Sally Beauty

Updated September 17, 2014
2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 42 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 16 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy and Fun to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved working at Sally's. I worked with a good group of girls and had a great manager. One of the best managers I have ever had.

Cons

The pay is terrible. I was a store manager and i felt my employees were getting paid more than me because it was a requirement to work well over 40 hours.

Pay your employees more.

Loved the products, pay not up to standard

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Samples of new products, scratch offs were fun

Cons

Long hours for sub par pay

Good first steps in career path.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beauty, easy, and clean job, wonderful start for young people.

Cons

Poor salary and the rewards they have for sales employees is not worth it.

Middle management should be more supportive and do not take advance of their position stepping over the lower management acting like company owners.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful Management, awful to its employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were no Pro's except working with my best friend

Cons

Awful training, awful management, awful salary

Grow up

Great company!

I worked at Sally Beauty

Pros

Flexible hours, pay, discounts, friendly people

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say.

cosmoprof

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Delran, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Delran, NJ

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

free sample and reward points

Cons

pay sucks
    never get to use vacation time
    manager is rude

is good for experience thats about it

watch out they spy on you!

Former Employee - hairapist  in  Barboursville, WV
    Former Employee - hairapist in Barboursville, WV

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

employee discount is the only good thing about working at Sally's. everything else is a con because it's a small corporate store.

Cons

young immature manager, rude customers, terrible pay, mean co-workers, no cameras, no security system for shoplifting, horrible dress code

don't spy on employees and blame them for something there is no evidence for

Bummersvile

Current Employee - Hairapist"/Sales Associate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Hairapist"/Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Free products,paycheck,company discount,401k,30minbreaks,free worksmock,nice manager she should be given a job upgrade....managers give so much....they work extemely hard ...

Cons

Wow well working at sallys is interesting .the customer like suck all the info they can.ladies sample like 10nail polishes or take 20 mins to pick out an eye shadow its weird.you have to hold there little hand through the process.district managers are grossly incompetent and talk down to you like your 4.I work with drama queens in highschool who probably couldn't get a job anywhere else.your constantly cleaning and straightening .I will work with lazy people or idiots so it makes my job harder.the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job.the oddest part is u take tests and do workbooks like in summer school.I'm greatful to have a job I wish people know the truth before u apply.

Well u live in your royal castles with your colledge degrees.common sense and less is more.have u ever worked retail.you make our job harder.what's going on is beyond dumbfounding.its so pathetic .the turnover is like a merry -go-round.if u just observed one day in your stores u could run them better.some tiny circus dogs could do better they seem smarter .I waited 10yrs to work for your company and I ended up being unwhelmed and bummed .I am a top seller but I'm a hard worker .I'm like its sad I see the disconnect.I'm gonna pray for u to make better choices .

Store Manager, making barely more than Associates for 100x the stress.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free product, product discounts, rewards program, good coworkers.

Cons

VERY little pay, they say you make so much an hour, but that is based on a 40 hour work week and managers are REQUIRED to work a minimum of 47.5 hours a week with no extra pay, no compensation, nothing. Anything associates do wrong is all on your shoulders and you get blamed for it. DMs micro manage and think the only way to solve problems with associates is write ups. DMs are very condescending when you're not meeting their standards. DMs promise positions and benefits to associates then never follow through, causing associates to quit and leaving stores short handed and managers to work EVEN MORE hours!

Pay your managers what they deserve to be paid. Anyone working nearly 50 hours a week shouldn't have to be living paycheck to paycheck.

What to expect as a manager at sallys

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free product and incentives for product sales. Customer service experience. Great place to learn about off brand products.

Cons

Employees are highly unrecognized for their achievements and hard work. Psychotic hours for little pay. When emergencies arise no one wants to help cover your store. Everything is your problem and you feel like you live at your job. Absolutely no work life balance. Almost three months of black out dates you can't take vacation. Working all holidays but two. If your a manager you have no where to move up the ladder.

Managers should make more money. The 47.5 hours a week as a requirement is ridiculous. If a manager is doing a good job they should be able to get things done in a timely and efficient manner. Stop adding more holiday hours, more required days to work evenings, stop extending hours late for Easter when nobody is shopping and taking more time away from our families while your corporate offices are closed. Take the time to appreciate your employees maybe you wouldn't have such a high turnover. Have you ever though about how much the cost of living is ??? You have forced several employees to be on food stamps and work two or three jobs to make ends meet.(currently happened to two of my employees) you cannot live off of the wages you pay!!!!

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!