Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.7

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas (in 37 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

190 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stay on the good side of management

Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fast paced, good money, hard work

Cons

If your on the bad side of your supervisor, they will find a reason to let you go

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

We are glad to hear that you enjoy the fast-pace, good money and hard work at SAS! We are working on and hope that you can develop more open communication and trust with your supervisor. We value ... More

Puppet Master Meets His End !

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good $. and that's why I cant leave, yet.
    Great Tools

Cons

Long Hours No Work Life Balance.
    Poor Culture

Last year You got rid of the Puppets this year the Puppet Master

Thank you for a great Present !

Great company to build a detail hands on experience

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provide an opportunity to learn real stuff with hardwork.
    Over time compensation is reasonable.
    Will be huge foundation for your engineering career.

Cons

Leadership change too frequently.
    Too much dependency on mother company.
    Work life balance is not guaranteed.

NA

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for your time and service at SAS. We are sad that you have taken your engineering career elsewhere. You are right to point out that this operation provides good hard work with real ... More

If you are Human, Run away.......

Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Clean, beautiful campus. Subsidized cafeteria. Gym. Austin.

Cons

Micromanaged by Korean Uber Gods. If you are US native your voice does'nt matter. Advice, if you are young out of college....do NOT be lured by these people.

Sever L10/11/12/13/14/15/16 S1. Let SAS succeed based on TRUE merit. Copy exact is unrealistic. US innovation is the future.

Falling Quickly

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great health benefits. Good quarterly bonuses. Great location to Austin.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from management. Quantity is always over quality no matter what they preach. Very small pay raises between promotions. Very few promotions. One promotion about every 4 - 6 years if you are lucky. Very unorganized & constant changes to maintenance procedures. Undefined rolls for team members which management fails to address. High turnover rate of team members both engineering & maintenance.

Fix all of the above cons or your ratings will continue to plummet.

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

We have had a challenging year, introducing new technology that will change the way people use their mobile devices. Your profile shows you as a current employee and we hope you stick it out with us ... More

Cutting edge, fast pace, great benefits

Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the front runners in the semiconductor industry! Fast pace allows us to compete in a tough global market. Benefits are out of this world! Engineering teams have a lot of great minds working for them.

Cons

Many decisions about our production mix are made overseas and they vary frequently. Difficult to maintain momentum in any direction when the priorities keep changing.

Salaries are a little low to compete with other technical industries within the Austin area.

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for your enthusiasm and dedication!

Process technician

Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Benefits, starting pay. Shift differentials for night and off shifts. Compressed work week. PTO is ample and available. OT options.

Cons

industry conditions are cyclical, currently resulting in little money to spread to personnel.
    Very little advancement even for high performers due to annual review structure. This is standard in the industry and it is customary to move between companies in order to obtain pay raises. No acknowledgement or reward for loyalty or performance.
    Intense task saturation in some areas of the process. Like being an Air Traffic Controller with the recognition of a fry cook.
    Consequence, rather than praise-driven environment. "Do a million things right, do one one wrong you're gone"

more 24 hour amenities for a 24 hour operation
    more personnel support
    provide more frequent opportunities to advance.

it's brutal

Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

Pros

Really I don't know. There's a cafeteria and gym, sure that's something. Then there's all these company-wide initiatives that never trickle down to the average employee. Most hardworking individuals never are allowed the time to partake in. PR really, you create so many events to do but people want to go home to their families, not come in on their one day off to clean up a park.

Cons

Lateral movements discouraged.
    Performance review forces bell curve and you may one day undeservingly be on the chopping block.
    Work never ends.
    No recognition for a job well done.
    No acknowledgement from senior management.
    There are groups that get away with much goofing off with very little responbility.
    Some departments are always left cleaning up someone else's mess.
    The job is only about one thing: firefighting; that is dropping whatever you're doing and doing the next thing immediately and working over time until it's done so it can happen again next week.
    You'll be paged all hours day or night.

Stop posting fake 4&5 star reviews, you are only making things worse. Sept 20, 2014 review by "CMP eng tech" is fake.

It's been great!

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

As many have mentioned, pay, bonuses, benefits (health insurance, 401k, etc.) are all excellent. On site gym and cafeteria $$$ to spend to buy your lunch is good too. The community invovlement that the organization has is important to me, and I have enjoyed helping out where I can. They started a womens group this year too, where the women of Samsung can get together and network and talk which has been great.

Cons

Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas. People work long hours. But most everyone can take PTO when needed or wanted. I have concerns over management in my area....new manager does not know how to manage people. Was a good engineer, but bad manager.

Train your managers earlier - maybe before they become managers. Communicate better to those of us on the floor...we want to know what is going on.

Samsung is a great company to work for . The only thing I was not satisfied with was the lay off from battling Apple

Former Employee - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I did not find any problem with talking with people because I was an Engineer Technician.

Cons

There are a great deal of Security.

Management should never let their company cause a conflict with a customer as big as Apple .

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Photos