Samsonite Reviews

Tim Parker

1. VERY NICE MANAGEMENT, COWORKERS LIKE A FAMILY

Former Employee - Supervisor in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Samsonite full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the manager is really nice, coworkers get along and help each others. monthly bonus if you reach the sales goal.
    2 weeks vacation yearly and match health insurance benefits.

Cons

pay is not enough,. if you don't seek management position, the pay raise is barely nothing.
    work most weekends and holidays like all the other retail stories.

Advice to Management

make your hard working employees see their bright futures if you want to keep them stay. Samsonite is a good company to work with, they focus on their customers, always satisfied their customers, that's what I saw as a Samsonite employee.

2. SO-SO

I have been working at Samsonite full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount, Minimal daily store maintenance due to the type of product, bonus program is well worth it if you are in a high volume store

Cons

Benefits are ok except the PTO policy, 2 weeks a year, you can't take it before you earn it and a lot of black out periods. The holidays (7) they pay for are only paid if you work on it and then it's time and a half otherwise no pay, no personal days and no sick time. Upper management can be a micro manager and once you've done something wrong you might as well forget moving forwards, they never forget anything. The pay for hourly employees is well below the industry standards.

Advice to Management

Let people redeem themselves. Hire more corporate level people within departments. It's insane to me that only 1 person does HRF, 1 person does Payroll and 2 people are product allocators for over 120 stores.

Stable Job but not very good pay.

I have been working at Samsonite part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They work around your school schedule and will give you days off. There is a fairly steady stream of customers as well so you wont get bored.

Cons

The sales training is a bit of a gimmick though I do think if followed it might work well. No commission unless full time and even then its based on overall store performance.

Advice to Management

Make sure the store manager doesn't punish people by decreasing hours after they take time off. Especially if its something that can't be helped.

5. Great Company

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Samsonite full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Product learning is great and it is an easy job. Manager is inspirational and motivational. they have wonderful employees and HR is so friendly.

Cons

Their part timers want stay because if the hours, other than that great company

Advice to Management

Stop hogging the hours

Manager is a "BULLY"

Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Barstow, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Barstow, CA

I worked at Samsonite part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pros are fellow employees, who have to suffer along side each other. Company may be a decent company, the luggage is great, and very durable, It seems they have a great warranty on most of the luggage

Cons

I have never been treated so poorly by a store manager in my entire 35 years of employment. The store manager is a tyrant. She makes her employees so afraid of her that the overall work experience is so stressful that most employees are so uptight. They are afraid to speak their mind in fear of retaliation.

Advice to Management

NONE !!!!!!!! Except you should not be in retail... ( store Manager) Upper management should take each employee, past and present and have a long discussion with them, without fear of losing their job, to see what truly goes on in this store. Talk with bus guides and bus drivers, to see how they are treated.

7. Decent place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Samsonite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere, friendly people and managers, good benefits (if you're hired on permanently).

Cons

Pay could have been more competitive.

Advice to Management

If you're satisfied with a temporary employee, hire them within the year, because keeping people temp for too long is how you can lose some good people.
    Also, put a credit card process in place. A company as large as Samsonite should be able to process credit cards in a much more efficient way for our customers.

8. Great Job

I have been working at Samsonite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. Easy going management. The layout of the store made everything easy to find and learn. There wasn't too much product knowledge to learn.

Cons

Retail is never something that is easy. It was retail hours, so you had to work nights/weekends/holidays...etc...Worst part of job was shipment as some of the boxes were nested and extremely heavy. Other than that I can't remember anything that was really bad...

Advice to Management

Nothing. I loved Everything about the job!

9. Samsonite Inc. was a great place to work!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Santa Fe, NM
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Santa Fe, NM

I worked at Samsonite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company really does care about the employees.

Middle management does not try to micro manage each store.

The pay scale is quite appropriate for the level of work involved.

There is never work that has to be taken home.

Cons

There is nothing that I can say that is negative!

10. Great Company, great people

Current Employee - Manager in Mansfield, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Mansfield, MA

I have been working at Samsonite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work, Company is growing, there is good opportunity here. Culture is work hard, play hard. Good comp and benefits. US management team is supportive and low stress.

Cons

No significant cons. No place is perfect.

Advice to Management

Sometimes there is a silo mentality. Need to get all players to think about the global goals

11. Best company I have worked for!

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor Manager

I have been working at Samsonite part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for about a year, working in one of the smaller stores is quite nice and provides for a nice friendly environment. We have a variety of product made for different kinds of travel which helps meet different customers needs. The pay is great and is fun to find new ways to showcase different product to customers and amaze them with product knowledge.

Cons

not too many. I would say my biggest complain would be customers that come in trying to find a $50 suitcase like at Macy's or Kohls. Those customers are frustrating. Other than that, some of the smaller stores don't get that many cool luggage colors. Also, whenever the luggage on the online store is sold much cheaper than in the store. Customers get frustrated. Either sell online merchandise at the same price or don't sell that merchandise in the store.

Advice to Management

Keep the luggage surveys coming to management. I like that the company is actually seeking advice from the people who sell this luggage. We see what our clientele want and it would help to personalize stock more for different areas. Also, provide us with some other Black label products! even if is a small stock, it would be nice to have something other than Cosmolite (which we sell out of pretty fast already)