Sam's Club

Sam's Club Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Sam's Club President and CEO Rosalind G. Brewer

Rosalind G. Brewer

Pros:
  • "Good pay, flexible hours, front end manager is very nice and understandable"
    in 40 reviews
  • "The oppurtunity to learn every aspect of the job and business Decent pay and benefits"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "Was pushed to the limit to sell credits and plus memberships since the club was doing terrible"
    in 47 reviews
  • "Also it is very difficult to get a full time position unless you're willing to work overnight"
    in 36 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Just Like Wal-Mart..

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's not Wal-mart. It's nice to see different products rotated in and out every day. It keeps things fresh. Other than that, there isn't a lot of positive.

ConsHours. Managers are 50+ with no rhyme or reason. It is just because it's retail and it's always been that way. If it's slow, send your managers home so they can have a life. We don't need 4 managers at a time when it's slow. Most of them are playing games on their phones. I know this, because I am a manager and have seen them at various stores. You are just a number here. The recent restructure terminated managers that had been there 15+ years. Communication is poor. Salary is VERY poor. Work is boring. They don't believe in mentoring and coaching employees. Coaching to them means writing an employee up. Promotion will be slow. Most Assistants have been in role over 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow Costco's lead. Take better care of the employees, who in return, will take better care of the members.

Tragic

Overnight Manager (Former Employee)
Wheeling, IL

I worked at Sam's Club full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking overnight no customer contact

ConsWork load, respect level, size of staff for overnights.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out

Sams

Member Service Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for more than 3 years

ProsRoom to grow and advanced to different positions.

ConsManagement will determine your advancement. Many managers do not care about the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to talk with and understand your associates.

Loved working with the members

Cashier (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sam's Club full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLoved working with the members, That made it worth going in each and every day, to get to know them on a first name dasic, to have them looking for you each time they come in

ConsManagment didnt really care about their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the people working for them, they have familys to take care of, and their work daily wondering when the day come when they have to worry about their jobs, because managment tries to find many ways to get rid of certain people, to bring in the people they want

Great !

Cart Attendant (Current Employee)
Altoona, PA

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI like the challenges of working here. Family atmosphere, Managers have high standards for the club.

ConsSometimes there is a heavy workload when you are working by yourself to keep everything up to task.

Cashier/Optician

Optical Associate (Current Employee)
Durham, NC

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for more than a year

ProsI love the atmosphere and all my managers. It's easy to get and pick up hours and there's plenty of opportunities to advance or move to another department.

ConsIf you're a cashier the COS are really hard about selling pluses and upgrades.

Optician in Optical

Optician (Former Employee)
Mount Pleasant, MI

I worked at Sam's Club full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get a free membership to Sam's

ConsNo consequences for when coaches do shady things. No other discounts. No regular hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually approach coaches when problems arise with people who work under them.

Great co-workers

Cafe/Bakery Associate (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat group of co-workers. Will be trained for lots of different things within dept. get to meet all types of indivuals.

ConsWill work you too many hours if you let them. No great benefits or vacation time. Only 30 mins for lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger lunch

DID NOT LIKE THIS JOB

I have been working at Sam's Club

Prosthey give you a Free Sam's Club membership

ConsHorrible pay, overworked and underpaid, they do NOT work around your school schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more cohesive

About right

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Plattsburgh, NY

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

ProsDiscounted stock options, some room for upward mobility.

ConsThere was room for upward mobility, but it wasn't distributed evenly. Some people were perpetually stuck in their present roles despite the fact that management continually indicated they would soon offer them more. Also, they had a slew of part-time workers to cut costs, but as we all know this resulted in higher employee turnover which effected service. I would be willing to bet this was a ploy to achieve year-end bonus goals, but this short-term versus long-term thinking will eventually do more harm than good.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey had many employees, not me personally, but many who would have considered themselves career workers, had they only been given full-time status. For those who were seeking greener pastures, a horizon for improvement. If the latter was lacking, it seems only fair not to string employees along. The number of part-time employees is unfortunately a reality for the current workforce, and whether it is cost effective relative to worker output I can't say. However, it is an office culture which I strongly dislike.

Worked for Sam's Club? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sam's Club reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sam's Club CEO Rosalind G. Brewer. All 806 reviews posted anonymously by Sam's Club employees.