Saltgrass Steakhouse

CEO

Good work environment.

Current Employee - Waiter in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Waiter in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Saltgrass Steakhouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a company run culture. If you buy into the culture you will advance quickly.

Cons

The more you buy in the longer your shifts are.

Decent

I worked at Saltgrass Steakhouse

Pros

Great money as a waiter.

Cons

Long hours as a manager

Fun to work at but managers could care less about you.

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Saltgrass Steakhouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get half off all menu items.

Cons

it is very difficult to get time off.

Treat employees like you value them. They work for 2.17 an hour, they can easily go work elsewhere.

Server Life!

Current Employee - Server in Kemah, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Kemah, TX

I have been working at Saltgrass Steakhouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really good place to make good money, great to socialize with servers in and out of work. Cash in hand

Cons

Very long shifts if you work doubles, management can be trifling at times, always another server whining. Tips can be TERRIBLE.

Make sure Management positions arent given servers in same store. "power control"

It's a love hate relationship!!

I have been working at Saltgrass Steakhouse

Pros

Love most of my Co workers and my manager's. They work with me because me and my partner work for them. Co workers are pretty good about helping out picking up shifts. Great team work. In the slow season but it's picking up. Love the discount and so does my family.

Cons

Still paying a full tip out when we don't have a bus boy or a host. When we tip the bar out when we run their food and bus their tables and we have to pay to run credit cards ( the tip refund on ur check out). When being hired gave days I could and couldn't work just to have it switched all around on me. Oh and hiring host that just don't get it!! We as servers have to do a host training shift. I think they should have to do a follow server shift so they can understand better about double seating people and spacing seat times.

Quit being such a penny pincher that we run out of stupid stuff like straws and to go items. Just because you need to save on labor doesn't mean us servers have to pick up everyone else's job because we get paid less and we still tip out. You want to send shelfers home and host and bus people then you pick up the slack. The bussers only pick up glasses and linen. We pretty much bus are own tables. We run our food. When the host is "busy" we sit the tables. I just say pay us a little bit more and hr and I would say it's pretty even.

Overall, the experience was good, but I was constantly stressed and overwhelmed.

Former Employee - Server in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Humble, TX

I worked at Saltgrass Steakhouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are "Texas Friendly," which is treating everyone with equal respect and kindness. I like the values of the company and for the most part enjoyed the people I worked with. I also really felt like some of the managers actually did care.

Cons

The hours are challenging and you of course work for your tips, so you either went home with a lot of money or no money. The area I was in brought a lot of awful customers who didn't tip well, walked out on their checks, or were just flat out rude. Also, if our shirts weren't dry cleaned and ironed perfectly, they made you go home, which meant no money. You have to work on the weekends.

It was really great how you always did sales competitions and whoever won would get free meals, get to go home first, etc. I would say just make sure you are constantly motivating and trying to help your employees advance, because showing your employees you really care goes a long way.

Good job

Former Employee - Head Host
    Former Employee - Head Host

I worked at Saltgrass Steakhouse (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment
    Good pay
    everyone works as a team
    flexible with schedules
    helpful with job transitions
    always hiring, always open job opportunities

Cons

Sometimes managers were very easily angered, but of course this varies by location and managing a restaurant is stressful.

Overall a good wage to earn while a student.

Former Employee - Server Trainer in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Server Trainer in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Saltgrass Steakhouse part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good to work here while a student because you can go to school during the day and work at night.
    Permanent schedule, but changes with the school year. Love this!

Cons

Working with 18-30 year old can be challenging when they bring their personal life issues to work.

One upper level manager had a personal vendetta against a lower level manager and resulted in lower level manager getting fired for no reason other than upper manager disliked lower manager.

Ok but nothing great

I worked at Saltgrass Steakhouse

Pros

Money once in a blue moon was good, the people werent to needy all the time, thats about it!

Cons

Felt like I was in high school again because the way to move up "ranking" was not based off sales alone but also a peer review so if ur not kissing all the other servers butts you aren't going to rank up I was there 6 months and a server there maybe 2 months got ranked above me. So in the 6 months I was there I never got a table with more then 5 people, I came from a high volume restaurant. Just to much of a popularity contest, and the gm lost his drugs and blamed it on me?? I let him search me and he didnt find anything, but how professional.

Don't hire druggies for management, getting all twacked out and accusing employees is not a good look

Server

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Saltgrass Steakhouse part-time

Pros

Great money, flexible schedule, fairly easy job

Cons

Favoritism and lack of communication

Become a trainer and be on the good side of high-end management