Sally Beauty

Updated August 19, 2014

2.5

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter
Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 42 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 16 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

So-so place to work

Current Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Denton, TX

Pros

Discount on products, decent, laid-back working environment. Great cafeteria. Most people leave at 5:00.

Cons

Like others have said, this company is still operating like a mom and pop. Most non-managers work hourly, meaning no bonuses, little time off, absolutely no flexibility to work from home (even as a graphic designer). Seems disrespectful. Management is extremely strict about time off taken, inclement weather days, etc. Low pay within the industry for tech jobs.

Be a little more flexible with employees, especially on icy days and when it comes to time off. Of course this varies between managers. Don't just try to look good to your superiors.

It's a horrible place to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Free products & great discounts.

Cons

1. I'm just an employee, don't make me do the manager's job.
    2. External theft is a HUGE problem. Installing security will cut our wage...ummm, not my problem and doesn't make any sense. (?_?)
    3. My GM's attitude isn't customer friendly, I don't know how she is able to climb up to management.

Treat others like how you would like to be treated.

my first 4 years were great and i was able to grow fast with the company. since than its gone down hill.

Pros

I like that its challenging. Many ways to get bonuses if your manager

Cons

Not getting all the bonuses is hard but not impossible. upper management very rude not organized. very demanding schedule not a flexible. raises are not very rewarding but company demands alot from you. communication is poor with my upper management but i have work by side different management and was very happy.

Treat you people better. better communication is a must. better pay and raises.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at sallys I can provide one on one customer relations to provide them with good experience and a good product.

Current Employee - Clerk\cashier  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Clerk\cashier in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

good products and job incentives make working at sallys beneficial. I have made relationships here that will last a long time.

Cons

Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be

Get to kow your store clerks better because they are the ones dealing with the cust6omers and selling the products.

Wonderful people and easy job.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales  in  Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in Brentwood, TN

Pros

Incentive benefits, relaxed environment, freedom in making choices (trust employees), great management.

Cons

Could have more training for non-professionals.

What everyone says...higher pay.

Not always what it seems

Current Employee - Auditor  in  Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Auditor in Denton, TX

Pros

Discounts on beauty products
    Get to test products
    People are friendly
    Get to travel to places I've never been

Cons

Salary is not competitive to the rest of the industry
    Company is cheap when it comes to traveling
    Cannot advance within my department without a certification, so obviously experience doesn't matter.

Consider all qualifications when making the decision to promote employees (I.e. Experience, education, work performance, etc.)

Hairapist/Sales Associate

Current Employee - "Hairapist"/Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - "Hairapist"/Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

Thorough training on hair care, products, and color which is useful for those without cosmetology license. Free products and great employee rewards.

Cons

You can't call out without it being an issue, requesting time off is a hassle, low pay even with cosmetology license, sales are confusing to most customers which causes them to make scenes.

Be more open minded, you are trying to appeal to those who work in the beauty industry so you should support the appearance of all. Especially with hair.

Low pay, constantly getting choked about personal numbers not being good, typical basic sales job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in DFW, TX

Pros

The products. I love the products that we sell, and I am enthusiastic to share them with other customers.

Cons

Low pay, constantly either stocking or dusting, constantly having to re-arrange shelves for what corporate thinks will look better, constantly (every week) changing prices on at least 50 products, MAJOR THEFT PROBLEMS,

Invest a little money into getting video cameras, or trackers in the products that way you won't lose so much stuff. I'm tired of having to watch every single customer with an eagle eye so that they won't steal anything, yet if they do we aren't supposed to do anything about it. What's the point then? The customers know the art of stealing and they know we can't/won't do anything about it, that's why it keeps happening, and why you keep losing tons of products, yet us working in the stores are the ones getting in trouble. IT'S NOT OUR FAULT! I don't know how you've been open this long, considering how much money you're losing.

Great coworkers, disorganized company

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I really felt like I was helping out my customers, the prices were fair, the products were pretty solid, and the company has a great focus on deals. They really value their professional customers, including beauty school students, but even the non professionals really do get a great deal with the Beauty Club Card (discount card, not a credit card). Monthly free full size products are given to employees to enable them to pitch sales more accurately, from experience. felt like I could stand behind what I did. There are tons of opportunities to move up in the company.
    It's a great job while in Beauty School, or if you are willing to climb to management in a huge way, it is a gigantic commitment. As a temporary position, it was worth while and enjoyable, and a great retail experience, just unreasonably stressful and tiring.

Cons

The disconnect between the corporation and the stores was huge, and that led to very unreasonable expectations. Store associates and Store Managers were on the same page usually, but even the district manager was no where near savvy on how to run a store from the inside. This lead to lots of issues. The pay is no where near worth what you are asked to do, even after raises. Manager turn over is high due to huge work load with very little incentive, same for the assistant manager positions. They are exceptionally wasteful, both in shipping and their product disposal.

Learn more about the job you are asking of your in store employees. Increase pay, it will lead to better retention. Screen employees more before higher.

Little "Big" Company Mentality

Pros

People are very nice. Company events and communications are very organized. Nice offices.

Cons

Very little room for advancement. Executives are too involved in small decisions. There are not enough resources available to accomplish projects in a timely manner. Resources are overworked.

Focus on the big picture not the daily business decisions. Add resources to the departments that are bottlenecks.

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!