Sally Beauty

Updated August 19, 2014

2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 42 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 16 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Just like family- dysfunctional, yet you can't help but love it.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Milwaukie, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukie, OR

Pros

Free employee samples each month, incentives, prizes, and discounts. Everyone supports eachother throughout the whole company, not just ONE store.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth, and there is medium to high frequency in the turn-over rate among sales associates.

Listen to the individual employees as much as possible, not just a DM or even TM, as they are not always a good representation of what is ACTUALLY going on in the stores. There can be a lot of hearsay and bad communication, when in fact- the sales associates are the ones who are in direct contact with customers and their needs most of the day.

Underpaid employees with over the top expectations

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fargo, ND

Pros

free samples, making customers happy, great discount, learning new techniques

Cons

working as a team, low pay, really no way to take vacation because the company keeps a low staff, unable to take sick days as well

I was a manager of a Sally's and what a joke to be paid less than a gas station worker. I had employees who made less than taco bell workers. Minim wage employees do minimum wage work.

Big and Growing Company with a small company mentality, which means personal growth and influence opportunities.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denton, TX

Pros

An exciting industry that continues to grow, even under unsatisfactory economic conditions. Working at corporate you have the chance to influence decision-making and aren't one in thousands, like many behemoths in Dallas. Most executive leaders are fairly new to the company and come from a wealth of backgrounds, and are for the most part open to suggestions. There are plenty of areas of pain from the old style of management but I believe the future is bright for those that are loyal and decide to 'stick it out' in these times of transition.

Cons

Some pockets of 'old school' mentality when it comes to mistrust in various areas (work hours, breaks, etc), but leadership is changing and erasing all of that. Previous leaders deserve credit for where we're at, but the new leaders will positively open new roads.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging and Rewarding job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Stow, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Stow, OH

Pros

Lots of perks, discounts, free products every month. Awesome benefits, vacation time, lots of incentive for everyone employed there. Communication was great! I always got timely info from the top people. Hard work was rewarded. Pay was decent. I was in management, learned a lot and enjoyed my job.

Cons

Hours were long. Was on salary so never got overtime pay. Felt like I was at work more than home. Upper Management showed some favoritism. Micro managing seemed to be the expectation at times and that was draining. Managers were required to work specific holidays. Turnover was high in many of the stores, Time off was hard to count on because of that and small staff requirements. A lot of pressure put on managers to do things a certain way.

Allow overtime for your managers, a better system to help management work less. Time off around Christmas would be nice, ability to hire extra staff.

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Meeting new people, getting free products, bonuses

Cons

Somewhat dangerous, no security / cameras in the store, people are stealing a lot

Store Managers should have more power in their positions and less hours to work

good company bad pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Seaford, DE
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seaford, DE

Pros

discounts, working with other people

Cons

manager is disrespectful, self absorbed

hire better store managers

Disappointing

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  North St Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in North St Paul, MN

Pros

It was a lot of fun to interact with the customers. The discounts we received as an employee were good.

Cons

The area was horrible. A co-worker was literally jumped by teen girls that lived in the area. Also, when I went on medical leave, I felt like it was used against me.

Allow employees to balance work and their personal life better. Also, be more fair about who is paid what and why.

Upper management couldn't care less about you

Former Employee - Sally Beauty Supply Assistant Manager  in  Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Sally Beauty Supply Assistant Manager in Newark, DE

Pros

Made great friends with coworkers
    Free products every month
    Keeps you busy
    You get to know the frequent customers and become close with them

Cons

Minimum wage for a ton of work (you're basically running an entire store you will do EVERYTHING and sometimes alone)
    Takes forever to move up in the company (I was in "training" for assistant manager for a year before I quit)
    Store managers think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. They abuse their power
    20 -30 cent raise per year
    They only care about quotas not about you

Pay attention to your store managers! My manager was a bully and harassed us and abused company time and policies and our district manager did nothing which resulted in every single employee at the Newark location quitting at the same time!! ABSURD!!
    They only care about numbers and sales not about employees well-being!

Nice people to work with. People are very professional. You learn a lot about the beauty business, which is interesting.

Pros

The departments are tight-knit, which is nice. There are always opportunities to grow. It's fun to learn about all of the products Sally sells.

Cons

Very closed-minded about flex hours and work from home options. You must be in your chair 8 hours a day. Most people don't leave the building all day, they eat in the cafeteria or at their desks.

Let women have some of the upper management jobs. It's a beauty company after all. But it's all men in charge.

has some decent perks

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Able to advance rather quickly due to the high turnover. Free products every month for all sales associates and a decent employee discount. Nice training program for hourly associates and depending on the store you work in, hours can be very flexible. Good insurance and generous vacation/sick time.

Cons

The hourly wage isn't that great. I started working as an hourly employee with a cosmetology license and was only making 50 cents more per hour than my high school drop-out coworkers. I advanced quickly and was store manager within a years time. I found it hard to keep decent employees due to the low wages and amount of hours I was allowed to give my staff, was constantly dealing with internal theft. Management salary is lower than average although managers can earn a pretty awesome vacation each year providing they meet their stores sales goals (not very hard). Quarterly bonus for management, again.. if you meet your stores sales goals. Insane amount of paperwork for store managers and unless you're extremely organized, you will start to sink quickly. If you're a store manager, it's extremely difficult to take more than a day or two of vacation. Unless you have an excellent and reliable staff, you have to arrange for another store manager or your district manager to fill in while you're gone and it's a royal pain.

Allow managers to offer a higher base pay to skilled candidates! Every problem I ever had working for Sally Beauty was due to not being able to keep a competent staff.

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!