Sally Beauty Reviews

262 reviews filtered by
2.5
Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Free products every month from different companies (in 48 reviews)

• employee discount is the only good thing about working at Sally's (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• As a store manager you end up working 60 hrs which puts you below minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

1. just a job to get bu, dont expect to get promoted any time soon.

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

smaller stores, great customers, dont need to be licensed beautician to work

Cons

management gossip, district/territory managers gossip.

think of the little people

Love Sally Beauty, pay could be better

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great leadership support, free products, discounts, benefits, potential to advance if you live in the right area, trust from leadership to run the store correctly.

Cons

Pay could be better, not worth the 45 minute drive I make, worse managers make better money depending on their location.

3. Not a very good company.

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Its good if you are just getting started in the industry and need some experience. Free products every month

Cons

The hours arent very flexible. Management is terrible. Manager can be a tyrant and get away with it.

5. Big company, small minded at times...

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Recent leadership changes seem to show signs of improvement

Cons

Still a long way to go...

Recruiting and retaining top talent should be more of a focus as you work to raise the bar.

6. manager

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

create the schedule, quarterly bonus, yearly raise, hire and train employees, possible incentive trip each year, leadership experience, get to know customers

Cons

pay is low, hours are long, it's retail so the general public can be very frustrating at times, have to work a lot at the holidays, bonuses are based on monthly sales so if you run a "low volume" store - bonuses are small, you run the store completely so the store will not function if you're not on top of everything

I have used this job to advance myself in the business field, I actually have liked this job until the last 2 to 3 years or so, pay was not worth it when it comes to management, but my experience has taught me a lot when it comes to leadership and i've learned what i like most when it comes to leading a team

7. Excellent

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (less than a year)

Pros

customer interaction, discount, make up, fun, lots of different things to do

Cons

days off are slim but I can't think of anything negTive about it

none

Ehhhh... It's a fantastic job if you need some cleavage money.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee reward points. Sally's does not believe in commission (Never understood why) , instead they give you points for items you sell and you can order items via online catalogue.

Cons

Underpaid, VERY behind on technology. Don't expect to receive a raise any time soon.

Needs to be more organized. Employees are not prepared on how to gracefully run the store do to lack of training.

If you like to learn new things is a great place, but not so much for advance.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

You will end up loving and hating this job so much. I worked there for almost 2 years. You will learn a lot about hair, skin, nails and color. Love to work with customers and help them fix their hair and their needs. Free samples, sometimes small, sometimes full size. 30% discount. New rewards program suck so you won't get that, don't worry about it. I think it's just the discount, knowledge, and samples are the only positive thing here.

Oh yeah paid vacations, only when approved after a year of work, and only one week. You earn depending how many hours you work, so probably a joke.

Cons

No benefits, no full-time status unless you're manager. (even if you work 40 ours, you are still part-time under their system). Raises are a joke. Once a year 5-10 cents maybe. Minimum wage unless you got some kind of cosmetology training, then you get paid more than even the manager for having an expired licence! haha! Getting a requested day will result in shortage of hours.

THE MINIMUM THEY WILL PUT YOU TO WORK IS 2 HOURS A DAY. And yes they will put you all 5 days of the week for joke hours.

Start at 10 hours for part time even less, then you must run every time they call you on your day off for 2 hours so you can get at least 15 a week.

Manager gets bonuses (CASH) for the sames and goals the entire store makes. You get nothing, fired if you don't sell.
    Manager gets points and to travel for free, you don't.
    No chance to advance, managers usually work until they drop dead. And if you become assistant is for $1 dollar raise on your paycheck and doing all the job for the manager.

You are just there to make the store run smoothly and sale so the manager gets all the benefits and you get a bottle of generic piece of crap shampoo for doing all the work. Manager only does paperwork.

The district managers and store managers are just butt kissers and you don't care about the real employees who do all the job. You should be ashamed of the hierarchy you run. It should be illegal to make workers work 40 hours and still be in part-time status so they won't get benefits. You don't give a damn about those who help the customers, only about the money we make. We need raises! Benefits! Bonuses! Your stupid reward programs for IOMS is a joke!

Key holder/Sales associate

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

I had an opportunity to learn many new sales techniques and strengthened my consulting skills.

Cons

Due to the fact that they only offer part time work in addition to very little room for advancement was not the best choice for me.

11. Great atmosphere, so much opportunity for advancement and great rewards

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incentive trips, bonuses, reward points, merit increased, product sampling, and you get to meet some really amazing people, customers and coworkers

Cons

Long hours for management, human resorces either takes forever to contact you back or just doesn't altogether

Listen to your employees more... We've got some great ideas.

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo