Sam Ash Music

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.7

Richard Ash

Music Instructor and really enjoying it.

I have been working at Sam Ash Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great environment, set my own availability schedule
    - I teach my own proven advanced methodology and am not told to use and specific method like I think Guitar Center preaches. (Sadly for the student).
    - Meeting really great and enthusiastic students of all ages
    - Make much more that the sales staff on an hourly basis (Would be a great full time job if they had the student population to make it so!)
    -Studio area and manager very professional . The best
    - They do your scheduling, payroll, and just about everything else aside from feeding you. I dedicate 100% of my attention to the student, making the experience of music truly rewarding for them.
    - Great having the latest books and additional support material and accessories right there at arms reach..
    - Very supportive management. Even though there are sales staff that have been there for a very long time, I have the best job in the store. If I have something else going on where I have to make a schedule change, I just call the studio manager and it is done without question.
    - To be honest, I am not exactly sure how much I get paid although for the hours I have put in, it is bad. But . . how much I am enjoying it, It isn't to shabby The money shows up in my account, I am good. I don't have any responsibility regarding the business transaction or business relationship with the student. I just teach. It does not get any better.
    - The Instructor staff is composed of really great experienced pros and I am happy to be part of it.

Cons

- Okay. . . . Truth be known, The money is pretty bad compared to how much I make outside the store and what I am really worth as an Instructor. However, there is no restriction on me getting my own students, (Can't steal them from Ash, nor would I want to). I get about twice the amount that Sam Ash charges net, on my own. Whatever I make from Ash and whatever time I put in, is because I enjoy it..

- If a student does not show up, you do not get paid.
    At Guitar Center, if a student does not show up, you still get minimum wage that should compensate you for gas and whatever and also show a little respect for your time.
     So working at Sam Ash is all ONE SIDED Benefiting Sam Ash. That is the way it is. I have never encountered this situation though and my student population would not just do a no show out of a mutually respectful relationship that is established at the onset.

- A customer gets a free trial lesson when they buy an instrument. The Instructor does not get compensated whatsoever. BUT, you have a choice when you get hired to give free trials or not. I say sure! The student after spending a brief period with you should enroll. Here is your chance to make more than the sales person gets in commission for making the sale and perhaps gain additional students through that students recommendations. G for it!!

- As a result of my coaching and recommendations, I have "sold" thousands of dollars in instruments and generated additional revenues relating to books and so forth. I get nothing for that, the sales person makes 100% of the commission. I can just as easily not extended myself.

(But you know what?.... The sales guys (and girls) put a lot of time in on a schedule, and make minimum wage if that. with some exceptions for the long timers obviously. I come come and go as I please , hang out, meet people, play some cool guitars, use any instrument or book that I want to use during my lesson, gain much respect as a staff instructor as well as professional musician and have a good time. So I am okay

I do have other sources of income derived from the music biz so my take on the situation is to let the sales guys make the commission. Word of mouth and internal recommendations will build my student population. I do not sell, I teach and making recommendations of quality instruments is part of that process. We all work together, it is one family and it feels as so.

I could not work in sales at Sam Ash or any other music retail chain given the time commitment and pay. Definitely not. If you can teach effectively, , go that route and recruit additional students on your own and play some gigs. All of that work together will pan out for you over time.

- A " that a boy" thank you check, even a gift certificate perhaps would be nice for "making sales". One week alone, I greatly increased the departments sales volume directly. I get Nada. If I were the business owner, I would probably send that person a little something myself out of corporate, just because it is the right thing to do, and it builds loyalty and retention.

Great Place to Learn About The Music Industry

I have been working at Sam Ash Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly Staff, Talking about Audio all day long. Great discounts on the products after 3 months.

Cons

Pay is not enough to make a living due to lack of traffic in a lot of stores. Commission system is basically %100 commission even though you are technically getting an hourly pay you still have to make the amount of commission of your hourly before you even see anything extra

Switching commission system from monthly to weekly could reward your employees if they have a good week and that would encourage them to be more aggressive and feel like they get back of their hard work. Sometimes 3 weeks of good work might ruin of 1 bad week and that definitely doesn't really make your employers happy.

I look forward to going to work

Current Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sam Ash Guitar Sales in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Sam Ash Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with great people, a super understanding boss who helps me grow as a salesman, learning more and more about gear every day. The pay isn't great but this is the first job I've had that I looked forward to going to (I've been working since i was 17, I'm 30 now with a college degree i have no intention of using). This is the first time I've been at a job where I've actually wanted to stay, after filling my résumé with office jobs and other random opportunities. I was promoted after 3 months, I'm aiming to keep moving up.

Cons

THE LOUSY PAY. I'm scraping by. If i didn't love it so much, i would've left long ago. Maybe one day it'll wear me down enough that I'll leave. Seriously, i would hate to be at a job i love and feel like I'm not earning anything at all, like I'm grossly wasting my time :/ i dont want to go back to a more conventional, soul-sucking job!

Put yourself in our shoes. If you wanna keep your salespeople, if you're really the friendly family business you say that you are, treat us like we deserve to EAT after paying the bills! I'm worth more than what y'all pay me. It would be a shame to have to leave the first job I've ever loved and wanted to make a career out of because I'M STARVING.

Great people, Good Environment, Tragic Pay

Current Employee - Department Sales Manager in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Department Sales Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Sam Ash Music full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The job allows one to be around music, and those who share the same passion. The opportunity to have a good laugh or two throughout the day makes things a lot easier. Associates are always willing to help each other in any way possible and look out for your sales when you're not in the building.

Cons

The pay. It is a base vs commission job, which basically ensures you have to pay to work there and anything left over, you can keep. The commission rates are pretty insulting and there is an over-whelming assumption from upper-management (regional management and upwards) that all associates are morons. The pay, even for one who does 'well' in the job is just unacceptable. This also leads to the obscene turn-over rate in the company. Associates who do stick around end up feeling resentful, frustrated, ignored and severely under-appreciated. Antiquated computer systems and business practices cause the associates to be less efficient at their jobs because they are bogged down by verbose paper-work and ludicrous hoops to jump through.

Fewer employees who are properly compensated will earn Sam Ash more money in the long-run. It will be a staff of intelligent musicians, aggressive and competent sales people, who are truly invested in the position. Better sales staff=better sales, less returns, higher priced goods being sold. Pay the right people correctly and get rid of the bottom-feeders. Profit sharing, even on a small percentage would be a good idea. When associates have a vested interested that can be seen in the pocket, they may care more about the overall health of the company.

An offer of appreciation, such as a bi-yearly override given to employees who stay with the company, perhaps a bonus check would show that those that stay in the business are valued.

In three years, I have witness 32 people come and go, either by choice or termination, in one store. How can a sales team really be efficient if they are constantly training new hires, and being either under or over-staffed. Under staffed is too chaotic and over-staffed turns the sales floor into the Sahara and customers are attacked for scraps.

Less people, better pay and you will have employees that will never leave . I know I would be one of them.

HORRIBLE. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

While the job itself was pretty bad, it was nice to get the chance to meet other musicians and try out the latest and greatest gear. Plus the employee discount wasn't too shabby.

Cons

Oh where to start, where to start....let's see....let's start with the pay. UGH. The pay is terrible. You're literally getting paid the same base salary as a burger flipper. Minimum wage. And if you're a part timer, good luck seeing a dime of your commission. Even if you miss breaking base salary by a few pennies, you won't get your commission. And a majority of the full time employees are just a bunch of sales-stealing floor sharks. I can't tell you HOW many times I've been with customers and have had some full timer intervene because they thought they were all that for getting the full time promotion and walking away with my sale. Also, you're given little to no training whatsoever on basic operations. When it came for me to do my first buy in, I was NEVER trained or guided on how to do it and the upper management condescended me for not knowing how to do it. And don't even get me STARTED on GERs. Sam Ash's management info systems are still stuck in the 1980s.

Properly train your employees on basic operations!! Seriously, you'll be making your jobs much easier on yourselves if you don't have to be called over by an associate every 5 seconds. Also a little something to the people in corporate: Get your management information systems out of the 1980s. Aka ditch the GERs and implement SAP or some kind of ERP. It also shouldn't take 5 minutes to ring out a pack of guitar strings.

Ok company but behind the times

Former Employee - Department Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Department Sales Manager

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good co-workers
    - Get to work around instruments and musicians
    - Great place to make connections to others in the music world
    - Good way to familiarize yourself with the current gear

Cons

- Sales training was ok, but training on the sales screens on the computer took took long
    - Hard to make enough sales to get a substantial commission check
    - Sales goals were set by regional managers who did not know the ins-and-outs of a particular store. Sometimes the goals were unrealistic

Update your Point of Service equipment! It took me about 6 months to be comfortable with the more complicated procedures, and customers often were frustrated by the time it took to ring up a simple sale. It should be possible to make a sale with less than 50 key strokes

Good place to learn how to work on youre own

Former Employee - Music Instructor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Music Instructor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Develop individual musical teaching skills

Cons

Management not very well organized

Organize priorities

Not for me, maybe for some.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sam Ash Music full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment at times, family owned, co-workers were what kept me there for awhile.

Cons

Management issues, poor marketing strategy, quality of co-workers. Worst part was the draw based commission. There were only 2 people at the store that beat their draw at any given time. Unless you move up to management, it's not a livable wage.

The current sales manager in Dallas as of 2014 is more likely to tell you how bad you are at your job than to show you how to improve upon your job.

Good company

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with music and musicians. Discount on gear was generous.

Cons

Rough hours, tough customers due to fact that it's retail music.

Good, fun work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Sam Ash Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're a musician, what a great place to work. The staff is friendly and helpful. Great being around musical equipment all day. Management is helpful and fun to work with.

Cons

Pay is horrible. Horrible! Nothing available for full-time. You can't make a living, let alone any big sales on part-time work. Their POS system is so outdated and cumbersome its ridiculous. It seems that upper management refuses to change or want to change to come up in to the here and now. It's the "we've always done it this way" attitude.

Consider paying your people better. And, for crying out loud, bring your POS system up to date. It shouldn't take an average of 5 minutes to ring someone out for their purchase of a set of guitar strings.