Sam's Club Reviews

Reset
2.7
Sam's Club President and CEO Rosalind G. Brewer
Rosalind G. Brewer

Pros
  • Good pay and great people to work with (in 49 reviews)

• Decent pay for the retail field (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you become salaried forget having work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Also it is very difficult to get a full time position unless you're willing to work overnight (in 57 reviews)

1. 50/50

Former Employee - Cashier in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Sam's Club (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay
    Flexible hours
    diverse with customers and workers

Cons

Mangers are a hit and miss
    No such thing as full time

Advice to Management

Everyone has different goals. Dont be so pushy

2. Great job while in school, not a career.

Current Employee - Houlry Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Houlry Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club

Pros

Flexible with school schedule, store closes at 8-9pm depending on season so its great for high school and college students. Starting pay decent.

Cons

Constantly having to push "upgraded" memberships down customers throat. Minimal training. Inconsistent leadership, if you are not liked you will be on your way out. Pay does not increase much after first year or two.

Advice to Management

Train your people and be consistent. The high turnover rates are a morale buster and hourly associates are frustrated. Invest in your associates from the beginning and they will be more productive and loyal.

3. Good company. Work and you will be rewarded.

Current Employee - Tobacco Associate in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Tobacco Associate in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club

Pros

Pros I'd say are decent pay and good experience. There is a lot of skills you can learn working here.

Cons

Not too many cons. Sometime you have to pick up the slack for others.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

The company does not support you

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers we amazing made life time friendships from people I only knew for months. Members made my day interacting with new people everyday.

Cons

Managers people in a higher position management was my biggest problem they were very unprofessional and never supported you many if not all simply abused there authority

Advice to Management

Remember where you started and the majority and management did not complete college as I did having degrees their only managers because they have worked their for thousands of years.

6. Learned a lot, unfortunately......

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sam's Club (More than 10 years)

Pros

After working almost 20 years with the company the Pros began to fade, and became more excuses stay. With my tenure, the Pros were knowledge and experience in retail/wholesale management and operations and membership environments. Average benefits and company policies.

Cons

Unfortunately, markets can be highly saturated with too many Sam's Clubs, thus we end up competing more between each other rather than with any direct competition. Not every Club can operate the same and not every Club has the same type of demographic clientele and purchasing flexibilities. This unfortunately creates an enormous amount of pressure to meet company goals, in regards to numbers, that some clubs will never be able to meet, no matter what type of leader you put in. The company does not seem to look more carefully at these details. They seem to think that some super hero of a general manager will come in and make the necessary changes (with limitations) that will demonstrate that it can be salvaged; only at the cost of some ones job security. This can end with some clubs getting bonuses with out any real effort and others struggling to even get $100.

Advice to Management

I had the opportunity to work full time and dedicated to my Company and go to school and get 2 masters in business admin, eventually get an hourly leadership position and then a large amount of empty promises. 1 GM said he was going to recommend me and work with me to get into management and a supervisor that I was over ended up getting promoted. Second GM was hardly ever at the Club and was on his own agenda to just move back to wherever his family was living. 3rd GM was very young and came from HO and just wanted to intimidate everyone. He made promises to get me some and prep time for MIT interviews and he never did nor gave me a sincere apology. My direct assistant manager, even though we were showing improvements was getting some scrutiny and criticisms in regards to sense of urgency with his team and just went out looking for an opportunity to coach me based on what he saw, but really, it was because if he did not coach me or one of the other supervisors, he was going to get coached. I asked him to think about it and consider some things and get back with me before he went through with it. 2 weeks later he calls me in to the office and wants to coach me for not getting some paperwork fixed in my area, but really it was because he had got coached on it and so he just follows what every other manager tells him and coaches his underlings. So I find out that he did put the first coaching in and he was putting the 2nd in. I was getting mixed messages, during that 2 week period I was told by this manager that what he was seeing was good and that he appreciates any correction of perception that he may have been having of my work ethic and sense of urgency. Advice to management/leadership: the concept of "If I get coached, then you get coached" is only applicable and ethical if both parties are under the same responsibility and are demonstrating the same desire to correct or address any concerns or opportunities that are being addressed. I was hourly and would stay as needed to get as much done as possible without going overtime; where he was salary and was always looking leave early without finishing anything and just rely on his hourlies to finish his work. The hourlies have there own set of responsibilities and were having a tough enough time finishing or even fulfilling everything. So If a true leader takes the hits and accepts responsibility for his team, then that's what I did until I was terminated. Unfortunately, 2 months after the 2 unethical coachings happened, I had to be coached for excessive pink slips. This was due to reacting like a leader to any type of lines and customer service issue and getting on a register without hesitation; which I was not recognized for. During this 4 months I was approached about moving to another department where my skills and education could be put to better use, but it never happened or was always delayed. I eventually take a fake bill and that ended my dedicated career at Sam's Club. Nobody seemed to fight for me and my tenure that I had accomplished. There are always ways around situations like these and it seems that not all resources were being used. Lack of professionalism and ethical decision making, and honestly a lack of education. As much pride that Walmart and Sam's Club put on their company and it's standards, they should look to trying to demonstrate more dedication to the education and promotion of associates that dedicate time and effort to work and get educated at the same time.

7. Sams club

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job isn't hard. It pays good for no experience needed. Most jobs like this start off at 7.25

Cons

Rude customers. Rude staff.

Advice to Management

Show workers that they are important. Help out sometime ss

8. Messy Management

Current Employee - Cashier in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club

Pros

Above Average Pay
    Flexible Enough Hours
    Schedules Released Well In Advanced

Cons

Hard to advance any to other department in the store, under staffed which results in management calling you on days off to come in and a very long work day because they end up asking you to stay, if you are a student half the time they ignore your availability sheet and class schedule and still schedule you whenever they want, terrible at letting you go on breaks and lunches, and tend to ask you to do tasks that are not in your job description (like you're a cashier and they ask you to go do carts). They will also never allow you to be full time and will severely cut hours such as working 32 hours one week to 15 hours the next week randomly.

Advice to Management

Train your management properly so they can handle simply task such as scheduling enough people to work a full day without gaps and to properly run the front end without your cashiers needing to do the job of 3 other positions in the store.

Sucks

Current Employee - Cafe Associate in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Cafe Associate in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay pay pay decent pay

Cons

Everything sucks here company doesn't care

Advice to Management

Die

10. Sam's Club

Former Employee - Member Service Cashier in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Member Service Cashier in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close knit culture
    Decent pay
    Opportunity to move around
    Fast Paced
    Free food
    Employee discount on fresh foods
    Charitable fundraisers
    Great for college age people

Cons

Retail hours
    Some rude customers
    Never get out on time when closing
    Cashiers have to sell upgraded memberships to people who don't want them
    Have to pay for membership - it should be free
    Insurance isn't available for part time employees until one year of service
    Insurance covers employee only
    Manual labor - constant lifting, stacking, pushing

Advice to Management

It would be great if part time employees would be eligible for benefits sooner than one year and it covered their families, as well. I was offered benefits after one year for only myself. Poor management on various levels. Some upper management had shady practices with employees and inventory - they were later replaced, but we had to endure their actions until they left. Some floor supers act bigger than their job description and take their personal lives out on their team members. We're all human, but please do your best to leave it at home.

11. Great experience.

Current Employee - Cashier in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not bad pay. Laid back environment. Opportunities for growth, and other departments.

Cons

Trying to get every customer for membership renewals and upgrades.

Showing 45 of 1,562 reviews