Sambreel Reviews

3.8

Kai Hankinson

Amazing place to work, great team environment

Current Employee - Director of Marketing  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Sambreel full-time for more than a year

Pros

All medical benefits are paid and lunch is catered. Free drinks all around the office which is really nice. Usually a team outing once per quarter which is good for getting to know your coworkers better.

Cons

All the social events center around beer & wine so if you don't drink then some of the time it seems to focused around alcohol.

Support employee goals that may not align with the company. This is hard for every company; just realize that no matter what people are going to move on so help them on their journey.

Best Company to work for in San Diego!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sambreel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Progressive, Employee focused Work Environment
    Competitive Compensation
    Flexible Work Schedule (I am allowed to work a schedule that meets the needs of my family as well as being afforded a fully functional home work station that allows me to complete 99% of my work from home. Since my commute to work is 1 hour in each direction, this allows me a great deal more time with my family as well as saving hundreds of dollars in fuel costs each month!)
    Work From Home Options
    Top-Notch Employee Benefits
    Furthered Education and Training Support

Cons

The Software Industry can be unpredictable in regard to long term future employment.

One of the top companies in San Diego to work for

Current Employee - Executive  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sambreel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovative, fun work environment. Cool products. Amazingly talented colleagues. Top of market pay and compensation; awesome perks, office atmosphere and culture. Rapid growth. Freedom and autonomy.

Cons

The company is in a competitive software industry that is really fast paced. It often competes directly with industry giants. Not a con for some people, but the Internet is not a space for people who like slow, secure industries like oil or manufacturing.

Also, the company operates in a controversial space in the software industry that has higher risks than some tech ventures.

Keep innovating. Don't get stuck in the box of our existing business model.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Payroll No No. People on the take, who should not be.

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sambreel

Pros

free drinks, food, cool people, great experience, awesome xmas party, free carwashes, free cell phones, awesome computers, cool people, great network.

Cons

poor corporate strategy, layoff was huge, and severance was crap, roadmap was frenetic at best, and too many times was I led down the wrong path, i think they needed to be smarter about what was important and stuck with it, towards the end everyone one was doing something different everyday.

Get a clue, and chill on the spending, culture was great but at what cost? you preach caring for your "family" but how many people were hired for less than a year and uprooted from their homes and now are unemployed, or are making lees than they need to survive in SD. Sucks for them, ok and putting people on the take who should not be, you know who you are who knew and let it go, I should have said something sooner.

Good benefits, but company is unorganized and career paths are unclear

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Sambreel

Pros

Great benefits. Friendly colleagues. A lot of perks - the company really cares about employee sanctification - free lunch, free dinner, snacks, car washes. etc

Cons

Very unorganized - zero training for new employees and very little directions from supervisors. Career paths are unclear. Promotions really depends on which team you are in.

It will be better if they can hire managers who really can manage people well

Great place to work until they let you go without notice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Sambreel

Pros

When things are going well at Sambreel, it is an ideal place to work. They maintain (or used to, at least) an entrepreneurial environment for each of their product teams while still functioning "under the umbrella" of a larger company. Free drinks, free snacks, free lunches, free dinners if you work late, games rooms, etc. All the perks you could ask for.

Cons

Management has no idea how to plan for risk and sinks money into products that are not generating income like there's no tomorrow. As a result, the company was not prepared strategically or financially for a predictable change in their business model, voluntarily gave up one of their main sources of income prematurely, and ended up having to lay off 60% of their staff with no warning and minimal severance. Those laid off included many people who had been with the company since it was only a few dozen people and who had contributed significantly to its success while working extremely hard. On the other hand, many who remained had only been with the company for a few months. In other words, the company has shown absolutely no loyalty to its employees.

In addition, even when things were going well, new employees were lured in with the promise of large bonuses (up to 150% of their salary), only to find that the bonuses were based on unrealistic goals and expectations and, in reality, varied from nothing to 15%.

Demonstrate to your employees that their loyalty and hard work matter beyond just contributing to your bottom line. Make business decisions based on analysis and good business sense rather than ego and greed.

I feel lucky every day that I get to go to work at a place like Sambreel.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Sambreel

Pros

It's hard not to brag about Sambreel. The company provides an incomparable work environment to mirror its exceptional employees.
    The company culture is what makes it great. We operate under a philosophy of "freedom with responsibility." We are treated like adults by providing us the freedom and leeway to achieve greatness. You will be hard pressed to find a day where someone doesn't reflect on how incredibly lucky we are.
    Compensation is offered at the top of the market, including a possibility of earning up to 150% of your salary. Our benefits package is unmatched and is offered at zero cost to any employee. We are lucky to have senior executives who believe in rewarding great work and so we have both a quarterly review and bonus structure. And we top it all off with 2 of the greatest company parties I have ever heard of.

Cons

Sambreel expects a lot so people work very hard and need to stay on top of their game. Additionally, the freedom that comes with our company culture is not for everyone. People who work here love to work so there is potential for burnout if work and time commitments are not properly managed.

Our company culture is our greatest gift. As our company grows, that culture is put at risk. Make sure to check on it frequently and ensure all major business decisions are aligned with said culture and our Sambreel family.

Great experience with plenty of growth and opportunity

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Sambreel

Pros

Training, Fun working environment, activities, outings, free snacks, opportunity for growth.

Cons

Restricted to one location. However, this may change.

None.

Bumpy ride, but always aspiring to stay true to its values

I have been working at Sambreel

Pros

The company hires incredibly smart and hard-working people. The work environment is great because of this focus on high performance. While this is not for everyone, people who want to work hard with other smart people really appreciate the company's commitment to only hiring and keeping other smart and hard-working people. This really is the best gift you can get from an employer, in my opinion.

Cons

The company laid off more than 50% of its workforce in January 2012. This was really hard for the people who got laid off (obviously), but also for those who remained and who still considered our former co-workers our friends. Since then, and especially more recently, the company has clarified its vision and direction, and has made more effort to be as transparent as possible with its employees. Spending got out of control, but it seems like management is now taking a more measured and intelligent approach.

Continue to be transparent to employees, and even push beyond what you are comfortable with sharing. I have only seen this kind of transparency (accompanied by good context) result in good relationships with people. Also, figure out how to spend and invest wisely.

Does not live up to the promise of truly caring about their employees.

I worked at Sambreel

Pros

Catered lunches, car washes, ping-pong, air hockey, casual dress.

Cons

The company has grown from approximately 30 in February to more than 100 since June. Simply put, management is ill-prepared to handle such a growth. It seems employees are nothing but tools that only require free lunches to keep oiled and thus are replaceable. I have witnessed dedicated team members dropped without any consent from their managers who they actually WORK with.
    Such treatment is tenfold with contractor employees who have been let go with no feedback or if the employee is at fault, no warnings or second chances. While I understand that such a practice is a part of being a contractor, it is simply disrespectful especially if the company refers to their workers as "Family."

It isn't smart business or technology that got your company where it is. It's your people. Whether they are a full-time employee or a contractor, they deserve the same respect. If you feel the need to let someone go, be sure it is for the better of the company and that person understands the reason as they can avoid the mistake in the future.

Worked for Sambreel? Contribute to the Community!