Salmat

Updated December 12, 2014
2.9

CEO

Work life balance

Current Employee - Operation Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Operation Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Salmat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance for strategic roles.

Cons

Operational staff seems to have minimal work life balance (i.e. IT / operation teams working on project - expected to work long hours)

Put money where needed - better IT / Commercial teams / resources.

Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Contractor - Work From Home in Adelaide (Australia)
    Former Employee - Contractor - Work From Home in Adelaide (Australia)

I worked at Salmat

Pros

Working from home. Fellow workers were lovely, honest hard working people. Unfortunately most were too scared to speak out at the ill treatment until after they were all laid off when there jobs were given to New Zealand instead.

Cons

Too many to list. In a nutshell they'd do anything they could to squeeze the last cent of profit from everything. Arbitrary decisions that they would change at will to deduct up to 50% of your pay. They'd take up to quarter of your pay for saying the customers name in the second to last sentence instead of the last sentence, or for getting a single comma or full stop wrong. There were no lows they wouldn't stoop to in an effort to not pay their so called contractors. In reality we were employees but they could get away with paying us as little as $2 an hour by making us be self employed - and yes, they'd guide us through the process of becoming self employed and then train us to do the job because (unlike real contractors) we weren't offering skills, we'd never been self employed before, so we had to be trained how to do the job. Do not ever agree to work for them unless you are getting an hourly rate or pay and read the contract or better still take it to a lawyer, or they will make sure you end up working for virtually nothing. It was the most hostile working environment I, and 120 of my fellow workers, have every encountered.

First, grow a conscience. Second, hire some management that have some integrity, stop pretending you don't know what is going on. Stop cooking the stats, stop treating your 'contractors' like 3rd world children who should be satisfied with a few pennies thrown in their general direction. If you weren't doing such despicable things you wouldn't' need to spend so much money on lawyers, I've never known a company who gets sued or bad mouthed as much as you - and all justified.

Corporate Penny Pinching and Image Falsification at its finest.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Salmat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The friends you make through collective suffering...... That's about it.....no seriously. I have nothing else to put here. There are no other pros.

Cons

- minimum wage base rate

- management will look for any excuse cut commission to fit within their budget.

- false promises of career progression.

- massive focus on alcohol within the workplace culture.

- constant big brother style monitoring that makes you feel like you are living George Orwell's 1984. As of 2014 they now record you're personal conversations you have at your desk in between calls.

- you have 10 minutes of "personal time" a day in which you can leave your desk for water, toilet breaks etc etc. If you go over that management force you into a conversation about why. Be prepared to talk about needing to take a dump with management as if you were a 3 year old child talking to mum.

- the project you do for them will go under and you will be redeployed elsewhere in the company to avoid paying you a redundancy. They don't care where you go and if it's a job you don't wish to pursue they put that you resigned on your separating certificate.

- anti-Union culture that management try to spread every year the union reps come around by holding group meetings slandering the unions and encouraging entry level employees to use legal loopholes. (ie: claiming harassment from a rep so that we could have them legally removed from the building)

-budget cuts means that work social events are extremely rare.

- often there will be days systems shut down, in which case you are sent home early, unpaid. This is non optional even if your contract states otherwise.

- targets are raised when your team is succeeding so that management can reduce the amount of commission they are pay you to fit their budget.
    - top management (CEO) claim they are easy to approach and happy to talk to you.......just "lol" on that one.

- will force you to enrol in courses that do nothing for you as far as industry standard is concerned because they get pay outs from the government to do so. These are boring and take you away from your ability to earn commission.

- everything is procedural and the human condition isn't considered.

- don't handle serious complaints appropriately and management encourage social ostracisation of people who do complain, this never happened to me personally but saw it happen 4-5 times over a 3 year period to other people.

- outdated everything. (computers, phones , systems, heating and cooling)

- you will get sick, a lot. The flu runs rampant about 7-8 months of the year. I had influenza 5 times a year on average working in this building. Haven't experienced this before or after working there.

- forced two weeks annual leave over the Christmas break every year making it incredibly hard to accumulate annual leave.

- constant breaches of trades acts.

- they pay their recruitment team to come on apps like this and leave false positive reviews.

Pay the people putting food on your table more than minimum wage and treat them like human beings. You are so discontented from the bottom that you don't understand the conditions you are condemning your staff to.

Be honest with your practices. If there is no room for career progression, don't claim there is.

Stop claiming you're treating your staff well because you were awarded a "best employer" status once, many moons ago from some magazine no one reads. I'm better off unemployed and studying than I was working for your company, in both finance and mentality.

Good culture, treat staff like kids

I worked at Salmat full-time

Pros

Good culture for younger people wanting a fun office job

Cons

Many mundane tasks that ultimately don't get used. Tends to be a lot of micro management from the top down.

Devise a strategy and stick to it.

Overall is a good place to work

Current Employee - Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Salmat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

location, working hours, benefits, up to date IT equipment.

Cons

work pace is too slow. Too much time waste in planning and arguments which leads to nothing

Media Agency Sales - DON'T ACCEPT THE ROLE!!!

Former Employee - Agency Sales Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Agency Sales Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Salmat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Decent culture within my team alone
     - Central location
     - Good salary
     - Can get away with murder
     - Work your own hours (your boss doesn't know)
     - Easy to steal other peoples lunches

Cons

- EVERYTHING!
     - The overall company culture is old and archaic
     - The product we sell to media agencies is the worst, outdated thing ever!
     - Terrible reputation in the industry
     - Slow processes
     - No advancement
     - Place smells
     - Pitched as a CBD role but you are forced to spend time in SE Suburbs at their headquarters
     - Don't spend any money on employees

Stick with direct marketing and junk mail. Its what you know, what your good at and where you will stay til junk mail dies. Dont play in a new environment you wont and cant adapt to!

Big No No

I worked at Salmat

Pros

Company was advertised as best place to work for with all big words. In reality, there are no such things, often make redundancies to few staff, and even replace with inexperienced new comer within one to two months time.

Cons

Look lots of benefits but in reality not that useful nor beneficial to staff.

Salmat CES

I have been working at Salmat full-time

Pros

There are some great people but must of them are hindered by the internal factions

Cons

Work in silos. Highly competitive and poor culture

Rapidly changing organisation

I worked at Salmat full-time

Pros

great people, fantastic technology and real willingness to try new approaches

Cons

Long tenure of senior management

I love the work environment and the management! There is work-life banance and the workload is just enough.

I have been working at Salmat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture and open comms with management team

Cons

It's too far from my house, but I'm not complaining because the people are great and they don't stress me out.

Salmat Photos