Sally Beauty

Updated November 17, 2014
2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Free products every month from different companies (in 48 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• As a store manager you end up working 60 hrs which puts you below minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Awesome benefits, employee discount great work environment

Cons

Could be a better starting rate

Increases the starting wage,

Wouldn't work there again

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pleasant Grove, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pleasant Grove, UT

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is great. Its always fun to talk with the customers and be the first to see new product.

Cons

The management was pretty bad and would talk behind the workers backs a lot. The pay and hours were never really that great. Never got raises.

Not enough PAY!!

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Can be fun with the right manager, and staff

Cons

EXPECT WAY TOO MUCH FOR WHAT THEY PAY!! Ratios, Power lines , helping every person that walks thru the door, while doung shipment, which includes organizing boxes, putting things on shelves, labeling products, breaking down all boxes, hauling them to dumpster. And while doing so.. Waiting on customers as well. And NO HOLIDAY PAY, OR TIME AND A HALF FOR HOLIDAY'S!

Comfortable

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong, Stable Company
    Great Employee Discount & Perks
    Leading Industry Beauty Company
    On-Site Restaurant at Corporate Office

Cons

Top Heavy
    Latest Technology Not Utilized Across the Entire Company
    Lack of Family Work-Life Balance & Flex-Time Programs
    Lack of Career Growth for Most Hourly Positions
    Tremendous Workload

Offer more training at the department level to help ease inter-department communication. Communication within each department is great, but not within the entire company. Encourage career growth among veteran employees. Sally has some of the best and brightest employees. However, there is little incentive to stay the course with the company long-term due to lack of lateral or upward mobility.

Dead-end, classless, dirty, boring

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Franklin, MA

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Low standards for customer service s
    and sales so you can't really mess up

Cons

Usually single-staffed so you're bored to death, the stores are actually dirty and rarely cleaned, demanding hours as they can't hire many employees, terrible pay

Give up

Sally

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Yukon, OK
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Yukon, OK

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on the store manager they can be good at working around your schedule. Sundays are only open 11-6

Cons

Lots of time working alone including working truck days, there is no assistant manager position so you get trained to do work technically associated with management however you do not get paid as such.

Like working in a time capsule

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Nice corporate office and cafeteria

Cons

Out of touch with the times....Outdated technology. and business processes. They have a monthly production process mentality. Many things still done manually and they have all home grown systems. Their pay scale is not competitive with the D/FW market.

One of the best companies to work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer great incentives. They rarely start you out at minimum wage, of course that depends on experience. They give 6 month, then yearly evaluations.

Cons

You are required to maintain a certain sale standard per customer, which at times can be difficult. Small stores mean less employees so coverage can be difficult.

Good Place to Start Out for QA Analysts

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly laid back atmosphere without losing sight of priority tasks.
    Benefits above average, including 401K, profit-sharing
    Work-Life balance is observed

Cons

Behind the curve on technology and the latest best-practices
    Not conducive to expediting career growth
    stuck in old-school ways regarding IT in general

Be more realistic in setting better salaries for IT professionals and pay more with current markets.
    You tend to lowball salary offers and this filters out good talent from joinging.

Great job if you know beauty products.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are a beauty fanatic like I am, Sally's is a great place to work. It was the only job I've ever had where I didn't dread going into work in the mornings. You must also love talking to people though, which I know is said to be a prerequisite for most retail jobs but it's very very important here. Most of the customers are repeat customers and salon owners or certified cosmetologists. If you don't know what you're talking about, they'll know and they won't feel comfortable returning to the store.

I was hired just before the manager resigned, so I was trained on the register for about a day before I was thrust onto the sales floor. Our store was without a manager for over a month and there were only five employees, four of whom were part time (including myself). During this time, the DM was also on vacation. We managed to work together to effectively run the store without any issues, though we were all working nearly 40 hours a week. I would have continued working there except that the new manager had issues with my availability. In the future, I would love to work at Sally's again.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage unless you have a cosmetology license, and even then you're generally only paid 50 cents more than minimum wage. The opportunities for growth are great, but District Manager is basically top of the line and I wouldn't wish that job on anyone. High stress, abysmal work/life balance.

Meeting monthly quotas can be difficult if you don't enjoy talking to people or talking about the products. Thankfully, this was not an issue for me.

Also, because these stores are typically small they have a small staff. Coming into that environment can sometimes be stressful, especially when most of the employees are females and tend to be cliquey. Being personable will take you far.

Acknowledge employees who have been working in your stores for long periods of time. Just like most retail, Sally's seems to have a lot of turn-over. Most employees stay for just a few months. When you have someone working in your stores who can do all of the operations the manager does, and has been working there for years, that calls for some recognition. A woman I worked with had held that job for more than three years and was making less than I made starting, and I had no prior retail experience. There is no excuse for that.

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo