Sally Beauty Reviews

Sally Beauty Supply is HORRIBLE

Current Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Free products and employee discount. In fact that's where a majority of their money is made.

Cons

Little training. Upper management will not communicate and are not helpful. They give store managers very very little payroll hours, so the store manager ends up working nonstop. I have a whole 90 hours and three other employees, besides myself. If one calls in, then I am gaurenteed to work extra and not get paid extra for it. When that happens, store managers end up getting paid less than minimum wage. They also actually asked me to go to Walmart, during the evening hours when their department managers were not likely to be there, and spy on their prices. If theirs were lower, then they wanted me to drop puts by a whopping penny. We don't get paid to sneak around other stores, avoiding their staff so we don't get caught. These are just a few of the many many many issues with Sallys. I gave my two weeks notice and will not be back.

Don't give a store 90 hours but then tell them they can't go below 80. You know that if someone calls in, it is not always possible to get someone else. Actually train your employees. Filling out a little book is not training. COMMUNICATE. I have never drive ppl crazy with questions everyday. However, when I'm told someone will be in touch then I expect them to. It's called respect and caring about the ppl that are actually running your dumb stores.

2. Fun products. .. great experience

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Fun products to deal with. Fun to keep up with trends if all ages.

Cons

Need work life balance every once in a while

3. Stepping stone into the beauty industry

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Denton, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Good people to work with. Fast paced environment.

Cons

Small town culture. About 45 minute commute from Dallas downtown. Competitive culture that doesn't allow for cross-pollination between departments. Denton is a college town. Glass ceilings everywhere.

5. Pleasant company to work for.

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Tattoos, Piercings, Funky hair, Good hours.

Cons

Low wages, Management can be crappy, Hard to move up depending on where you are.

6. Good Company

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

They give you great training and benefits. You get free products to try so you can help sale them. Great hours and they work with you if you have school or any other engagements. Great raises!

Cons

Can be strict about sales.

Listen to what the sales associate says.

7. Great working environment

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Great people, great company, very well organized, very focused on success, good communication among different internal IT teams, good relationship with consultants

Cons

Growing very fast, potentially too fast, so not easy for IT to keep up with new technologies and synchronize them among all different applications

8. Long hours and low pay

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

I enjoyed being around the many beauty supplies. There was always something new to learn. The product discount was well used.

Cons

I didn't care for my training which was sitting in the back room and watching a video. The hours were often long and that complicated childcare. Being located in a transitional neighborhood made for stressful customer interactions.

Better training programs. More reasonable hours.

9. Unorganized and Unprofessional

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Access to Cosmoprof, free products here and there, point system given by up-selling items, mostly friendly customers.

Cons

No team values, no communication, very low pay with a low raise that will not be given to you on time, too dramatic, managers usually just sit in the back, no discussion of what is done wrong unless territorial managers step in, store is not kept clean, not compensated for gas when covering at another store, managers do not keep track of important forums (W-2's, ect).

Management, please re-evaluate some of your managers for the sanity of your employees and your sales. Future employees, stay out of the drama - the store is small so it is easy to get sucked in.

10. Work place enviorment

Current Employee - Store Manager in New Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New Hartford, CT

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its up beat...challenging...competive...always something new to thrive for

Cons

Lots of computer errors... Marketing miss happs....repeat work to fix errors...

Hold managers accountable for lack of work and leadership with team involvment

11. Fun place to work

Former Employee - Manager in Montrose, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Montrose, OH

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Room for advancement in the company if you are a hard worker. Decent pay and decent employee perks if you work for them.

Cons

They are starting to want people to have cosmology licenses to advance into management. Didn't need that when i started there.

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo