Sally Beauty Reviews

278 reviews filtered by
2.6
Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Free products every month from different companies (in 48 reviews)

• employee discount is the only good thing about working at Sally's (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• As a store manager you end up working 60 hrs which puts you below minimum wage (in 14 reviews)

Great Company...Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing Co. There is much growth opportunity since they are still opening stores. Since Sally has many locations you have the opportunity to transfer.

Cons

Long retail hours. Open on holidays. Work/life balance not always possible especially during the Christmas season.
    Pay is not always competitive.

Advice to Management

No advice

2. Great working environment

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Great people, great company, very well organized, very focused on success, good communication among different internal IT teams, good relationship with consultants

Cons

Growing very fast, potentially too fast, so not easy for IT to keep up with new technologies and synchronize them among all different applications

3. Work place enviorment

Current Employee - Store Manager in New Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New Hartford, CT

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its up beat...challenging...competive...always something new to thrive for

Cons

Lots of computer errors... Marketing miss happs....repeat work to fix errors...

Advice to Management

Hold managers accountable for lack of work and leadership with team involvment

Not enough PAY!!

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Can be fun with the right manager, and staff

Cons

EXPECT WAY TOO MUCH FOR WHAT THEY PAY!! Ratios, Power lines , helping every person that walks thru the door, while doung shipment, which includes organizing boxes, putting things on shelves, labeling products, breaking down all boxes, hauling them to dumpster. And while doing so.. Waiting on customers as well. And NO HOLIDAY PAY, OR TIME AND A HALF FOR HOLIDAY'S!

6. One of the best companies to work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer great incentives. They rarely start you out at minimum wage, of course that depends on experience. They give 6 month, then yearly evaluations.

Cons

You are required to maintain a certain sale standard per customer, which at times can be difficult. Small stores mean less employees so coverage can be difficult.

Great job if you know beauty products.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a beauty fanatic like I am, Sally's is a great place to work. It was the only job I've ever had where I didn't dread going into work in the mornings. You must also love talking to people though, which I know is said to be a prerequisite for most retail jobs but it's very very important here. Most of the customers are repeat customers and salon owners or certified cosmetologists. If you don't know what you're talking about, they'll know and they won't feel comfortable returning to the store.

I was hired just before the manager resigned, so I was trained on the register for about a day before I was thrust onto the sales floor. Our store was without a manager for over a month and there were only five employees, four of whom were part time (including myself). During this time, the DM was also on vacation. We managed to work together to effectively run the store without any issues, though we were all working nearly 40 hours a week. I would have continued working there except that the new manager had issues with my availability. In the future, I would love to work at Sally's again.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage unless you have a cosmetology license, and even then you're generally only paid 50 cents more than minimum wage. The opportunities for growth are great, but District Manager is basically top of the line and I wouldn't wish that job on anyone. High stress, abysmal work/life balance.

Meeting monthly quotas can be difficult if you don't enjoy talking to people or talking about the products. Thankfully, this was not an issue for me.

Also, because these stores are typically small they have a small staff. Coming into that environment can sometimes be stressful, especially when most of the employees are females and tend to be cliquey. Being personable will take you far.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge employees who have been working in your stores for long periods of time. Just like most retail, Sally's seems to have a lot of turn-over. Most employees stay for just a few months. When you have someone working in your stores who can do all of the operations the manager does, and has been working there for years, that calls for some recognition. A woman I worked with had held that job for more than three years and was making less than I made starting, and I had no prior retail experience. There is no excuse for that.

8. excellent

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customer Service, Professionalism, Educational, Informative,

Cons

bigger space, friendly DM managers, understanding, No on call

Advice to Management

Bigger Space

A GREAT family atmosphere

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company really cared for employees. They have many incentives throughout the year to earn some extra cash

Cons

need better compensation for all levels

Advice to Management

offer more incentives to part timers so it will be easier to retain them

10. Fun

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Free products for promotion every month

Cons

Payee is too little. Its a big company..they could pay better

Advice to Management

If you love working with hair and with everything related to beauty defenetly its a job for you

11. Great company!

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Flexible hours, pay, discounts, friendly people

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say.

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo