Sam's Club Reviews

1,050 Reviews
1,050 Reviews

Sam's Club President and CEO Rosalind G. Brewer
Rosalind G. Brewer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits are possible while improving your customer service skills (in 45 reviews)

• The oppurtunity to learn every aspect of the job and business Decent pay and benefits (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you become salaried forget having work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• The one thing I got tired of was the constant push for Plus memberships or credit applications (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Gastonia, NC

I worked at Sam's Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

Practically an easy job upfront.

Cons

The push to sell memberships and credit cards.

Play the numbers game less.

fun work place

Current Employee - Member Service Cashier  in  Rapid City, SD
    Current Employee - Member Service Cashier in Rapid City, SD

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sam's club is a fun place to work that offers god pay and annual bonuses. They value all employees and acknowledge your hard work.

Cons

Selling memberships is hard and the managers require that you get at least one a day. Cashiers have to do way more work that is required of them. Includes covering door greeter positions, cart pusher, tire and battery center, and cleaning up the floor at night.

Either pay cashiers more or only work them at the job you pay them for.

Wow....if more than one person says there's something amiss...then they are probably right....

Current Employee - Overnight Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Overnight Merchandiser

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

In my experience after 2 years....there really are no pros....except maybe making a few friends.

Cons

There is so much wrong with this company I don't even know where to begin. I work overnight, full time making $11.30 an hr. I am a single mother making more than min wage @ 40 hours and still have to collect food stamps to feed my family and make ends meet. SAD!!!! This company is only worried about lining its pockets. I started as a cashier on days and hated it. The pressure to sell memberships, upgrades and credits is unbelievable. Every single department has to push this on the members....when they walk through the door, at membership, at the register, self check out and when inquiring about a product on the floor. I finally transferred to nights and its equally as frustrating. NO training, bias management, short staffed, expected to do the job of 3 people and unrealistic deadlines. We lost 4 people over a year ago and they have yet to replace them - a year! To me that is unacceptable. No consistency in work loads or whats expected, home office is constantly changing their minds. We will do transitions on Tuesday and have to turn around and change them out again on Friday..and then again 2 days later...and to boot expected to fully stock the store. The women on nights are treated extremely poor - constantly pulled from their areas, never given any help and singled out to do the "womanly" jobs - like setting up beds, decorating the vignettes and doing the displays for domestics or clothing. No manager is held accountable for their discriminatory or disrespectful behavior towards associates, and worst of all the current GM is a joke because she allows it to happen. I say current because they are constantly changing....this is the second GM since I have been here. So I say until I finish school this will have to do to pay the bills.....but absolutely recommend to no one to work here if they can help it.

Advice: I really have none. The companies sales are down because the members are unhappy with Sams. They are tired of being harassed to upgrade or get a credit card, they hate that they never keep products that sell well in the store - one day its there next day its gone. In the end this company will undoubtedly fail and the only people that will benefit is the Walton heirs, that is if the lawsuits and revenue loss doesn't bleed them dry first.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overworked with little pay

I worked at Sam's Club full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

atleast i had a free membership

Cons

management do not care employees, you can just be replaced if you have a problem.

try to treat your employees like they're human beings

Decent pay, long hours, little appreciation for their workers. I felt neglected as an employee. Did not enjoy myself.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was decent and i like the products sold.

Cons

Managers were way to serious and weren't accommodating of other's feelings or schedules.

Learn how to communicate better with your employees

Love this company an its culture

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and the commitment that they have to their business. Non-Union mentality, Open Door Policy

Cons

Just a few things but that would be the case with any company.

None

Excellent Company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sam's Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Management, Promotions, Great Co Workers, Clean Environment

Cons

Hours, Schedules, Salary, Customers can be rude, Work late on holidays

Make sure that you advance the people that deserve it and not overlook them

Horrible!!

Current Employee - O/N Stocker  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - O/N Stocker in Madison, WI

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

I can not even think of any except that I get two days off in a row! I guess for retail my pay started out decent but not the greatest!

Cons

I've read reviews and I don't see how this is a good company. This is the worst job I've had! I work overnights and the people I work with are lazy. I was told that I work to fast. I'm not forklift certified (been told at least 10 times I would be trained but never enough time) so I rely on other co-workers to provide me with work to do. When I ask it's a problem. Made a complaint with my boss and he gave a speech during our meeting. Nothing has changed except people don't like me, not that I care.

The store has a dirty feel to it because there is not a care in the world about detail or cleanliness.

No benefits or raises for a year. When trying to move up there is barely a pay increase, even becoming a supervisor or team lead. There has been no real training. It has been a horrible experience and I am looking for a new job and a better company to work for.

SAMs club is all about $ and they really don't care how they treat their employees!

Management needs to step up and make sure people are doing their jobs. Make sure the store is neat and clean. I have talked to many people that no longer shop at SAMs club because the store doesn't feel clean or inviting. Go look at a Costco and compare the cleanliness, the attitude of employees and just the overall feel. Just an honest opinion.

(Field internship) Perfect intern environment

Former Employee - Field Operations Intern  in  Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - Field Operations Intern in Orange Park, FL

I worked at Sam's Club as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very welcoming environment, learned a lot, and they were very supportive.

Cons

Sometimes the members were not very nice

Continue doing what you do

Great people but Terrible company. Wal-Mart Stores Inc or Sam's Club

Former Employee - Member Champion  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Member Champion in Orlando, FL

I worked at Sam's Club full-time for more than a year

Pros

Yearly bonus up to 2500 for saftey.

Cons

Your just a number. It is a wal-mart company. Terrible place to work.

Get out while you can. They over work and under pay their managers.

Worked for Sam's Club? Contribute to the Community!