Sam Houston State

www.shsu.edu

Sam Houston State Reviews

Updated May 30, 2014
Sam Houston State – Huntsville – “shsu”

Sam Houston State President Dana L. Gibson

Dana L. Gibson

Great place for student workers!

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Huntsville, TX

ProsFor the most part, offices are great with working around class schedules. Have opportunity to get to know upper level university directors & such. I've always enjoyed the atmosphere of the office and the "family" culture that we have here at Sam. I've been a student worker for 4 years and have enjoyed every moment of it.

ConsOnly being able to work a maximum of 20 hours a week and making minimum wage at nearly every on campus job. Depending on the position and the office, students deserve more pay for the things that they do. Unfortunately, thanks to government rules, we aren't allowed to work more hours and they won't give us more pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost every manager i've come in contact with has been great. I guess just realize that the students working for you aren't just students. They deserve to be treated as adults and given responsibilities. Managers should focus on development of student leaders. That way, they don't have to look outside of their offices to promote.

Not bad for a student job.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Huntsville, TX

ProsMy office provided a lot of job security; I was able to work there until I graduated. All the staff in my office were very nice and caring, and treated me like an equal for the most part. Many opportunities for cross-training and the ability to take on new assignments. I received a six-month raise and ended up making $9.00/hr. There were many networking opportunities that happened simply from being on the job.

ConsThere were many times when I didn't have anything to work on, despite spending hours doing training for special projects that didn't happen. Other employees were able to get new furniture at the drop of a hat, but I developed posture issues from having to hunch over a desk in an old chair. My office hired me to work opposite hours of an adult staffer, who made almost twice as much per hour to do the same job that I did. Keeping a professional dress code as a student was inconvenient, especially when it was 106 degrees outside. My supervisor would commonly forget that I had requested days off (months in advance), and sometimes I had to barter with other student workers to get them off.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile my experience wasn't bad by any means, the university needs to understand that student employees are the backbone of the university. We are the ones that carry your boxes, run your errands, and cover for you when you don't want to talk to a disgruntled customer. If a staff member can get a desk that costs more than my annual salary, why I can't I at least have a comfortable workstation?

Wonderful learning experience working for a major university.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Huntsville, TX

ProsThe work hours were somewhat flexible. Great teamwork! Great experience of learning how a department/university runs, and working with students and all levels of administration.

ConsI was not aware when I took the job that I would not have the same time off as students for holidays (i.e. Spring Break I worked). Not having holidays off made it challenging to have down time from school. Was a graduate student when I had this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHolidays off with the students would be appreciated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved It

ProsSmall student faculty ratio

ConsNot enough parking on campus

Hands on self starters only

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou'll learn more than you ever imagined, the groups are tight knit and require close relationships

ConsRecent changes created a lackluster training enviornment

Great place to work!

Staff-office Position (Current Employee) Huntsville, TX

ProsRelaxed environment & great benefits! Start out earning 1 vacation day and 1 sick day every month which vacation increases with more years of service, 100% paid full-time employee insurance health premiums and partially paid dependent health insurance premiums, flexible schedule, 2 weeks paid Christmas holidays, other normal paid holidays, free gym membership with 30 minutes paid to work out! Currently, caring management & co-workers but this depends on which department you are in and can change as in any job.

ConsPolicies and procedures change without notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy senior management is great, but some management needs to talk to the people actually doing the work, think about ALL departments involved before changing something and promptly send official notice when changes are made.

Great School to work for

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Huntsville, TX

ProsGreat job to have while working on your Master's, a lot of opportunity to travel.

ConsNot a whole lot, you don't get to meet everyone.

Student Worker

ProsFlexible hours, works with schedule.

ConsManagement doesn't always listen to employees;they only see what they want to

I was satisfied with my experience

Student Worker (Former Employee)

Prosreasonable pay and very flexible hours... that comes in handy for students working at the college.

Consdepartment/rule changes created problems between central staff and student employees but nothing too drastic.

Great place to work

Secretary III (Former Employee) Huntsville, TX

ProsGreat environment.
    Annual raises.
    6 month raises possible.
    Good benefits.
    Training booklets are useful.

ConsPeople seem to move around a lot. Not much stability.
    LOTS of training for Banner. Training sessions are usually people just reading their powerpoint slides to you.

Worked for Sam Houston State? Contribute to the Community!