Sam Ash Music Reviews

2.5

Richard Ash

Good company

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with music and musicians. Discount on gear was generous.

Cons

Rough hours, tough customers due to fact that it's retail music.

I sold Acoustic Guitars

Former Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales  in  Hialeah, FL
    Former Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales in Hialeah, FL

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co workers and management support. Absolutely fun work environment with very few bad customers.

Cons

Pay wasn't enough. Some people are able to make an incredible living out of it, but that's mainly in the pro audio department.

Keep supporting your salespeople

Music is the best part, everything else is garbage

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sam Ash Music part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here is the atmosphere. 90% or more of the staff hired are musicians and great in their department as far as knowledge.
    Great for high school students.

Cons

Bad for people who pay bills

The pay is bad. Especially when they harass you to be full time (when you can find a much higher paid job to work full time instead) For those of you interested. Note that they're going to tell you and somehow even convince you that they're "concerned with you making money" and "You have to work for your check. The more you sell the more you make"
    Sounds cool at first. But realize that commission in THIS job means you have to break your base pay every week for a month to get commission
    Part timers would get %158.60 a week, which means, if working 4 days, you'd have to earn over $40 dollars in commission every day. Which translates to %800-1,000 or more every day you're working to get a commission check for that month. and if one week you double it but another week, customers don't show, then the week you doubled goes into the week you were under.

TLDR; You have to pay the company back for paying you before you get your rightful commission check

Focus on making this a family business not some corporate money hog.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, fun work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're a musician, what a great place to work. The staff is friendly and helpful. Great being around musical equipment all day. Management is helpful and fun to work with.

Cons

Pay is horrible. Horrible! Nothing available for full-time. You can't make a living, let alone any big sales on part-time work. Their POS system is so outdated and cumbersome its ridiculous. It seems that upper management refuses to change or want to change to come up in to the here and now. It's the "we've always done it this way" attitude.

Consider paying your people better. And, for crying out loud, bring your POS system up to date. It shouldn't take an average of 5 minutes to ring someone out for their purchase of a set of guitar strings.

If it wasn't for the discount....

Current Employee - Operations  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

I do love being around all these instruments and working on them in my downtime, and the discounts on some products (especially our own brands) are crazy good.

Cons

Super lazy and sloppy management, outdated store, and minimum wages. No training whatsoever for new hires.

Maybe stop the homophobic, sarcastic, mysoginistic, condescending attitudes and focus on training employees properly.

Full time, over a year

Current Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales
    Current Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can be very fulfilling if you love sales and gear. You get to make people's day, have set schedules, and everyone I work with is cool for the most part. Great discount, plus you get to see and try out all the new gear. Also, lots of room for advancement, most of the managers and general managers and even some of the highers ups started off as sales associates for the company.

Cons

You have to be aggressive to be a top guy in the store and I am, but many of my coworkers just sit back and hope the sales come to them, then they complain about not making any money...(go figure) Pay isn't great (I made 25 K last year, im not a manager) but its livable.

I'm beating a dead horse here, but GERS? Come on guys, even with the update its still a nightmare.

Great place to cut your chops

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities galore, for the right type. Nothing is candy coated for you, it's like having your own business without the exposure. There is also an excellent family mentality that is easy to get behind.

Cons

The natural downside of working for a smaller, family owned business; things move a little more slowly than you may be used to. The management structure can be cumbersome at times.

RUN AWAY! Take it from a General manager for 5 years.

I worked at Sam Ash Music

Pros

I have nothing good to say about my experience. If you want the owners and regional managers to acknowledge your hard work, or admit their own mistakes, forget it!

Cons

Don't fall for the "We are all family" crap. These guys will smile to your face then stab you in the back. I became the fall guy for my regional manager on a regular basis. I was told to fire great employees just to "shake up the staff" to perform better. I was required to sell their house brand even when if was defective. If you have morals, integrity, and are honest with your customers and loyal to the corporation you work for, you are doomed to be screwed by this company. I have been successful at every position I have ever held, managing stores for up to ten years. Nothing you do will ever be good enough for the Ash family.

Say what you mean and mean what you say! If you get bad information, check out the story before you fire someone. Look at your regional managers. You will find the problem there. Many of your employees and managers have been set up! Get a retail computer system from the 21st century. Yours sucks.

Don't work for Scam Ash Music if you like making money!

Current Employee - Sam Ash Pro Audio Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sam Ash Pro Audio Sales Associate

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gear, and employee accommodations direct from dealers

Cons

Horrible upper management, you are just a number, terrible commission pay, terrible employee in store purchase deals (you pay 6% above cost which cost is actually bumped up 10-15% due to their standard add on, I've seen customers get better deals than employees), outdated and flawed computer system, no room for moving up in company.

I have worked for both Guitar Center and Sam Ash Music and I have gripes about both but Sam Ash commission is horrible. You get about 4% total of your sales at Sam Ash and at Guitar Center you get 2% of total sales and 10% of profit. I made way more at GC then I ever did at Sam Ash. Also you have to keep track of every item you sell because sometimes if there is a sale you will lose money on an item and if you don't turn the ticket in to management you lose that money on your commission check. Pretty sure I got screwed a lot when I first started working there because there is no real training and no one told me this. And if they send out coupons to customers it hits your commission first. I had a customer buy a $2,700 digital keyboard that was going to pay me $97 but they used a $250 coupon and my commission went down to $48. I really didn't understand how that cuts your commission in half but they are only required to give you 2% of the sale so I just had to deal with it. They mess with the numbers so you never really know what you are getting paid until you get your crappy commission check. Pretty snakey, that's why I call it Scam Ash Music. I see this company going the way of Circuit City and closing soon so I would not recommend working here to anyone!

Take care of your sales associates with better commission and some real structure and maybe you might retain a few of the good ones. Also do some ADVERTISING you might get a few more customers.

Sammy and the Ash Family are awesome, some of the regionals need major help

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The family, the gear, the people

Cons

Big companies want things done there way right or wrong

You have some great people, you have a few regional and general managers that are unethical. You should know where there is smoke there is fire. How many HR violations and good people will you lose because of these bad apples.

Worked for Sam Ash Music? Contribute to the Community!