Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.7

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas (in 37 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Samsung is a great company to work for . The only thing I was not satisfied with was the lay off from battling Apple

Former Employee - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I did not find any problem with talking with people because I was an Engineer Technician.

Cons

There are a great deal of Security.

Management should never let their company cause a conflict with a customer as big as Apple .

Engineer

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Good company and good work environment challenging work I enjoyed working there

Cons

There were no cons to speak of, I only left because I moved to a new state.

Great place to work !

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) for over 15 years and feel like that you can achieve whatever you are willing to work for. I have always been rewarded for extra effort and supported when I wanted to make a change. Still get bonus checks, family events, meal discounts while other companies are cutting back. SAS contributes to the Austin area and encourages their employees to do the same.

Cons

The twelve hour shifts seem a little long sometimes.

Keep up the communication. Come into the factory and meet and greet the employees.

I bleed BLUE!!!

Current Employee - Administrator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrator in Austin, TX

Pros

I have been working at Samsung since it started up in Austin, TX and have really enjoyed the challenges of being the best semiconductor company in the world. There are so many benefits to working here such as the community relationships, family environment, and the medical benefits.

Cons

There are a few bad apples in the bunch but nothing to make me want to leave. Most of the incounters have been due to the individual having a bad day.

Communication is key.

Great Place to work, great place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Excellent benefits, probably the best around. Great Career Opportunities and possibilities to move around. Things have gotten trememdously better with balancing our personal lives and work. I go to work and leave with no complaints from anybody. Samsung does a great job of trying to avoid layoffs.

Cons

Because Samsung is a global company you have to learn to be patient when the economy goes bad.

Continue to create balance with work/life as SAS. Also just because SAS is a Korean company, SAS is still placed in the U.S. We have so many cultures that work here and we dont acknowledge or celebrate like we should. Bring back the college reimbursment program also.

SAS!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation! The on site gym. Use it daily. Cafeterias in both fabs and company gives you money to eat there, The team I work on is terrific. Smart people. Friendly, team orientated employees.

Cons

Things are changing to fast. Everything is a priority.

Management, get a grip on the changes. It appears no one locally is doing the planning, and HQ feels they can make changes and add things to us at a moments notice with no thought of how it will affect us.

Not only a job, but a workplace for an exciting career and more

Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

A workplace that provides numerous opportunities for personal growth and career development; we are a leader in the world’s high-technology market and utilize cutting edge technologies that process some of most advanced micro devices and computer chips in the world.

I have a master’s degree in engineering and have been in the semiconductor industry for more than four years and worked at other competitors of Samsung and have many friends that work is this industry, I found Samsung Austin Semiconductor to be my best choice for career for many reasons, such as: career development and opportunities for growth, teamwork and relationships with other colleagues, management support for creativity, risk-taking and experimenting new ideas for improvements in the process and savings in cost, great benefits and health insurance, full-size on-site gym with new equipment and more.

Cons

Some of the systems are not fast and efficient enough but the company is working on improving that

Keep doing what is best for the company and the employees and we will continue to be the world’s best!

Just shy of 1 year and having a blast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

• Lots of energy in this place.
    • This is a FAST working environment. The day goes by quickly. I am never bored.
    • There's an on-site gym, basketball half court, hike and bike trails
    • The out of pocket costs with our health insurance plans saves me $10K per year over past employer plans.
    • The company is investing in this site. It shows that the business in Austin has a long-term future. That stability is refreshing!
    • Accountability and responsibility can be given to anyone who shows a willingness to learn and grow

Cons

• Basic systems like Email, Calendar, Approvals, requests, etc., are very cranky and slow. Email especially is very frustrating. A big time-waster.
    • Internal communications were not very "polished" when I first arrived, but have improved significantly.

• The new leadership at SAS is working with HR to continuously improve the culture and environment.
    • Communication is really improving with the SAS intranet Communications site and improved Herald.
    • Our leaders seem to have a good exchange of ideas – not always agreeing, but always getting consensus.
    • Company is headed in the right direction with advanced technology development. Let’s drive this market! Keep encouraging innovation!

Manufacturing

Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work with little or no experience and hourly pay is decent. Benefits, including bonuses, were decent. Good amount of optional overtime. Good cafeteria, break areas, gym. Work 4 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 4 days off.

Cons

Bonuses subject to economic downturns in a highly volatile industry. Gossipy. Work 12 hr shifts. 2008 was a bad year to work there - lots of layoffs soon after

Process Technician

Former Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They expect performance from the employees, but they try and take care of them. They offer competitive pay and great benefits. Even during the layoffs in 2009, they tried to make it easier for them with the severance package. Other companies use layoffs as a first resort, Samsung only ever had one.

Cons

Some people say that the expectations are too high. I think it is dependent on what your expectations are.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Photos