Sally Beauty

Updated October 14, 2014
2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 46 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 20 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

A joke

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only possible pro of working for this company was receiving free products every month, in the off chance our manager would actually do it.

Cons

I had multiple problems with one co-worker leaving me out on the floor for hours alone (I go home to discover her selfies on instagram), in one case she left me two hours early with no reason, no permission from the manager, a line full of customers & two registers to count down at the end of the night. She was a no call, no show, lost multiple important items (once it was a customer's check) & yet still had a job because she never received write ups.

Evaluations are a joke. You are told right to your fact that you will not receive any perfect scores because the company doesn't want to give you the full amount of a raise. And on some, you will be given a '1' regardless because that is what "the upper guy" wants.. So you can be a damn good worker but never rewarded for it. Said coworker above actually got a higher score on her last evaluation than I did because she complained another coworker left her out on the floor by herself all the time.

There's no real training & if you're not a licensed cosmetologist, you really shouldn't be trying to help or suggest chemical products. And when advising customers that I was not a licensed cosmetologist & I didn't feel comfortable suggesting what they should do, customers would get mad at me, which in all actuality, it's not my fault. I was hired to do a retail job.

My store is located in the Midwest, where we had frigid temperatures last winter. As of my hiring in late 2012, our store had no hot water. In the winter, water comes out of the faucet ICE cold, so cold to the point it would hurt my hands to wash them. So if I had developer or other chemicals leak on my hands or heaven forbid I had to use the restroom, I had to decided whether or not I wanted to go through the physical pain of washing my hands. At one point, our DMs son was going to come install a hot water heater, then about half a year later, we found out our store was moving locations so they just never bothered to fix it for the rest of the year.

Towards the end of my time there, we were bold faced lied to by our district manager, telling us the Vice Presidents were coming to visit & then the day they were supposed to come, our DM calls & says no, that it was a lie, our store just needed to be straightened up. This visit was the reason we couldn't hire anyone to take my place after I had put in my two weeks notice & it was a complete lie. I decided to be a good employee & stay, instead of leaving them an employee short only to find out our DM was taking a vacation two weeks later & nobody could be hired until after they were back.

The company itself is pretty much a joke, skyrocketing prices on products that are not of good quality.

GIve employees what they deserve. If an employee deserves a good evaluation, then give them that good evaluation & the raise they deserve.

Drop in on stores unannounced. Anyone can plan for a visit.

Great potential and opportunity

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Stuck in old ways seems willing to change

Communication, communication, communication

Horrible

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I would have to say coworkers. Of course they normally don't stay very long. Turnover is very high.

Cons

Upper management. The territory managers come in once a month. District manager maybe twice. They have no clue what really goes on at the store level.

Get rid of the voicemail system and actually call a store every so often. Talk to your employees. Don't just sit in the back and talk to the store manager the whole visit.

Ok, Managers are what can get you, Loved my job

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay
    Freedom when manager isn't there
    Fast pace

Cons

Personal growth, and that's about it

Archaic and unorganized!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Trinity, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Trinity, FL

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping the customers fix their damaged hair, guiding them through processes, and choosing appropriate hair color can be rewarding for cosmetologists.

Cons

The list is long. Poor store management, manager leaves when she wants. Store specials are not in the computer and are entered manually? No problem, the codes are conveniently printed and placed by the register, all 5- 6 pages front and back. Customers love to wait! Pressure to sell items of the month regardless of the product efficacy. Low pay. Theft from Co-workers because drawers are not counted properly before and after shifts. The store opens and closes with one person working. Safety and theft prevention?! Stores have 100 work hours to divide between 4 employees, the handbook implies 2 people should be on duty at all times. Hours store is open = 12 (Mon - Sat) x 6 + 7 (Sun) X 2 employees = 158 hours to cover. Manger works 40 + 100 allocated for Employees = -18 hours per week. I'm certain I've forgotten many things.
    This job is appropriate for individuals that have no respect for themselves or customers.

P&L is the only concern at Sally Beauty. Invest in educated individuals with decent pay, a more efficient computer system, and reliable managers.

Over the years company has become worse.

Former Employee - Store Manager in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New Bedford, MA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount, free employee samples each month, work with a small staff so you become like family. Product knowledge was helpful when training new hires.

Cons

Worked for the company for 7 yrs. In the beginning it was a fun place to work. As a Store Manager the workload became ridiculous. You have to be a working manager on the sales floor due to scheduled hours being low, yet a ton of paperwork to maintain. No help from District or Territory Manager when short staffed. Internal theft was big. Sometimes it didn't pay to catch employee theft. They would wipe out the staff and leave you to run it alone. Communications between upper mangement needs to improve drastically. Their KPI's that the store must make are out of control. My husband was a District Manager in another territory and was told by the Territory Manager ( his boss) that he would see if he could have the day off for the adoption of our daughter. Not a good place to work if you have family. Between hours to work and all the other drama you end up practically living there. Not very well run for such a large corporation.

Seriously think if job is worth all the aggravation. Once you are it becomes so hectic you have no time to even find another job to leave. Pay and benefits could be much better.

Good place if you have never had a job

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time

Pros

Friendly, great training, raise in six months

Cons

Minimum wage. I even have 4 years experience and a degree, but I got minimum wage. I think it would be better for someone who has never had a job.

Pay more.

It is overall a great company with a great industry name- however there are a lot of negatives as well

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, a lot of great people working at the corporate location.
    Great cafe onsite with a lot of variety to choose from
    Nice offices, well maintained

Cons

No opportunity for advancement within my department.
    There was no work/life/balance what so ever
    Benefits are not the greatest with little to no time off

People need and want more career growth
    Realize that you have valuable people arleady working for you that want to advance
    Reasses your PTO given to first year emploee's
    Implement bonus program for all employee's not just Director and above
    More communication

never a dull moment

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

never a dull moment - always something to do to make the day go by fast

Cons

theft internal - new hires that steal !!! very tacky _

Also lack of math skills and no probationary period to make bad employees easier to dismiss

Loved the products, pay not up to standard

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Samples of new products, scratch offs were fun

Cons

Long hours for sub par pay

Sally Beauty Photos

Sallys
The backroom was always kept as tidy as possible.

+ Add Photo