Sally Beauty

Updated October 14, 2014
2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 46 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

How it is to be an employee for Sally Beauty Supply.

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job is really easy and you get free items every month ,also if you like to shop at Sallys the discount comes in handy.

Cons

Con are the management at sally is really poor. They don't care about their employees. Sally believe that they can hiring within a day, so they don't care about firing you. All sally cares about is sales and they don't care if a employee is being mistreated, when you call to report sexual harrassed or being mistreated they plot to fire you or make you quit.Sally's is a company that many employees don't stay at for long because they have unprofessional management and the company it self is full of unprofessional ,sneaky, conniving ,backstabbers as management and district managers.And my manager there would come to work every day high from smoking weed and was rude to customers, also when the customers called to report Sally's didn't care.And I can honestly can say I regret working with Sally's and ever being an employee for Sally' s beauty supply. And the pay is not that great

Hire better manager and district managers.Also care about your employees and learn how to be professional.

honest evaluation at store level

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great position to aid in the process of weight loss (YOU WILL GET YOUR DAILY WORKOUT)... A position at store level regardless of title, gives an opportunity to learn about many brands of products and styling tools... Company offers reward points based on items sold, (some worth more points than others) that can be used to receive some pretty cool items as well as gift cards from Sally or other retailers...

Cons

Position requires an abnormal amount of physical labor in comparison to an average retail position. Running on a skeleton crew (Which is typical of all Sally store's) requires each person to move, think and see as if they were three people. YOU will be the sales associate, the shipping and receiving crew, the janitorial crew, the stock crew, the inventory company, the visuals department, the customer service support team and the loss prevention.security experts! What you will not be: You will not be, paid enough for any real quality of life (regardless of store level position), treated with care or respect by the customers(They all will know more than you)..You will not be encouraged to use even a single ounce of your own judgment as everything, and i mean everything is a directive!....

Not worth my thoughts....

Upper Managment sucks!

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Feel products, nice coworkers, good manager

Cons

My store manager is awesome, but my DM has favorites and only is nice to my one coworker just because she sucks up to her and makes herself sound good and the rest of us sound like bad workers, even though I put in the most work and do all assisant manager work without pay or tittle. My DM also doesn't care about us as people or employees, she only cares about the numbers and making her look good, it's annoying because she's never even in the store. She always has unrealistic expectations and if there not done, then she makes my manager cut hours. Her and my manager also don't ba e the best relations ship and she takes of out on us employees, you can tell were not one of her "favorite" stores. She's makes working under her really sucks and she makes me not like working for the company. I also have a coworker(same one that sucks up to DM) that steals and breaks rules when ever she feels like it and nothing happens. Not matter how many times you report it or tell management what's going on. So basically it's okay to steal from this company because you will keep your job anyway

Look into who you have as DM for this company. Actually pay your employees what they deserve and maybe people would actually stay longer. Take some time and go to stores to see what really goes on

Just like family- dysfunctional, yet you can't help but love it.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukie, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukie, OR

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free employee samples each month, incentives, prizes, and discounts. Everyone supports eachother throughout the whole company, not just ONE store.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth, and there is medium to high frequency in the turn-over rate among sales associates.

Listen to the individual employees as much as possible, not just a DM or even TM, as they are not always a good representation of what is ACTUALLY going on in the stores. There can be a lot of hearsay and bad communication, when in fact- the sales associates are the ones who are in direct contact with customers and their needs most of the day.

Big and Growing Company with a small company mentality, which means personal growth and influence opportunities.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An exciting industry that continues to grow, even under unsatisfactory economic conditions. Working at corporate you have the chance to influence decision-making and aren't one in thousands, like many behemoths in Dallas. Most executive leaders are fairly new to the company and come from a wealth of backgrounds, and are for the most part open to suggestions. There are plenty of areas of pain from the old style of management but I believe the future is bright for those that are loyal and decide to 'stick it out' in these times of transition.

Cons

Some pockets of 'old school' mentality when it comes to mistrust in various areas (work hours, breaks, etc), but leadership is changing and erasing all of that. Previous leaders deserve credit for where we're at, but the new leaders will positively open new roads.

Challenging and Rewarding job.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Stow, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Stow, OH

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of perks, discounts, free products every month. Awesome benefits, vacation time, lots of incentive for everyone employed there. Communication was great! I always got timely info from the top people. Hard work was rewarded. Pay was decent. I was in management, learned a lot and enjoyed my job.

Cons

Hours were long. Was on salary so never got overtime pay. Felt like I was at work more than home. Upper Management showed some favoritism. Micro managing seemed to be the expectation at times and that was draining. Managers were required to work specific holidays. Turnover was high in many of the stores, Time off was hard to count on because of that and small staff requirements. A lot of pressure put on managers to do things a certain way.

Allow overtime for your managers, a better system to help management work less. Time off around Christmas would be nice, ability to hire extra staff.

Underpaid employees with over the top expectations

Former Employee - Store Manager in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

free samples, making customers happy, great discount, learning new techniques

Cons

working as a team, low pay, really no way to take vacation because the company keeps a low staff, unable to take sick days as well

I was a manager of a Sally's and what a joke to be paid less than a gas station worker. I had employees who made less than taco bell workers. Minim wage employees do minimum wage work.

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meeting new people, getting free products, bonuses

Cons

Somewhat dangerous, no security / cameras in the store, people are stealing a lot

Store Managers should have more power in their positions and less hours to work

good company bad pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seaford, DE
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seaford, DE

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

discounts, working with other people

Cons

manager is disrespectful, self absorbed

hire better store managers

It all depends on who's in charge

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Free products. If ur manager then decent pay, but not as much as other retail managers.

Cons

It depends on who ur manager and district manager is. I am the manager of a sallys store. Every time I have a problem or need something, I am to contact our district manager. That would be fine if he actually helped. instead he gives me the number of another store manager every time. If you have ppl in charge that knew what they were doing and didn't rely on everyone else to do their job for them, then yeah it would be a good place to work. Expect very little training. A majority of it is simply filling out a book, that does not go in enough detail to actually prepare you for the real thing. Their system is set up where anyone can get in ur drawer at any time. It prints out slips, but unless the manager is reading every one of them, then anyone can get by with stealing money from ur register especially if they learn ur pin for logging on. There are no cameras for security of the store, the products, or to prove an employee is stealing. If you are being hired as part time then don't expect anything more than minimum wage.

TRAIN. You can't expect ppl to make no mistakes after reading a book for less than a week. Actually watch the district managers. Are they doing their job? Are they doing it well? Ur motto is "we want you to succeed". Then act like it.

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo