Sally Beauty

www.sallybeautyholdings.com
Profile Unclaimed

Pleasant company to work for.

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Tattoos, Piercings, Funky hair, Good hours.

Cons

Low wages, Management can be crappy, Hard to move up depending on where you are.

Stepping stone into the beauty industry

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Denton, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Good people to work with. Fast paced environment.

Cons

Small town culture. About 45 minute commute from Dallas downtown. Competitive culture that doesn't allow for cross-pollination between departments. Denton is a college town. Glass ceilings everywhere.

Good Company

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

They give you great training and benefits. You get free products to try so you can help sale them. Great hours and they work with you if you have school or any other engagements. Great raises!

Cons

Can be strict about sales.

Listen to what the sales associate says.

Great working environment

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Great people, great company, very well organized, very focused on success, good communication among different internal IT teams, good relationship with consultants

Cons

Growing very fast, potentially too fast, so not easy for IT to keep up with new technologies and synchronize them among all different applications

Sally Beauty Supply is HORRIBLE

Current Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Free products and employee discount. In fact that's where a majority of their money is made.

Cons

Little training. Upper management will not communicate and are not helpful. They give store managers very very little payroll hours, so the store manager ends up working nonstop. I have a whole 90 hours and three other employees, besides myself. If one calls in, then I am gaurenteed to work extra and not get paid extra for it. When that happens, store managers end up getting paid less than minimum wage. They also actually asked me to go to Walmart, during the evening hours when their department managers were not likely to be there, and spy on their prices. If theirs were lower, then they wanted me to drop puts by a whopping penny. We don't get paid to sneak around other stores, avoiding their staff so we don't get caught. These are just a few of the many many many issues with Sallys. I gave my two weeks notice and will not be back.

Don't give a store 90 hours but then tell them they can't go below 80. You know that if someone calls in, it is not always possible to get someone else. Actually train your employees. Filling out a little book is not training. COMMUNICATE. I have never drive ppl crazy with questions everyday. However, when I'm told someone will be in touch then I expect them to. It's called respect and caring about the ppl that are actually running your dumb stores.

Work place enviorment

Current Employee - Store Manager in New Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New Hartford, CT

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its up beat...challenging...competive...always something new to thrive for

Cons

Lots of computer errors... Marketing miss happs....repeat work to fix errors...

Hold managers accountable for lack of work and leadership with team involvment

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Manager in Montrose, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Montrose, OH

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Room for advancement in the company if you are a hard worker. Decent pay and decent employee perks if you work for them.

Cons

They are starting to want people to have cosmology licenses to advance into management. Didn't need that when i started there.

A good place to be, some room for advancement.

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Not a hard company to work for, rarely heavy lifting. They give a good discount to employees and offer incentives for selling certain items. If you enjoy the beauty industry then you'll enjoy chatting with customers about products. You see many customers regularly (professionals, salon owners, etc) and build a good relationship with them.

Cons

There is room for moving up the ladder but be prepared with chapstick for all the butt-kissing. Customers can be argumentative over products, prices, the effects of those products. Policies change constantly and aren't evenly enforced. Overall, if you can keep your head down, avoid drama and do your job, this place isn't bad.

If you started as a sales associate, don't forget your roots. When you're making rules, handing down a task or critiquing an associate, ask yourself how you'd feel if someone was saying it to you. If you were hired as a manager, DM or TM, do the job an associate does, try doing it with no executive decisions, overriding, giving perks out. Appreciate what your associates do at ground level and try to help them. Remember that someone else may sign your checks but if you have a team under you that loves what you do and would go to bat for you, you'll have a stronger store. Team loyalty and cohesiveness is the secret to success.

Nice place to shop but not to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Making people feel beautiful, helping blah blah blah

Cons

You get accused of theft daily, drawer shortage, overage, you can't count ... Doesn't matter it's your fault and you must be a thief . Micromanaging is ludicrous . Boss changes rules constantly . My boss did not care that my grandma died , she ridiculed me the day I found out she died, the day before the funeral I came to work and she scolded me . You are paid minimum wage to be responsible for lots of money , etc . Constant gossip everyone gossips ... I quit yesterday

Get cameras in your store. Modernize your registers, get corporate emails for your hr. Get with the times .

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Occasionally receive free items to try. Employee discounts are decent.

Cons

They will hire you as part time and demand you have completely open availability. Will call you in on day off and scold you if you can't make it in. No health benefits because they only hire people on as part time and then make them work full time hours. Strict sales goals.

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo