Sam Houston State Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
3.7

Sam Houston State President Dana L. Gibson
Dana L. Gibson

Great place for student workers!

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Sam Houston State part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part, offices are great with working around class schedules. Have opportunity to get to know upper level university directors & such. I've always enjoyed the atmosphere of the office and the "family" culture that we have here at Sam. I've been a student worker for 4 years and have enjoyed every moment of it.

Cons

Only being able to work a maximum of 20 hours a week and making minimum wage at nearly every on campus job. Depending on the position and the office, students deserve more pay for the things that they do. Unfortunately, thanks to government rules, we aren't allowed to work more hours and they won't give us more pay.

Most every manager i've come in contact with has been great. I guess just realize that the students working for you aren't just students. They deserve to be treated as adults and given responsibilities. Managers should focus on development of student leaders. That way, they don't have to look outside of their offices to promote.

Great place to get an education

Former Employee - Social Science Research Assistants
    Former Employee - Social Science Research Assistants

I worked at Sam Houston State part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays grad students very well.

Cons

if you are not one of the favorites you get overlooked

No real advice. Decent program and decent school.

Not bad for a student job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Huntsville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Sam Houston State part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My office provided a lot of job security; I was able to work there until I graduated. All the staff in my office were very nice and caring, and treated me like an equal for the most part. Many opportunities for cross-training and the ability to take on new assignments. I received a six-month raise and ended up making $9.00/hr. There were many networking opportunities that happened simply from being on the job.

Cons

There were many times when I didn't have anything to work on, despite spending hours doing training for special projects that didn't happen. Other employees were able to get new furniture at the drop of a hat, but I developed posture issues from having to hunch over a desk in an old chair. My office hired me to work opposite hours of an adult staffer, who made almost twice as much per hour to do the same job that I did. Keeping a professional dress code as a student was inconvenient, especially when it was 106 degrees outside. My supervisor would commonly forget that I had requested days off (months in advance), and sometimes I had to barter with other student workers to get them off.

While my experience wasn't bad by any means, the university needs to understand that student employees are the backbone of the university. We are the ones that carry your boxes, run your errands, and cover for you when you don't want to talk to a disgruntled customer. If a staff member can get a desk that costs more than my annual salary, why I can't I at least have a comfortable workstation?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful learning experience working for a major university.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Huntsville, TX
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Huntsville, TX

I worked at Sam Houston State part-time for less than a year

Pros

The work hours were somewhat flexible. Great teamwork! Great experience of learning how a department/university runs, and working with students and all levels of administration.

Cons

I was not aware when I took the job that I would not have the same time off as students for holidays (i.e. Spring Break I worked). Not having holidays off made it challenging to have down time from school. Was a graduate student when I had this job.

Holidays off with the students would be appreciated.

Loved It

I have been working at Sam Houston State

Pros

Small student faculty ratio

Cons

Not enough parking on campus

Hands on self starters only

I worked at Sam Houston State full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll learn more than you ever imagined, the groups are tight knit and require close relationships

Cons

Recent changes created a lackluster training enviornment

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Staff-office Position  in  Huntsville, TX
    Current Employee - Staff-office Position in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Sam Houston State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxed environment & great benefits! Start out earning 1 vacation day and 1 sick day every month which vacation increases with more years of service, 100% paid full-time employee insurance health premiums and partially paid dependent health insurance premiums, flexible schedule, 2 weeks paid Christmas holidays, other normal paid holidays, free gym membership with 30 minutes paid to work out! Currently, caring management & co-workers but this depends on which department you are in and can change as in any job.

Cons

Policies and procedures change without notice.

My senior management is great, but some management needs to talk to the people actually doing the work, think about ALL departments involved before changing something and promptly send official notice when changes are made.

Great School to work for

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Huntsville, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at Sam Houston State part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job to have while working on your Master's, a lot of opportunity to travel.

Cons

Not a whole lot, you don't get to meet everyone.

Student Worker

I have been working at Sam Houston State part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, works with schedule.

Cons

Management doesn't always listen to employees;they only see what they want to

I was satisfied with my experience

Former Employee - Student Worker
    Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Sam Houston State

Pros

reasonable pay and very flexible hours... that comes in handy for students working at the college.

Cons

department/rule changes created problems between central staff and student employees but nothing too drastic.

Worked for Sam Houston State? Contribute to the Community!