Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Reset

Stay far far away

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paychecks. On site gym. Cafeteria. 401k. Insurance. Generous PTO because burn out is high.

Cons

There's no chance of work / life balance. All the work you do, your boss will take credit for. They do not care about developing employees or careers. They just care if you are there to fill a spot. This is the least caring employer I have ever seen. The security and Koreans will make you feel like a prisoner in your own country. Do not be persuaded to work here by the recruiters. You will regret every minute of it.

Advice to Management

Increase employee retention.

Great for the money but leadership lacking direction

Former Employee - Process Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good steady money and the compressed work week is the best idea ever. Always something to learn.

Cons

I started on A shift when I got there, most people on that shift usually have been in the semiconductor industry for years and have been through a few different companies. So they can be disgruntled and very protective of there positions which can be rough for training a new guy. On top of that they have a confused and sometimes contradictory management and some well "special" engineers many that have little to no personal skills and don't understand that the techs work on more then their one tool or (set of Tools). All of the combined can lead to very poor training for new personal. Was not till I moved to Night shifts that I really started to learn my job well. Unfortunately that was little to late for me got let go only a few months after getting moved to nights. I would say to any new technicians request nights right off if you can, there still can be alot of confusion left over from the day guys but the training is so worth learned more in the two months I worked nights then I learned the entire 10 months prior when I was on days.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to slim down the amount of managers or supervisors of supervisors all that dose is create more problems then it helped. Also a more direct way for people to learn without having to solely depend on OJT from another employ would be a great help most documents I found really didn't help a new hire understand what they needed to know usually due to either being poorly written or very oriented to one part of a subject and lacking overview.

Company name looks good on your resume and that is about it !

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and monthly cafeteria plan is good. Quarterly bonuses are good addition to the paycheck

Cons

Management is constantly trying to enforce Korean culture on to American employees and they expect people to quietly follow. SAS engineers are considered subordinates by Koreans & have to constantly beg HQ members for support.There are no procedures enforcing support to SAS from HQ members. Everyone in management is just interested in saving their position and going up in the hierarchy. No one cares about the needs and wants of the employees. Work-life balance is zero but one should not complain about it when they are exempt employees. Senior / Principal Engineers and managers are expected to work over weekends for at least 4-5 hours on rotation and no extra compensation is provided to them for that. Whoever does this without complaining, gets good performance reviews and is promoted easily. No one looks at the quality of work provided during the working hours. What matters is how long you are physically present at the office. You'll do great if you are well liked by the management. There is no scope for innovation and you are expected to copy exact from Korea. Yearly SCI Survey is a joke and no actions are taken for the feedback given by the employees. All in all, just get the name of the company on your resume and find something else if you want to make a career. The experience here is not going to be of any use to you in your professional life and your personal life would be already terrible working here.

Advice to Management

You have hired some good , knowledgeable people. Respect them and help them to implement their ideas. Not everything that Korea does has to be done exactly same at SAS. Respect your employees personal life and they'll respect you and will perform better.

Pays the bills

Current Employee - Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job requires some mental effort but is not overwhelming. They continue to send me paychecks. To date, none have bounced.

Cons

Chaos reigns for the most part. Few business aspects are stable, and mgmt seems hell-bent on providing conflicting goals in order to remove culpability when something does go wrong.

Advice to Management

Clarify goals, provide more constant feedback, and learn how to rate employees based on their job.

Great for Entry Level

Former Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college. I was a great opportunity and I was able to network with many people; including local vendors and contractors. Good salary, lots of available vacation time, and a very casual environment.

Cons

Even though vacation time (PTO) is available, there is rarely time to take advantage of it. A normal work week is 55-60 hr and there is no compensation for exempt employees. There are many incompetent, power hunger, pretentious employees here who will make your days feel longer then what they already are.

Solid First Job

Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, exposure to many different process groups, lots of chances to give presentations and perfect your public speaking

Cons

Copy exact means you dont learn much, very few industry experts work there, the semiconductor industry is small so if you do ever want to change jobs your options are limited

Advice to Management

Provide your managers with training. You promote people to positions of management who were Engineer III's yesterday and expect them to suddenly understand how to manage people. They dont.

8. Good Research Center

Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Austin, TX

Pros

State of art technology. Good work life balance. Good for younger engineers to learn. Good bonus. Team building event.

Cons

Slow to move up. Title is lower compared to other company. Always doing same type of work.

Advice to Management

Set up rotation program. More training opportunities for junior engineers.

Engineer

Pros

Provides a good learning environment, especially if you are new to the semiconductor industry. Great people & Benefits

Cons

Amount of hours spent at work. Stressful environment.

Work/life balance? Sure, if 84 of 168 hr/wk is balanced.

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Driving in and waking up to the building and into the lobby things look great, but don't let it fool you. There is a tremendous amount of psychological pain being inflicted to many, many innocent people. As an engineer that has been in the industry over 25 years I can tell you it is not good, healthy, or sustainable. Now for the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... The Good: To be fair, the food credit is a good program, and you can eat well for not much money. And the money for a salaried engineer is also good, maybe 10% above average. However, with no stock options and very little paid overtime, the calculated “hourly rate” is not so hot. If you like working on the cutting edge, the most of the equipment and the processes are state of the art. (Next: the Bad and the Ugly…)

Cons

The Bad: The turnover is so high they are constantly hiring to fill the positions of people that reached their breaking point or mental limit and have left. It is such a revolving door for employees that in my 2+ years I saw four or five good engineers quit from my group alone. And not to work somewhere else, just to stop working there! What do you think when you see good engineers quitting a job with above average pay without another position? Two other engineers had to take medical leave for stress, anxiety, and depression. If you last 3 years you might be the most senior member in your group. College grads will fit best here as they will not know what to expect or how normal companies treat their employees. But even they will reach their limit and burn out. Engineers experience from other companies will find the experience more of a mental torture test since any and all of your prior experience is treated as worthless information that you should erase from memory. You are expected help and support the struggles of re-inventing the wheel over and over again. And if your expectation was 40 hour weeks, think again. Work/life balance is this; 84 hours is half of the 168 hour work week so come in earlier and stay later to get your job done! Don’t forget you have weekend coverage this weekend either… Don’t worry, if you are young and strong, the older guys will be gone one way or another soon enough and then you can move up. The Ugly: The management psychology is simple; micros-manage everybody all the time and expect a robot-like response from everyone. If you like digging the same hole in the ground and then filling it in everyday you will fit in well. But make sure you do it right; since there are almost as many managers as engineers, and you might have three or four of them checking the hole you dug very carefully and to different specs or criteria. Innovation is not allowed at this facility; no thinking inside or outside the box. Just follow the script/SOP and don’t ask questions because there are dumb ones and you will be ostracized if you dare ask. But then again, who would you ask anyway? There is very little true formal training or mentoring. The expectation is you can learn everything by watching a few online PowerPoint presentations that are so inaccurate and outdated you would be better off just guessing “C” and writing down the answers they want when you retake the your training “quiz” a few minutes later. Management forces you to have “accountability” by giving you projects and metrics that are clearly unattainable since you are not allowed to really make any major or even minor changes. You are also expected to coerce others to support your projects even though they do not report to you and have their own projects. This has the effect of pitting co-workers against each other and stops any type of true teamwork. The easy answer is simple; do it yourself as long as you do not have any family or friends and you want to see and work 60, 70, or 80 hours a week on a “salary”.

Advice to Management

Read some books on successful companies and completely re-organize by reducing the managers and listening to employees and suggestions for improvements. Let engineers be engineers; that is why they went to school for that degree. An inverted-pyramid, dictator management system constantly cracking the whip is not sustainable and effective for long periods of time. Initially it might seem good but it cannot last and when it ends it ends very badly.

I waited a year to make this so my feelings weren't fresh.

Former Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits It pays, if you are in dire need for a job.

Cons

As a tech, you are considered the lowest of the low. The serfs of the organization. The smiles at Samsung are fake. No one is happy here, don't let them fool you. The #1 used comment in this place was "This really is a good place to work". If you need to constantly reassure yourself and those around you that you have a good job, then you probably do not like your job. No one is safe here....not even management. The turn-overs are bad at all levels.

Advice to Management

Quit crucifying employees in hopes to prevent the next mistake. The dog who is beaten will never be as loyal as the dog who is rewarded.

RSS Feed </> Embed