Samsung Austin Semiconductor

www.samsung.com

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Samsung Austin Semiconductor – Austin – “Samsung Austin Semiconductor”

Samsung Austin Semiconductor – Austin – “Samsung Austin Semiconductor”

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • The insurance benefits are great, the people you work with are great (usually), pay is good but not great (in 21 reviews)

• This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • expectation is very high and work-life balance is hard to find (in 28 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst in town

Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDecent pay...and that's about it

ConsNo work life balance, political, poor management, run like it's in Korea,

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down

Review from a white-collar worker

Anonymous White Collar Worker (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros* Benefits (especially health care) are good
    * Working for Samsung sounds cool, because everyone knows the phones.
    * Lots of employee social activities to promote relationships between employees
    * Very strong safety record; however, accidents still happen (one guy recently burned 10% of his body with acid)

Cons* I worked there for five years. The complaints in other reviews are true
    * Don't be deceived by the high profits in Samsung's mobile handset division. This is Samsung Semiconductor, where profits are low (unlike the mobile division of Samsung).
    * Some managers are routinely verbally abusive to employees. Samsung is an Asian company, so they turn a blind eye to tenured managers who scream and are openly hostile to their direct reports.
    * Micromanagement and empire building are everywhere.
    * If you have a good idea, that is not your idea, it came from your manager. If your manager pours water on the floor, it's your fault that the carpet is wet.
    * New ideas are not welcome; Korea dictates the design for every component of the process. People deny this to new recruits, but you quickly find out that your ideas are meaningless until they are spoken in Korean. This is not an equal opportunity workplace.
    * I went through other reviews and noticed that Samsung HR employees are posting nothing-but-positive reviews. This speaks for itself.

Advice to Senior Management* Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. You need to fire tenured employees who abuse their reports; that means firing people who have been there many years.
    * You can't come to America and use Asian management techniques. This is the premier employer in Korea, so the dysfunction is tolerated. In America, you're just another bad company. Good people will continue leaving until you remove the cancer.

Internship at Samsung

ProsGreat chance for interns to understand the semiconductor world

ConsSeemed like a new program, so a bit unorganized

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Maintain, not Innovate

ProsGreat people to work with, the environment is a lot of fun. There are travel opportunities to go to South Korea, I was able to site see during my visit.

ConsInnovation is clearly not a top priority. We are an extension of the parent company and are extremely limited in any ideas that we present. This is how the majority of positions are with the exception of Equipment related positions where it is difficult to standardize completely.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the lose weight. There are too many employees just there for a free ride. Stop giving the same advice each quarter... Following SOPs, improving quality, decreasing defects are the only topics covered...

A great company if you like to work long hours and can deal with sub-par management

Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management.

ConsOver half the engineers in my department are actively looking outside of the company for a new job, yes it is that bad here at the current moment. Relative to a whole host of opportunities currently available in the Austin area, I would take a pass at any offer from this company unless you really, and I mean really need a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou force some of your best engineers into TR and management positions when they are not even remotely capable of exhibiting the required leadership traits to be successful in their new roles. All that does is take away much needed engineering resources and kill morale for all the engineers now working under these people. We are not even close to being competitive with our Korean FABs or TSMC, so I really hope the executives are able pull a rabbit out of their hat this year....

It's a good job.

Prosopportunity to move around within the company depending on what department you're in
    frequent instances of being able to stand out and get recognition/awards
    great benefits
    great pay

ConsYour experience will vary greatly depending on department and team.
    Some positions will require unacceptable hours
    There are some systems that should be vastly improved

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there's a department or team or manager or supervisor that has high turnover, it's probably for a reason.

Satisfied with the position, wish for a more transparent corporate culture and improved communication within the ranks.

ProsStrong leadership, great opportunities, excellent location.

ConsLack of trust from senior management. Continuous oversight and paranoia is ingrained within the culture. Long work hours are expected as is weekend coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people.

Started out pretty fun and good, has done nothing but spiral down after the loss of our one big customer.

Engineering Technician II (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood pay and benefits. Good team mates. Location. Depends on the group you work for, some groups are better than others. Long weekends after long shifts.

ConsHorrible management. Cost savings taken to the extreme. Focus on items that are not value added, but someone elses priority who has no idea what your workload is like. Tool to tech ratio is untenable, you will never get ahead of the workload. Korean rules and computer systems are horrible. Every time you figure out the 'latest' system from HQ they change it. Upper management and HQ seem to go out of their way to make your job as a technician harder to do. Items that HQ learns are not shared with this site.

There have been internal moves to take technicians off the floor and no way to show why there are less working because overall head count is the same. Very little time and effort put into training you, you are expected to learn on the go and not make mistakes. When you bring up the lack of training to management all you are told is that is how it has always been and that you have to figure out the equipment and systems on your own. Operating procedures are written by the technicians on the floor and are hit or miss.

Most engineers seem to know very little about how the equipment works or what their changes do to it and do not care if they are increasing your workload because of their mistakes. Changes and new things are done right before they leave for the weekend causing support issues. Communication issues abound, technicians and engineers have been separated even more since the last reorganization that was supposed to improve things at SaS and all it did was add two more layers of management to the technicians.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't listen; so there is no point in offering advice.

Decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat benefits, some great people. The cafeteria food is pretty good and the support staff is helpful. The culture used to be pretty stifling but is slowly improving.

ConsUnequitable compensation policy, not much in the way of career development, very out of the way location.

Learn to balance punishment with incentive

Engineering Technician II (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-Has worked well with reserve obligations and deployments, was well taken care of during 9 month activation to Afghanistan. Good pay and benefits.

Cons-Management does more talking than doing, promotions are are very rare. Management style is confrontational, seems to only understand punishment with no use of incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on what you say you are going to do.

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!