Sally Beauty

Updated September 12, 2014
2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 42 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 16 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

+Little bag of goodies every month
    +Points that can earn you tvs, gift cards, etc
    +Easy going

Cons

+Lack of focus from upper management
    +No consise way of discipling employees

+Figure out what you actual want as store policy; it could be a major reason for the incredibly high employee turnover

Sally Beauty Inc.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist  in  Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Denton, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sally was a cool place to work at because there was job security and a sense of family in the beginning and I liked that. There was some room for growth and promotions in the company and I liked my team. We bonded professionally and personally. The cafeteria was awesome. Loved the employee discount on various products.

Cons

The salary was low and upper management wasn't fair at times when it came to dealing with inner team situations.

Be understanding to your employees. Offer incentives and/or rewards to keep the team motivated and excited to come in every day.

Just like family- dysfunctional, yet you can't help but love it.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Milwaukie, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukie, OR

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free employee samples each month, incentives, prizes, and discounts. Everyone supports eachother throughout the whole company, not just ONE store.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth, and there is medium to high frequency in the turn-over rate among sales associates.

Listen to the individual employees as much as possible, not just a DM or even TM, as they are not always a good representation of what is ACTUALLY going on in the stores. There can be a lot of hearsay and bad communication, when in fact- the sales associates are the ones who are in direct contact with customers and their needs most of the day.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underpaid employees with over the top expectations

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

free samples, making customers happy, great discount, learning new techniques

Cons

working as a team, low pay, really no way to take vacation because the company keeps a low staff, unable to take sick days as well

I was a manager of a Sally's and what a joke to be paid less than a gas station worker. I had employees who made less than taco bell workers. Minim wage employees do minimum wage work.

honest evaluation at store level

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

A great position to aid in the process of weight loss (YOU WILL GET YOUR DAILY WORKOUT)... A position at store level regardless of title, gives an opportunity to learn about many brands of products and styling tools... Company offers reward points based on items sold, (some worth more points than others) that can be used to receive some pretty cool items as well as gift cards from Sally or other retailers...

Cons

Position requires an abnormal amount of physical labor in comparison to an average retail position. Running on a skeleton crew (Which is typical of all Sally store's) requires each person to move, think and see as if they were three people. YOU will be the sales associate, the shipping and receiving crew, the janitorial crew, the stock crew, the inventory company, the visuals department, the customer service support team and the loss prevention.security experts! What you will not be: You will not be, paid enough for any real quality of life (regardless of store level position), treated with care or respect by the customers(They all will know more than you)..You will not be encouraged to use even a single ounce of your own judgment as everything, and i mean everything is a directive!....

Not worth my thoughts....

Upper Managment sucks!

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Feel products, nice coworkers, good manager

Cons

My store manager is awesome, but my DM has favorites and only is nice to my one coworker just because she sucks up to her and makes herself sound good and the rest of us sound like bad workers, even though I put in the most work and do all assisant manager work without pay or tittle. My DM also doesn't care about us as people or employees, she only cares about the numbers and making her look good, it's annoying because she's never even in the store. She always has unrealistic expectations and if there not done, then she makes my manager cut hours. Her and my manager also don't ba e the best relations ship and she takes of out on us employees, you can tell were not one of her "favorite" stores. She's makes working under her really sucks and she makes me not like working for the company. I also have a coworker(same one that sucks up to DM) that steals and breaks rules when ever she feels like it and nothing happens. Not matter how many times you report it or tell management what's going on. So basically it's okay to steal from this company because you will keep your job anyway

Look into who you have as DM for this company. Actually pay your employees what they deserve and maybe people would actually stay longer. Take some time and go to stores to see what really goes on

Challenging and Rewarding job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Stow, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Stow, OH

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of perks, discounts, free products every month. Awesome benefits, vacation time, lots of incentive for everyone employed there. Communication was great! I always got timely info from the top people. Hard work was rewarded. Pay was decent. I was in management, learned a lot and enjoyed my job.

Cons

Hours were long. Was on salary so never got overtime pay. Felt like I was at work more than home. Upper Management showed some favoritism. Micro managing seemed to be the expectation at times and that was draining. Managers were required to work specific holidays. Turnover was high in many of the stores, Time off was hard to count on because of that and small staff requirements. A lot of pressure put on managers to do things a certain way.

Allow overtime for your managers, a better system to help management work less. Time off around Christmas would be nice, ability to hire extra staff.

Big and Growing Company with a small company mentality, which means personal growth and influence opportunities.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

An exciting industry that continues to grow, even under unsatisfactory economic conditions. Working at corporate you have the chance to influence decision-making and aren't one in thousands, like many behemoths in Dallas. Most executive leaders are fairly new to the company and come from a wealth of backgrounds, and are for the most part open to suggestions. There are plenty of areas of pain from the old style of management but I believe the future is bright for those that are loyal and decide to 'stick it out' in these times of transition.

Cons

Some pockets of 'old school' mentality when it comes to mistrust in various areas (work hours, breaks, etc), but leadership is changing and erasing all of that. Previous leaders deserve credit for where we're at, but the new leaders will positively open new roads.

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting new people, getting free products, bonuses

Cons

Somewhat dangerous, no security / cameras in the store, people are stealing a lot

Store Managers should have more power in their positions and less hours to work

good company bad pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Seaford, DE
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seaford, DE

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

discounts, working with other people

Cons

manager is disrespectful, self absorbed

hire better store managers

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!