Samsung Austin Semiconductor

www.samsung.com

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Samsung Austin Semiconductor – Austin – “Samsung Austin Semiconductor”

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • The insurance benefits are great, the people you work with are great (usually), pay is good but not great(in 21 reviews)

• This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • expectation is very high and work-life balance is hard to find(in 28 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled(in 15 reviews)

If you're an American, you're a secondary citizen

Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsJob pay is decent, benefits are decent. Were they get you is the work life balance. Your work is never enough and management is trained to tell you that. 60 hour work weeks are considered the average and 50 hours is the minimum.

ConsDon't dream of making changes. Copy exact, and if the Korean way is not working, it's your fault!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet innovation happen, even if it comes from Americans.

Learned a lot, but looking for more

ProsExcellent benefits. Great pay. Smart people.Learn a lot about yourself in this environment, what you're really made of, what you're willing to do and not do. Fantastic perks.

ConsInconsistent direction, inefficient assignments - head one way with all you have, only to be told it's now how the company's going anymore. If you are looking for a place you feel like you're making a difference, this isn't it. You cannot work from home. Period. And, being a part of such a high tech company that still makes no sense. There is sincere favortism here. If you play the game, you'll do fine. If you have an ethical chord, you'll see yourself isolated. And, eventually probably need to move on to find contentment. If an employee needs to stop and think about a request, it'd be nice if that was actually valued. Instead of hammering out requests like we are an assembly line. With people doing the exact same things in different areas, terribly inefficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like everything is so urgent. Take time to consider the priorities and decide what is really important for today. Quit sending us on deer hunts.

High stress, fast paced, multi-cultural

ProsA lot of responsibility even as a fresh-out-of-college graduate, helps you learn to work in a stressful and multi-cultural environment, relatively young peers, relatively high pay, excellent benefits, lots of PTO

ConsLimited upward career opportunity and options, job function can be very narrowly focused and specific, very high-stress environment and constant crises management, hierarchal, Top-down do-as-I-say management approach.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work !

Senior Engineering Technician (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI have been at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) for over 15 years and feel like that you can achieve whatever you are willing to work for. I have always been rewarded for extra effort and supported when I wanted to make a change. Still get bonus checks, family events, meal discounts while other companies are cutting back. SAS contributes to the Austin area and encourages their employees to do the same.

ConsThe twelve hour shifts seem a little long sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the communication. Come into the factory and meet and greet the employees.

Successful engineer, 7+ years with company

Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFantastic benefits. Health insurance is awesome (low out-of-pocket expenses, excellent coverage), cash bonuses and 401K matching are generous (100% vested matching, from day 1), lots of great on-site perks (gym, 2 cafeterias, Seatles Best Coffee Bar, rec rooms with ping pong tables, efc). Fast career growth if you're smart, capable, and self driven (see cons) - you will not be held back. I've been promoted 2 times in my first 5 years with the company and started leading my own engineering team after 6 years. As such, it's a great company for new engineering grads - the learning experiences and training opportunities will set you up well for the future. International travel to Korea has a great balance - it's frequent enough that almost all engineers go at least once, but not too frequent that it impacts your life. I've been twice in 7 years, 5 weeks each trip. What has ultimately kept me here for 7.5 years is the frequent growth opportunities (new projects, new challenges) and upward room for advancement.

ConsWorking at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) is not for everyone. It is a very demanding and fast paced work environment that can be intimidating to some individuals. Those that are self-driven and seek personal achievement are the ones that typically do the best. You will be given a substantial amount of responsibility and will be expected to succeed at a very high level. Those that do well see their careers accelerated at a very fast rate (you will never complain about being "held back"). Those that prefer a more casual pace will be overwhelmed, lost, and eventually burned-out. On the plus side, I don't feel SAS is a cut-throat work environment. Engineers help each other out without fearing corporate politics or back-stabbing. At the end of the day, this is a high-dollar manufacturing environment, and that combination can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like to see upper management give their engineers the best possible tools to be successful. Even though Samsung Electronics is a multi billion-dollar, enormous global business, they can still nickel-and-dime their workers in areas that sometimes don't make sense. Company smart phone? (nope) Laptops? (nope) Industry-standard data analysis software packages? (nope). Constraints like this make the fast pace work environment even more difficult to manage.

Culture Shake Up

Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAs most know Samsung is a Korean based corporation. It is very good at driving to meet objectives & goals. Never seen a company utilize & manipulate Excel based applications. They are well above most companies when it comes to capturing, analyzing & comprehending data for old & new technology.

ConsA big negative for them is the high turn over rate in a majority of departments. They believe in assigning a failing or bad review to at least one person per dept for each annual review. Management believes this constant internal competition to continually retain the "cream of the crop" employees. This is common in Asia but it does not translate well for Americans.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe high turn over rate for non-exempt & exempt employees hurts the overall performance & achievement capability. Management needs to do a better job of accurately reviewing whom works vs those whom don't. There are tenured SAS employees whom do not contribute equally while undermining others whom could be rock stars and elevate a depts performance.

Never work here

Engineer II (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood benefits, lots of PTO that you can never use.

ConsAwful management who never misses the opportunity to abuse their power to intimidate their employees. The directors and VPs are more like a gang. They are all horrible, but they don't fire each other and fire any good directors that sneak in. All of their decisions are 100% political and are never best for the company. They hire a lot of young engineers, lie to them during the interviews, and make them work horrible hours doing jobs that a monkey could do. The hourly employees (technicians and "specialists") are not allowed to work overtime, so if one takes off, engineers have to come in on nights and weekends to do the jobs of techs (which is even more brainless than "engineer" work. The director of HR basically makes all the decisions for some reason, and she pretty much views engineers as cattle. The funny part is, HR sent out an email to mid-level managers, telling them to lie on Glassdoor.com to get their rating up. Any recent positive reviews are directly from HR.

Even a good semiconductor manufacturing company would be awful to work for, because the industry is so low on profit margins that they have to abuse their employees. Samsung is even worse than most and will make you hate your life. Please do not work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit and put people with at least a tiny bit of intelligence in charge. You are running the company (and your employees' lives) into the ground.

Great work experience!

Mfg Specialist (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSamsung has cutting edge technology, great benefits and good people.

ConsTakes some time for information to get to the specialist level.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication from management to specialist level takes too long

SAS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat Benefits, Health plan, PTO

ConsLack of growth options and upward mobility

Great place to work with great benefits!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsOverall a great place to work. SAS as a whole does great things for the community along with great benefits and competitive pay with bonuses.

ConsNegative employees, if you are not happy in your job, leave.

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!