Samsung Austin Semiconductor

www.samsung.com

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Samsung Austin Semiconductor – Austin – “Samsung Austin Semiconductor”

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • The insurance benefits are great, the people you work with are great (usually), pay is good but not great(in 21 reviews)

• This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • expectation is very high and work-life balance is hard to find(in 28 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled(in 15 reviews)

If U see a positive review here - it maybe posted by HR @ SAS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsRecognized brand name. If you get in a good work group, great. If you get a boss that understands work-life-balance it can be good also. You can learn how to survive in a business that does not take lessons learn from any of the business programs for improvements, methodologies, or really embracing what is written all over the walls; as being a place of honor to work - not.

ConsInnovation and doing processes like the “big boys” is not a business concern. All are an extension of HQ in S. Korea. Largest user of water and electric in Austin!

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe clear the decks and bring in better blood for all management levels? Or last one out, shut off the lights? Let HQ write it off the books.

Cost Savings

Purchasing (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPeople there are great to work with.

ConsCost savings taken to the extreme, Management is oblivious to issues within Purchasing Department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of dead weight, analyse your employees job functions. One hand doesn't know what the others doing, Ever!!!!

Worst in town

Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDecent pay...and that's about it

ConsNo work life balance, political, poor management, run like it's in Korea,

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Samsung ranks number 1 on my list of worst companies I've worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSalary is not too bad, especially if you are under experienced, lack technical and communication abilities. They pay a decent amount to hire inexperienced worker who can't do their jobs. If you have no professional experience and lack technical abilities or common sense and still want to get paid, this company is for you.
    Only thing that is good about the company is health insurance.

ConsCons are pretty much same as the Pros. If you are a retard, this company will pay you a decent amount of money for your abilities. If you have some what competency level, you will have to learn to deal with these morons.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before you speak.... And try to think how you can contribute to make the company better rather than trying to blame and step on others to make yourselves look better. Stop talking about people behind their backs. Deep inside, most of you know that you cannot find jobs elsewhere with the skills you have. Try making friends and not enemies.

Awful culture

ProsNot much travel required. Nice cafeteria.

ConsCulture is awful. Extremely unprofessional. My TR would drop F bombs and yell at everyone every day. Everything is about how you can blame others and everyone is afraid to get fired. Enourmous turn over.

A great company if you like to work long hours and can deal with sub-par management

Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management.

ConsOver half the engineers in my department are actively looking outside of the company for a new job, yes it is that bad here at the current moment. Relative to a whole host of opportunities currently available in the Austin area, I would take a pass at any offer from this company unless you really, and I mean really need a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou force some of your best engineers into TR and management positions when they are not even remotely capable of exhibiting the required leadership traits to be successful in their new roles. All that does is take away much needed engineering resources and kill morale for all the engineers now working under these people. We are not even close to being competitive with our Korean FABs or TSMC, so I really hope the executives are able pull a rabbit out of their hat this year....

Never work here

Engineer II (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood benefits, lots of PTO that you can never use.

ConsAwful management who never misses the opportunity to abuse their power to intimidate their employees. The directors and VPs are more like a gang. They are all horrible, but they don't fire each other and fire any good directors that sneak in. All of their decisions are 100% political and are never best for the company. They hire a lot of young engineers, lie to them during the interviews, and make them work horrible hours doing jobs that a monkey could do. The hourly employees (technicians and "specialists") are not allowed to work overtime, so if one takes off, engineers have to come in on nights and weekends to do the jobs of techs (which is even more brainless than "engineer" work. The director of HR basically makes all the decisions for some reason, and she pretty much views engineers as cattle. The funny part is, HR sent out an email to mid-level managers, telling them to lie on Glassdoor.com to get their rating up. Any recent positive reviews are directly from HR.

Even a good semiconductor manufacturing company would be awful to work for, because the industry is so low on profit margins that they have to abuse their employees. Samsung is even worse than most and will make you hate your life. Please do not work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit and put people with at least a tiny bit of intelligence in charge. You are running the company (and your employees' lives) into the ground.

Great corporation

Hard Worker (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAs a corporation, Samsung is one of the best.

ConsThe Austin management need revamping. The majority of managers are inherently self centered. Cliques dominate and interfere with daily functionality and team dynamics. Company values from corporate are quoted but actions and behavior are opposite. Departments fight needlessly. Communication is absolutely horrible. Management cannot be trusted - frequently say one thing and do the opposite.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Korea - remove the current management and start over with new line of experienced and professional managers who focus on creativity and values.

The revolving door of Semiconductor Fabs - Your best bet is to enter and exit on the same turn

Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPay is good for Austin.

Parking lot is big

Security is great - same equipment as TSA :). Just like getting on a plane each day you come to work. Next barcode tattoos will be required on your arm to enter.

ConsWork Hours Super Long, management starts meetings at 5:30 pm and expects you there. Work life is a catch phrase and senior management has been working on this for " years", still the same old story, there is NO Work Life Balance.

Crisis created just because management feels everyone needs to be pushed.

Korean dispatchers could care less about American work culture and most will tell you so.

Korean President’s leadership is a joke. Like an ostrich buries his head in his office (umm sand) and rarely comes out.

Some of the most challenged managers in the business run Samsung Austin.

Motto “Ethics, what is that”

Turnover is truly unbelievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the fab and fire yourselves.

Horrible place to work!

Supervisor (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBenefits and pay are good. So good they have put many of us in a bind so we cannot leave even though we desperately want to.

ConsFor the most part you have to be Korean or male to move up. That's been proven repeatedly and in several departments.

The turnover is terribly high. They can't keep the good people and many of the good people who stay are because they have to because it's impossible financialy to leave.

The sad part is that departments hold outside events and call them GWP and require individuals to go. Nobody should be made to attend a drinking party or a dinner at a restaurant they don't like or a hockey game they don't care to see, etc. People have families and lives outside of work and should not be forced to attend anything outside of work with people we don't care to share personal time with.

If you don't attend these functions it's held against us in our reviews. And management shows favoritism to the few who choose to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your team with respect. We make you who you are and that is to easily forgotten. Work is work and we should leave it there. You cannot require attendence of employees to functions outside of work and try to call it GWP. That is contradictory. Absolutely nothing about being forced to do something or face consequences makes this a Great WorkPlace!!

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!