Sally Beauty Reviews

Reset

Build experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 4% 401k matching, can easily move up to a store manager position from sales associate, job stability

Cons

In order to run a successful store, the job has to rule your life, very difficult to move up once you are a manager, nearly impossible to terminate problem employees if they've been with the company for a long time, favoritism, impossible expectations, nearly nonexistent yearly raises

2. Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

Good discount, can do whatever to my hair

Cons

No stable, set schedule, minimum pay advancements

Advice to Management

Be more understanding and flexible with employees, better raises

3. Assistant manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Eustis, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Eustis, FL

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many pros don't waste your time to try and find the tiny pros

Cons

I found they were a terrible company to work for. I worked there for 4 years and was in management and I only had in my 401k $250 for retirement. I ended up losing my job while I was in school. I told them I couldn't work one weekend, I had a test Monday for the Police Academy and I needed the weekend to study. But they ended up writing me up and said I was a no call no show, after telling me I could have the weekend off. I was in the Police Academy, the school was only 5 months and they couldn't work with me for 5 months, yet I gave them 4 years of wasted time. As far as store managers go, its great you get to go on vacations and if you meet all your requirements you can go on incentive trips, but if it wasn't for your employees as a manager you wouldn't have your benefits for the incentive trips. So as an employee you must make all your KPI's so your manager , DMs and TMs can go on there trips that the employees deserve. If you have a Cosmetology license, be prepared to make less than a fast food employee ( no offense to anyone) but if you pay to go to school for something, a degree or license, you would expect to make more money right? Especially since you have a degree and your explaining products to individuals about hair, skin, nails, appliances, while keeping your sales high, maybe if you are lucky enough your store can win scratch offs if you make your ridiculously high quota!! That if you put your camera phone light under you can see the Sally awning, but those scratch offs are like playing the lottery, its pretty rare for the employee to win the incentive trip oh anyway and doing all the required work on blue notes you receive, along with resets they send you. That will say error don't do that reset or we messed up. But you already completed the whole reset. I have my license and employees with no degree started making more money than I did. Even with me being assistant manager, the delivery driver, and having my Cosmetology license -I made 9.27 an hour, I worked up to that in a 4 year term and I started at 8.54. I am just trying to look out for people and be aware of this company, and do not waste your time trying to get sponsored by them or anything for school. Like I said it's a great company for Managers and above. Oh you do NOT get the benefits on the Job Opportunity sign unless you are a full time employee, which with the company only allowing so many hours to be split between the associates, usually only one person in the store works 35-40 hours a week, depending on the area, but it would leave the rest of the employees at 25 or less hours. Also the point is with my personal experience while working at Sallys and trying to go to school I ended up losing my job.

5. CosmoProf Division

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate

I have been working at Sally Beauty

Pros

The retail hours for CosmoProf are great.They have really good benefits, 2 weeks paid vacation after a year, sick pay, medical and dental insurance. 401K. Plus the free monthly products and discounts on merchandise aren't bad, either. The manager in my store is amazing. She's fun and really encouraging. This is hands down my favorite place I've ever worked. Most of the clients are really nice, too.

Cons

The only downside I've found so far are the people higher up than my manager. The dm is an idiot and the people running the company don't seem to know what they're doing half the time. The district manager is a major cheapskate and tries to put damaged items back out on the sales floor.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees tell you. They're the ones who know what's going on in the store and they know what the customers want. Don't drop last minute sales onto the sales associates.

Application Developer

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sally's has a history of being a good, stable, and profitable company. The corporate facilities are very nice, and include a subsidized cafeteria. The company offers a good work/life balance with average benefits. Above all, the company's greatest assets are the people that work there. The corporate headquarters house around 700 employees, who are friendly and pleasant. If you are a permanent employee, you can expect an average 3% raise each year at the beginning of the new fiscal year. Managers and above are given a bonus based on company earnings and title.

Cons

The company is going thru a lot of executive leadership changes. A new (outside) CEO was named at the beginning of 2015, and many older executives are retiring and are being replaced with outside leadership. Along with the leadership changes are changes trickling down throughout the company. It's yet to be seen if those changes will have a positive or negative affect on the company. The age old advice of "dance with the one that brung ya" is not being followed at SBH. It could make SBH much better, or it could be the beginnings of company instability. In the IT department, many changes are underfoot. The company has always had the philosophy of building their systems in house. That offers the ability for the company to be very reactive to changes and needs in the marketplace. Under the current leadership, the company is transitioning into a philosophy of purchasing vendor systems. The in-house developed systems are being replaced, and the company is expecting to change their business practices to adapt to the new systems.

7. Great place

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, bonuses, all paid trips for making yearly quotas, discounts on products.

Cons

Sometimes have to work long hours, and pay isn't that great.

8. Less cooks in the kitchen. More consistency needed.more appreciation needed

Current Employee - Sales in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Salem, OR

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall Great loyal customers, high quality, fun products to sell. Nice monthly sales specials. Some free full size products to take home most months for employees.

Cons

Top people in charge don't care about those at the bottom. Low pay, low hours across board, no gratefulness or appreciation for employees, rules & policies that constantly change.. Lack of consistency & clear communication. When there is a reward it's so small it feels almost insulting. For example a Subway sandwich coupon for five dollars, after months of working your tail off to get your sales numbers better. It's disheartening to say the least.

Advice to Management

Go on undercover boss I beg the CEO Gary Winterhalter! To appreciate how hard your employees work & how little they are appreciated. How high the turnover is, and how the high the pressure & stress is upon staff...For very little pay, hours & opportunity..

9. Stay for the benefits, leave for the management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K, typical paid time off, employee discount on salon brands and company brands. The cafeteria has excellent food. Training classes that are offered for growth are well taught.

Cons

Management overlooks the humanity of mistakes, retaliates if you make a formal complaint to HR's complaint line, and shows little to no leadership skills. They ignore the training that they are sent through, ridicule employees (calling them stupid to other departments), and have no grasp on policies and procedures set up by the company and the department.

Advice to Management

Read up on company policies, treat your employees like they help make the company, pay a competitive rate for the industry.

Cosmetologist/Retail/Customer Service

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chillicothe, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chillicothe, OH

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an amazing retail opportunity to learn and grow as a Cosmetologist or if you're in school for Cosmetology. The atmosphere is always positive and inviting.

Cons

Almost always out of stock on all the important and popular items so warehouse needs to step up their game. When dealing with customer service I understand that the customer is always right but at the same time the customer hotline lets people get away with anything making the staff look stupid for actually enforcing the rules.

Advice to Management

I thoroughly enjoyed working for your company it helped me move forward in my profession on a personal and educational level. You need to hire better managers they never talk to each other so the entire store gets moved around multiple times before someone is happy, it makes no sense. Also you should have better updated guidelines for writing up personnel, all handbooks are out of date.

Uncompensated stress.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gratis, benefits, potential bonuses and incentives, easy to advance, I can't even think of enough pros to reach the 20 word minimum.

Cons

No work/life balance. management works 47.5 hours minimum weekly, tends to end up around 50 minimum. I've worked 11 days straight consisting of multiple open to close shifts. Lowest salary I've ever seen for a management position. Extremely outdated technology (the company didn't even have barcode scanners until 2013.) Terrible communication between higher levels of management. Terrible starting wage for associates, resulting in poorly performing employees and high turn over rates. (Management is actually trained to constantly interview even when fully staffed because the turnover is so high) Almost impossible to get in contact with other sections of the company when needed (human resources, supply warehouse, etc) Very little consistency due to the fact that the CEO has changed multiple times over the years.

Advice to Management

You're a multi-billion dollar company, shell out a decent wage for your employees and a livable salary for your management and I think things will run more smoothly. Clearly rushing in and out anyone who will work for minimum wage isn't working out for you.

RSS Feed </> Embed