Sam's Club

Sam's Club Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Sam's Club President and CEO Rosalind G. Brewer

Rosalind G. Brewer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits are possible while improving your customer service skills(in 44 reviews)

• The oppurtunity to learn every aspect of the job and business Decent pay and benefits(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you become salaried forget having work life balance(in 24 reviews)

• Was pushed to the limit to sell credits and plus memberships since the club was doing terrible(in 51 reviews)

Listen to your employees they are your best idea generators.

Team Leader (Current Employee) Strongsville, OH

ProsDecent benefits. Culture is superior to the walmart side. Opportunities to advance. Better atmosphere than traditional retail.

ConsScheduling is horrid. Was once family oriented now straying away from that.
    Pay leaves much to be desired when compared to our main competitor. Hard to enter manager in training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWORK LIFE BALANCE NEEDS ATTENTION! Especially manager rotations I.e. Overnight manager, supervisor days off.(everyone deserves a weekend off sooner or later) Interns with ZERO experience becoming managers!?? GROW TALENT FROM WITHIN! RETAIN IT! ENCOURAGE! Pay scale has changed ie levels system ie removing or slashing incentives (Sunday, overnight premium, etc etc) expectations and job responsibilities keep increasing so how about we re examine our pay scale and incentives to the people that run the clubs and not the suits that visit once/twice a month. All area supervisors should be "managers in training" if no desire to manage then step aside and let new talent grow.

Don't do it!

Produce Associate (Current Employee) Brooksville, FL

ProsSome of your fellow co-workers are cool that's about it.

ConsThe management here is constantly on your back and the produce section is very understaffed. We increased sales by 30 percent with an average of 22 less hours being worked per week than the previous year. Not a very pleasant work atmosphere especially considering how much work it involves. The pay is not very good either.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours to the employees so that everything you expect us to do can get done without us rushing through tasks to squeeze everything in a small time frame.

Proceed with caution...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wentzville, MO

ProsVery common retail environment. Stress given on customer service to members, expect daily meetings (pep rallies) chants cheers, expectation on community service. Areas consist of a team lead and manager.

ConsNew or newer clubs have an emphasis on membership drives and once opened upselling current members to convert to premium levels. Lot of computer based training once hired that you are required to maintain.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never again. Ever.

Produce Associate (Current Employee) Niagara Falls, NY

ProsUsually your fellow associates in or around your department are what keeps you going. You can wear anything to the job, as long as you wear your blue vest. Tattoos are also acceptable.

ConsThis place never stick to their word or promises. I hardly get any help when I most need it, as management usually just relaxes on the front end... Especially the store manager. Never has management asked how I am, only to what I may be doing wrong. Their promised incentives also go unnoticed, as I feel like a ghost when I perform tasks out of my responsibilities. Even if I sit there and not help one member, or help every member, it wouldn't make a difference which is unnerving and confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job. It's honestly not that more difficult. I do the labor while you literally sit in your rolling chair, leg up and hands behind your head. Remember my name without looking at my name tag. Also, leave room to grow.

Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsVery relaxed work place , associates are helpful , managers are nice and help if they know you would like to move up. There is lots of room for growth with the company .

ConsThe hours are not great for partime and the constant up selling of memberships.

Sam's Club is a very family friendly type atmosphere and the employees at Sam's will bend over backwards to help anyone.

Overnight Merchandiser (Former Employee) Hattiesburg, MS

ProsThe starting pay was generally higher than most places and the recognize and appreciate thier people.

ConsIt was some what a little difficult to move to another position or promotion due to a set of some employees but, overall great place to work and SHOP...;-)

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part I would say good Job and well done howevever, give everyone the same chances of advancement.

Horrible, Favoritism, over worked, threats of firing for no reason.

Cashier (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsPay is not bad.

ConsOverly high expectations, no common decency, the manager will reprimand you at the top of their voice in front of everyone. They will constantly threaten to fire you to "motivate" you. And bounce you in between departments with no training then scold you for not knowing what to do. In my orientation there were 12 people everyone but two had quit within two months, I quit in three. An average retention ration of 1:12 is not good to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up a little, and try showing some positive reinforcement, it will always motivate someone more then constantly making them feel like they do nothing correct.

Good job

Cafe Associate (Former Employee) Laredo, TX

ProsGood pay, bonus, closed Sundays

ConsRetail hours. Have to persuade members to upgrade

Nobody Knows What They're Doing

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mansfield, TX

ProsThe pay is decent, but they expect you to work like a dog for it. I can't think of any pros besides the pay.

ConsThe 'training' consists of watching an hour-long training video about how not to join a union. That should tell you a lot about their corporate values. I had no idea who my boss was. There were at least three people I was told were my boss. At the end, I just assumed it was anyone over thirty wearing a suit. I worked for this company for three weeks and they were already talking about cutting my pay. My coworkers were just random people pulled from wherever with no professionalism and no tact. They told me I was fired out of the clear blue and forgot to put in the paperwork. I had to go back and quit just to be done with the whole thing. By the way, people who shop at Sam's Club, the store you go to is disgusting and NEVER gets cleaned. Flies walk over the food you eat and nobody cares.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about actually managing? All the management did was give conflicting advice, awful training, and no guidance. When I made a mistake, the management tried to dock my pay instead of just showing me how to fix it.

First Job

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Gurnee, IL

ProsIt was a great place to learn how to work in a pharmacy.

Conshigh turnover rate in the store

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove on getting managers that actually know how to manage.

Worked for Sam's Club? Contribute to the Community!