Sally Beauty Reviews

Reset
2.6
Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Free products & great discounts (in 48 reviews)

• Loved the employee discount on various products (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• it seems this company doesn't expect their sales associates to have a life behind this menial job that pays barely above minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

1. Good experience

Former Employee - Order Entry Representative in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Order Entry Representative in Denton, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay, very lax dress code. Respectful environment and lots of room to grow. I enjoyed my time here.

Cons

Very strict on certain archaic rules that personally I thought slowed down the whole customer service process but other than that I have no complaints.

Advice to Management

N/a

Build experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 4% 401k matching, can easily move up to a store manager position from sales associate, job stability

Cons

In order to run a successful store, the job has to rule your life, very difficult to move up once you are a manager, nearly impossible to terminate problem employees if they've been with the company for a long time, favoritism, impossible expectations, nearly nonexistent yearly raises

3. Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Good discount, can do whatever to my hair

Cons

No stable, set schedule, minimum pay advancements

Advice to Management

Be more understanding and flexible with employees, better raises

5. CosmoProf Division

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

The retail hours for CosmoProf are great.They have really good benefits, 2 weeks paid vacation after a year, sick pay, medical and dental insurance. 401K. Plus the free monthly products and discounts on merchandise aren't bad, either. The manager in my store is amazing. She's fun and really encouraging. This is hands down my favorite place I've ever worked. Most of the clients are really nice, too.

Cons

The only downside I've found so far are the people higher up than my manager. The dm is an idiot and the people running the company don't seem to know what they're doing half the time. The district manager is a major cheapskate and tries to put damaged items back out on the sales floor.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees tell you. They're the ones who know what's going on in the store and they know what the customers want. Don't drop last minute sales onto the sales associates.

6. Great place

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, bonuses, all paid trips for making yearly quotas, discounts on products.

Cons

Sometimes have to work long hours, and pay isn't that great.

Application Developer

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sally's has a history of being a good, stable, and profitable company. The corporate facilities are very nice, and include a subsidized cafeteria. The company offers a good work/life balance with average benefits. Above all, the company's greatest assets are the people that work there. The corporate headquarters house around 700 employees, who are friendly and pleasant. If you are a permanent employee, you can expect an average 3% raise each year at the beginning of the new fiscal year. Managers and above are given a bonus based on company earnings and title.

Cons

The company is going thru a lot of executive leadership changes. A new (outside) CEO was named at the beginning of 2015, and many older executives are retiring and are being replaced with outside leadership. Along with the leadership changes are changes trickling down throughout the company. It's yet to be seen if those changes will have a positive or negative affect on the company. The age old advice of "dance with the one that brung ya" is not being followed at SBH. It could make SBH much better, or it could be the beginnings of company instability.

In the IT department, many changes are underfoot. The company has always had the philosophy of building their systems in house. That offers the ability for the company to be very reactive to changes and needs in the marketplace. Under the current leadership, the company is transitioning into a philosophy of purchasing vendor systems. The in-house developed systems are being replaced, and the company is expecting to change their business practices to adapt to the new systems.

Cosmetologist/Retail/Customer Service

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chillicothe, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chillicothe, OH

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an amazing retail opportunity to learn and grow as a Cosmetologist or if you're in school for Cosmetology. The atmosphere is always positive and inviting.

Cons

Almost always out of stock on all the important and popular items so warehouse needs to step up their game. When dealing with customer service I understand that the customer is always right but at the same time the customer hotline lets people get away with anything making the staff look stupid for actually enforcing the rules.

Advice to Management

I thoroughly enjoyed working for your company it helped me move forward in my profession on a personal and educational level. You need to hire better managers they never talk to each other so the entire store gets moved around multiple times before someone is happy, it makes no sense. Also you should have better updated guidelines for writing up personnel, all handbooks are out of date.

Sales Associate

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Flexibility in hours and schedule

Cons

Pay was very low. I worked this job while I was going back to school. I would never have been able to work here without my loans as a supplement.

Advice to Management

You often can be a starter job for someone, but with experienced people, you get what you pay for.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, free products, possible bonus, hiring who you want, but that's about it for the pros

Cons

Low salary for work done, mandatory 50 hours a week (no overtime compensation), hard to fire problem employees, not enough hours to give to the few employees you get to have so that the manager says over-worked

Advice to Management

Treat the people under you with more respect, help out more at the stores who are short handed, remember that this store is consuming the manager

11. Sally Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwood, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwood, SC

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work, customers are very friendly and get to know them very well

Cons

great place to work and customers are friendly and easy to get along with

RSS Feed </> Embed