Sam's Club Reviews

Reset

1,554 Employee Reviews

1. floor super

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time

Pros

You can get a Bonus for up to 2500$ once a year.

Cons

Most of the managers or messy and tell everybody your private business

Advice to Management

Keep your employees private business between yall two.

2. 50/50

Former Employee - Cashier in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Sam's Club (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay
    Flexible hours
    diverse with customers and workers

Cons

Mangers are a hit and miss
    No such thing as full time

Advice to Management

Everyone has different goals. Dont be so pushy

3. management is horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southgate, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southgate, MI

I worked at Sam's Club

Pros

You get a raise every year which is pretty cool you can move to different departments which is always nice

Cons

Management has there favorites they accept to much when your already working your hardest and there sales suck

Advice to Management

Give people a break on there sales don't make them feel like crap you can't make people buy something they don't want

5. Sams club

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

More than min wage

Good managers

Cons

Can't get overtime

Always short handed

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Lead in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Team Lead in San Juan, PR

I have been working at Sam's Club full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best learning experience great oportunity

Cons

Very fast work enviroment you cant sleep for 1 second or you out

7. Member Service Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a grwt company and always bussy time goes by fast and they have all the benefits you can imagine.

Cons

The hours are not the greatest and you know your clock in time but you never know what tome you leave.

life isn't all that better in the club

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hot Springs, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hot Springs, AR

I have been working at Sam's Club part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, nice people, good pay

Cons

Petty drama, childish behavior from manger's, hours cut short without notice

Advice to Management

Maybe start worrying more about your employee's since it's our job to help keep the doors open.

Only a small step above Wal-Mart

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Most managers are generally understanding if you have something going on in your life outside work and care about you as a person as well as an employee.
    -Lax dress code. No khakis necessary. You can wears jeans and t-shirts, as long as they are not extremely dirty, contain swear words, or ripped up. Basically, as long as you are presentable, you're fine.
    -Sam's Share...this can be a great thing if the whole store does well. Most retailers do not offer profit sharing bonuses. Sam's Club does. However, it is also used as a threatening tool by management if they feel your department is not doing well enough. You'll hear about how the Sam's Share is gonna go down if we don't meet this target, or it went down already for some reason, or the store may not even get one...even though you can plainly SEE that there are always lots of people there and the store is obviously making plenty of money. Management gets an exponentially larger bonus than the rest of the employees too, and they get quite upset if their bonus goes from say, 6 figures to only 5...meanwhile, a phenomenal year for employees is a low 4 figure bonus (1-2 grand). Usually it ends up being a few hundred dollars. Still, it's better than no bonus at all, so I listed it as a pro.
    -Advancement opportunities. You can change your position and move up with a lot more ease than other retail jobs, for the most part. However, if you are too good at your job, and regularly pick up the slack of others, your manager will not want to let you go and the other managers don't like to step on toes, so just be aware of that.
    -Transferability. If you are planning to move, you can most likely transfer to another store easily enough. Most transfer requests I have seen get approved.

Cons

-Inconsistent pay scale that varies from state to state. It also doesn't take into account if you are cross-trained between many departments. You get one raise per year, varying from 20-60 cents per hour, and nobody I know of ever got the 60 cents...because management claims nobody is perfect and they best they will give is 50 cents.
    -Management is afraid to fire employees that are not doing their job...instead, they push that work off onto the good workers, with no increase in pay for the extra work and if you are lucky, maybe they will say thank you. That's about it.
    -If you are a college student, and were told they would work around your college schedule...that is only true when it's convenient for them. Even if you give them multiple copies of your class schedule, they will still schedule outside of your availability. It's like they just throw your class schedule in the trash after you give it to them. I filled out numerous availability sheets too, that apparently never got entered into the computer system, even though I'd gotten them signed by management.
    -Hours vary hugely from week to week if you are part time. They will work you as many 40 hour weeks as they can get away with WITHOUT having to make you full time. And they will compensate for that later, cutting you down to only 20 hours, maybe even less, to bring down your overall average. So don't think they are being nice by giving you extra hours...they will pretty much take that money back later, especially when they schedule you for those waste of time and gas money 4 hour shifts.
    -If you are in certain departments, requests for time off are strictly first come, first serve. Even if one employee is always requesting weekends off and you rarely request time off, they will get it if they put their request in first.
    -Gossip. Almost every employee gossips, which in a sense is basic human nature...but they automatically don't like you if you keep to yourself and just do your work. If they can't gossip about you, you're considered weird. If they can gossip about you, count on it that they will.
    -Policy inconsistency. You can be told not to do something under any circumstances...but if a customer demands it and makes enough of a fuss and you call the manager, they will get their way and the manager will make it look like you were just being a jerk. And then the next time that customer is there, they know they can get whatever they want and treat you like crap. Respect for the individual may be the company slogan, but don't expect to ever see it enforced. It is supposed to apply to all customers, employees, and management, but it doesn't. Customers can be as disrespectful as they want and even call you names, while you're still being respectful to them, and management will come and act like you were the one in the wrong.
    -If you break policy and do what you know the manager is going to do anyway, you still get told you weren't supposed to do that and lectured by management.
    -Irresponsible scheduling. You will be told when you get hired that they will *never* schedule to work a department all by yourself. This is not true. It will happen, and more than once. And not just because everyone else called out, although that will happen too. I was scheduled to close my department all by myself twice in as many weeks, during one of the busiest times of the year. When I asked my team lead and the manager why, nobody had an explanation. They just said it "wouldn't happen again." But it did.
    -Insurance. Their insurance plans are a joke and way overpriced. A $300 Health savings plan for a single person? That's the cheapest option. I don't need help saving $300 aside in case of health expenses, I can handle that myself. Thanks anyway though.
    -Work/life balance. Expect to get the shifts nobody else wants, which is generally the closing shifts. And although they say they won't schedule you more than 5 days in a row without a day off, that happens often. The highest I saw someone get was 8 days in a row, without their agreeing to it. Are there places that do worse? I'm sure there probably are, but still...if you say no more than 5 days in a row without a day off unless the employee offers to do it, that's what should happen.

Advice to Management

-Appreciate the good workers when you have them, before it's too late. Don't let certain people skate by doing the bare minimum or less just because they have worked there for years. These people are only setting a bad example for the new people and if they are not dealt with, then most of your employees will follow suit. It spreads the mentality of, "why should I work harder? I'm not going to get paid any more if I do. Let someone else take care of what I don't finish."
    -When certain employees are always requesting weekends off, say no and stick to it! Just because they know how to work the system shouldn't mean they get the monopoly on time off as opposed to someone who has something come up unexpectedly.
    -Place value on employees that can work in more than one department, rather than just using the "level" pay scale and the yearly performance review and raise. Someone who can do a "level 3" job and several other "level 2" jobs should get some kind of wage premium, one would think.
    -Apply the same policies to everyone. It's understandable to make exceptions in rare cases, but when exceptions are made every day, something is not right.
    -Give employees the individual autonomy to use their judgement to make exceptions in those rare cases, rather than making the customer wait for management to come be the hero who says an exception can be made.

Member Service

Former Employee - Membership Associate in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Membership Associate in Worcester, MA

I worked at Sam's Club part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere and positive energy
    Great starting pay
    Management is approachable and very friendly

Cons

The upper management beyond my store needs serious work. I was sexually harassed on multiple occasions and went to management every time to resolve the issue. Instead of firing my harasser on the spot they told me they would change MY position so I wouldn't come in contact with him anymore. I learned later that this decision came from higher up and not my store manager. My belief to this day is that they did not punish him in ANY way because he was physically handicapped (not in anyway mentally he was actually a very educated man) and didn't want to face a nasty lawsuit from him as a rebuttal. It was a disgusting situation and a disgrace.

Advice to Management

Handle sexual harassment concerns seriously and don't favor associates. The man that harassed me could have or potentially harass a member now that he believes there are no consequences for his actions.

11. Average

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calumet City, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calumet City, IL

I worked at Sam's Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good and the hours were to.when you ask for more hours 9xs out of 10 they would give them to you

Cons

No one really worked as a team.when you would ask the managers for help they would say yes but never give it to you

Advice to Management

Help your associates more

Showing 1,554 of 1,566 reviews