Sam Houston State

Updated November 24, 2014
4.1

Sam Houston State President Dana L. Gibson
Dana L. Gibson

Great place to start a career in higher education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Sam Houston State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Certain positions within the university allow individuals to work closely with the student body which is why I entered a career in higher education. The work/life balance is good and often times supervisors will allow employees to take coursework during the lunch hour if they are completing a bachelors degree or seeking a graduate level degree. On the whole, the staff is friendly. The university has implemented a new professional development series for faculty/staff which is a great opportunity to learn from internal and external professionals.

Cons

As with most employment in education, the pay is low. Several nearby universities pay at a much higher rate. Unfortunately, the ability for advancement is low as well. With the area community and campus culture, many employees stay for the remainder of their career, resulting in low turnover and the inability for entry-level and mid-management to move up.

My experience at SHSU has been wonderful.

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Huntsville, TX
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Sam Houston State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very understanding and friendly. Everyone is always willing to help out and they want you to do well and succeed.

Cons

I am a student assistant and I don't really have any cons about working here. The only thing is that I work about 20 hours a week which is hard to balance school and work.

Nice environment, Just wish the pay was better

Current Employee - Admissions Analyst in Huntsville, TX
    Current Employee - Admissions Analyst in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Sam Houston State full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are first of all the job security. There are many employees in undergraduate admissions that have been here for 5 plus years and this is their second family. We get good health insurance that is comparable to Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Staff also gets free access to the school gym, concerts and games.

Cons

Pay is low for many staff positions and it's very hard to secure a position within the university. It took a month and a half after I applied for the position to be hired.

Good place to work

I have been working at Sam Houston State

Pros

Good work-life balance. Very nice benefits and accommodating to unique situations and needs.

Cons

Not a lot of direction but a lot of opportunity to create you own ideas and work. Communication and leadership structure is lacking some.

Improve manager-employee communications

Great place to get an education

Former Employee - Social Science Research Assistants
    Former Employee - Social Science Research Assistants

I worked at Sam Houston State part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays grad students very well.

Cons

if you are not one of the favorites you get overlooked

No real advice. Decent program and decent school.

Great place for student workers!

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Sam Houston State part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, offices are great with working around class schedules. Have opportunity to get to know upper level university directors & such. I've always enjoyed the atmosphere of the office and the "family" culture that we have here at Sam. I've been a student worker for 4 years and have enjoyed every moment of it.

Cons

Only being able to work a maximum of 20 hours a week and making minimum wage at nearly every on campus job. Depending on the position and the office, students deserve more pay for the things that they do. Unfortunately, thanks to government rules, we aren't allowed to work more hours and they won't give us more pay.

Most every manager i've come in contact with has been great. I guess just realize that the students working for you aren't just students. They deserve to be treated as adults and given responsibilities. Managers should focus on development of student leaders. That way, they don't have to look outside of their offices to promote.

Not bad for a student job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Sam Houston State part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My office provided a lot of job security; I was able to work there until I graduated. All the staff in my office were very nice and caring, and treated me like an equal for the most part. Many opportunities for cross-training and the ability to take on new assignments. I received a six-month raise and ended up making $9.00/hr. There were many networking opportunities that happened simply from being on the job.

Cons

There were many times when I didn't have anything to work on, despite spending hours doing training for special projects that didn't happen. Other employees were able to get new furniture at the drop of a hat, but I developed posture issues from having to hunch over a desk in an old chair. My office hired me to work opposite hours of an adult staffer, who made almost twice as much per hour to do the same job that I did. Keeping a professional dress code as a student was inconvenient, especially when it was 106 degrees outside. My supervisor would commonly forget that I had requested days off (months in advance), and sometimes I had to barter with other student workers to get them off.

While my experience wasn't bad by any means, the university needs to understand that student employees are the backbone of the university. We are the ones that carry your boxes, run your errands, and cover for you when you don't want to talk to a disgruntled customer. If a staff member can get a desk that costs more than my annual salary, why I can't I at least have a comfortable workstation?

Wonderful learning experience working for a major university.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Sam Houston State part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work hours were somewhat flexible. Great teamwork! Great experience of learning how a department/university runs, and working with students and all levels of administration.

Cons

I was not aware when I took the job that I would not have the same time off as students for holidays (i.e. Spring Break I worked). Not having holidays off made it challenging to have down time from school. Was a graduate student when I had this job.

Holidays off with the students would be appreciated.

Loved It

I have been working at Sam Houston State

Pros

Small student faculty ratio

Cons

Not enough parking on campus

Hands on self starters only

I worked at Sam Houston State full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll learn more than you ever imagined, the groups are tight knit and require close relationships

Cons

Recent changes created a lackluster training enviornment

Sam Houston State Photos