Sam Ash Music

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard Ash

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork with music and musicians. Discount on gear was generous.

ConsRough hours, tough customers due to fact that it's retail music.

I sold Acoustic Guitars

Sam Ash Guitar Sales (Former Employee) Hialeah, FL

ProsGreat co workers and management support. Absolutely fun work environment with very few bad customers.

ConsPay wasn't enough. Some people are able to make an incredible living out of it, but that's mainly in the pro audio department.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep supporting your salespeople

Music is the best part, everything else is garbage

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsThe best reason to work here is the atmosphere. 90% or more of the staff hired are musicians and great in their department as far as knowledge.
    Great for high school students.

ConsBad for people who pay bills

The pay is bad. Especially when they harass you to be full time (when you can find a much higher paid job to work full time instead) For those of you interested. Note that they're going to tell you and somehow even convince you that they're "concerned with you making money" and "You have to work for your check. The more you sell the more you make"
    Sounds cool at first. But realize that commission in THIS job means you have to break your base pay every week for a month to get commission
    Part timers would get %158.60 a week, which means, if working 4 days, you'd have to earn over $40 dollars in commission every day. Which translates to %800-1,000 or more every day you're working to get a commission check for that month. and if one week you double it but another week, customers don't show, then the week you doubled goes into the week you were under.

TLDR; You have to pay the company back for paying you before you get your rightful commission check

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making this a family business not some corporate money hog.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If it wasn't for the discount....

Operations (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI do love being around all these instruments and working on them in my downtime, and the discounts on some products (especially our own brands) are crazy good.

ConsSuper lazy and sloppy management, outdated store, and minimum wages. No training whatsoever for new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe stop the homophobic, sarcastic, mysoginistic, condescending attitudes and focus on training employees properly.

Full time, over a year

Sam Ash Guitar Sales (Current Employee)

ProsCan be very fulfilling if you love sales and gear. You get to make people's day, have set schedules, and everyone I work with is cool for the most part. Great discount, plus you get to see and try out all the new gear. Also, lots of room for advancement, most of the managers and general managers and even some of the highers ups started off as sales associates for the company.

ConsYou have to be aggressive to be a top guy in the store and I am, but many of my coworkers just sit back and hope the sales come to them, then they complain about not making any money...(go figure) Pay isn't great (I made 25 K last year, im not a manager) but its livable.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm beating a dead horse here, but GERS? Come on guys, even with the update its still a nightmare.

Great place to cut your chops

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsOpportunities galore, for the right type. Nothing is candy coated for you, it's like having your own business without the exposure. There is also an excellent family mentality that is easy to get behind.

ConsThe natural downside of working for a smaller, family owned business; things move a little more slowly than you may be used to. The management structure can be cumbersome at times.

RUN AWAY! Take it from a General manager for 5 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have nothing good to say about my experience. If you want the owners and regional managers to acknowledge your hard work, or admit their own mistakes, forget it!

ConsDon't fall for the "We are all family" crap. These guys will smile to your face then stab you in the back. I became the fall guy for my regional manager on a regular basis. I was told to fire great employees just to "shake up the staff" to perform better. I was required to sell their house brand even when if was defective. If you have morals, integrity, and are honest with your customers and loyal to the corporation you work for, you are doomed to be screwed by this company. I have been successful at every position I have ever held, managing stores for up to ten years. Nothing you do will ever be good enough for the Ash family.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay what you mean and mean what you say! If you get bad information, check out the story before you fire someone. Look at your regional managers. You will find the problem there. Many of your employees and managers have been set up! Get a retail computer system from the 21st century. Yours sucks.

Don't work for Scam Ash Music if you like making money!

Sam Ash Pro Audio Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGear, and employee accommodations direct from dealers

ConsHorrible upper management, you are just a number, terrible commission pay, terrible employee in store purchase deals (you pay 6% above cost which cost is actually bumped up 10-15% due to their standard add on, I've seen customers get better deals than employees), outdated and flawed computer system, no room for moving up in company.

I have worked for both Guitar Center and Sam Ash Music and I have gripes about both but Sam Ash commission is horrible. You get about 4% total of your sales at Sam Ash and at Guitar Center you get 2% of total sales and 10% of profit. I made way more at GC then I ever did at Sam Ash. Also you have to keep track of every item you sell because sometimes if there is a sale you will lose money on an item and if you don't turn the ticket in to management you lose that money on your commission check. Pretty sure I got screwed a lot when I first started working there because there is no real training and no one told me this. And if they send out coupons to customers it hits your commission first. I had a customer buy a $2,700 digital keyboard that was going to pay me $97 but they used a $250 coupon and my commission went down to $48. I really didn't understand how that cuts your commission in half but they are only required to give you 2% of the sale so I just had to deal with it. They mess with the numbers so you never really know what you are getting paid until you get your crappy commission check. Pretty snakey, that's why I call it Scam Ash Music. I see this company going the way of Circuit City and closing soon so I would not recommend working here to anyone!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your sales associates with better commission and some real structure and maybe you might retain a few of the good ones. Also do some ADVERTISING you might get a few more customers.

Sammy and the Ash Family are awesome, some of the regionals need major help

Management (Former Employee)

ProsThe family, the gear, the people

ConsBig companies want things done there way right or wrong

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some great people, you have a few regional and general managers that are unethical. You should know where there is smoke there is fire. How many HR violations and good people will you lose because of these bad apples.

Loved working for a family owned company

Sales Manager (Former Employee) West Hollywood, CA

ProsCommission structure, benefits package, they care about their employees

ConsDon't really have to much negative to say

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have anything to say either

Worked for Sam Ash Music? Contribute to the Community!