Sally Beauty
www.sallybeautyholdings.com Denton, TX 5000+ Employees

Sally Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Sally Beauty – Denton – “Sallys”

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter

Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros:
  • "Get free products, some good employees to work with"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Worse company to work for you get minimum wage when hired unless your bilingual you get"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Archaic and unorganized!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Trinity, FL

ProsHelping the customers fix their damaged hair, guiding them through processes, and choosing appropriate hair color can be rewarding for cosmetologists.

ConsThe list is long. Poor store management, manager leaves when she wants. Store specials are not in the computer and are entered manually? No problem, the codes are conveniently printed and placed by the register, all 5- 6 pages front and back. Customers love to wait! Pressure to sell items of the month regardless of the product efficacy. Low pay. Theft from Co-workers because drawers are not counted properly before and after shifts. The store opens and closes with one person working. Safety and theft prevention?! Stores have 100 work hours to divide between 4 employees, the handbook implies 2 people should be on duty at all times. Hours store is open = 12 (Mon - Sat) x 6 + 7 (Sun) X 2 employees = 158 hours to cover. Manger works 40 + 100 allocated for Employees = -18 hours per week. I'm certain I've forgotten many things.
    This job is appropriate for individuals that have no respect for themselves or customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementP&L is the only concern at Sally Beauty. Invest in educated individuals with decent pay, a more efficient computer system, and reliable managers.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Loved this company

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSuch a great company, and they actually care about them employees. The award system was great. Just a great company all around.

ConsI don't have any cons to share. The only reason I'm not still with this company is because they closed my location and opened another one a little to far for me to drive even though I was offered the assistant manager position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Good place

Cashier/Sales (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsAll beauty supplies around, salary fair.
    Great work life balance.

ConsCo. workers hard to understand sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementmore training

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over the years company has become worse.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    New Bedford, MA

ProsDiscount, free employee samples each month, work with a small staff so you become like family. Product knowledge was helpful when training new hires.

ConsWorked for the company for 7 yrs. In the beginning it was a fun place to work. As a Store Manager the workload became ridiculous. You have to be a working manager on the sales floor due to scheduled hours being low, yet a ton of paperwork to maintain. No help from District or Territory Manager when short staffed. Internal theft was big. Sometimes it didn't pay to catch employee theft. They would wipe out the staff and leave you to run it alone. Communications between upper mangement needs to improve drastically. Their KPI's that the store must make are out of control. My husband was a District Manager in another territory and was told by the Territory Manager ( his boss) that he would see if he could have the day off for the adoption of our daughter. Not a good place to work if you have family. Between hours to work and all the other drama you end up practically living there. Not very well run for such a large corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously think if job is worth all the aggravation. Once you are it becomes so hectic you have no time to even find another job to leave. Pay and benefits could be much better.

Awful Management, awful to its employees

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Ogden, UT

ProsThere were no Pro's except working with my best friend

ConsAwful training, awful management, awful salary

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up

watch out they spy on you!

hairapist (Former Employee)
    Barboursville, WV

Prosemployee discount is the only good thing about working at Sally's. everything else is a con because it's a small corporate store.

Consyoung immature manager, rude customers, terrible pay, mean co-workers, no cameras, no security system for shoplifting, horrible dress code

Advice to Senior Managementdon't spy on employees and blame them for something there is no evidence for

cosmoprof

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Delran, NJ

Prosfree sample and reward points

Conspay sucks
    never get to use vacation time
    manager is rude

Advice to Senior Managementis good for experience thats about it

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree products for promotion every month

ConsPayee is too little. Its a big company..they could pay better

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you love working with hair and with everything related to beauty defenetly its a job for you

Store Manager, making barely more than Associates for 100x the stress.

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsFree product, product discounts, rewards program, good coworkers.

ConsVERY little pay, they say you make so much an hour, but that is based on a 40 hour work week and managers are REQUIRED to work a minimum of 47.5 hours a week with no extra pay, no compensation, nothing. Anything associates do wrong is all on your shoulders and you get blamed for it. DMs micro manage and think the only way to solve problems with associates is write ups. DMs are very condescending when you're not meeting their standards. DMs promise positions and benefits to associates then never follow through, causing associates to quit and leaving stores short handed and managers to work EVEN MORE hours!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your managers what they deserve to be paid. Anyone working nearly 50 hours a week shouldn't have to be living paycheck to paycheck.

Bummersvile

Hairapist"/Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsFree products,paycheck,company discount,401k,30minbreaks,free worksmock,nice manager she should be given a job upgrade....managers give so much....they work extemely hard ...

ConsWow well working at sallys is interesting .the customer like suck all the info they can.ladies sample like 10nail polishes or take 20 mins to pick out an eye shadow its weird.you have to hold there little hand through the process.district managers are grossly incompetent and talk down to you like your 4.I work with drama queens in highschool who probably couldn't get a job anywhere else.your constantly cleaning and straightening .I will work with lazy people or idiots so it makes my job harder.the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job.the oddest part is u take tests and do workbooks like in summer school.I'm greatful to have a job I wish people know the truth before u apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell u live in your royal castles with your colledge degrees.common sense and less is more.have u ever worked retail.you make our job harder.what's going on is beyond dumbfounding.its so pathetic .the turnover is like a merry -go-round.if u just observed one day in your stores u could run them better.some tiny circus dogs could do better they seem smarter .I waited 10yrs to work for your company and I ended up being unwhelmed and bummed .I am a top seller but I'm a hard worker .I'm like its sad I see the disconnect.I'm gonna pray for u to make better choices .

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sally Beauty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sally Beauty CEO Gary G. Winterhalter. All 173 reviews posted anonymously by Sally Beauty employees.