Samson Resources Reviews

2.5
Randy Limbacher

1. Accounting Intern - Summer 2011

I worked at Samson Resources

Pros

Samson has a very strong internship program

Cons

Samson has and continues to go through many changes

2. Good company bad timing

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Samson Resources full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people work environment and salary. Exciting job also. Great benefits and solid management. I enjoy working here. Good asset base.

Cons

Oil prices are low and the company is struggling. The company has been going through restructuring and is struggling to make it.

Hang in there

3. Stay away.

I worked at Samson Resources full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Samson Resources paid well and offered a chanllenging job.

Cons

Honesty of company and upper level management.
    Management micromanged.
    Management had a hard time making a decision.

Quit micromanaging.

5. Good start but ended bad

Former Employee - Help Desk in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Samson Resources

Pros

Good pay and benefits including a gym, matched 401K, etc.

Cons

It's a "who you know that gets you promoted" here. Most of the people are friendly but some are completely untrustworthy and will lie to your face, unfortunately some of them are in the HR department. I was there before the company went public so hopefully some of these issues have gotten better.

6. Long hours, Pays well, high expectations

Former Employee - Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Samson Resources full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Prior to sale in 2011, it was very progressive company. Very good benefits in relation to other companies and industries. Pay tended to be higher than other industries but pretty much in line with other oil and gas companies. The CEO prior to the sale was outstanding.

Cons

Extraordinarily long hours with high expectations and little support from supervisors and management. There were quite a few management personnel that very poor management skills and in a few cases, were in over their head as the company grew. After the sale, things deteriorated significantly - particularly in compensation in light of the expected workload.

7. Samson resources (KKR)
    A huge disappointment

Current Employee - Non Management JIA in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Non Management JIA in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Samson Resources full-time

Pros

Benefits and perks are good.

Cons

Bonuses and raises do not come easily. Sufficient training is not given, unless in a management position and sometimes not even then. Procedures are multi step and complicated. Supervisors are presented as 'golden'. Managers are ineffective.

Spend a few days doing the jobs of the people you supervise and manage, and you aren't allowed to use your advanced knowledge by way of having been trained....because your employees aren't offered the same advantage.

8. Going down hill really fast

Former Employee - Lease Operator in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Lease Operator in Longview, TX

I worked at Samson Resources full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stacy sold company and gave everyone a good bonus. Pay is better than some in this area. Not much else good to say.

Cons

Pay is around $5 lower here than at other companies. One of the superintendents called each worker individually and told them that we would be getting an incentive bonus of one years salary for continuing to work at Samson for 5 more years. 1/2 at 2 1/2 years and the other 1/2 at 5 years. Shortly after, we had a company wide meeting and we were all told that we would be getting some worthless stock. Which is still worthless today. Everyone felt deceived, betrayed, and mislead. Supervisors are so intimidated by people lower than them that they only promote people who are not smart enough to do the supervisors job. After Stacy sold to KKR the turnover rate sky rocketed. We went through 4 superintendents, and in our field of 20 pumpers, we have had 5 pumpers quit just this year. We had the Superintendents son transfer to a growing field. We also had a foreman transfer to that same field. Their jobs are safe. Our field is falling apart day by day and I suspect that it will be sold in the near future. Supervisors strap on the feed sack everyday at lunch that is paid for by Samson. Company trucks have been used by foremen and above to go on family vacations and hunting trips. Foremen have been caught in there offices during business hours exercising, with other foremen videoing them on their phone. Foremen have hunting cameras placed all over the field spying on the pumpers. The Safety Man has the foulest mouth ever. No manners at all. In front of men and women. The buddy system wins everytime. It is not what you know , but who's butt you kiss. Nobody get along. They only appear to like each other on front of certain people. Everyone has a click or group that they run with. Our current superintendent is a great guy but only knows what he is told. He is mostly misinformed by the intimidated foremen. If the REAL supervisors really cared, they would talk to the workers and get their personal opinions, not hear what's happening through the grapevine. Get your information from the horses mouth. Seniority means nothing at this company. Maintenance foreman sits in office day after day doing no maintenance. He has no knowledge of maintenance or anything having to do in the oil field. Hasn't been here long but they like him. He sure can fill out a report even if it does take him all day.

If a foreman is pointing a finger at someone, look at that foreman first. Please don't assume that he is telling the truth. No matter how good of a friend you THINK he is. Do what is best for the company and put personal feelings aside. If not someone or something could get damaged, hurt or even killed because of the lack of knowledge that you promote. If KKR really knew what was happening, I think they would let some heads roll. We are all here to make money and pay our bills, just like KKR. If KKR had a man in the field giving them feedback what would he tell them right now? Would you be worried? I would.

Beware

Former Employee - Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Samson Resources full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Other employees (the peons), paid well.

Cons

Long hours - no work life balance that was given by HR when hired. Lack of support from upper mgmt. Saw management yell at people a lot even though they didn't train them or tell them exactly what they wanted. High turnover. Kept saying wanted change, but didn't want to listen or implement any ideas related to change.

Stop trying to bully people, treat people how you would want to treat others, train people before you yell at them, actually follow the work-life balance that Samson touts!

Much better when Stacy was in charge

Current Employee - Land Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Land Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Samson Resources full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They treat and compensate employees well. Decent benefits and PTO as well as great "extras" such as education, gym and computer reimbursement. Lots of responsibility and room for growth - as well as many managers that will fight for their employees.

Cons

Since the sale to KKR and co, thre have been many changes for the worse including a foggy business plan/direction, increasingly high turnover and a dismal work environment. The Denver office gets treated as second tier while the company's only real opportunites are in the rockies.

Quit telling everyone it's business as usual when it's not and throwing around buzzwords to evade questions in company wide meetings. People are leaving because they're unhappy with management and the current work enviroment. Denver should be a priority and absolutely NEEDS some sort of in-house HR.

11. Thuggish management

Former Employee - Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Samson Resources full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Starbucks coffee in the kitchen. Decent offices. Nothing else to really talk about. This is just 20 word filler

Cons

Bullies in management, inept HR who do nothing to correct the problem. The career coach in HR was too busy writing a personal blog sniping at fellow coworkers and the employee advocate had no backbone. Different departments were horrible to one another and the tribe mentality was insane. Internet security is run like the Gestapo with IT prying beyond questionable legal limits.

Management (the new owners KKR) recently took some of my advice and fired many of the thugs and bullies in management. There are still a few left that they missed though. Hopefully no other company will hire these social rejects.