Samson Resources Reviews

Reset
2.6
Randy Limbacher

1. Accountant

I worked at Samson Resources full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay & benefits; Flexible work schedule; progressive careers

Cons

Since the company was bought its become unstable, which is a disaster when it's already a volatile industry. It also lost its family atmosphere and has become impersonal.

2. Overall good experience.. Learned a lot about the oil business

Former Employee - EHS Department in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - EHS Department in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Samson Resources full-time

Pros

Company offered a lot of perks.. Classes in Microsoft office programs in house. Left you alone to do your work.

Cons

Sometimes there was not enough communication between management and the lower sector.. Left in the dark much of the time about direction you were to be working toward.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees people!! They are your backbone!! They will work to the bone for you if they just know what you want and for a pat on the head.. A little recognition goes a long way to make an employee happy and work harder.

3. Steer Clear of this one folks.

I worked at Samson Resources full-time

Pros

Good pay, company vehicle, good benefits- 401k company match, health insurance, company cell phone, company computer. Great severance package.

Cons

The company got too big for it's own britches and began aggressively exploring in shale that had already proven to be relatively unsuccessful in an attempt to build capital, while also liquidating assets in other regions. Sure, there were a few decent assets, but overall, most were a giant waste of time and money. This company doomed itself when it bought out a competitor in the area. That competitor's assets were old and produced very little. With gas prices falling through, paying an exorbitant amount of money for the competitor, massive lingering debt, Samson had to trim the fat somewhere. It began with management and their assistants. Then the engineers. The second round affected field employees, cutting their workforce by almost 1/2. It is very unlikely that Samson will be around much longer without declaring bankruptcy or a supernatural event. I think we would have stayed afloat if we had not bought dying assets and a dying company. Buying the competitor reduced their workforce, and because of little return from assets, Samson had to reduce its own workforce to keep stable on an unholy amount of wells with only a few with automation, that many pumpers and foremen will find impossible to maintain. KKR made a huge mistake in buying Samson.

Advice to Management

My time at Samson would have been better had I not been "armchair quarterbacked" instead of actually getting hands on when issues arose, by rustling management out of their snuggly offices and putting boots to butts to get things done. Your employees are not as dumb as you think they are, and it may be prudent to ask them how to make their jobs easier and likeable, then take action, instead of feeding them lip-service and blaming them for unsolved issues when approached by higher management. On top of that, there was more drama in the field offices than on an episode of Glee. I appreciate the opportunity, but this was hands down one of the worst companies I've ever worked for recognizing hard work, encouraging teamwork, building camaraderie, conflicts with time management, leveling workload with peers, scheduling, taking vacation, relying on coworkers, and feeling successful. You let go a lot of good men and women this year, and I will never come back, despite the generous gift at the end of my tenure. Perhaps I'll eat crow and return if new management ever puts out, but judging by past history, I won't count on it.

5. Change Isn't Always For the Better

I worked at Samson Resources

Pros

Flexible hours, incredible benefits, excellent salary, great people

Cons

New management doesn't seem to have any clue what they're doing as they steer the company towards bankruptcy. Complete lack of communication from upper management, and a seemingly endless stream of contractors, advisors, and consultants to "fix" the place. New owners vastly overpaid for the company when they bought it...and they know it. Very uncertain work environment, as everyone expects layoffs to continue for the foreseeable future.

Advice to Management

Don't just sit back and let all the negative press wash over you; even if people will just call it damage control or spin-doctoring, at least try talking to your employees!

6. Stay away! company headed torward Bankruptcy

I have been working at Samson Resources

Pros

Good pay, company vehicle, good benefits- 401k company match, health insurance, personal vehicle and cell phone discount.

Cons

Field employees are looked down on for having a degree, no place to advance unless you are buddies with upper level. come up with an idea, and they say it wont work, in 1-6 months they are using your idea and saying it was someone else's. long hours, they keep you in the dark until the end, they are currently evaluating field employees for layoffs.

Advice to Management

let employees know what's going on, don't tell us your going to do something and do something completely different.

7. Accounting Intern - Summer 2011

I worked at Samson Resources

Pros

Samson has a very strong internship program

Cons

Samson has and continues to go through many changes

8. Sexism running rampant

Former Employee - Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Samson Resources (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, promotes from within

Cons

Being a woman is a definite disadvantage.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees based on their experience and work product, not their gender.

9. Good company bad timing

Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Samson Resources full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people work environment and salary. Exciting job also. Great benefits and solid management. I enjoy working here. Good asset base.

Cons

Oil prices are low and the company is struggling. The company has been going through restructuring and is struggling to make it.

Advice to Management

Hang in there

10. Stay away.

I worked at Samson Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Samson Resources paid well and offered a chanllenging job.

Cons

Honesty of company and upper level management. Management micromanged. Management had a hard time making a decision.

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging.

11. Good start but ended bad

Former Employee - Help Desk in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Samson Resources

Pros

Good pay and benefits including a gym, matched 401K, etc.

Cons

It's a "who you know that gets you promoted" here. Most of the people are friendly but some are completely untrustworthy and will lie to your face, unfortunately some of them are in the HR department. I was there before the company went public so hopefully some of these issues have gotten better.

RSS Feed </> Embed