Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

Updated April 13, 2015
260 reviews filtered by

Appeals to a certain personality type

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Salary is competitive, and the benefits are outstanding
    We stay on the cutting edge of technology
    Dynamic work envornment- it's impossible to fall into a rut in the engineering groups
    Austin location

Cons

Priorities can shift rapidly. If you like to know what you will be working next week, you'll have a hard time with SAS culture/
    Lack of accountability to other groups- upper management loves their metrics, most of which are metrics of fab engineering's performance. This gives groups that don't actually contribute anything to the production process a dispropotionate voice.

Advice to Management

Listen to the groups that actually make things happen in the Fab, not the guy reporting on the guy reporting on the guy reporting.

2. Samsung is a great company to work for . The only thing I was not satisfied with was the lay off from battling Apple

Former Contractor - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - CMP Equipment Engineering Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I did not find any problem with talking with people because I was an Engineer Technician.

Cons

There are a great deal of Security.

Advice to Management

Management should never let their company cause a conflict with a customer as big as Apple .

It's been great!

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As many have mentioned, pay, bonuses, benefits (health insurance, 401k, etc.) are all excellent. On site gym and cafeteria $$$ to spend to buy your lunch is good too. The community invovlement that the organization has is important to me, and I have enjoyed helping out where I can. They started a womens group this year too, where the women of Samsung can get together and network and talk which has been great.

Cons

Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas. People work long hours. But most everyone can take PTO when needed or wanted. I have concerns over management in my area....new manager does not know how to manage people. Was a good engineer, but bad manager.

Advice to Management

Train your managers earlier - maybe before they become managers. Communicate better to those of us on the floor...we want to know what is going on.

Please close down now!

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing...yes pay, benefits, subsidized lunch is nice but at the cost of being a normal human being is not worth even 10x the benefits.

Cons

Samsung is one of the worst companies in the world to work for. The only people left are complete idiots that wouldn't survive a day at a real company. The only reason they have 3 stars is Samsung HR actively posts false positive reviews here, it used to be more humorous when the Koreans did it in broken English..,

Advice to Management

Keep up your little "circles of trust" as the whole thing will come crashing down and everyone who tried to do the right honest things you walked over to move up will not forget.

Reactive leadership, poor management.

Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Samsung takes great care of the employees, benefit wise - both hard and soft. Health insurance is excellent, pay is decent, 401k is not awesome but above average, quarterly and annual bonuses (annual starts Jan 2015). Quarterly average 1 to 2 weeks pay. On site gym which is decent, and monthly allowance/$$ matching for cafeteria.
    Also the technology is pretty darn cool - I don't like semiconductors but really it is kinda cool dealing with nanometer and angstrom sizes. There are some really good & knowledgeable people working there - techs and engineers. I am an engineer and have been in 2 departments as both an equipment and process engineer.

Cons

Reactive style work. You will ALWAYS be putting out fires - and I mean ALWAYS. Everything is a crisis and needs to be completed yesterday, even though the information was just released. We are also the "troubled teenage daughter" to the parent FAB in Korea. We would be shut down if it were not for several customers demanding the chips are made in the USA. Virtually all improvement ideas will be vetted by Korea, and many will be turned down only to be introduced a year or two later branded as original Korean work. Seriously.
    After 3 years there, I cannot name a single engineer (outside of management) that has been there longer than 5 years. The attrition rate for engineers is around 40% for a given department every 1.5 years. New people come in, get worked hard, and then leave. Samsung doesn't care....hey they are Samsung, everyone wants to work for them, so there will 20 other people lined up to take the role. And the cycle continues....

Honestly,, I could go on for quite some time. Bottom line, if you like semiconductors work here for a year to get your foot in the semicon door, then QUICKLY go elsewhere. If you are not sure you are passionate about semicons, avoid this place. Don't work here just because you feel "oh I need a job" . You will be sorry.

Advice to Management

Nothing that they care about.

No leadership, no knowledge, no training, no future...

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX

Pros

Backed by Korea, vast resources provide the opportunity to purchase and work on state of the art equipment. Compressed schedule is ideal, and benefits are par with any other semiconductor company (although lack stock options or employee stock purchase plan).

Cons

Leadership and innovation is nonexistent as turnover in both the engineering ranks as well as technicians is significant. Training of any kind is non-existent or vague at best. With exempt promotions awarded every 2yrs, most talent can only tolerate the confusion for a short period, and leave soon after their first "promotion." Most of the current Management positions are therefore held by the complacent few that have remained behind, who have been promoted by default or simply based on their seniority. Without the right personnel to actually manage programs AND people, failure and complacency will continue to be the norm.

Advice to Management

Start to replace the area managers with industry experienced proven professionals. The idea of growing talent internally is necessary, but NOT when that encompasses the vast majority of the staff. Though changes are taking place, it is time to replace those area managers that continue to thwart the efforts of others because of a lack of vision and knowledge to manage people - as they will always be the biggest resource.

Supervisor review

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

You get about 10 simple multiple choice questions.

Cons

They're general questions. For example, is your supervisor supportive to your work? No space to put specific comments in. But you get very specific annual evaluation that includes lots of negative things. Sometimes not even your own. Because they seem to try to average out employee evaluation. Those who are lazy and don't do much work will most likely get similar score as yours. It's better not to be eager to take work because if you make a small mistake, it'll negatively impact your evaluation and you'll get similar score anyway as those who didn't do much all year.

Advice to Management

Create specific comment box in Supervisor evaluation

Over

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

You get to meet some other people that are like you, hard working, dedicated, and enjoyable to work with. These are the people that get you through the days, weeks, months, years.

Cons

Nobody wants the person above them’s job. That is sad and says it all. You go to work and hope to get through another day, counting the days that don’t royally suck, cause those are the best days.
    I watched as they fired some of the best management they had (which was not a lot) and watched other talent walk away. What upper management and HR does doesn’t make a lot of sense. They hope throwing one after another collaborative team at their problems will solve them, everyone’s team is the most important and of the highest priority. The annual meetings setting the direction of the company are pointless as they don’t provide any tools to the employees to accomplish these new goals and objectives. They should end those meetings with “Good luck, you’re gonna need it.”

In the end, when all is said and done, and you finally leave this company, you will ask yourself what you have done and if it was all worth it. And the answer will be no.

Advice to Management

Good luck, you’re gonna need it

mediocre

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, not bad when wanting to get your feet wet in the semiconductor industry in Austin, TX

Cons

Some departments have some really bad, inexperienced people in leadership positions and it is a Korean company and you will be treated like a second class citizen if you are not korean.

Advice to Management

Need to better learn how to be an effective manager or just get people that are qualified to be in those management positions.

Seems like a good company, too big to be agile

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on where you work, it can be extremely satifying. There is oppotunity to make a contribution, and have your voice mean something. The local management is under the direction of Samsung in Korea, so it can feel a lot like the Framers must have felt with "Taxation without representation."

Even with that, it appears as though Korea listens to some of the leaders concerns, but drives profits ahead of anything else.

Cons

Lots of opportunities to move within the company, and experience new things. Work/life balance is reasonable, and the teamwork is great. The intervewing process can feel a little strange, given that each hour can have 3 or 4 people in a panel interview.

Advice to Management

When experiencing lapses in production, it is obvious that changes must be made. If the production is low and the leaders you have assigned tell you they are short staffed, consider bringing more people on. If the issue is quality of the product, consider revamping the quality department, not the whole company.

Samsung Austin Semiconductor Photos