Sally Beauty Reviews

275 reviews filtered by
2.6
Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Free products every month from different companies (in 48 reviews)

• employee discount is the only good thing about working at Sally's (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• As a store manager you end up working 60 hrs which puts you below minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

1. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Flint, MI

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, bonuses and earned trips out of the country.

Cons

Advancement is slim to none. Employees in upper management tend to stay unless they retire.

Advice to Management

Store managers put in many hours. Most like myself would like a higher wage for the amount of work and time we give the company. I've been with the company 7 years and a store manager for close to 4 years. Manager's at McDonald's makes over a third more than I do and I have a bachelor's degree. We continue to have more and more added to our plate. Expectations are at an all time high and quality employees at a low. Hourly pay rates have risen extremely in the state I live in and my pay has stayed the same. I am currently searching for different employment. Not because I don't love my job, but for increase in pay.

2. Sally Beauty

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Good building, laid back work environment.

Cons

Moving away from custom written software to packages.

Advice to Management

Give more direction.

Great Company...Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Growing Co. There is much growth opportunity since they are still opening stores. Since Sally has many locations you have the opportunity to transfer.

Cons

Long retail hours. Open on holidays. Work/life balance not always possible especially during the Christmas season.
    Pay is not always competitive.

Advice to Management

No advice

5. Ok company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits , meeting new people, employee incentives , year trips if you make or exceed your quotas , hours.

Cons

Computer system very old , employees not treated well, loss prevention not effective , employee safety

Advice to Management

Change and improve employee safety , have and set up a loss prevention in each store , update computer system so less crashing happens , treat every employee the same don't have favorites .

6. Assistant manager

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Getting monthly feee samples to try so you can know how they work and share them with your customers. Cowerkers are amazing!

Cons

Working late nights, pay grade is minimum you dont get paid for as hard as you work, short staffed. You dont get the trainning your supposed to even though your in a higher position you wont get paid for it until you complete their tranning.

Advice to Management

To take care of your employees better. Up employees pay!

worked full time as a sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sally Beauty (more than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with and customers were friendly

Cons

Way to much work for the amount they pay

Advice to Management

Pay the employees what they deserve

8. Hectic environment at times, but overall a good place for.

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Great co workers, very friendly

Cons

Lack of security, have to watch for shoplifters

9. mngr

Current Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

good bosses good products and

Cons

not enough employees not enough payroll

10. I gained the confidence I need and work experience I need to obtain my goals in succeeding at higher level.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team work, learning a whole new trade.

Cons

The salary that they pay their employees is not equal to what there employees do for them.

Advice to Management

Offer a better salary and they would get people for the job and their current employees would feel worth more and would do a better job.

11. sales associate

I worked at Sally Beauty (less than a year)

Pros

Best as a part-time job for someone who is a hairstylist or in cosmetology school since you still get the free gifts and employee discount.
    You make slightly above minimum wage.
    sally's helps to pay for some of the cost of schooling.
    employee discount.
    Free gifts almost every month.
    Paid training.
    Offers Assistant Manager Training.
    Offers Full time employment to some.
    You can call to take time off if sick or when there is an emergency.
    Sometimes lengthens hours rather than cuts hours to maximize profits when sales are down.
    Free points are earned that can be used to shop on its employee website, and or to buy sally beauty or jcpenney gift cards up to $100 every month.
    Hour long breaks plus 15 minute breaks.
    a Rotating work schedule but you always know your schedule a week in advance.
    learn more about which products work better than others and become a product knowledge expert.
    health insurance is offered, but you have to call HUMAN RESOURCES regularly and be proactive about getting an offer of health insurance in the mail...otherwise you won't get health insurance or you will pay more for the gov't's affordable care.
    sometimes their is mileage reimbursement.
    rewarding job when you help customers.

Cons

Armed and unarmed Robberies............
    Low pay - almost make minimum wage. Sally's products are things that you sell but that you can't afford to buy, so you have to wait to earn points or get them for free as Sally's gifts.
    You pay taxes on "free" gifts.
    No health insurance - What benefits??? Sally's offers associates health insurance but almost all of the girls at several of the stores I was transferred to (except one girl) said that they were too poor to afford health insurance.
    Low pay - despite getting Sally's Reward points to buy Sally's online products you really can't afford to buy life's basics...like food, water, shelter, health insurance, or transportation to Sally's...which for women..that's just too poor.
    No overtime pay. No paid lunch break.

Rotating schedule. - It's difficult or impossible to work a second job or attend school because the schedule changes every week.

Armed robberies - you could be held up by someone with a rifle or other hand gun or assault weapon since thieves can easily rob a SMALL store that has no security camera or no security . logically, thieves are looking for quick cash and or a quick and easy getaway, and so it is plausible that stores closest to highways, or without cameras, or in high crime areas might be robbed more frequently.

Transfers - to stores that were robbed - you can get transferred to stores that were recently robbed even if they are far away, because staff at the robbed stores usually quit less than a week after the crime occurs, making the store short of staff and down in sales. if a store needs employees, it borrows employees from other stores (your store) and the manager selects who must go and it is MANDATORY.

Post Traumatic Stress - some of the girls seemed to have some symptoms of post traumatic stress after getting robbed on the job.

High Turnover - i saw high employee turnover or a revolving door. you could work completely alone on a regular basis , and customers express their concern or worry for your safety. the manager can often schedule it this way to maximize profit and due to being short of staff... so no bathroom break for 4 hours or more until someone comes in to work their shift and relieve you.

Possible rape at knife point or gun point - my first month of observing the work practices at Sally's (such as constantly leaving us to work at the store alone) made me constantly recall the famous actress Gabrielle Union's story of getting raped when working as a teen at a shoe store in California (most likely at Payless Shoe Store). She was not even alone, but was working with a friend...so after several WEEKS went by of working at Sally's, and noticing how dangerous the store's practices of abandoning their "valued" employees due to being "short of staff" ..I changed my appearance and decided to stop dressing up, stop wearing make up, and almost always wore my hair pulled back into a bun (like as if I were in the military). So girls, be careful...if your employer is less concerned about your safety you should be more concerned about your safety...there are armed robberies at Sally's so be careful! Surprisingly, even though I never wore makeup and wore the same clothes over and over, dressed down, and wore my hair back to not draw attention when on the job at Sally's, a lot of guys (even creepy ones) would still flirt and ask me for my personal information...you never know who has got their eyes on you - male or female - and you only make about minimum wage ("peanuts"), so again be careful!

Small raises or none at all - raises are only about .35 or .50 cents after 6 months of work...or you get no raise at all.

Little to no growth opportunities - You might never become an Assistant Manager - even though you were supposed to be trained to be one - why? Invisible ceiling - sales quota must be met and it seemed like our store's employees never met quota even though most of our shelves were bare because so much product was sold (the shelves sell out or become bare especially during the holidays)...ironically, getting a raise usually depends on whether or not this quota was ever "met". and i would think that there is more profit in paying you less, yet making you work more to reach that invisible ceiling.

The manager gets paid in part for your labor $$$ - you might do almost EVERYTHING a Manager, or Assistant Manager is supposed to do yet not get paid what they are paid and forever remain just a sales associate earning just a sales associate's low wage without the ability to work a second job. However, you are technically doing the manager's job and your job too (ie, being alone for a third or half of the day while the manager is on vacation, at home, working at another store, or at a meeting - and some managers refuse to answer their phone if they are away and you need them).

Managers work longer hours than Sales Associates, but they usually have safer work conditions (work with one or two associates under them), do less work in the back of the store ( typically, I saw my manager sit at a desk or just face products safely in the back of the store and talk to customers and tell associates to do all the other work throughout the store that did not involve facing such as (cashiering, cleaning, stocking shelves, doing price changes on nail polishes and other clearanced items, calm angry customers or a gang of roudy teens, reconciling drawers/accounting, security, advising, researching, fielding calls, visual merchandising, receiving mail deliveries and distributing mail, assisting customers with carrying their heavy bags and gallons of products, etc. etc etc ). Managers spend most of their time outside of the store or SAFELY in the back of the store. talking, laughing, commanding, and facing is easy and that's what my manager mostly did for her title and higher pay. But sales associates really "do it all" for a lot, lot less.

Health hazards - a lot of customers enter the store with head lice or fungus issues, and some of the products contain chemicals that can burn or damage your skin instantly (happened to me when I picked up a package that was only slightly wet but very caustic), Some of the products or packaging can cut your skin too, and you could injure your back when power lifting boxes full of gallons of product so use proper precautions when removing small or large items from boxes.

Be informed - Sales Associates may be required to scrub the filthy bathrooms or sinks depending on how often it needs to be cleaned and if a customer spills something or vomits or urinates or bleeds you are not just the sales person, accountant, assistant manager, back room stock handler, shelf stocker, product knowledge expert, visual merchandiser, mail person, advisor, security guard, cashier, bagger, you are the cleaner too!

Additional loss of pay - you use your own car to make trips for the company's business yet you do not always get mileage reimbursement...it depends on how far you have to travel...so don't get into a car accident during your shift and make sure that you are insured $$$$.

If you don't really need the money because you live with your parents or have a boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse who you depend on for your money or survival just make sure that you work only part-time and come to work dressed down, carrying disposable gloves in your pocket (like a nurse or doctor would), and wearing a bullet proof vest!

Again, there was really high turnover, under staffing , less security, and long lines of customers due to being short of staff at Sally's.

Advice to Management

Although Sally's is generous to offer health insurance, i think that Sally Beauty should raise Sales Associates' wages because of their value to the store's operations , security, and profits...save money in other ways - sally beauty does not really need to offer customers so many free gifts, store sales, AND coupons. if sally's needs to maximize profits so that it can afford to raise sales associates' wages, maybe it should give less free gifts away to customers and just give the customers coupons and discounts...... (and free gifts only during the holidays). also, maybe sally's customers should get a discount if they bring their own recyclable shopping bags. but, if sally beauty will never raise sales associates' wages and continue to increase sales associates' responsibilities...maybe and hopefully someday the government WILL raise their wages!...i think that since Sales Associates give hair stylists incredibly valuable advice along with other types of professionals, the assistant manager should be paid at least $13/hr, full time associates should be paid at least $12 hourly and the part- timers should be paid at least $11 or $10/hrly depending upon experience (all still poverty level) with health insurance - try to retain TALENT. Also, surveillance cameras should be in ALL stores and it would be nice if the girls and counter merchandise could be protected behind bullet proof glass like the ones at gas stations, banks, and inside some grocery stores, because there are too many temptations at the front counter for criminals to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF for example
    . very beautiful girls, cash, and expensive merchandise as anyone who walks in can clearly see.

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo