Salvation Army Reviews

428 reviews filtered by
3.2
Salvation Army Chairman National Advisory Board Rob Pace
Rob Pace

Pros
  • You work for an organization in the business of helping people (in 35 reviews)

• Mission focused on helping others and fostering Christian values (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • People have lost jobs over misunderstandings just because upper management would not investigate (in 16 reviews)

• Culture: identity crisis between being a church and a non-profit (in 15 reviews)

1. Incredible Organization!

Former Contractor - Volunteer Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Contractor - Volunteer Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Salvation Army as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The Salvation Army is an incredible organization that stays true to its mission.

Cons

Depending on which Salvation Army you work at, the company cultures can vary drastically.

Advice to Management

More intentional communication.

2. Lifeguard

Former Employee - Lifeguard in East Troy, WI
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in East Troy, WI

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a Salvation Army summer camp (in Wisconsin) was a mostly positive experience. I had a great deal of independence and the environment was fun. Planning activities and interacting with children made for a great summer job.

Cons

Dealing with other counselors was sometimes a problem. Some did not take their jobs seriously which made other people's work more difficult.

Advice to Management

I would recommend having a better method for selecting employees. Right now, employment seems too much based on beliefs and not enough on work ethic.

3. Salvation Army

I worked at Salvation Army

Pros

The program was a great experience for all youth who participated.

Cons

Hard to work for because of regulations

Advice to Management

Policies are difficult to work with

5. I enjoyed working with my ex-coworkers, they will be missed.

Former Employee - Telephone Agent in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Telephone Agent in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Salvation Army (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with.

Cons

The Administrator is in total control of everything, all decisions, everything.

Advice to Management

Think about others.

6. Load glasses to a belt and into an furnace and let it heat up and put the material onto a pallet

Former Contractor - Warehouse Associate in Schiller Park, IL
    Former Contractor - Warehouse Associate in Schiller Park, IL

I worked at Salvation Army as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and great hours

Cons

Not to much cons ti go on

7. HPRP Coordinator

I worked at Salvation Army full-time

Pros

Work space and environment. 35 hour work week. Great, compassionate coworkers.

Cons

No supportive on boarding process. Upper echelon of long term supervisors need closer supervision and direction.

Advice to Management

Develop and implement policies, procedures, and training plan for new staff and to continuously develop the staff you have.

8. DO NOT RECOMMEND

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Slave in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Slave in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Salvation Army part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers, I enjoyed working with my team at the Family thrift store In Hillsboro, OR, we work hard and have fun together

Cons

Administrative- during my hiring interview (4/15/14) the (then) assistant manager told me that Mormons Steal, (red flag anybody?)

In December of 2014 I was Verbally assaulted by the assistant manager after she asked me to complete a task (polish the chrome clothing racks), i was multitasking cashiering and other customer service so I explained that "I'll Try" and she got in my face close enough for spit to hit me and SCREAMED at me "DO IT OR THAT'S INSUBORDINATION"

Communication is poor among management, we will get scolded from one manager as to why we followed directions from another manager the previous day.

ANYTHING THAT GOES WRONG IS THE EMPLOYEES FAULT. deal with it.

I've been told flat out by management, Don't expect a raise

We have an employee with a long KNOWN BED BUG PROBLEM, who shares common space with other employees, BED BUGS ARE A PARASITE AND CAN TRAVEL, at no point did Salvation Army require this employee to treat this condition. NOR IS THERE ANY EDUCATION PROVIDED TO DONATION ATTENDANTS /EMPLOYEES REGARDING THESE PARASITES. the only preventative measures is a spray can of "bed bug spray" and ONLY MATTRESSES ARE TREATED EVEN THOUGH ANY SOFT FURNITURE IS LIABLE TO CONTAIN BED BUGS. so couches and chairs are NOT treated.
    I personally ended up bringing home BED BUGS (which ive NEVER had before in my life) and I Incurred a $300 bill for extermination. I Brought this to management who in turn GAVE ME 3 WRITE-UPS FOR THIS ISSUE. So I was punished for having bed bugs. The other employee in question is still employed by Salvation Army.

In February of 2015 another employee severed a finger loading furniture into a customers vehicle, safety materials such as gloves are NOT PROVIDED.

THEFT IS RAMPANT. but nobody does anything about it.
    But theft must be only among employees because they require bag checks and locker checks. so NO EMPLOYEE PRIVACY.

4/2015- Administrative no longer allows employees to use their own personal cell phones on designated break time because its "paid time"

4/2015- we are required to sign an ARBITRATION AGREEMENT stating that we cannot sue the company, I refused to sign and was mailed a demand letter stating that if i continue employment with the Salvation army that would constitute an agreement with the arbitration agreement.
    so its an ULTIMATUM either I resign or I sign my rights away.

EXTREME RELIGIOUS UNDERTONE.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, they are the ones who hold this company together. better communication among management

9. Program Ministries

I have been working at Salvation Army

Pros

Great place to work and development

Cons

I don't have in this moment

10. TSA in Australia

I worked at Salvation Army

Pros

This was a great organisation to work for.

Cons

I had no problems during my employment with The Salvation Army

this was a challenging job with teens that had some scary backgrounds

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Salvation Army full-time

Pros

if you work hard and are one to avoid gossip, you should be fine. Some shifts are short of workers on purpose

Cons

person in charge of finances will not allow raises, so it feels you are unappreciated. Not many advancement opportunities for the lower end of the work ladder

Advice to Management

the financial person is the reason for several people leaving the non profit organization, just a few changes from one individual could make a big difference.