Sally Beauty
www.sallybeautyholdings.com Denton, TX 5000+ Employees

Sally Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Sally Beauty – Denton – “Sallys”

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter

Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros:
  • "Get free products, some good employees to work with"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Worse company to work for you get minimum wage when hired unless your bilingual you get"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Little "Big" Company Mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are very nice. Company events and communications are very organized. Nice offices.

ConsVery little room for advancement. Executives are too involved in small decisions. There are not enough resources available to accomplish projects in a timely manner. Resources are overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the big picture not the daily business decisions. Add resources to the departments that are bottlenecks.

Meh.... Advanced fast...but plateau opportunities at store manager.

ProsThey know their stuff and expect you too as well. Continued education on product knowledge is a wonderful thing. Keep you up to date on latest hair/nail trends and tools.

Cons"Points" system to "shop" at company site. Great incentive at first, but after a year, you could easily own everything on the site... Still responsible for paying tax on face value of item...even ought you're never shown what the face value is.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission goals are near impossible to meet. Goals are highly unattainable

It was a positive experience that contributed with my retail skills.

Cashier/Sales (Former Employee)
    Pompano Beach, FL

ProsDue to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills.

Conslow growth opportunity. Better Management people

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter people in managment

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are management, kiss your life goodbye and prepared to be treated like an unwanted dog.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Delray Beach, FL

ProsDiscount, Free product to try

ConsIf you are a manager they put you on salary and you end up working 60 hours a week. They tell you if you have to do it then too bad you do it. High turnover rate, Terrible pay. You get used and abused. Not worth it, RUN!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to re-evaluate your DM's and actually go to the stores and talk to the managers to get the truth about what goes on, not go by the DM's words when they say everything is going good.

Programmer Analyst

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
    Denton, TX

ProsWorked with some great people.
    Nice corporate headquarters with a cafeteria and subsidized meals.
    Nice discount on products.

ConsNo investment in employees career or helping them to grow professionally. Prepare for a stale career.
    No room for advancement. People tend to "just stay" at Sally for a long time. The only way to get promoted is if someone leaves the company.
    Lack of appreciation. Employees help make the company a multi-billion dollar company and all they got were balloons and a crummy card that said, "Thanks A Billion". The executives get nice bonuses though.
    The HR department is a travesty. I have never worked with such incompetence. Plenty of backstabbing from people that are supposed to help. There is an attitude of "because I said so" mentality.
    They have rid themselves of offering milestone anniversary gifts.
    Nice building, but they are at max capacity. Time for doubling up in cubicles?
    Expect a 3% annual increase, nothing more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the "little people" that got you to a multi-billion dollar company. Stop the games and repress the egos. Help instead of hinder.

Working in a dismal situation with no hope in sight.working in crude conditions and a incompetent district manager

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsPaycheck
    Free products
    Paycheck
    A 30 min break
    A free work smock
    Free name tag

ConsMaking qoutas
    Needy and grouchy and mean customers
    Dealing with hard people like highschool and working with total idiots
    Dealing with grossly incompetant district managers
    Low pay
    No room for growth
    Working with people on drugs
    Dealing with customers who scream at u
    Working so hard your beyond burnt out
    Horrid register program
    U have to take monthly tests to keep your job
    Your always treatened to keep your job
    Honestly somedays I go in the bathroom and cry

Advice to Senior ManagementWell it breaks my heart how u treat us as employees it is so pathetic how the company is run a well trained amazon parrot could do better they seem more intelligent

Excellent place to work, flexible hours and employee rewards! Great customers, makes it more exciting!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsVery good management, great rewards, and you get free product to try every month!

ConsI have no cons that I can think of, just overall great place to work,

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice for my manager, she is fantastic, I love her!

It was a good start and experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsIt was a good opportunity to start out with. Get free products, some good employees to work with.

ConsNo opportunity to move up in the company. Lousy pay raises. Lousy management, no credit where credit is due.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in on your employees more ofter

If your in need of a job and or in process of finding one its okay to work here

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Plymouth, MA

Prosthe pros is that after a year you can get employee paid vacation time
    there are sally rewards that you can get points for and earn free things
    there are customers that are loyal and extremely nice.
    its a great first time job
    if you like helping people and sharing knowledge this place is for you
    I love the discount and free products

Consthey for sure do not pay enough especially where i spent 14,000 dollars for cosmetology school.... and to only get paid 8.25 an hr for stocking helping customers and doing plan o guides and price changes.... my time is worth more.
    people do not expect you to be a hairdresser when giving advice and talk down to you
    the company requires that all stores are like identical... when in reality they all have different locations and different specifications that SHOULD require a different set up.
    if you live in Massachusetts they tax you on your reward points...

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that they really need to separate and specialize the stores differently.... there is way to much products that aren't even worth selling.... but yet you take away products that customers love. i really don't think it is fair that if the employees help the manager make quota and everything else and they get a trip to where ever and the company pays for it that the employees should be allowed to get some type of reimbursement... because it is not always the manager making the quota... its the great employees that make the sales.... that is why the are customer service representatives... and if you want to keep your employees you should think of other ways besides ridiculous contests that the smaller stores and smaller volume of customers would be able to actually win and take part.

learned about new products in beauty

Cashier/Sales (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

Proshelping people find the products to get their desired result

Consdid not work with employees with health issue

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sally Beauty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sally Beauty CEO Gary G. Winterhalter. All 175 reviews posted anonymously by Sally Beauty employees.