Salvation Army Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

Salvation Army Chairman National Advisory Board Rob Pace
Rob Pace

Pros
  • You work for an organization in the business of helping people (in 31 reviews)

• Ability to work with, and also help others who happen to be less fortunate (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • People have lost jobs over misunderstandings just because upper management would not investigate (in 14 reviews)

• There is not much room for advancement and they need to pay more to their employees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good way to start a training as sales associate/cashier.

I have been working at Salvation Army

Pros

A good starting point for retail experiences.

Cons

Minimum wage.
    Employees scheduled of work is not balance. Sometimes you have to wait for the next employee to get your break.Some rules and regulation by the administrator are mess up!

Before rugging out a very tight section of clothes why not put them on sale(New color tag are full price the rest are half)

Can be very rewarding helping those in need.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

I worked at Salvation Army part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Salvation Army is like a big Christian family. They have many well thought out policies and procedures in place to ensure things such as, preventing elder abuse, preventing any inappropriate behavior between adults and minors, and also between adults. They offer many programs and activities for adults and children.

Cons

As a nonprofit, you will never make much money here. Sometimes if your work is not done, you will need to sign out and complete your job as a volunteer. Policies and their emphasis change sometimes daily, depending upon the whim of the Captains. I you are not a part of the clique, you will be left out.

Find a way to pay and retain dedicated , talented employees. Set policies and stick to them, no favoritism. Soldiers need to not only talk the talk but walk the walk. Sally up! Don't rely on your volunteers to do all the work while soldiers and staff sit and eat all day! Make sure that your staff and soldiers have a passion for this ministry and know what they are there for.

Work=work=work=work=unappreciation

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Salvation Army full-time for less than a year

Pros

Your really helping others change there lives around.

Cons

You wont feel appreciated for none of the hard work you put in, pay runs a tight second next to nothing, horrible communication problems, lots of small b.s to sort through, emotionally draining, very stressfull, just have to keep in mind that your not in it for the pay, or respect or you'll be so out of there! Pretty much this would be a job that a bunch of illegal immigrants would dream of, or someone who just wants to help out others.

Give employees a chance expecting the world out of an employee while hating at the same time isnt gonna help productivity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not invest your time

Former Employee - Office Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We helped the community when the officer approved and unlocked the door.
    We would give food to the homeless when they could provide a phone number and address (I found this to be so horrible)

Cons

The Benefits for regular staff was not the best
    Management changes often
    You are not valued if you are not a part of the Salvation Army's ministry.

Every Officer is not fit or ment to run a Corps.

It changed my life

Former Employee - Volunteer Services and Christmas Coordinator  in  North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Volunteer Services and Christmas Coordinator in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's fun sorting through the clothes, see all the wonderful things people donate, and all the money goes to helping those in need.

Cons

It's super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter.

Let the girls have a bit more fun

crewmember/intern assist client in identifying social support.

Current Employee - /Crew Member  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - /Crew Member in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Salvation Army full-time for more than a year

Pros

training as a drug and alcohol counselor, training as staff

Cons

company values, time off policies

personal growth

great work atmosphere . great experience working with veterans

I have been working at Salvation Army

Pros

great work experience and staff i s dedicated

Cons

working with veterans with unpredictable behavior.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Shelter Director  in  Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Shelter Director in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Salvation Army full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job satisfaction. paid-time off, excellent benefits, family oriented. Promote from within. Helping others to improve their lives.

Cons

inconsistent adherence to polices. long hours during holiday season. management changes often. often have to advise and "case manage" without training.

streamline operation policies to provide more consistency for employees. Provide additional training and development to allow employees who are in social services to better assist clients.

Worked as a guitar teacher for two classes of mixed age elementary school students.

Former Employee - Guitar Teacher  in  Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Guitar Teacher in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Salvation Army part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a great opportunity to work with kids. The work was meaningful, and it was rewarding and enjoyable to see the kids gain tangible skills and perform in their recital. Staff were very supportive and appreciative.

Cons

The biggest challenge is what most non-profits probably experience. Communication was often last minute and limited, there wasn't any preparation or resources for classroom setup or management.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Salvation Army full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Salvation Army gets the most highest respect, from me , I've worked for them for a total of 6 months, and when I witness the planned lay-out this company demonstrated for Homeless population, it touch my heart, and I was working with some tainted heart felt co-workers, still the Salvation Army Plan Assessment was very well organize and strategic for the many families residing at the Salvation Army Shelter.

Cons

My experience didn't come as a surprise to me, due to the field that I'd worked so hard to studied the underservices of many clients with different many axis of mental health conditions. The cons were that I couldn't stay aboard with the Salvation Army Corp.

Continue to keep your protocol alive , encourage the needy, help the helpless, and please consider at anytime if you ever need myself to be apart of your team again , don't hesitate to contact all numbers in HR-dept.

Many Thanks to the Salvation Army of Brooklyn NY

Worked for Salvation Army? Contribute to the Community!