Sally Beauty

Updated October 22, 2014
2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 47 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best companies to work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They offer great incentives. They rarely start you out at minimum wage, of course that depends on experience. They give 6 month, then yearly evaluations.

Cons

You are required to maintain a certain sale standard per customer, which at times can be difficult. Small stores mean less employees so coverage can be difficult.

Good Place to Start Out for QA Analysts

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly laid back atmosphere without losing sight of priority tasks.
    Benefits above average, including 401K, profit-sharing
    Work-Life balance is observed

Cons

Behind the curve on technology and the latest best-practices
    Not conducive to expediting career growth
    stuck in old-school ways regarding IT in general

Be more realistic in setting better salaries for IT professionals and pay more with current markets.
    You tend to lowball salary offers and this filters out good talent from joinging.

Great job if you know beauty products.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are a beauty fanatic like I am, Sally's is a great place to work. It was the only job I've ever had where I didn't dread going into work in the mornings. You must also love talking to people though, which I know is said to be a prerequisite for most retail jobs but it's very very important here. Most of the customers are repeat customers and salon owners or certified cosmetologists. If you don't know what you're talking about, they'll know and they won't feel comfortable returning to the store.

I was hired just before the manager resigned, so I was trained on the register for about a day before I was thrust onto the sales floor. Our store was without a manager for over a month and there were only five employees, four of whom were part time (including myself). During this time, the DM was also on vacation. We managed to work together to effectively run the store without any issues, though we were all working nearly 40 hours a week. I would have continued working there except that the new manager had issues with my availability. In the future, I would love to work at Sally's again.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage unless you have a cosmetology license, and even then you're generally only paid 50 cents more than minimum wage. The opportunities for growth are great, but District Manager is basically top of the line and I wouldn't wish that job on anyone. High stress, abysmal work/life balance.

Meeting monthly quotas can be difficult if you don't enjoy talking to people or talking about the products. Thankfully, this was not an issue for me.

Also, because these stores are typically small they have a small staff. Coming into that environment can sometimes be stressful, especially when most of the employees are females and tend to be cliquey. Being personable will take you far.

Acknowledge employees who have been working in your stores for long periods of time. Just like most retail, Sally's seems to have a lot of turn-over. Most employees stay for just a few months. When you have someone working in your stores who can do all of the operations the manager does, and has been working there for years, that calls for some recognition. A woman I worked with had held that job for more than three years and was making less than I made starting, and I had no prior retail experience. There is no excuse for that.

Great Company

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denton, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

compensation, personal growth, time off,

Cons

There are no cons! wonderful company

excellent

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customer Service, Professionalism, Educational, Informative,

Cons

bigger space, friendly DM managers, understanding, No on call

Bigger Space

Love the customers. Management BAD all the way to corporate!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Norwalk, OH
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Norwalk, OH

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discounts, nice free samples, paid vacations when you can get them!

Cons

Management plays too much favoritism. Everyone is NOT treated the same!

Be a manager not a friend! Treat everyone with respect especially the customers. Stop being rude and blaming it on others! Most of all DO YOUR OWN WORK don't have another clerk make schedules and do your computer entries.

I found this company to be very kind to employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Monthly samples to keep up with new product knowledge for better selling tactics. Monthly goals to earn points that can be used for gifts/gift cards.

Cons

I would say the amount of money my master was paid wasn't appropriate for her experience or years worked for the company. Same with employee pay raises, kind of crap. Upper management would side with customer's that complained instead of the manager, when the manager was right, therefore making it seem like the managers were dumb when they were trying to uphold rules the uppers set to begin with, not very ethical.

Appreciate and pay accordingly! Back up your employees instead of rude and awful customers!

A GREAT family atmosphere

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company really cared for employees. They have many incentives throughout the year to earn some extra cash

Cons

need better compensation for all levels

offer more incentives to part timers so it will be easier to retain them

Interesting place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

+Little bag of goodies every month
    +Points that can earn you tvs, gift cards, etc
    +Easy going

Cons

+Lack of focus from upper management
    +No consise way of discipling employees

+Figure out what you actual want as store policy; it could be a major reason for the incredibly high employee turnover

Full time employee for two and a half years

Former Employee - Full Time Employee in Grass Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Full Time Employee in Grass Valley, CA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If beauty products are your thing there's nothing better than this

Cons

The pay is less than ok for the work expected and the way the upper level treats the employees is disgusting!

Employees have lives outside of work. We work to live not live to work. When the expectations are set so high and after being an employee watching the Sally's news declaring at least one to two stores million dollar stores as often as you do you can afford to care for your employees a heck of a lot better! I can't speak for everyone but I know our DM needs improvement as well as the human recourses department (I'd love to give you her name) who I can say was unhelpful and completely harassing in my case. After my experience with this company I would never work for again and advise all I know to avoid as well at least until it undergoes a major makeover

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo