www.samsung.com

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014
2.7

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas (in 36 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

186 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Cutting edge, fast pace, great benefits

Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the front runners in the semiconductor industry! Fast pace allows us to compete in a tough global market. Benefits are out of this world! Engineering teams have a lot of great minds working for them.

Cons

Many decisions about our production mix are made overseas and they vary frequently. Difficult to maintain momentum in any direction when the priorities keep changing.

Salaries are a little low to compete with other technical industries within the Austin area.

Process technician

Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Benefits, starting pay. Shift differentials for night and off shifts. Compressed work week. PTO is ample and available. OT options.

Cons

industry conditions are cyclical, currently resulting in little money to spread to personnel.
    Very little advancement even for high performers due to annual review structure. This is standard in the industry and it is customary to move between companies in order to obtain pay raises. No acknowledgement or reward for loyalty or performance.
    Intense task saturation in some areas of the process. Like being an Air Traffic Controller with the recognition of a fry cook.
    Consequence, rather than praise-driven environment. "Do a million things right, do one one wrong you're gone"

more 24 hour amenities for a 24 hour operation
    more personnel support
    provide more frequent opportunities to advance.

It's been great!

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As many have mentioned, pay, bonuses, benefits (health insurance, 401k, etc.) are all excellent. On site gym and cafeteria $$$ to spend to buy your lunch is good too. The community invovlement that the organization has is important to me, and I have enjoyed helping out where I can. They started a womens group this year too, where the women of Samsung can get together and network and talk which has been great.

Cons

Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas. People work long hours. But most everyone can take PTO when needed or wanted. I have concerns over management in my area....new manager does not know how to manage people. Was a good engineer, but bad manager.

Train your managers earlier - maybe before they become managers. Communicate better to those of us on the floor...we want to know what is going on.

it's brutal

Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really I don't know. There's a cafeteria and gym, sure that's something. Then there's all these company-wide initiatives that never trickle down to the average employee. Most hardworking individuals never are allowed the time to partake in. PR really, you create so many events to do but people want to go home to their families, not come in on their one day off to clean up a park.

Cons

Lateral movements discouraged.
    Performance review forces bell curve and you may one day undeservingly be on the chopping block.
    Work never ends.
    No recognition for a job well done.
    No acknowledgement from senior management.
    There are groups that get away with much goofing off with very little responbility.
    Some departments are always left cleaning up someone else's mess.
    The job is only about one thing: firefighting; that is dropping whatever you're doing and doing the next thing immediately and working over time until it's done so it can happen again next week.
    You'll be paged all hours day or night.

Stop posting fake 4&5 star reviews, you are only making things worse. Sept 20, 2014 review by "CMP eng tech" is fake.

Samsung is a great company to work for . The only thing I was not satisfied with was the lay off from battling Apple

Former Employee - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I did not find any problem with talking with people because I was an Engineer Technician.

Cons

There are a great deal of Security.

Management should never let their company cause a conflict with a customer as big as Apple .

Please close down now!

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing...yes pay, benefits, subsidized lunch is nice but at the cost of being a normal human being is not worth even 10x the benefits.

Cons

Samsung is one of the worst companies in the world to work for. The only people left are complete idiots that wouldn't survive a day at a real company. The only reason they have 3 stars is Samsung HR actively posts false positive reviews here, it used to be more humorous when the Koreans did it in broken English..,

Keep up your little "circles of trust" as the whole thing will come crashing down and everyone who tried to do the right honest things you walked over to move up will not forget.

Reactive leadership, poor management.

Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX

Pros

Samsung takes great care of the employees, benefit wise - both hard and soft. Health insurance is excellent, pay is decent, 401k is not awesome but above average, quarterly and annual bonuses (annual starts Jan 2015). Quarterly average 1 to 2 weeks pay. On site gym which is decent, and monthly allowance/$$ matching for cafeteria.
    Also the technology is pretty darn cool - I don't like semiconductors but really it is kinda cool dealing with nanometer and angstrom sizes. There are some really good & knowledgeable people working there - techs and engineers. I am an engineer and have been in 2 departments as both an equipment and process engineer.

Cons

Reactive style work. You will ALWAYS be putting out fires - and I mean ALWAYS. Everything is a crisis and needs to be completed yesterday, even though the information was just released. We are also the "troubled teenage daughter" to the parent FAB in Korea. We would be shut down if it were not for several customers demanding the chips are made in the USA. Virtually all improvement ideas will be vetted by Korea, and many will be turned down only to be introduced a year or two later branded as original Korean work. Seriously.
    After 3 years there, I cannot name a single engineer (outside of management) that has been there longer than 5 years. The attrition rate for engineers is around 40% for a given department every 1.5 years. New people come in, get worked hard, and then leave. Samsung doesn't care....hey they are Samsung, everyone wants to work for them, so there will 20 other people lined up to take the role. And the cycle continues....

Honestly,, I could go on for quite some time. Bottom line, if you like semiconductors work here for a year to get your foot in the semicon door, then QUICKLY go elsewhere. If you are not sure you are passionate about semicons, avoid this place. Don't work here just because you feel "oh I need a job" . You will be sorry.

Nothing that they care about.

No leadership, no knowledge, no training, no future...

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

Pros

Backed by Korea, vast resources provide the opportunity to purchase and work on state of the art equipment. Compressed schedule is ideal, and benefits are par with any other semiconductor company (although lack stock options or employee stock purchase plan).

Cons

Leadership and innovation is nonexistent as turnover in both the engineering ranks as well as technicians is significant. Training of any kind is non-existent or vague at best. With exempt promotions awarded every 2yrs, most talent can only tolerate the confusion for a short period, and leave soon after their first "promotion." Most of the current Management positions are therefore held by the complacent few that have remained behind, who have been promoted by default or simply based on their seniority. Without the right personnel to actually manage programs AND people, failure and complacency will continue to be the norm.

Start to replace the area managers with industry experienced proven professionals. The idea of growing talent internally is necessary, but NOT when that encompasses the vast majority of the staff. Though changes are taking place, it is time to replace those area managers that continue to thwart the efforts of others because of a lack of vision and knowledge to manage people - as they will always be the biggest resource.

mediocre

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, not bad when wanting to get your feet wet in the semiconductor industry in Austin, TX

Cons

Some departments have some really bad, inexperienced people in leadership positions and it is a Korean company and you will be treated like a second class citizen if you are not korean.

Need to better learn how to be an effective manager or just get people that are qualified to be in those management positions.

Korea is not the problem

Former Employee - Semiconductor Professional in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Semiconductor Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

State of the art semiconductor production facility. Benefits are compatible with other manufacturers - starting pay is median range.

Cons

A lot of reviews suggest Korea is to blame for the in inefficiencies and restrictions - the truth is its the American born captains in charge of this ship in Austin that are the root of the issues. They have become a syndicate from their last decade or so in a strange relationship of covering for each other while also battling for position and power with each other. Blaming each others groups is not uncommon, in fact it happens publicly with no regard for the impact on morale. During my tenure I honestly felt - in mid level management only - there was ~10% that were effective leaders that would provide guidance, mentoring and support to better their employees. The other 90% + the top tier management are in position merely by their tenure and their ability to survive in a visible highly political atmosphere. Management / leadership seminars are available however no change or impact seems to occur. Department vs Department fighting is constant. On several occasions I witnessed professionals being dressed down by managers publicly. Is this an atmosphere you want to work in? I chose not to anymore. No matter how many free $5 lunches you throw at an employee, nothing will ever make up for workplace humiliation,embarrassment and insecurity. There are better companies out there that practice the culture of respect and development of their employees. Samsung Austin is a elementary school playground with all the social hierarchy and drama that goes along with it.

Cut off the head and the tail will fall. You have a problem in the top chairs in Austin.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Photos