Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.7

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • The insurance benefits are great, the people you work with are great (usually), pay is good but not great (in 21 reviews)

• This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • expectation is very high and work-life balance is hard to find (in 28 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

180 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's been great!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As many have mentioned, pay, bonuses, benefits (health insurance, 401k, etc.) are all excellent. On site gym and cafeteria $$$ to spend to buy your lunch is good too. The community invovlement that the organization has is important to me, and I have enjoyed helping out where I can. They started a womens group this year too, where the women of Samsung can get together and network and talk which has been great.

Cons

Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas. People work long hours. But most everyone can take PTO when needed or wanted. I have concerns over management in my area....new manager does not know how to manage people. Was a good engineer, but bad manager.

Train your managers earlier - maybe before they become managers. Communicate better to those of us on the floor...we want to know what is going on.

Process technician

Current Employee - Process Technician  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, starting pay. Shift differentials for night and off shifts. Compressed work week. PTO is ample and available. OT options.

Cons

industry conditions are cyclical, currently resulting in little money to spread to personnel.
    Very little advancement even for high performers due to annual review structure. This is standard in the industry and it is customary to move between companies in order to obtain pay raises. No acknowledgement or reward for loyalty or performance.
    Intense task saturation in some areas of the process. Like being an Air Traffic Controller with the recognition of a fry cook.
    Consequence, rather than praise-driven environment. "Do a million things right, do one one wrong you're gone"

more 24 hour amenities for a 24 hour operation
    more personnel support
    provide more frequent opportunities to advance.

Reactive leadership, poor management.

Current Employee - Process Engineer II  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX

Pros

Samsung takes great care of the employees, benefit wise - both hard and soft. Health insurance is excellent, pay is decent, 401k is not awesome but above average, quarterly and annual bonuses (annual starts Jan 2015). Quarterly average 1 to 2 weeks pay. On site gym which is decent, and monthly allowance/$$ matching for cafeteria.
    Also the technology is pretty darn cool - I don't like semiconductors but really it is kinda cool dealing with nanometer and angstrom sizes. There are some really good & knowledgeable people working there - techs and engineers. I am an engineer and have been in 2 departments as both an equipment and process engineer.

Cons

Reactive style work. You will ALWAYS be putting out fires - and I mean ALWAYS. Everything is a crisis and needs to be completed yesterday, even though the information was just released. We are also the "troubled teenage daughter" to the parent FAB in Korea. We would be shut down if it were not for several customers demanding the chips are made in the USA. Virtually all improvement ideas will be vetted by Korea, and many will be turned down only to be introduced a year or two later branded as original Korean work. Seriously.
    After 3 years there, I cannot name a single engineer (outside of management) that has been there longer than 5 years. The attrition rate for engineers is around 40% for a given department every 1.5 years. New people come in, get worked hard, and then leave. Samsung doesn't care....hey they are Samsung, everyone wants to work for them, so there will 20 other people lined up to take the role. And the cycle continues....

Honestly,, I could go on for quite some time. Bottom line, if you like semiconductors work here for a year to get your foot in the semicon door, then QUICKLY go elsewhere. If you are not sure you are passionate about semicons, avoid this place. Don't work here just because you feel "oh I need a job" . You will be sorry.

Nothing that they care about.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

mediocre

Current Employee - Engineering Technician  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, not bad when wanting to get your feet wet in the semiconductor industry in Austin, TX

Cons

Some departments have some really bad, inexperienced people in leadership positions and it is a Korean company and you will be treated like a second class citizen if you are not korean.

Need to better learn how to be an effective manager or just get people that are qualified to be in those management positions.

Korea is not the problem

Former Employee - Semiconductor Professional  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Semiconductor Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

State of the art semiconductor production facility. Benefits are compatible with other manufacturers - starting pay is median range.

Cons

A lot of reviews suggest Korea is to blame for the in inefficiencies and restrictions - the truth is its the American born captains in charge of this ship in Austin that are the root of the issues. They have become a syndicate from their last decade or so in a strange relationship of covering for each other while also battling for position and power with each other. Blaming each others groups is not uncommon, in fact it happens publicly with no regard for the impact on morale. During my tenure I honestly felt - in mid level management only - there was ~10% that were effective leaders that would provide guidance, mentoring and support to better their employees. The other 90% + the top tier management are in position merely by their tenure and their ability to survive in a visible highly political atmosphere. Management / leadership seminars are available however no change or impact seems to occur. Department vs Department fighting is constant. On several occasions I witnessed professionals being dressed down by managers publicly. Is this an atmosphere you want to work in? I chose not to anymore. No matter how many free $5 lunches you throw at an employee, nothing will ever make up for workplace humiliation,embarrassment and insecurity. There are better companies out there that practice the culture of respect and development of their employees. Samsung Austin is a elementary school playground with all the social hierarchy and drama that goes along with it.

Cut off the head and the tail will fall. You have a problem in the top chairs in Austin.

If U see a positive review here - it maybe posted by HR @ SAS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Recognized brand name. If you get in a good work group, great. If you get a boss that understands work-life-balance it can be good also. You can learn how to survive in a business that does not take lessons learn from any of the business programs for improvements, methodologies, or really embracing what is written all over the walls; as being a place of honor to work - not.

Cons

Innovation and doing processes like the “big boys” is not a business concern. All are an extension of HQ in S. Korea. Largest user of water and electric in Austin!

Maybe clear the decks and bring in better blood for all management levels? Or last one out, shut off the lights? Let HQ write it off the books.

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer II  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

Pros

Lots of smart people to learn from, fast paced environment

Cons

Poor management, very corporate and political, controlled by headquarters, discourages innovative ideas

Cost Savings

Current Employee - Purchasing  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

People there are great to work with.

Cons

Cost savings taken to the extreme, Management is oblivious to issues within Purchasing Department.

Get rid of dead weight, analyse your employees job functions. One hand doesn't know what the others doing, Ever!!!!

Great Benefits.....

Former Employee - Engineer II  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The insurance benefits are great, the people you work with are great (usually), pay is good but not great.

Cons

Samsung is managed from a top down approach, and lower management is punished if they cannot implement what the top up envisions no matter how feasible it is. This also means there is little to no creativity/innovation granted to anyone not in management. Samsung HQ is in Korea and it very much feels like Samsung Austin is a little brother, they push their influence and don't take on any suggestions. This is a good place to start if you want to get into the Austin area, but otherwise it is not worth it.

You really need to start shifting the company culture otherwise you are never going to be able to compete with the likes of Google, TI, Cirrus Logic, DropBox, Facebook, TSMI, etc.... which are all at your backdoor looking for creative and qualified engineers. To be blunt "get over yourself".

ENG TECH

Current Employee - Eng Technician  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Eng Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Teamwork enviroment, GWP . . . . . . . . .

Cons

Management Teamwork enviroment, GWP . . . . . . . . .

Stick up for the entry-level people

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!