Samsung Austin Semiconductor
www.samsung.com Austin, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014
Samsung Austin Semiconductor – Austin – “Samsung Austin Semiconductor”

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros:
  • "The insurance benefits are great, the people you work with are great (usually), pay is good but not great"
    in 21 reviews
  • "This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "expectation is very high and work-life balance is hard to find"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company and good work environment challenging work I enjoyed working there

ConsThere were no cons to speak of, I only left because I moved to a new state.

Great place to work !

Senior Engineering Technician (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI have been at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (SAS) for over 15 years and feel like that you can achieve whatever you are willing to work for. I have always been rewarded for extra effort and supported when I wanted to make a change. Still get bonus checks, family events, meal discounts while other companies are cutting back. SAS contributes to the Austin area and encourages their employees to do the same.

ConsThe twelve hour shifts seem a little long sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the communication. Come into the factory and meet and greet the employees.

I bleed BLUE!!!

Administrator (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI have been working at Samsung since it started up in Austin, TX and have really enjoyed the challenges of being the best semiconductor company in the world. There are so many benefits to working here such as the community relationships, family environment, and the medical benefits.

ConsThere are a few bad apples in the bunch but nothing to make me want to leave. Most of the incounters have been due to the individual having a bad day.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work, great place to gain experience.

Engineering Technician (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsExcellent benefits, probably the best around. Great Career Opportunities and possibilities to move around. Things have gotten trememdously better with balancing our personal lives and work. I go to work and leave with no complaints from anybody. Samsung does a great job of trying to avoid layoffs.

ConsBecause Samsung is a global company you have to learn to be patient when the economy goes bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to create balance with work/life as SAS. Also just because SAS is a Korean company, SAS is still placed in the U.S. We have so many cultures that work here and we dont acknowledge or celebrate like we should. Bring back the college reimbursment program also.

SAS!

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsBenefits and compensation! The on site gym. Use it daily. Cafeterias in both fabs and company gives you money to eat there, The team I work on is terrific. Smart people. Friendly, team orientated employees.

ConsThings are changing to fast. Everything is a priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, get a grip on the changes. It appears no one locally is doing the planning, and HQ feels they can make changes and add things to us at a moments notice with no thought of how it will affect us.

Not only a job, but a workplace for an exciting career and more

Process Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsA workplace that provides numerous opportunities for personal growth and career development; we are a leader in the world’s high-technology market and utilize cutting edge technologies that process some of most advanced micro devices and computer chips in the world.

I have a master’s degree in engineering and have been in the semiconductor industry for more than four years and worked at other competitors of Samsung and have many friends that work is this industry, I found Samsung Austin Semiconductor to be my best choice for career for many reasons, such as: career development and opportunities for growth, teamwork and relationships with other colleagues, management support for creativity, risk-taking and experimenting new ideas for improvements in the process and savings in cost, great benefits and health insurance, full-size on-site gym with new equipment and more.

ConsSome of the systems are not fast and efficient enough but the company is working on improving that

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what is best for the company and the employees and we will continue to be the world’s best!

Just shy of 1 year and having a blast

Austin, TX

Pros• Lots of energy in this place.
    • This is a FAST working environment. The day goes by quickly. I am never bored.
    • There's an on-site gym, basketball half court, hike and bike trails
    • The out of pocket costs with our health insurance plans saves me $10K per year over past employer plans.
    • The company is investing in this site. It shows that the business in Austin has a long-term future. That stability is refreshing!
    • Accountability and responsibility can be given to anyone who shows a willingness to learn and grow

Cons• Basic systems like Email, Calendar, Approvals, requests, etc., are very cranky and slow. Email especially is very frustrating. A big time-waster.
    • Internal communications were not very "polished" when I first arrived, but have improved significantly.

Advice to Senior Management• The new leadership at SAS is working with HR to continuously improve the culture and environment.
    • Communication is really improving with the SAS intranet Communications site and improved Herald.
    • Our leaders seem to have a good exchange of ideas – not always agreeing, but always getting consensus.
    • Company is headed in the right direction with advanced technology development. Let’s drive this market! Keep encouraging innovation!

Manufacturing

Manufacturing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGreat place to work with little or no experience and hourly pay is decent. Benefits, including bonuses, were decent. Good amount of optional overtime. Good cafeteria, break areas, gym. Work 4 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 4 days off.

ConsBonuses subject to economic downturns in a highly volatile industry. Gossipy. Work 12 hr shifts. 2008 was a bad year to work there - lots of layoffs soon after

Process Technician

Process Technician (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThey expect performance from the employees, but they try and take care of them. They offer competitive pay and great benefits. Even during the layoffs in 2009, they tried to make it easier for them with the severance package. Other companies use layoffs as a first resort, Samsung only ever had one.

ConsSome people say that the expectations are too high. I think it is dependent on what your expectations are.

Great People and Excellent Management

Spinner Tech II (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsVery satisfied with the product that we produce. Great bunch of people to work with. The company is always changing making it a stimulating environment to work in

ConsIt's a manufacturing environment. Have to wear a smock. I know what tools I will be PMing every week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have a better structure for setting up new members accounts. New members have to ask for access and don't even know who to ask. They should automatically set these things up in orientation.

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Samsung Austin Semiconductor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Samsung Austin Semiconductor CEO Youngwook ("YW") Park. All 194 reviews posted anonymously by Samsung Austin Semiconductor employees.