Samsung Austin Semiconductor
www.samsung.com Austin, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
Samsung Austin Semiconductor – Austin – “Samsung Austin Semiconductor”

Samsung Austin Semiconductor President Dr. Woosung Han

Dr. Woosung Han

Pros:
  • "The benefits are good, the bonuses are good, the technology is cutting edge, and the tools are very new"
    in 19 reviews
  • "This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "expectation is very high and work-life balance is hard to find"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Samsung

Equipment Engineer II (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe health insurance, free money on your badge for food, vendor dinners and lunches, although management suck i still really love the people that i work with. I guess you get close to people when they are all put through the same hardships of matching S1

ConsPoor planning by the upper management, all management are puppets to the koreans in S1, they have very little pull to do what they know is the right thing to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor planning by the upper management, all management are puppets to the koreans in S1, they have very little pull to do what they know is the right thing to do.

Worst in town

Procurement Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent pay...and that's about it

ConsNo work life balance, political, poor management, run like it's in Korea,

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down

No work life balance

Process Engineer II (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

ProsBonuses were great. It is a younger work force that is fun to work with.

ConsVery long work hours. Required engineers to work shifts. Hired me at the top of the pay scale (wasn't told) and then not available for any pay increase for a minimum of 3 years and that was only possible if I got exceptional reviews and was promoted.

Paradise Lost

Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits and perks. Excellent work environment for those on compressed work week. Quick advancement opportunities for those the fit the mold and are willing to drink the soju. Excellence and change are company core values which means that challenge is constant so you are never bored.

ConsEighteen years into this experiment and still can't solve the Korean-local puzzle. Not an environment that is a match or welcoming for most. Life can be stressful for engineers in many departments. Leadership must develop a schizophrenic approach to treat their employees with an American style while learning to navigate Korean-style among executives. Disappointing that HR has recently compromised their ethics to ask trustees to spike the glassdoor reviews with advertisements rather than focusing their efforts on making the work environment healthier.

Advice to Senior ManagementBite the bullet and allow the workforce to achieve results in a manner that doesn't alienate people or cause undo stress. Allow SAS to be a global outpost or cut your losses and let your workers find long-term alternatives.

Samsung ranks number 1 on my list of worst companies I've worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

ProsSalary is not too bad, especially if you are under experienced, lack technical and communication abilities. They pay a decent amount to hire inexperienced worker who can't do their jobs. If you have no professional experience and lack technical abilities or common sense and still want to get paid, this company is for you.
Only thing that is good about the company is health insurance.

ConsCons are pretty much same as the Pros. If you are a retard, this company will pay you a decent amount of money for your abilities. If you have some what competency level, you will have to learn to deal with these morons.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before you speak.... And try to think how you can contribute to make the company better rather than trying to blame and step on others to make yourselves look better. Stop talking about people behind their backs. Deep inside, most of you know that you cannot find jobs elsewhere with the skills you have. Try making friends and not enemies.

Past high performer - grass IS greener on the other side

Engineer III (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked at SAS for close to 7 years - I survived the layoffs, held multiple shift schedules, and held multiple roles. All these factors are a necessity that I do not hold against the company.

The company is transparent in it's expectations - you will work a lot, and they take great measure to make sure this is known before you start. Pay is decent, and PTO is flexible and abundant. Healthcare is also great.

ConsI will not highlight the long working hours, the challenging management structure, or even the tense relationship with Korean counterparts - those are a given part of the job, and something you sign up for. Please read ahead for what I believe to be a definite and unique "con", though.

The problems that face employees at SAS are sometimes non-issues elsewhere due to the way the company conducts it's business. Homegrown applications and business processes that do not observe any kind of industry standard practice are incredibly inefficient. The company's backend (IT Infrastructure, support roles) is terrible and makes accomplishing even the most mundane tasks a challenge.

Furthermore, training in these homegrown practices and applications will NOT provide skills you need for other company's that observe industry standard practices and enterprise applications.

Aged desktops and security programs decrease employee mobility and flexibility. This is 2014, time for an overhaul! Get laptops, introduce newer security software, and start using online collaboration tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo things that will make work FUN. Laptops, online collaboration tools, and high quality software make it much more enjoyable to work. Provide mobility and a high-class product / interface that makes the engineer proud to work for the high technology company that Samsung is supposed to be. Stop using old technology! Adopt industry standards that will make engineers worry less about growing their skillset.

Awful culture

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

ProsNot much travel required. Nice cafeteria.

ConsCulture is awful. Extremely unprofessional. My TR would drop F bombs and yell at everyone every day. Everything is about how you can blame others and everyone is afraid to get fired. Enourmous turn over.

Best things in life aren't easy

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

Pros-Great Pay
-Opportunity to provide ideas that are incorporated
-Reliable bonus structure
-Friendly and intelligent co-workers
-Challenge on a daily basis (as the title says, the best things in life aren't easy) leads to a rewarding feeling of contribution

Cons-Changes are accepted slowly
-Job satisfaction can vary greatly depending on department

Advice to Senior Management-Follow through on your commitment to being a top-tier company in terms of compensation
-Don't be too stingy with headcount - it's better to have one too many in a group than one too few if you really care about Work-Life balance

Most Comprehensive & Honest Review of SAS

Experienced Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOverall compilation of what other reviewers are writing here are very accurate in regards to great health benefits and pay is average compared to other semiconductor standards. They actually started trying to increase and catch up most employees’ salaries after a consultant’s assessment that SAS is paying below similar industry salaries. Unfortunately, these are where the “Pros” stop for this company.

ConsAs most reviewers have pointed out, Samsung Austin is just one of many Fabs outside Korea; so therefore, it is imperative that standardization with other Fabs is a “must”. What this translates is frustration for most employees due to the lack of ability to innovate and have autonomy. Most managers are “home grown”, which means they started in the company with no prior experience and were promoted to management due to their skills. Unfortunately, most of them do not have the “People Skills” to be an effective leader, even though they may have the technical skills that got them to move up within the company. These types of managers that have no personalities and empathy are very hard to work for since communicating with them is almost synonymous to speaking with a robot.

Most positive reviews found on this site were fabricated and I can confirm that the HR Group solicited several employees to write positive reviews in order to attract new employees (I was one of them and refuse to sell out and keep my integrity). I understand in today’s economy that it is very difficult to find jobs and if you happen to be one of the “lucky” employees that get a job here, follow most of the reviewers’ suggestions and use this company as a stepping-stone to get to where you want to take your career. Believe me, money is temporary happiness and working here will always have you worried about your job because they instill the “fear” in the company and they want you to feel “lucky” that you are able to work here.

Unfortunately, one person (your direct management) in the company can make or break your future here. So if you are not very liked by your direct management, your future will be very limited even though you are a stellar employee and others notice it. In the flip side, if you are “buddies” with your direct management then he/she will take care of you and you can be assured that you will move up the rankings on a “timely” basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize your employees wisely and allow them to have the ability to “showcase” their skills and actually listen to what they can offer. Provide a clear career development strategy for your employees and make them feel like they have a future and a career at SAS. It is unfortunate that you have created a counter-strategy for people leaving by continuously hiring and replacing the people that leave. Unfortunately, this type of strategy will costs abundance of money and time loss for the company. SAS is in an all-time low in regards to morale and at least 40% of your dedicated and experienced staff are now actively looking and planning on leaving, which will be very disruptive to the success of this company.

Quality Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

ProsNew technology opportunities, good benefits

ConsTop down direction, no major independence at work

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees more autonomous

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Samsung Austin Semiconductor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Samsung Austin Semiconductor CEO Dr. Woosung Han. All 185 reviews posted anonymously by Samsung Austin Semiconductor employees.