Sally Beauty

Updated October 20, 2014
2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 47 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Upper Managment sucks!

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Feel products, nice coworkers, good manager

Cons

My store manager is awesome, but my DM has favorites and only is nice to my one coworker just because she sucks up to her and makes herself sound good and the rest of us sound like bad workers, even though I put in the most work and do all assisant manager work without pay or tittle. My DM also doesn't care about us as people or employees, she only cares about the numbers and making her look good, it's annoying because she's never even in the store. She always has unrealistic expectations and if there not done, then she makes my manager cut hours. Her and my manager also don't ba e the best relations ship and she takes of out on us employees, you can tell were not one of her "favorite" stores. She's makes working under her really sucks and she makes me not like working for the company. I also have a coworker(same one that sucks up to DM) that steals and breaks rules when ever she feels like it and nothing happens. Not matter how many times you report it or tell management what's going on. So basically it's okay to steal from this company because you will keep your job anyway

Look into who you have as DM for this company. Actually pay your employees what they deserve and maybe people would actually stay longer. Take some time and go to stores to see what really goes on

It all depends on who's in charge

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Free products. If ur manager then decent pay, but not as much as other retail managers.

Cons

It depends on who ur manager and district manager is. I am the manager of a sallys store. Every time I have a problem or need something, I am to contact our district manager. That would be fine if he actually helped. instead he gives me the number of another store manager every time. If you have ppl in charge that knew what they were doing and didn't rely on everyone else to do their job for them, then yeah it would be a good place to work. Expect very little training. A majority of it is simply filling out a book, that does not go in enough detail to actually prepare you for the real thing. Their system is set up where anyone can get in ur drawer at any time. It prints out slips, but unless the manager is reading every one of them, then anyone can get by with stealing money from ur register especially if they learn ur pin for logging on. There are no cameras for security of the store, the products, or to prove an employee is stealing. If you are being hired as part time then don't expect anything more than minimum wage.

TRAIN. You can't expect ppl to make no mistakes after reading a book for less than a week. Actually watch the district managers. Are they doing their job? Are they doing it well? Ur motto is "we want you to succeed". Then act like it.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Sales Associate in North St Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in North St Paul, MN

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a lot of fun to interact with the customers. The discounts we received as an employee were good.

Cons

The area was horrible. A co-worker was literally jumped by teen girls that lived in the area. Also, when I went on medical leave, I felt like it was used against me.

Allow employees to balance work and their personal life better. Also, be more fair about who is paid what and why.

Upper management couldn't care less about you

Former Employee - Sally Beauty Supply Assistant Manager in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Sally Beauty Supply Assistant Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made great friends with coworkers
    Free products every month
    Keeps you busy
    You get to know the frequent customers and become close with them

Cons

Minimum wage for a ton of work (you're basically running an entire store you will do EVERYTHING and sometimes alone)
    Takes forever to move up in the company (I was in "training" for assistant manager for a year before I quit)
    Store managers think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. They abuse their power
    20 -30 cent raise per year
    They only care about quotas not about you

Pay attention to your store managers! My manager was a bully and harassed us and abused company time and policies and our district manager did nothing which resulted in every single employee at the Newark location quitting at the same time!! ABSURD!!
    They only care about numbers and sales not about employees well-being!

Nice people to work with. People are very professional. You learn a lot about the beauty business, which is interesting.

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

The departments are tight-knit, which is nice. There are always opportunities to grow. It's fun to learn about all of the products Sally sells.

Cons

Very closed-minded about flex hours and work from home options. You must be in your chair 8 hours a day. Most people don't leave the building all day, they eat in the cafeteria or at their desks.

Let women have some of the upper management jobs. It's a beauty company after all. But it's all men in charge.

has some decent perks

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Able to advance rather quickly due to the high turnover. Free products every month for all sales associates and a decent employee discount. Nice training program for hourly associates and depending on the store you work in, hours can be very flexible. Good insurance and generous vacation/sick time.

Cons

The hourly wage isn't that great. I started working as an hourly employee with a cosmetology license and was only making 50 cents more per hour than my high school drop-out coworkers. I advanced quickly and was store manager within a years time. I found it hard to keep decent employees due to the low wages and amount of hours I was allowed to give my staff, was constantly dealing with internal theft. Management salary is lower than average although managers can earn a pretty awesome vacation each year providing they meet their stores sales goals (not very hard). Quarterly bonus for management, again.. if you meet your stores sales goals. Insane amount of paperwork for store managers and unless you're extremely organized, you will start to sink quickly. If you're a store manager, it's extremely difficult to take more than a day or two of vacation. Unless you have an excellent and reliable staff, you have to arrange for another store manager or your district manager to fill in while you're gone and it's a royal pain.

Allow managers to offer a higher base pay to skilled candidates! Every problem I ever had working for Sally Beauty was due to not being able to keep a competent staff.

Good company, but old fashioned

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Relaxed environment, co-workers are friendly for the most part, never stay past 5:00, very good cafeteria

Cons

The company is very old fashioned in every aspect: benefits, time off, non-flexible hours, technology is from the 1980's, no ability to work from home, dress code... etc.

Get more in line with today's company culture. Replace outdated desktops with laptops and allow employees the opportunity to work from home some. Re-evaluate non - flexible work hours. Consider a more relaxed dress code. Merit - based pay increases. Changes like these would help the company keep its younger, sharper employees, instead of them using Sally as a stepping stone.

My expirence started out good.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free products, bonuses, meet new people,

Cons

Horrible district manager that talked behind everyone's back, long hours, little pay, had to use own vehicle for bank deposits and to do salon delivers so added extra miles on my car with no compensation. Very disappointed with the company!

My advice, don't let your district managers talk about employees to other employees behind there back. Very unprofessional. Having a store car for doing delivery sales would also be nice and having more time off on holidays.

Loved this company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Such a great company, and they actually care about them employees. The award system was great. Just a great company all around.

Cons

I don't have any cons to share. The only reason I'm not still with this company is because they closed my location and opened another one a little to far for me to drive even though I was offered the assistant manager position.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Terrible management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waco, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great hours especially if you dont have a store manager

Cons

Working with Sally Beauty Supply was a very demanding, unattractive, and awakening place. I never truly experienced terrible management until I worked here. My store at least was constantly having store managers leave due to their DMS and TMS having so many disagreements that lead to total chaos. Went through 2 store managers while I was there and when I was first hired 1 was leaving.

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo