Salve Regina University Reviews

1. Mission Oriented

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Salve Regina University as a contractor

Pros

The University's mission of working toward a world that is harmonious, just and merciful is truly a thread that runs through the entire university community, from staff and faculty to students and alumni.

Cons

Flexibility and work life balance is made possible, especially for faculty-- staff and administration have a more stringent schedule but then that is to be expected.

Advice to Management

The regular messages and meetings with the University community help to promote transparency and reduce anxiety about change. Thank you.

2. Not bad, Small School

I worked at Salve Regina University full-time

Pros

Beautiful Campus Friendly people Continuing Education Benefits

Cons

Limited career growth Lots of bureaucracy, even for a school.

Advice to Management

Let people think independently, let them take on challenges, allow people to be self motivated.

3. Beautiful Campus, Stiffling Work Environment, No Vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport, RI

I have been working at Salve Regina University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The campus is absolutely gorgeous. It is possible to develop deep and supportive connections with co-workers. Tuition benefit but only for undergrad and MA - not PhD. 35 hour work week, a week off at Christmas, good vacation (3 weeks for salaried positions, and 4 weeks at 5 years. The students are wonderful. Good health benefits and 7% employer (additional 1% if employee contributes 1%) contribution to pension.

Cons

The hierarchy is stifling. There are layers and layers of higher-ups which continues to grow even though the student population stays the same. Although most of the staff are highly educated and accomplished and have great problem solving skills, the culture does not allow for contribution to the vision and strategy.. The IT department is behind the times and follows policies which inhibit getting work done. Lack of communication from the top and between departments. Staff promotions and tenure decisions often seem to lack fairness. Salaries are very low which forces 60% of the staff to have an additional part-time jobs to cover the cost of basic living expenses.

Advice to Management

Visit every department, talk to the people doing the work before making decisions. Open the lines of communication between top and bottom and allow people to take on challenges and contribute to the decision making. IT department needs a complete re-haul at the top VP down to Directors and Assist Directors. Address the issue with salaries not meeting the cost of living in Newport and the surrounding areas.

5. Work Study

Current Employee - Work Study in Newport, RI
    Current Employee - Work Study in Newport, RI

I have been working at Salve Regina University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helps with networking and meeting important people and alumni in the salve community

Cons

Can be very boring sometimes, when they have no work for me to do

Advice to Management

always have agendas out for your work studies when they come in.

6. Often Frustrating Environment

I have been working at Salve Regina University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leave time - 2 weeks annually with an additional week in between Christmas and New Years. Able to receive graduate degree through tuition benefit

Cons

The work environment can many times be stifling. It is incredible difficult to stimulate any type of innovation or change to the traditional way things are run. Interdepartmental communication is almost nonexistent which makes it incredibly difficult to get anything done properly. In my department there were many competing personalities within management/supervisors. You had anal micro-managers mixed with managers who were out in their own world and often had to be managed up. This made any assignment completely challenging. It takes a long time to get anything approved or looked at. And despite promises made upon hire (3 years ago) there is absolutely no room for growth or promotion. Salary is also a pittance and I could hardly live off of what I was making at this job.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas and innovation. Create a work environment with managers and supervisors that is consistent and open up lines of communication.

7. Great place to work

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Salve Regina University as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and interested in the students and each other. Great location. The school plans a lot of events that are fun to attend. Coworkers were always ready to assist me when necessary.

Cons

None, really. I guess one thing would be that, as a college, you sometimes have to work non-traditional hours, but you know what you are getting when you sign up for the job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. Great time working here

Current Employee - Admissions Tour Guide in Newport, RI
    Current Employee - Admissions Tour Guide in Newport, RI

I have been working at Salve Regina University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture is great

Cons

It gets cold in the winter

Bad management and low moral

I have been working at Salve Regina University

Pros

Beautiful campus, great students, some good benefits such as free tuition to full-time employees, health care.

Cons

Very low pay, moral at an all time low. Some in upper management don't have the skills necessary for their position. Not the friendly place it once was, very sad to see this happen.

Advice to Management

Highest management, CEO level, needs to be aware that there is great disappointment with a few at the next level down.

Politics are tough. School is really run by the accountants. Lots of employee turnover.

I have been working at Salve Regina University

Pros

Beautiful location in Newport, RI next to the cliff walk. Stunning buildings (I work in a guilded age mansion). Most people are really nice--especially faculty and students.

Cons

My supervisor is a micromanager and is never pleased with my work. Also has a bad attitude, abusive to me and my coworkers. Brought it up to upper management and HR, who refuses to do anything about it. If you've been working here for 10+ years, they'll let you do whatever you want. Politics inside the university is particularly complicated. If you want to work here, be prepared for dealing with loads of red tape to get anything done. Pay is not great--be prepared to get 10-25% less than what you would be paid at another school.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. You take care of yourselves, but you need to remember us (remember the whole retirement debacle...you know, when you suspended payments into our retirements, yet continued the payments for all the VP's?). Don't promote people who don't know what they are doing into supervisory positions. Learn how to be nice.

its ok

I have been working at Salve Regina University

Pros

it is good place to grow

Cons

the senior management is incompetent

Advice to Management

New Management with more of a focus on technology

RSS Feed </> Embed