Sam Ash Music

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.5

Richard Ash

Good place to learn how to work on youre own

Former Employee - Music Instructor  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Music Instructor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time for more than a year

Pros

Develop individual musical teaching skills

Cons

Management not very well organized

Organize priorities

Not for me, maybe for some.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment at times, family owned, co-workers were what kept me there for awhile.

Cons

Management issues, poor marketing strategy, quality of co-workers. Worst part was the draw based commission. There were only 2 people at the store that beat their draw at any given time. Unless you move up to management, it's not a livable wage.

The current sales manager in Dallas as of 2014 is more likely to tell you how bad you are at your job than to show you how to improve upon your job.

Music is the best part, everything else is garbage

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sam Ash Music part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here is the atmosphere. 90% or more of the staff hired are musicians and great in their department as far as knowledge.
    Great for high school students.

Cons

Bad for people who pay bills

The pay is bad. Especially when they harass you to be full time (when you can find a much higher paid job to work full time instead) For those of you interested. Note that they're going to tell you and somehow even convince you that they're "concerned with you making money" and "You have to work for your check. The more you sell the more you make"
    Sounds cool at first. But realize that commission in THIS job means you have to break your base pay every week for a month to get commission
    Part timers would get %158.60 a week, which means, if working 4 days, you'd have to earn over $40 dollars in commission every day. Which translates to %800-1,000 or more every day you're working to get a commission check for that month. and if one week you double it but another week, customers don't show, then the week you doubled goes into the week you were under.

TLDR; You have to pay the company back for paying you before you get your rightful commission check

Focus on making this a family business not some corporate money hog.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with music and musicians. Discount on gear was generous.

Cons

Rough hours, tough customers due to fact that it's retail music.

I sold Acoustic Guitars

Former Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales  in  Hialeah, FL
    Former Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales in Hialeah, FL

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co workers and management support. Absolutely fun work environment with very few bad customers.

Cons

Pay wasn't enough. Some people are able to make an incredible living out of it, but that's mainly in the pro audio department.

Keep supporting your salespeople

Good, fun work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're a musician, what a great place to work. The staff is friendly and helpful. Great being around musical equipment all day. Management is helpful and fun to work with.

Cons

Pay is horrible. Horrible! Nothing available for full-time. You can't make a living, let alone any big sales on part-time work. Their POS system is so outdated and cumbersome its ridiculous. It seems that upper management refuses to change or want to change to come up in to the here and now. It's the "we've always done it this way" attitude.

Consider paying your people better. And, for crying out loud, bring your POS system up to date. It shouldn't take an average of 5 minutes to ring someone out for their purchase of a set of guitar strings.

If it wasn't for the discount....

Current Employee - Operations  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

I do love being around all these instruments and working on them in my downtime, and the discounts on some products (especially our own brands) are crazy good.

Cons

Super lazy and sloppy management, outdated store, and minimum wages. No training whatsoever for new hires.

Maybe stop the homophobic, sarcastic, mysoginistic, condescending attitudes and focus on training employees properly.

Full time, over a year

Current Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales
    Current Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can be very fulfilling if you love sales and gear. You get to make people's day, have set schedules, and everyone I work with is cool for the most part. Great discount, plus you get to see and try out all the new gear. Also, lots of room for advancement, most of the managers and general managers and even some of the highers ups started off as sales associates for the company.

Cons

You have to be aggressive to be a top guy in the store and I am, but many of my coworkers just sit back and hope the sales come to them, then they complain about not making any money...(go figure) Pay isn't great (I made 25 K last year, im not a manager) but its livable.

I'm beating a dead horse here, but GERS? Come on guys, even with the update its still a nightmare.

Great place to cut your chops

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities galore, for the right type. Nothing is candy coated for you, it's like having your own business without the exposure. There is also an excellent family mentality that is easy to get behind.

Cons

The natural downside of working for a smaller, family owned business; things move a little more slowly than you may be used to. The management structure can be cumbersome at times.

RUN AWAY! Take it from a General manager for 5 years.

I worked at Sam Ash Music

Pros

I have nothing good to say about my experience. If you want the owners and regional managers to acknowledge your hard work, or admit their own mistakes, forget it!

Cons

Don't fall for the "We are all family" crap. These guys will smile to your face then stab you in the back. I became the fall guy for my regional manager on a regular basis. I was told to fire great employees just to "shake up the staff" to perform better. I was required to sell their house brand even when if was defective. If you have morals, integrity, and are honest with your customers and loyal to the corporation you work for, you are doomed to be screwed by this company. I have been successful at every position I have ever held, managing stores for up to ten years. Nothing you do will ever be good enough for the Ash family.

Say what you mean and mean what you say! If you get bad information, check out the story before you fire someone. Look at your regional managers. You will find the problem there. Many of your employees and managers have been set up! Get a retail computer system from the 21st century. Yours sucks.

Worked for Sam Ash Music? Contribute to the Community!