Salvation Army

Salvation Army Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Salvation Army Chairman National Advisory Board Rob Pace

Rob Pace

Pros
  • You work for an organization in the business of helping people(in 31 reviews)

• Ability to work with, and also help others who happen to be less fortunate(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • People have lost jobs over misunderstandings just because upper management would not investigate(in 14 reviews)

• There is not much room for advancement and they need to pay more to their employees(in 7 reviews)

Bell Ringer

Bell Ringer (Former Employee) Coeur d'Alene, ID

ProsWork in fresh air, meet good people Helped for a great cause They do a lot in this community. They have a community center with health club, coffee shop, church services.

ConsSometimes weather can be bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement did good job

It changed my life

Volunteer Services and Christmas Coordinator (Former Employee) North Las Vegas, NV

ProsIt's fun sorting through the clothes, see all the wonderful things people donate, and all the money goes to helping those in need.

ConsIt's super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the girls have a bit more fun

Great charity to work for but with some drawbacks

ProsThere are plenty of opportunities for a Christian professional to work at the state offices. A well run company that does its best to fulfill the mission to support the programs and reduce needless spending.

ConsSince it is a church, the majority of administration is clergy. Sometimes you get a good or excellent boss; sometimes you get an incompetent, overbearing one. In my past experiences, I have had bosses without college degrees tell me how to do the job I was heavily educated in and experienced with. Also, it is a non profit so money is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to rely on your professionals more and not on the opinion of strong willed clergy. Let the clergy do the programs and church meetings and your let your professionals help guide you in the business side.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can be very rewarding helping those in need.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redlands, CA

ProsThe Salvation Army is like a big Christian family. They have many well thought out policies and procedures in place to ensure things such as, preventing elder abuse, preventing any inappropriate behavior between adults and minors, and also between adults. They offer many programs and activities for adults and children.

ConsAs a nonprofit, you will never make much money here. Sometimes if your work is not done, you will need to sign out and complete your job as a volunteer. Policies and their emphasis change sometimes daily, depending upon the whim of the Captains. I you are not a part of the clique, you will be left out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to pay and retain dedicated , talented employees. Set policies and stick to them, no favoritism. Soldiers need to not only talk the talk but walk the walk. Sally up! Don't rely on your volunteers to do all the work while soldiers and staff sit and eat all day! Make sure that your staff and soldiers have a passion for this ministry and know what they are there for.

Work=work=work=work=unappreciation

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsYour really helping others change there lives around.

ConsYou wont feel appreciated for none of the hard work you put in, pay runs a tight second next to nothing, horrible communication problems, lots of small b.s to sort through, emotionally draining, very stressfull, just have to keep in mind that your not in it for the pay, or respect or you'll be so out of there! Pretty much this would be a job that a bunch of illegal immigrants would dream of, or someone who just wants to help out others.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a chance expecting the world out of an employee while hating at the same time isnt gonna help productivity.

Do not invest your time

Office Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWe helped the community when the officer approved and unlocked the door.
    We would give food to the homeless when they could provide a phone number and address (I found this to be so horrible)

ConsThe Benefits for regular staff was not the best
    Management changes often
    You are not valued if you are not a part of the Salvation Army's ministry.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery Officer is not fit or ment to run a Corps.

Consider All Aspects

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat community provider.

ConsWish they supported their staff as well as they do the community. Lots of turnover - especially after fund raising initiatives. Should work harder to retain staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate staff and retain them, rather than terminate them so frequently after fundraising drives each year. Should implement the same core values to staff that they do for communities and public.

crewmember/intern assist client in identifying social support.

/Crew Member (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

Prostraining as a drug and alcohol counselor, training as staff

Conscompany values, time off policies

Advice to Senior Managementpersonal growth

great work atmosphere . great experience working with veterans

Prosgreat work experience and staff i s dedicated

Consworking with veterans with unpredictable behavior.

Disappointed

Shelter Director (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN

ProsJob satisfaction. paid-time off, excellent benefits, family oriented. Promote from within. Helping others to improve their lives.

Consinconsistent adherence to polices. long hours during holiday season. management changes often. often have to advise and "case manage" without training.

Advice to Senior Managementstreamline operation policies to provide more consistency for employees. Provide additional training and development to allow employees who are in social services to better assist clients.

Worked for Salvation Army? Contribute to the Community!