially and sexually degraded by that same manager.

At the second location I worked with a 64 year old woman who was giving the only title of full time available in the store. Everyone else was part time due to limited hours available to schedule employees. This woman was unorganized. she would leave paper work, signage, products and other things covering the cash register area. She was inconsiderate of customers time while assisting them and ringing in there purchases at the cash register, sometimes taking 20 minutes on one transaction when there was a line of other customer that needed to purchase item or just needed help. She could not complete a task before leaving it aside for someone else to finish or clean up before she would move to another task, so would go on all day till her shift was done and the store would be a mess with all her unfinished work. She caused panic by telling the staff untrue procedures, notices, and many other white lies for no reason at all. She was also very maniacal and would makes things up, or tell someone something that she wanted to get back to the manager all in order to benefit someway herself. This woman was a manager before I worked with her. shes was asked to step down but for some reason never fired for all the the things mentioned above. She receives the most hours of any employee in her store all while causing the most problems for the staff and manager. She was worked there over 10 years. Be prepared to work aside PEOPLE LIKE THIS !

3. Sallys Customers (not all but many) use the help they get from associates like myself to gain as much knowledge they can squeeze out of you so they can save money and do they're own hair. That means lighten it, color it, relax it, perm it ( yes people still perm there hair...without knowing the first thing about it !) remove the color, keratin smoothing treatments, waxing, acrylic nails, gel polish, curling, straightening ect. BE PREPARED to have customers that will DEMAND over an hour of your time asking your questions that you are not required to answer ( because you may not be a licensed cosmetologist ). However you could be written up if that customer calls and files a complaint against you for not assisting her in the store. Perhaps don't make the mistake of being too helpful, because you will surely be taken advantage of. YOUR TIME MEANS NOTHING TO THESE CUSTOMERS ! They will ask you loads of questions down to every last detail ( and no they wont even bother turning the package around and reading the instructions first) , they will insist you show them ever step in the process they are trying to attempt. If your lucky they know what they are doing for the most part and need only a refresher. unfortunately this is not usually the case. Usually its someone that has destroyed there hair with a drug store boxed hair color and wants to go from black to platinum blonde, but doesn't want to use bleach ( lighter ). anyone that knows anything about hair know how funny that is.... wait its not a bit funny its just SAD ! okay jokes aside. these types of customers will pick your brain for hours a week with their attempts to not go to a professional and most of the times they wont take your advice in the end, so you've basically waisted time and energy on them, when you could have been straightening the store or helping someone who needed help, or watching for shoplifters. There are many things you could be doing but you will be stuck helping someone that should be seeking the help of a professional.

4) The stores are under staffed so requesting off or a vacation causes stress and usually is not an option. Don't even dream of calling off sick ! Unless there is someone willing to work you shift, Because your manager is already working on average 5-10 hours a week they are not being paid for and will not be working your shift with out writing you up. It's every difficult to make a living off the 15 - 27 hours a part time employee will be given. You will also be scheduled possibly 5 days a week to receive these 25 hours making it difficult to have a second job. I never worked more then 30 hours in one week and that was when the full time person was on vacation.

Other problems that arise are not enough hours for the store to operate safely and properly. District managers pressure store managers to cut the already insufficient hours. My store of 4 sales associates and one manager worked off of anywhere from 80-95 hours a week. This caused shifts such as this: one person would open the store at 9am along and remain alone until 12:30 pm. ALOT OF THINGS ARE STOLEN DURING THIS UNDERSTAFFED TIME !!!! You will also be on the floor alone when someone goes to the rest room, takes a smoke break, a 10 min break, and a 30 min lunch break in which they are not on the floor or clocked in. YOUR TIME TO SHINE ! If you don't feel incredibly overwhelmed ! You'll being greeting customers, answering questions and the phones, up-selling, running the cash register sales, returns, exchanges, expected to sell Beauty club cards and inform customers of its benefits and don't forget to sell protection plans with all electronics ! seriously after working at Sally you will be able to handle any terrible retail job with ease ! Hey lookie theres a positive from a negative !

There are so many Cons to this job that to list them all would only mean less people will read this review and I feel the truth needs to be known ! Do not let this company suck you in for years ! You will not benefit, there is very little room for advancement very few stores actually have assistant managers, which is the only advancement worth the effort, because it pays hourly still not salary.

Alot of the customers are very ungrateful. Ive never worked anywhere that had such self entitled customers. They want you to bend over backwards to please them, to find there Beauty club card number, to give them a discount, to combine a discount that clearly states a limitation. They act this way because the customer service folks give in to any complaint or demand the customer makes ! You will get calls from Customer service telling you to return products past the 60 day return policy, to give a customer %15 off of a sale because they "forgot their coupon" which states must be present at time of sale. its endless truly. Its unfair to the customers that follow procedure, and it takes time away from your work and they other customers time. Sallys rewards trouble making customers with results !

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that when you under staff your stores and don't give store managers a substantial amount of hours to run a store on that you are going to suffer inventory loses and NO its not your managers or the staffs fault. Its yours ! Try updating your security you need loss prevention staff in city stores ! There are customer threatening your employees lives just for apprehending them for theft. If you want your employees to sell your IOMs then give them more incentive then a catalog of junk that deducts the taxes from their paychecks. Try offering some form of commission for selling these items. You could also do better then .38 cent raises once a year. After all you hire at minimum wage.

Cheap Company and Frequently Harassed By Customers

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsYou can buy things with IOM points
    Free trips
    Free product trial
    Decent discount
    Some really nice customers
    Good first time job
    Fun place to work
    Dress code isn't too bad, just black pants and a smock really
    Leniency on piercings/tattoos
    Don't have to do your own inventory

ConsLow pay, even with experience I started at minimum wage
    SMALL raises every 6 months
    Extremely rude customers, on the verge of having to get law enforcement involved because we were being stalked/harassed
    High risk of being robbed, even in a very nice location
    Long hours, 9+
    High turnover
    4 employees or less for one store is TOO FEW
    Not great scheduling
    Too high of expectations for the pay
    A lot to learn
    Customers think you're all trained beauticians, but you're not
    District manager is INSANE, sits in the parking lot even on days off and harasses the store

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so cheap and HIRE MORE PEOPLE, WE NEED HELP

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

no respect for their workers

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros- easy to earn points on IOMs and storewide rewards
    - the sally rewards catalogue has nice quality items
    - good employee sampling program
    - no restrictive policies on employee tattoos/piercings
    - willing to give you almost 40 hours a week even if you're supposedly part-time
    - friendly coworkers who share an interest in beauty products
    - not a very corporate vibe because of the small staff in each store

Cons- working 40 hours a week without the benefits of being considered a full-time employee

- you cannot request more than 2 days off per pay period in your first year, and forget about taking a sick day. people where i worked have had to stay at the store when they are throwing up on themselves because there are usually only 4-5 employees including the manager and no one will cover your shift for you

- don't know if this is the case at all sally stores or just in my store/district, but my manager
    would routinely lie to employees about the dress code, i.e. when i was hired she told me we were only allowed to wear black leggings, no black jeans or "anything with back pockets", then later when i addressed my being uncomfortable wearing revealing clothing to work with the DM i was told we in fact were allowed to wear black jeans... then my manager suspiciously announced that the dress code had changed again 2 weeks later.

- constantly being told you are replaceable and acting like they're doing you a favor by putting you at full-time without asking how many hours you want, then threatening to cut your hours if you can't keep yourself busy

- the amount of fronting and facing they expect you to do in such a small store is crazy, there were only 3 aisles in my location and 3 employees would be working, yet they expect you to keep yourself busy for 8 hours in one aisle or face disciplinary action.

- expect to have your manager texting/calling you on your days off, talking about your coworkers behind their backs and talking about you to your coworkers. it seems this company doesn't expect their sales associates to have a life behind this menial job that pays barely above minimum wage.

Advice to Senior Managementif you have excessively high turnover at your store, maybe you should look into the store manager

Not always what it seems

Auditor (Current Employee)
    Denton, TX

ProsDiscounts on beauty products
    Get to test products
    People are friendly
    Get to travel to places I've never been

ConsSalary is not competitive to the rest of the industry
    Company is cheap when it comes to traveling
    Cannot advance within my department without a certification, so obviously experience doesn't matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider all qualifications when making the decision to promote employees (I.e. Experience, education, work performance, etc.)

Hairapist/Sales Associate

"Hairapist"/Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThorough training on hair care, products, and color which is useful for those without cosmetology license. Free products and great employee rewards.

ConsYou can't call out without it being an issue, requesting time off is a hassle, low pay even with cosmetology license, sales are confusing to most customers which causes them to make scenes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open minded, you are trying to appeal to those who work in the beauty industry so you should support the appearance of all. Especially with hair.

Low pay, constantly getting choked about personal numbers not being good, typical basic sales job

DFW, TX

ProsThe products. I love the products that we sell, and I am enthusiastic to share them with other customers.

ConsLow pay, constantly either stocking or dusting, constantly having to re-arrange shelves for what corporate thinks will look better, constantly (every week) changing prices on at least 50 products, MAJOR THEFT PROBLEMS,

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest a little money into getting video cameras, or trackers in the products that way you won't lose so much stuff. I'm tired of having to watch every single customer with an eagle eye so that they won't steal anything, yet if they do we aren't supposed to do anything about it. What's the point then? The customers know the art of stealing and they know we can't/won't do anything about it, that's why it keeps happening, and why you keep losing tons of products, yet us working in the stores are the ones getting in trouble. IT'S NOT OUR FAULT! I don't know how you've been open this long, considering how much money you're losing.

Great coworkers, disorganized company

Phoenix, AZ

ProsI really felt like I was helping out my customers, the prices were fair, the products were pretty solid, and the company has a great focus on deals. They really value their professional customers, including beauty school students, but even the non professionals really do get a great deal with the Beauty Club Card (discount card, not a credit card). Monthly free full size products are given to employees to enable them to pitch sales more accurately, from experience. felt like I could stand behind what I did. There are tons of opportunities to move up in the company.
    It's a great job while in Beauty School, or if you are willing to climb to management in a huge way, it is a gigantic commitment. As a temporary position, it was worth while and enjoyable, and a great retail experience, just unreasonably stressful and tiring.

ConsThe disconnect between the corporation and the stores was huge, and that led to very unreasonable expectations. Store associates and Store Managers were on the same page usually, but even the district manager was no where near savvy on how to run a store from the inside. This lead to lots of issues. The pay is no where near worth what you are asked to do, even after raises. Manager turn over is high due to huge work load with very little incentive, same for the assistant manager positions. They are exceptionally wasteful, both in shipping and their product disposal.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more about the job you are asking of your in store employees. Increase pay, it will lead to better retention. Screen employees more before higher.

Little "Big" Company Mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are very nice. Company events and communications are very organized. Nice offices.

ConsVery little room for advancement. Executives are too involved in small decisions. There are not enough resources available to accomplish projects in a timely manner. Resources are overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the big picture not the daily business decisions. Add resources to the departments that are bottlenecks.

Meh.... Advanced fast...but plateau opportunities at store manager.

ProsThey know their stuff and expect you too as well. Continued education on product knowledge is a wonderful thing. Keep you up to date on latest hair/nail trends and tools.

Cons"Points" system to "shop" at company site. Great incentive at first, but after a year, you could easily own everything on the site... Still responsible for paying tax on face value of item...even ought you're never shown what the face value is.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission goals are near impossible to meet. Goals are highly unattainable

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sally Beauty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sally Beauty CEO Gary G. Winterhalter. All 173 reviews posted anonymously by Sally Beauty employees.