Samsonite Reviews

Tim Parker

1. Great company

Current Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Samsonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very family friendly employer. The hierarchy is clear and as long as you do what you are supposed to do, you get supported by management. Pay is not bad for this area either.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Too many unnecessary meetings. Like in any other big company, the politics and lack of communication is very visible.

Advice to Management

For the most part management is great. Need to ensure you find a way to keep the good employees though and weed out the 'not so good' workers faster.

2. Warehouse associate

Current Employee - Warehouse in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Samsonite (More than a year)

Pros

They let me supervise when busy

Cons

They don't let you move up

Advice to Management

Give people opportunities to grow

3. Started great, now seeing the real side

Pros

Good work relationship between coworkers. Best benefits.

Cons

Management is lazy and only looking out for themselves. Management continues bad mouthing employees to other employees. No room for improvement even when there are open positions to move up. Hard working employees are not recognized but the lazy employees are favored.

Advice to Management

I have been working for Samsonite for 6 years now and I do not recommend this job.

5. VERY NICE MANAGEMENT, COWORKERS LIKE A FAMILY

Former Employee - Supervisor in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Samsonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the manager is really nice, coworkers get along and help each others. monthly bonus if you reach the sales goal. 2 weeks vacation yearly and match health insurance benefits.

Cons

pay is not enough,. if you don't seek management position, the pay raise is barely nothing. work most weekends and holidays like all the other retail stories.

Advice to Management

make your hard working employees see their bright futures if you want to keep them stay. Samsonite is a good company to work with, they focus on their customers, always satisfied their customers, that's what I saw as a Samsonite employee.

6. SO-SO

I have been working at Samsonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount, Minimal daily store maintenance due to the type of product, bonus program is well worth it if you are in a high volume store

Cons

Benefits are ok except the PTO policy, 2 weeks a year, you can't take it before you earn it and a lot of black out periods. The holidays (7) they pay for are only paid if you work on it and then it's time and a half otherwise no pay, no personal days and no sick time. Upper management can be a micro manager and once you've done something wrong you might as well forget moving forwards, they never forget anything. The pay for hourly employees is well below the industry standards.

Advice to Management

Let people redeem themselves. Hire more corporate level people within departments. It's insane to me that only 1 person does HRF, 1 person does Payroll and 2 people are product allocators for over 120 stores.

7. I Don't Know how They Make Money

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, MA

I worked at Samsonite full-time

Pros

Salary was alright, random holidays like Good Friday are nice, team building events (that the vast majority of people don't attend unless there is free food, and even then there is a bizarre amount of begging) can be fun, and the products really are good.

Cons

This is where dreams go to die. If you are highly motivated, remotely assertive, or interested in learning... anything, run in the opposite direction. I have never worked with a stranger, more incompetent group of people in my life. I know people complain about management, but seriously none of these people have a clue of what they want, how they want it, why they want it, what planet we're on, how to tie their shoes, etc. "Fit" is paramount. Statements like "you're going to need to dumb it down a bit to fit in here" and "having your teammates like you is the most important thing" were favorites of my manager, along with "here are all the reasons why every person in this office sucks at their job, and life. God I hate it here." Comical amount of nepotism. Vast majority of employees have never, and will never, worked anywhere else. Benefits are pretty much crap. 2 weeks vacation, basically no tuition reimbursement, dental insurance doesn't cover a full cleaning. Office is old and depressing. There are absolutely zero building perks.

Advice to Management

You have no idea how lucky you are to have created great products. If it really came down to the people steering the ship, it would capsize. Titanic style.

Stable Job but not very good pay.

I have been working at Samsonite part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They work around your school schedule and will give you days off. There is a fairly steady stream of customers as well so you wont get bored.

Cons

The sales training is a bit of a gimmick though I do think if followed it might work well. No commission unless full time and even then its based on overall store performance.

Advice to Management

Make sure the store manager doesn't punish people by decreasing hours after they take time off. Especially if its something that can't be helped.

9. Great Company

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Samsonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Product learning is great and it is an easy job. Manager is inspirational and motivational. they have wonderful employees and HR is so friendly.

Cons

Their part timers want stay because if the hours, other than that great company

Advice to Management

Stop hogging the hours

Manager is a "BULLY"

Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Barstow, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Barstow, CA

I worked at Samsonite part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros are fellow employees, who have to suffer along side each other. Company may be a decent company, the luggage is great, and very durable, It seems they have a great warranty on most of the luggage

Cons

I have never been treated so poorly by a store manager in my entire 35 years of employment. The store manager is a tyrant. She makes her employees so afraid of her that the overall work experience is so stressful that most employees are so uptight. They are afraid to speak their mind in fear of retaliation.

Advice to Management

NONE !!!!!!!! Except you should not be in retail... ( store Manager) Upper management should take each employee, past and present and have a long discussion with them, without fear of losing their job, to see what truly goes on in this store. Talk with bus guides and bus drivers, to see how they are treated.

11. Decent place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Samsonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere, friendly people and managers, good benefits (if you're hired on permanently).

Cons

Pay could have been more competitive.

Advice to Management

If you're satisfied with a temporary employee, hire them within the year, because keeping people temp for too long is how you can lose some good people. Also, put a credit card process in place. A company as large as Samsonite should be able to process credit cards in a much more efficient way for our customers.

RSS Feed </> Embed