Sam Carbis Solutions Group

Shawn Cramer Mizell

The Real Truth

Former Employee - IT Manager in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Florence, SC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

• Great place to work • Ability to learn new skills • Pay is on par or above for the area • Ability to build relationships you will carry throughout your career I will start by saying yes there was a layoff. Yes I was one of the ones let go. Do I blame management? No. The owners had a tough choice to make and made the choice which was for the good of the company. I started work at SCSG/AL almost 8 years ago with the full intention this would be the last company i worked for. Sadly that did not take place but what some people don't seem to realize is this was a business decision. It wasn't anything personal. Yes it stinks to have to look for work but the skills I gained while working here are making it possible for me to be picky about which position I take and where and for what pay rate. Yes I was not expecting to be laid off but I understand it happens. People should focus on bettering their situation and focus that negative energy toward that end. No this isn't any self serving review. I no longer work there and it saddens me but it has also opened doors.

Cons

• Negative employees who feel slighted • Plans not always clear to all levels of employees

Advice to Management

Please do not let the negative reviews get you guys down. I saw the pain in Sam's eyes when he had to tell me I was being let go. I know it was an effort to save money and not because of performance. I have gained many skills working for this company and while some may see this as a forced or self serving review please take it for what its worth. My career outlook has improved greatly during my time with SCSG / AL and for that you have given me more than a paycheck. Miss all of you and wish you nothing but the best in the future guys.

Aug 4, 2015 – Inside Sales

It was with a heavy heart that we saw you go, and you are correct, the decisions that were made in the layoff were very painful ones, both professionally and personally. Many of the people who were ... More

A growing and competitive company!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Florence, SC

I have been working at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay with plenty of overtime. Plenty of chances for advancement if you're willing to work for it. The new upper management is a great group to work for. Positive changes and a feeling of being part of a team and not just a number. I started out as a temporary employee and have worked my way up to a Production Supervisor. I have had three raises in two years and have had multiple job opportunities within the company.

Cons

They had a bad reputation by people who no longer worked there for a reason. Every company has its flaws. SCSG has made a great deal of positive changes in the past few years. The cons are no different than you would have anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Make sure you listen to the employees and earn the respect not just demand it. A good worker can become a great worker with the right motivation. No one person can do it alone.

Jul 13, 2015 – Inside Sales

We appreciate your feedback. So often it is easy to imagine how green the grass is next door without seeing that the fertilizer in both yards smells the same :) You are absolutely correct, a fresh ... More

This company is Going Down Fast!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

Pros

Most of the shop workers are good honest people

Cons

Senior Management rarely takes responsibility for problems and instead blames everyone else. Senior Management expresses little emotion, especially during conflict with you. When you do express emotion, they blame you for doing so. This is a subtle form of abuse.. Senior Management drains you, but thrives on your energy. I Think about how much energy that was spent on this relationship and realize that it was all my efforts keeping the relationship alive. Senior Management does not put much effort into building or keeping positive relationships with employees. This leaves you emotionally and physically exhausted because of all the planning, apologizing, and all of the work to "fix" what is wrong. Senior Management is charming and thinks very highly of themselves. It's like Jekyll & Hyde - Senior Management is so endearing, but when you say one thing wrong, they snap at you! You walk on eggshells wanting to do everything right. This is nerve wracking! Their is no reasoning with Senior Management. You will lose every single argument and end most conflicts thinking everything was your fault. You will end up apologizing. You will end up in counseling and you'll be the one to end up losing your self esteem.

Advice to Management

There is no advice that they will listen to

Aug 4, 2015 – Inside Sales

I was greatly saddened by your review. As a member of the senior management team, I believe that many of the views you are expressing are a result of a few interactions with one or two people rather ... More

Completely unprofessional business

Current Employee - Detailer in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Detailer in Florence, SC

Pros

It's a job as long as it last. easy to advance if you are good at kissing up to owners.

Cons

Poorly managed business with very little professionalism. No loyalty to employees at all. Terminations are done at will with little warning and seemingly childish cause. Employment is friendship based and not on performance or professional behavior. No one last very long here and we all come to work daily wondering if today is your day to have your life ripped out from under you. Save your family the disaster and find somewhere else to work because this is a set up that will leave u debarred eventually.

Advice to Management

Turn the company over to professionally educated individuals that can save this company for the next generation. Quit destroying the lives of those that dedicate themselves to supporting you and your family

Aug 4, 2015 – Inside Sales

This review confuses me...you state that no one lasts very long here but you are in a department where the AVERAGE employee has been here 8.7 years and one third of the employees are in double digit ... More

Worst Employer Ever

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Florence, SC

I have been working at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay is above average for the area. Some good fellow employees. This once was an industry leader but has fallen on hard times and lost major market share

Cons

Zero respect for their employees. This company has the worst management team I have ever experienced. they have no commitment to their dedicated employees and recently fired 60+ long term employees under the "financial restructuring" and then turned around and began advertising for new employees. the owners of this business are arrogant self serving individuals that are so paranoid they spend vast amounts of time monitoring employees conversation, social network accounts and emails. They demonstrate complete contempt for their employees ideas and input even though they beg for it. This company is so poorly fun the two additional competing companies now exist founded by former employees which have captured larger market share in this sector. This is a company stuck in the past with little innovation and inability to see the future. They pay well but do not expect it to last. Good pay is worthless if you have no expectation that it will last. they are notorious for firing people with no warning at the drop of a dime. Everyone here comes to work everyday wondering if today will be their last. It is impossible to make any personal commitments based on this employment when you don't expect it to last another day.

Advice to Management

Do what the numerous consultants you've paid to advise you on how to fix your problems, get out and let professionals come in and save your company from yourselves. If not your next generation of family ownership will not have a job either.

Eithically Bankrupt

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Florence, SC

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The commission structure was great until they took it away and forced salaries.

Cons

Morally, ethically, and spiritually bankrupt management/ownership.

Advice to Management

sell your stake and let someone else turn it into a good business.

Fantasy World / Real World

I worked at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I first started working at SCSG it was a great place to world. BUT,once the chain of command changed the whole atmosphere went down hill.

Cons

There are people in management that cause the most drama and gossip but the lower level of employees are blamed for it. There are people at SCSG who are so two face you feel like you are back in high school. For management to refer to their employees as minions made me feel like we were replaceable at anytime. People have worked there for years and only had one raise maybe two if you are lucky. But than you have people that work there making good money and they don't do anything but pass their work onto other people. The department that handle the majority of the work beside production get treated like crap.

Advice to Management

Start listen to the low level employees not management. Some of your management do have a clue what's going in their department. You need to clarify your directions clearly to all your employees not just who you want to know. You once said we need to take all the invisible walls down but that hasn't happened yet. You need to have more one on one conversation with each employee not just taking managements word. Clarification of what managers run what department and tell the other managers to stay out and manage their department. STOP putting their two cents in when it is not needed. Trust your employees.

shady and confusing place of business

Pros

Some good people there. Pay is good if you got your scratching the right backs.

Cons

everything is a big secret. If your not in the in-crowd you won't go far. job skills don't mean squat as far as getting raises. Upper management degrades workers and treats you as if your not worth being informed. And if you are informed it is just a mask to cover up what is really going on in the company. Lots of partiality shown and alliances formed.

Advice to Management

Run the place like a real business and not a high school soap opera

love my career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

I have been working at Sam Carbis Solutions Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm driven by accomplishment and my job satisfies my needs. I enjoy working with clients to understand their issues and how they're impacted by them so we can develop a solution to satisfy their needs.

Cons

There are times when I am overwhelmed but that feeling motivates me to work smarter and harder. I learn from my mistakes and that experience is helpful.

Advice to Management

Your "innovative/cutting edge" mentality creates an exciting work environment at SCSG. Continue developing your people and integrate some outsiders to bring in fresh ideas.

Jun 9, 2015 – Inside Sales

WOW! Thank you for your overwhelmingly positive review. We work on a daily basis to make SCSG a better, more responsive workplace for our customers and our team. I am glad you have found such ... More

Real effort made to make this a great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Florence, SC

I have been working at Sam Carbis Solutions Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family environment Innovative company Active employee activity group Open door management style Respected worldwide in the industry

Cons

Some negative attitudes from employees and managers Rumor mill is in overdrive Uniforms Micromanagement at times

Advice to Management

Be more involved in day to day operations. Ask those of us who actually do the work what would make our jobs easier instead of assuming you know.

Jun 8, 2015 – Inside Sales

Thank you for your input. We strive every day to help make the work environment better for our employees while furthering our customers interests as well. The rumor mill, unfortunately, is ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed