Salvation Army

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014

Salvation Army Chairman National Advisory Board Rob Pace
Rob Pace

Pros
  • You work for an organization in the business of helping people (in 35 reviews)

• Mission focused on helping others and fostering Christian values (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • People have lost jobs over misunderstandings just because upper management would not investigate (in 16 reviews)

• Culture: identity crisis between being a church and a non-profit (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

"Doing The Most Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked for the Texas Divisional HQ - Dallas, TX
    Great hours 37 12 work week
    Good Benefits
    Great Officers with compassion and love for the Employees
    Compliant and Transparant
    Challenging and Rewarding work
    Respect
    Pay - About what is expected of a nonprofit agency. Depends on years of service and position, etc.

Cons

Need tp provide management training for new supervisors

Keep Doing The Most Good!

Amazing place to learn the ropes of PR!

I have been working at Salvation Army

Pros

I have interned in the PR department for several months and have learned so much. I went in with only the PR knowledge I had learned at school and I was really able to get hands on experience.

Cons

Because the company is a non-profit no compensation is offered to interns and the department is small so not much room to advance.

People helping people

Former Employee - Resident Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Resident Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Salvation Army is a great asset for the public,they save peoples lives, they give people hope, and a second chance at living a clean and sober life.

Cons

There aren't any cons as far as I'm concerned. The Salvation Army does so much for the world, how can there be any cons with that

Keep up the awesome work that you all do and God Bless

Fun work for the summer

Former Employee - Summer Day Camp Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Day Camp Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The corp major and staff are really friendly. They really just want you to succeed and have fun along the way. Sometimes it felt like I wasn't even doing a job, and merely just working with friends.

Cons

Salvation Army is a religious organization. Their day camp is also geared toward biblical education. If you are not religious or have no knowledge of the bible, you might have a hard time assimilating into the work place.

The Salvation Army Clerical Receptionist

I have been working at Salvation Army

Pros

Steady shift with weekends off.
    Good benefits and pay.

Cons

The hardships your clients go threw

No complaints

The most fun I've ever had, but the most overworked I've ever been.

I worked at Salvation Army full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at one of their summer camps as a full-time counselor for 2 years was pretty rewarding. Seeing kids' lives change, knowing you're helping them grow, planning a lot of fun events to make them laugh, working with people from different parts of the world (our camp participated in Camp America which brought people from Europe and Asia to the staff.) I felt welcome (at least at first) even though I wasn't a Soldier or a part of their church.

Cons

With the exception of camp directors and permanent staff, I think everyone during summer camp season was underpaid. Especially the people who worked with kids directly. I was essentially paid $4/hour for 14 to 16 hour days and sometimes we worked 8 or 9 days straight like that before we had a day off. Also, the longer I worked for this particular camp, the more I felt isolated from my coworkers and bosses for not being a part of the Salvation Army's churches (or "corps" as they're called). Eventually it seemed like every non-Soldier/non-corps-attending person that worked there, including my self, was phased out of the staff and replaced with someone more loyal to the "brand." Even though we did really great work and still cared about ministering to the kids and all. I understand that the Army is a religious organization first, but I wish that I could've continued working for them and moved up in their organization without having to change my denomination in order to do so.

Maybe it was just the particular location where I worked, but take less focus off of hiring Army-only/Christian-only people to work for you. You are a great organization and you are shutting out decent people who may still uphold your company's values and morals even though they don't exactly align with your religion or God. Also, at least pay your workers minimum wage per hour.

It's a great way to really help people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Salvation Army full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can see first-hand the benefit of the work you do because you often work directly with the communities you are helping. The benefits aren't bad. They are generous with vacation and sick time.

Cons

The pay isn't that great.

It would be great to provide ways for upward mobility in the organization for employees.

Poor Business Management

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Kapolei, HI
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Kapolei, HI

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clean environment to work. Church functions and swim areas are very enjoyable.

Cons

For the personal training staff, the management is horrendous. It is run by people who do not know how to improve getting more clients and the trainers do not get paid well at all. I received 10% of what the clients pay so my time was wasted. Left this scam organization. They take the clients' money and pay you scraps.

Hire a manager who knows how to manage each section correctly. Pay the trainers what they deserve. If you are a "Christian organization" then treat the stakeholders (your employees) with respect. The clients see the poor treatment.

Overall, my experience here has been wonderful because of the employees creating and maintaining a family atmosphere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Salvation Army full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the Augusta, GA Kroc Center, a family atmosphere exists, and teamwork. No raises have been awarded in 3 years. The compensation is at the lower range for all positions.

Cons

Promotions are awarded to those who are well liked in the company. No matter how much education you have, it is very hard to get promoted.

Utilize the talent that exists in house before you seek talent elsewhere.

Seasonal Employment

Former Employee - Instructor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Salvation Army as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You are helping the community and, as an instructor, you're granted a fair amount of autonomy. The office culture is friendly. The compensation was good for the work done.

Cons

I would have liked to have had better communication as to what the next steps were for my particular program. The management seemed a little unorganized.

I admire the company values.