Sally Beauty

www.sallybeautyholdings.com

Sally Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Sally Beauty – Denton – “Sallys”

Sally Beauty – Denton – “Sallys”

Sally Beauty President, CEO, and Director Gary G. Winterhalter

Gary G. Winterhalter

Pros
  • Get free products, some good employees to work with (in 42 reviews)

• Due to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not in touch with store level clerks like they should be (in 16 reviews)

• the district manager needs a reality check I could do his job (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

no respect for their workers

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros- easy to earn points on IOMs and storewide rewards
    - the sally rewards catalogue has nice quality items
    - good employee sampling program
    - no restrictive policies on employee tattoos/piercings
    - willing to give you almost 40 hours a week even if you're supposedly part-time
    - friendly coworkers who share an interest in beauty products
    - not a very corporate vibe because of the small staff in each store

Cons- working 40 hours a week without the benefits of being considered a full-time employee

- you cannot request more than 2 days off per pay period in your first year, and forget about taking a sick day. people where i worked have had to stay at the store when they are throwing up on themselves because there are usually only 4-5 employees including the manager and no one will cover your shift for you

- don't know if this is the case at all sally stores or just in my store/district, but my manager
    would routinely lie to employees about the dress code, i.e. when i was hired she told me we were only allowed to wear black leggings, no black jeans or "anything with back pockets", then later when i addressed my being uncomfortable wearing revealing clothing to work with the DM i was told we in fact were allowed to wear black jeans... then my manager suspiciously announced that the dress code had changed again 2 weeks later.

- constantly being told you are replaceable and acting like they're doing you a favor by putting you at full-time without asking how many hours you want, then threatening to cut your hours if you can't keep yourself busy

- the amount of fronting and facing they expect you to do in such a small store is crazy, there were only 3 aisles in my location and 3 employees would be working, yet they expect you to keep yourself busy for 8 hours in one aisle or face disciplinary action.

- expect to have your manager texting/calling you on your days off, talking about your coworkers behind their backs and talking about you to your coworkers. it seems this company doesn't expect their sales associates to have a life behind this menial job that pays barely above minimum wage.

Advice to Senior Managementif you have excessively high turnover at your store, maybe you should look into the store manager

Cheap Company and Frequently Harassed By Customers

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsYou can buy things with IOM points
    Free trips
    Free product trial
    Decent discount
    Some really nice customers
    Good first time job
    Fun place to work
    Dress code isn't too bad, just black pants and a smock really
    Leniency on piercings/tattoos
    Don't have to do your own inventory

ConsLow pay, even with experience I started at minimum wage
    SMALL raises every 6 months
    Extremely rude customers, on the verge of having to get law enforcement involved because we were being stalked/harassed
    High risk of being robbed, even in a very nice location
    Long hours, 9+
    High turnover
    4 employees or less for one store is TOO FEW
    Not great scheduling
    Too high of expectations for the pay
    A lot to learn
    Customers think you're all trained beauticians, but you're not
    District manager is INSANE, sits in the parking lot even on days off and harasses the store

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so cheap and HIRE MORE PEOPLE, WE NEED HELP

Low pay, constantly getting choked about personal numbers not being good, typical basic sales job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) DFW, TX

ProsThe products. I love the products that we sell, and I am enthusiastic to share them with other customers.

ConsLow pay, constantly either stocking or dusting, constantly having to re-arrange shelves for what corporate thinks will look better, constantly (every week) changing prices on at least 50 products, MAJOR THEFT PROBLEMS,

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest a little money into getting video cameras, or trackers in the products that way you won't lose so much stuff. I'm tired of having to watch every single customer with an eagle eye so that they won't steal anything, yet if they do we aren't supposed to do anything about it. What's the point then? The customers know the art of stealing and they know we can't/won't do anything about it, that's why it keeps happening, and why you keep losing tons of products, yet us working in the stores are the ones getting in trouble. IT'S NOT OUR FAULT! I don't know how you've been open this long, considering how much money you're losing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great coworkers, disorganized company

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI really felt like I was helping out my customers, the prices were fair, the products were pretty solid, and the company has a great focus on deals. They really value their professional customers, including beauty school students, but even the non professionals really do get a great deal with the Beauty Club Card (discount card, not a credit card). Monthly free full size products are given to employees to enable them to pitch sales more accurately, from experience. felt like I could stand behind what I did. There are tons of opportunities to move up in the company.
    It's a great job while in Beauty School, or if you are willing to climb to management in a huge way, it is a gigantic commitment. As a temporary position, it was worth while and enjoyable, and a great retail experience, just unreasonably stressful and tiring.

ConsThe disconnect between the corporation and the stores was huge, and that led to very unreasonable expectations. Store associates and Store Managers were on the same page usually, but even the district manager was no where near savvy on how to run a store from the inside. This lead to lots of issues. The pay is no where near worth what you are asked to do, even after raises. Manager turn over is high due to huge work load with very little incentive, same for the assistant manager positions. They are exceptionally wasteful, both in shipping and their product disposal.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more about the job you are asking of your in store employees. Increase pay, it will lead to better retention. Screen employees more before higher.

Little "Big" Company Mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are very nice. Company events and communications are very organized. Nice offices.

ConsVery little room for advancement. Executives are too involved in small decisions. There are not enough resources available to accomplish projects in a timely manner. Resources are overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the big picture not the daily business decisions. Add resources to the departments that are bottlenecks.

It was a positive experience that contributed with my retail skills.

Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) Pompano Beach, FL

ProsDue to my permanent exposure to clients I was able to strengthened my customer service and sales skills.

Conslow growth opportunity. Better Management people

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter people in managment

Meh.... Advanced fast...but plateau opportunities at store manager.

ProsThey know their stuff and expect you too as well. Continued education on product knowledge is a wonderful thing. Keep you up to date on latest hair/nail trends and tools.

Cons"Points" system to "shop" at company site. Great incentive at first, but after a year, you could easily own everything on the site... Still responsible for paying tax on face value of item...even ought you're never shown what the face value is.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission goals are near impossible to meet. Goals are highly unattainable

Programmer Analyst

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Denton, TX

ProsWorked with some great people.
    Nice corporate headquarters with a cafeteria and subsidized meals.
    Nice discount on products.

ConsNo investment in employees career or helping them to grow professionally. Prepare for a stale career.
    No room for advancement. People tend to "just stay" at Sally for a long time. The only way to get promoted is if someone leaves the company.
    Lack of appreciation. Employees help make the company a multi-billion dollar company and all they got were balloons and a crummy card that said, "Thanks A Billion". The executives get nice bonuses though.
    The HR department is a travesty. I have never worked with such incompetence. Plenty of backstabbing from people that are supposed to help. There is an attitude of "because I said so" mentality.
    They have rid themselves of offering milestone anniversary gifts.
    Nice building, but they are at max capacity. Time for doubling up in cubicles?
    Expect a 3% annual increase, nothing more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the "little people" that got you to a multi-billion dollar company. Stop the games and repress the egos. Help instead of hinder.

Working in a dismal situation with no hope in sight.working in crude conditions and a incompetent district manager

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsPaycheck
    Free products
    Paycheck
    A 30 min break
    A free work smock
    Free name tag

ConsMaking qoutas
    Needy and grouchy and mean customers
    Dealing with hard people like highschool and working with total idiots
    Dealing with grossly incompetant district managers
    Low pay
    No room for growth
    Working with people on drugs
    Dealing with customers who scream at u
    Working so hard your beyond burnt out
    Horrid register program
    U have to take monthly tests to keep your job
    Your always treatened to keep your job
    Honestly somedays I go in the bathroom and cry

Advice to Senior ManagementWell it breaks my heart how u treat us as employees it is so pathetic how the company is run a well trained amazon parrot could do better they seem more intelligent

It was a good start and experience

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsIt was a good opportunity to start out with. Get free products, some good employees to work with.

ConsNo opportunity to move up in the company. Lousy pay raises. Lousy management, no credit where credit is due.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in on your employees more ofter

Worked for Sally Beauty? Contribute to the Community!