Sam's Club

Sam's Club Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Sam's Club President and CEO Rosalind G. Brewer

Rosalind G. Brewer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits are possible while improving your customer service skills(in 44 reviews)

• The oppurtunity to learn every aspect of the job and business Decent pay and benefits(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you become salaried forget having work life balance(in 24 reviews)

• Was pushed to the limit to sell credits and plus memberships since the club was doing terrible(in 51 reviews)

Enjoyed the basic beliefs of the compnay just wished all senior leaders executed them the way Mr. Sam initially intended

Club Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to give to the communities you live in. Enjoyed building the relationships with business members. Good opportunities to move within the company.

ConsWork/Life balance horrible in the field. Communication between corporate and the field needs to be worked on. Training plans need to be implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more foucs on executing the 3 basic beliefs. Seems the company is moving away from making them as important as they need to be.

stressful

Team Lead (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

Prosyearly bonus based on stores productivity

Consmanagement believes in delegating and not working and is inconsistent with rules and policies

Advice to Senior Managementdo some work

Demanding but rewarding and great pay/benefits

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsGood pay and benefits with consistent employee

ConsNo work life balance with current culture

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Money hungry company

Cashier (Current Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsWorks well with school hours for students, if you take off within a reasonable time they usually approve it. Many employees so good opportunity to switch shifts

ConsManagement is terrible, they see right through employees, not understanding at all, they only care about sales. Breaks rarely on time, understaffed a lot of days, not very organized, no help when trying to transfer to a different department

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn more about your employees, place them in an area that fits them more. LISTEN to your employees.

Chasing the Carrot

Club Manager (Former Employee) Waterloo, IA

ProsAssistant Manager position attainable within 3 years starting as an hourly with upside potential coming from mobility and loyalty in 10 to 12 years total time.

ConsPendilumn sings wildly to favor work classes failing to meet society perceptions and or corporate quotas ooops I mean goals. You can go from hero to zero in 3.2 seconds and be on the outside, when they want you out your out. Do not see any individuals retiring at the management level for some reason....

Advice to Senior ManagementGrass roots given to clubs on supporting teams above club management by clubs.

Unrealistic expectations

Center Sales Associate (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsHours are pretty constant and high for part-timers and the members can be awesome to work with

ConsManagement does not know how to get their hands dirty, just bark orders over the radio and never come help. High turn over due to managements attitude toward associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher better workers, not the first people that apply and listen to the concerns of your employees

Bleh its just bad

ProsNothing abiut it at all

ConsEverything needs work and better managment

Great Job, but be prepared.

Overnight Merchandiser (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFor the most part, management is respectful. Very fast paced and demanding if you're looking to stay busy. Bonuses depend of profit, shrink, etc for the year. I've been with the company 6 years and only bonused twice. The first time was $1,300, this past year was $700. Friendly co-workers. Team oriented.

ConsBottom line is profit. Cashiers have it the worst. They are forced to ask every member if they want to upgrade or apply for credit, even if the member is a regular. The members get sick and tired of this. To management and corporate, you are only a statistic. It feels like if we want a bonus, they will overwork their current employees and not hire extra help. Years where we've had extra help and smoother days, there was no bonus. Not much of a choice there. Double work is a must to try and please corporate visits.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore Management does their best to treat their employees right. It's the corporate greed that trickles down to management to make it seem like its their fault. Management only does what they are told.

Challenging Career

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNumerous Opportunities to promote especially if you are willing to relocate.

ConsTendency to micro-manage employee's with unrealistic expectations. Turnover is extremely high and not enough focus on training and development.

Advice to Senior ManagementEntrust your managers to run their business.

Terrible management, favoritism, little room to advance past team lead.

Membership Champion (Former Employee)

ProsPay is pretty good at first as a cashier, but after being promoted, it's usually only a 20 cent raise and a ton more responsibility and stress. Meeting great people, job experience

ConsLow pay for higher positions. Terrible, sporadic hours. May close at night, staying until ten to get everything done then be back in at 630. A lot of black out times when time can't be requested off. Attendance policy is only applied to certain employees and not to others. One small mistake leads to a "coaching" that locks you in the same position with no raise for a year. I've seen wonderful associates that would be much better for the company in higher positions, but because a manager that doesn't like them coaches them for a small offense that others do every day, they are stuck. With no chance to move up because of one coaching, they often quit to look for something better. Chances of working your way up to management are minuscule. Many employees that have been there ten plus years in the same position. I was promoted quickly twice in the first year, but it was clear there was no way I could go any further in that store. The same managers had been there for years so there was no room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your supervisors are enforcing a policy with members, don't come up and apologize to the member and then give them a gift card making it look like your associates are in the wrong for enforcing store policy. This leads to way too many people taking advantage. Back up your team! Also, don't act like you are so much better than the associates you work with. Some have been there for ten to twenty years, so if you came in with a degree straight into management, never having worked there, don't try to come in acting like you know how to run the place. Listen to your associates. They are the ones interacting with members every day. By pushing your members several times during their trip to upgrade or sign up for credit, you are making them dread shopping with you because they are bombarded with sales tactics every single time. As member champ, I heard many members say they were going to our competition and canceling their memberships because they are hassled when they come in by the girl at the kiosk, again at the membership desk if they need anything there, again for credit while they are shopping and yet again for upgrades or credit when they are checking out. Focus on great customer service, and maybe make sure the cashiers can explain the benefits very well and know when to leave people alone and just help them get checked out quickly. Don't encourage associates to not take no for an answer, or at the desk when signing them up, we are trained to take objections as a need for more information and to keep pushing. I have had potential members leave because of pushy sales tactics. Explain the benefits then let them decide which is best for their family. Not everyone needs the plus membership! Many members will not get their money's worth when they live a few hours away and shop only a couple times a year. For corporate, make the discounts better for plus members!! Regular members now get great discounts too and the list of discounts for plus are very few items and most of it members say are things they don't really buy. Why would they spend $100 when they can get discounts anyway? The other benefits are pretty much a joke. The only good one is early hours. Optical needs a much better discount. Members can go to Walmart, owned by the same company! And get them cheaper than with the plus discount of $40 off two pairs.

Worked for Sam's Club? Contribute to the Community!