Salvation Army

Salvation Army Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Salvation Army Chairman National Advisory Board Rob Pace

Rob Pace

Pros:
  • "You work for an organization in the business of helping people"
    in 28 reviews
  • "good prices, doing good things to help others and helping the children"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "People have lost jobs over misunderstandings just because upper management would not investigate"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Stagnant non-profit organization"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A very disappointing work experience here.

Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is a church and it was great to be able to express my love for Christ in the workplace. The organization as a whole, does do a lot of good.

ConsVery low wages and poor benefits for employees, while officers and management essentially line their pockets. In addition, some of the behavior that takes place here contradict the very principles the organization was founded on.

Helping folks was great, the treatment from management was not.

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Salvation Army helps a LOT of people (honestly, every day. It's awesome), and being part of that feels good.

Some co-workers were great people in general, and great to work with.

Insurance premiums lower than comparable plans of every other employer I've worked for, but read my note in the Cons section.

ConsThe pay is extremely low considering the responsibilities, some co-workers were bad people in general (and even worse to work with) but most of all, management was terrible!

During my time at the Salvation Army, the management:

- Considered hard work and creative problem solving a personal career threat, not a benefit.
- Delayed paperwork. My 90 day review was given after 7 months and so was the pay raise.
- Found excuses to write up every employee, so if the supervisor wanted to fire them later there was "a history".
- Ignored requests for maintenance, then blamed employees when neglected equipment mysteriously broke.
- Played favorites among employees. The "favorites-club" could do no wrong. They were never caught showing up late, leaving early, slacking off, or stealing merchandise. They were never randomly drug tested, chastised for ignoring dress code, etc.
-And many more!

About the insurance...Whatever your ailment, you will be denied and receive a hefty doctor bill. It will be on your shoulders to call the insurance people (who don't answer phones or return calls) and inform them you were, in fact, covered. You must tell the debt collectors you had insurance and are not responsible for whatever outrageous bill they demand you pay. You will feel cheated, disrespected, and have a many month long headache. Buyer Beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo find another company to ruin. The Salvation Army does a lot of good and doesn't need idiots polluting it's mission.

Excellent.

Driver/Donation Attendant (Former Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I worked at Salvation Army part-time for less than a year

ProsThe opportunity to help those that are in need of assistance in bettering their lives ,through unfortunate circumstances. I enjoy helping people,

ConsThere are no downside to helping those ,that are in need.It is the Godly yhing to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it the good work.Thank you.

Salvation Army

Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for more than a year

ProsTheir slogan is, "Doing the most good"

ConsWeird culture, low pay, bad management

Advice to Senior Managementclean house

Rewarding but a challenge

Program Support (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Salvation Army part-time for less than a year

ProsGood working environment, staff was friendly, extremely rewarding to help the needy.

ConsManagement was indecisive, some of the public believe in being given special treatment,

Advice to Senior ManagementMAKE UP YOUR MIND

Stuck in the legendary past

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat vision of service to transform lives. Some truly exceptional people.

ConsLocal boards have "advisory" power only; actual authority is with corporate board and at corporate office. Lacks structure and perhaps vision for nimble response to 21st century needs. Lacks detailed ethics guidelines comparable to similar international organizations, with predictable results.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnite in a single corporate entity with uniform practices. Stop competing with yourself. Flow the greatest resources to the areas with the greatest need, instead of keeping the greatest resources in the communities that are wealthy enough to raise the most money.

It is improving although it would be better to see more employee recognition and compensation for all.

Store Employee (Current Employee)
Boise, ID

I have been working at Salvation Army part-time for more than a year

ProsClean environment, every day there is a new challenge with the variety of donations. Changes to improve the store makes a difference for all, clients and employees.

ConsLack of employee recognition, cliques, lack of job expectations, lack of consistent reviews of employees and salary increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you spent a little more money into your employees it would help to have less of a high turnover. Recognition or Employee of the Month would greatly improve the moral. Offering benefits would also help. When you invest in your employees you will get so much more in the overall goals of more sales and more money to get into the outreaches. Allow employees to share their ideas and not just do things the way management thinks things should be done.

I learned a lot from working at the Salvation Army

Client Advocate (Former Employee)
Independence, MO

I worked at Salvation Army part-time for more than 5 years

ProsPros for working at the Salvation Army were definatly helping others who were in need. even if it was just to be there to listen when they needed someone. It really opened up my eyes to the reality of homelessness.

ConsThe cons for working for them were that they were no longer allowing full time employment. They were cutting all the employees hours. There were also non christian employees who were not there to help others.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to find employees that are more Christ like and walking the right path. Not just someone who is there for the pacheck.

Professional degrees in business are not appreciated, nor wanted.

Atlanta, GA

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for more than a year

ProsChristian fellowship with believers, people, food and location.

ConsProfessional degrees in business are not appreciated, nor wanted. Offered and initiated skills attained from over 20 years of experience only to realize Supervisor did not want nor could understand the skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen an employee develops and implements procedures by analyzing current procedures and provides initiative to improve processes consider the benefits for the organization rather than the ego of the supervisor.

It is a great place to work. The people and staff are christians who want the best for each other.

Kitchen (Current Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Salvation Army part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a place to grow on a spiritual level for the goodness of one another.

ConsWatching people leave before the miracle.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing the exceptional job you've been given to do,with love in your hearts.

Worked for Salvation Army? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Salvation Army reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Salvation Army CEO Rob Pace. All 237 reviews posted anonymously by Salvation Army employees.