Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are very competitive (in 19 reviews)

• Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is non existent (in 37 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 22 reviews)

1. Samsung Equipment Eng

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Samsung Austin Semiconductor has a great group of hard working people who make going to work everyday worth while. Good to see a company that can outsource jobs to the USA.

Cons

If you are afraid of hard work or having to put in lots OT at times you may want to find another company to work for.

Advice to Management

Internal software leaves much to be desired, there is a alot of wasted time due to some of the half-bake systems that are pushed out.

Yes, you will work hard, but it's for a good, stable and growing company!

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

The benefits, the compensation, and the opportunities to learn new things are all excellent. People are great. Company still provides picnic, pay increases were larger this year than in past three. Know the company worked on improving Technician job titles, levels and compensation due to GWP survey. Appears to be have been received well. Honest about the work/life balance - when I interviewed, they told me how hard they work....I was not surprised. It's 24/ Mfg. Stable environment and growing company.

Cons

Some negative long time employees- maybe have been here to long, and have become jaded...maybe they should see what is on the other side ---it's not always greener.

Advice to Management

Keep making the changes your making.....it appears we are moving in the right direction. Happy to be here.

3. Great People and Excellent Management

Current Employee - Spinner Tech II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Spinner Tech II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Very satisfied with the product that we produce. Great bunch of people to work with. The company is always changing making it a stimulating environment to work in

Cons

It's a manufacturing environment. Have to wear a smock. I know what tools I will be PMing every week.

Advice to Management

Need to have a better structure for setting up new members accounts. New members have to ask for access and don't even know who to ask. They should automatically set these things up in orientation.

5. Process Technician

Former Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They expect performance from the employees, but they try and take care of them. They offer competitive pay and great benefits. Even during the layoffs in 2009, they tried to make it easier for them with the severance package. Other companies use layoffs as a first resort, Samsung only ever had one.

Cons

Some people say that the expectations are too high. I think it is dependent on what your expectations are.

6. Manufacturing

Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work with little or no experience and hourly pay is decent. Benefits, including bonuses, were decent. Good amount of optional overtime. Good cafeteria, break areas, gym. Work 4 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 4 days off.

Cons

Bonuses subject to economic downturns in a highly volatile industry. Gossipy. Work 12 hr shifts. 2008 was a bad year to work there - lots of layoffs soon after

7. Just shy of 1 year and having a blast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Lots of energy in this place. • This is a FAST working environment. The day goes by quickly. I am never bored. • There's an on-site gym, basketball half court, hike and bike trails • The out of pocket costs with our health insurance plans saves me $10K per year over past employer plans. • The company is investing in this site. It shows that the business in Austin has a long-term future. That stability is refreshing! • Accountability and responsibility can be given to anyone who shows a willingness to learn and grow

Cons

• Basic systems like Email, Calendar, Approvals, requests, etc., are very cranky and slow. Email especially is very frustrating. A big time-waster. • Internal communications were not very "polished" when I first arrived, but have improved significantly.

Advice to Management

• The new leadership at SAS is working with HR to continuously improve the culture and environment. • Communication is really improving with the SAS intranet Communications site and improved Herald. • Our leaders seem to have a good exchange of ideas – not always agreeing, but always getting consensus. • Company is headed in the right direction with advanced technology development. Let’s drive this market! Keep encouraging innovation!

8. Not only a job, but a workplace for an exciting career and more

Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

A workplace that provides numerous opportunities for personal growth and career development; we are a leader in the world’s high-technology market and utilize cutting edge technologies that process some of most advanced micro devices and computer chips in the world. I have a master’s degree in engineering and have been in the semiconductor industry for more than four years and worked at other competitors of Samsung and have many friends that work is this industry, I found Samsung Austin Semiconductor to be my best choice for career for many reasons, such as: career development and opportunities for growth, teamwork and relationships with other colleagues, management support for creativity, risk-taking and experimenting new ideas for improvements in the process and savings in cost, great benefits and health insurance, full-size on-site gym with new equipment and more.

Cons

Some of the systems are not fast and efficient enough but the company is working on improving that

Advice to Management

Keep doing what is best for the company and the employees and we will continue to be the world’s best!

9. SAS!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and compensation! The on site gym. Use it daily. Cafeterias in both fabs and company gives you money to eat there, The team I work on is terrific. Smart people. Friendly, team orientated employees.

Cons

Things are changing to fast. Everything is a priority.

Advice to Management

Management, get a grip on the changes. It appears no one locally is doing the planning, and HQ feels they can make changes and add things to us at a moments notice with no thought of how it will affect us.

10. Great Place to work, great place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, probably the best around. Great Career Opportunities and possibilities to move around. Things have gotten trememdously better with balancing our personal lives and work. I go to work and leave with no complaints from anybody. Samsung does a great job of trying to avoid layoffs.

Cons

Because Samsung is a global company you have to learn to be patient when the economy goes bad.

Advice to Management

Continue to create balance with work/life as SAS. Also just because SAS is a Korean company, SAS is still placed in the U.S. We have so many cultures that work here and we dont acknowledge or celebrate like we should. Bring back the college reimbursment program also.

11. I bleed BLUE!!!

Current Employee - Administrator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrator in Austin, TX

Pros

I have been working at Samsung since it started up in Austin, TX and have really enjoyed the challenges of being the best semiconductor company in the world. There are so many benefits to working here such as the community relationships, family environment, and the medical benefits.

Cons

There are a few bad apples in the bunch but nothing to make me want to leave. Most of the incounters have been due to the individual having a bad day.

Advice to Management

Communication is key.

RSS Feed </> Embed