Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated January 18, 2015
Updated January 18, 2015
2.6

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas (in 37 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't be fooled by the company's brand name.

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Austin, benefits, gym, co workers.

Cons

All the reviews pretty much summarize everything quite well. I'll emphasize the fact that most of what process engineers do can be done by a high school graduate with good people skills. No innovative or interesting projects given to us. Everything your given is driven By Korea and even when you finish it you come to realize that it won't be implemented because the benefit is minimal or the powers that be changed there mind. No clear direction what so ever by pls to supervisors to engineers about what our goals are. Career opurtunities are non existent. The worst is thing by far is that the systems in place that control if,when, and how we react to defect issues from de or ye are driven by idiotic spec references in Korea that make no sense and , due to matching are unchangeable. This has made most engineers too jaded to fight to do the right thing.
    Finally I'd like to say most people say ooooh just another whining person about semiconducting who probably sucks...my response is I've worked for three companies, have always been ranked in top 10% and REALY just want people to know the truth before coming here.
    What's kept me here this long are my amazing co workers who make this place bare able enough to stay...for now...;)

Stress or job title never ever justifies condescending tones or being a jerk. Pay checks and having a job does not we are here to just not give our opinions and do simple easy and dumb projects.

Good place to gain expirience

Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Individuals are given a lot of responsibility

Cons

Direction changes often, and prioritize are always changing. Makes work hectic.

How can a place have so much potential to be awesome, suck so bad?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, health insurance that is incredible, decent pay, great co-workers. Great people, unfortunately the ones that are great are not in charge, the ones that are put in charge are changed by it. Neat, gimmicky slogans to make you think that they care.

Cons

Horrible decision making, horrible focus on non value added tasks. They seem to actively select the worst possible people for leadership roles based on tenure. The focus on driving down cost of wafer moves affects almost everything you see and stuff you don't see. Middle management that says the right things, but their actions are the polar opposite of what is said. Total lack of manpower for the amount of work needed, but because we are struggling to make it work, and HQ is adamant about no more money being spent there will be few hired if at all to help. Supervisors that say they want your opinion on upcoming items then publicly disregards it as it is given. Fosters an atmosphere of just do your 13 hours and go home. No incentive to excel, beyond pay. Rating system for performance is horrible. Hope you like hearing about a mistake you made at least 3-4 times. Culture of engineers can do no wrong and technicians are neither to be seen or heard, unless you are a veteran senior tech or master tech. System changes that help the people that work the office and hurt the people in the fab. Engineers that avoid the fab like it contains ebola. Supervisors who are the happy shiny faces of management that could care less about your input if it does not agree with the mandates of management. They are there to convince you that you are wrong and that management is right; and that you are not a team player if you don't agree. It is as if someone watched office space and decided to make a company around it, or we are all secretly on a Korean reality show.

Management doesn't take our advice. The advice needed would take a monumental cultural shift and the release of a lot of long time people who are the problem, so in other words it will not happen.

Run fast run far...away

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company name is well known. Get your time in and move onward. Core values are shades of grey. Leadership has changed for the worse.

Cons

They, management, do not understand nor follow the words which they brag are the core values, which are = Respect, Integrity, Teamwork, Learning, Family and Quality. Training is almost non-existence unless it is inside of the Fab.

Decent

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Fast paced, good perks (subsidized lunches, gym, company events)
    Stay on the cutting edge of semiconductor mass production

Cons

Micro management by Korea. Fab engineering is constantly subjected to forced implementation of misguided efforts at line matching or q&r initiatives that are actively harmful to the companies overall goals.

Listen to your people on the sharp end. DE, Innovation, and Q&R are not only removed from the actual site operations, but are actively harmful to us obtaining our goals. It's next to impossible to spend time improving processes and implementing real defense lines when our engineering talent is forced to spend time making up change points to release BBTs for line issues or setting up the current flavor of the month in FDC.

Fast paced, cutting edge company, with great benefits.

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

SAS is fast paced, and never boring. Things are constantly changing and new challenges arising. Great benefits and PTO allowances/schedule.

Cons

Poor communication between SAS and Korea, goals and expectations change so frequently it is difficult to determine if any progress is being made.

Focus on clear goals between SAS departments and Korea, and agree on requirements to make effective change.

If you are Human, Run away.......

Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Clean, beautiful campus. Subsidized cafeteria. Gym. Austin.

Cons

Micromanaged by Korean Uber Gods. If you are US native your voice does'nt matter. Advice, if you are young out of college....do NOT be lured by these people.

Sever L10/11/12/13/14/15/16 S1. Let SAS succeed based on TRUE merit. Copy exact is unrealistic. US innovation is the future.

Puppet Master Meets His End !

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good $. and that's why I cant leave, yet.
    Great Tools

Cons

Long Hours No Work Life Balance.
    Poor Culture

Last year You got rid of the Puppets this year the Puppet Master

Thank you for a great Present !

Falling Quickly

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great health benefits. Good quarterly bonuses. Great location to Austin.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from management. Quantity is always over quality no matter what they preach. Very small pay raises between promotions. Very few promotions. One promotion about every 4 - 6 years if you are lucky. Very unorganized & constant changes to maintenance procedures. Undefined rolls for team members which management fails to address. High turnover rate of team members both engineering & maintenance.

Fix all of the above cons or your ratings will continue to plummet.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Response

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

We have had a challenging year, introducing new technology that will change the way people use their mobile devices. Your profile shows you as a current employee and we hope you stick it out with us ... More

Great company to build a detail hands on experience

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provide an opportunity to learn real stuff with hardwork.
    Over time compensation is reasonable.
    Will be huge foundation for your engineering career.

Cons

Leadership change too frequently.
    Too much dependency on mother company.
    Work life balance is not guaranteed.

NA

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Response

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for your time and service at SAS. We are sad that you have taken your engineering career elsewhere. You are right to point out that this operation provides good hard work with real ... More

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Photos