Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Updated January 18, 2015
Updated January 18, 2015
2.6

Youngwook ("YW") Park

Pros
  • This company provides opportunities to learn and grow and it has great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

• Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas (in 37 reviews)

• Groups can become short staffed which means you will be working long hours until positions are filled (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Best things in life aren't easy

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Opportunity to provide ideas that are incorporated
    -Reliable bonus structure
    -Friendly and intelligent co-workers
    -Challenge on a daily basis (as the title says, the best things in life aren't easy) leads to a rewarding feeling of contribution

Cons

-Changes are accepted slowly
    -Job satisfaction can vary greatly depending on department

-Follow through on your commitment to being a top-tier company in terms of compensation
    -Don't be too stingy with headcount - it's better to have one too many in a group than one too few if you really care about Work-Life balance

Your mileage will vary

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Awesome medical/monetary benefits, growing diversity of career programs, stable company if you work hard enough

Cons

monotony of industry (depending on what you contribute)

Ensure that employees are corralled into the career-oriented jobs they need and/or want. If they get bored or frustrated, offer options and listen to them.

Worst in town

Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay...and that's about it

Cons

No work life balance, political, poor management, run like it's in Korea,

Shut down

Awful culture

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Not much travel required. Nice cafeteria.

Cons

Culture is awful. Extremely unprofessional. My TR would drop F bombs and yell at everyone every day. Everything is about how you can blame others and everyone is afraid to get fired. Enourmous turn over.

Review from a white-collar worker

Former Employee - Anonymous White Collar Worker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous White Collar Worker in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Benefits (especially health care) are good
    * Working for Samsung sounds cool, because everyone knows the phones.
    * Lots of employee social activities to promote relationships between employees
    * Very strong safety record; however, accidents still happen (one guy recently burned 10% of his body with acid)

Cons

* I worked there for five years. The complaints in other reviews are true
    * Don't be deceived by the high profits in Samsung's mobile handset division. This is Samsung Semiconductor, where profits are low (unlike the mobile division of Samsung).
    * Some managers are routinely verbally abusive to employees. Samsung is an Asian company, so they turn a blind eye to tenured managers who scream and are openly hostile to their direct reports.
    * Micromanagement and empire building are everywhere.
    * If you have a good idea, that is not your idea, it came from your manager. If your manager pours water on the floor, it's your fault that the carpet is wet.
    * New ideas are not welcome; Korea dictates the design for every component of the process. People deny this to new recruits, but you quickly find out that your ideas are meaningless until they are spoken in Korean. This is not an equal opportunity workplace.
    * I went through other reviews and noticed that Samsung HR employees are posting nothing-but-positive reviews. This speaks for itself.

* Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. You need to fire tenured employees who abuse their reports; that means firing people who have been there many years.
    * You can't come to America and use Asian management techniques. This is the premier employer in Korea, so the dysfunction is tolerated. In America, you're just another bad company. Good people will continue leaving until you remove the cancer.

Maintain, not Innovate

Pros

Great people to work with, the environment is a lot of fun. There are travel opportunities to go to South Korea, I was able to site see during my visit.

Cons

Innovation is clearly not a top priority. We are an extension of the parent company and are extremely limited in any ideas that we present. This is how the majority of positions are with the exception of Equipment related positions where it is difficult to standardize completely.

Cut the lose weight. There are too many employees just there for a free ride. Stop giving the same advice each quarter... Following SOPs, improving quality, decreasing defects are the only topics covered...

Internship at Samsung

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Great chance for interns to understand the semiconductor world

Cons

Seemed like a new program, so a bit unorganized

A great company if you like to work long hours and can deal with sub-par management

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Good Benefits and it takes a lot of mistakes to get terminated if you are well-liked by management.

Cons

Over half the engineers in my department are actively looking outside of the company for a new job, yes it is that bad here at the current moment. Relative to a whole host of opportunities currently available in the Austin area, I would take a pass at any offer from this company unless you really, and I mean really need a job.

You force some of your best engineers into TR and management positions when they are not even remotely capable of exhibiting the required leadership traits to be successful in their new roles. All that does is take away much needed engineering resources and kill morale for all the engineers now working under these people. We are not even close to being competitive with our Korean FABs or TSMC, so I really hope the executives are able pull a rabbit out of their hat this year....

It's a good job.

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

opportunity to move around within the company depending on what department you're in
    frequent instances of being able to stand out and get recognition/awards
    great benefits
    great pay

Cons

Your experience will vary greatly depending on department and team.
    Some positions will require unacceptable hours
    There are some systems that should be vastly improved

If there's a department or team or manager or supervisor that has high turnover, it's probably for a reason.

Satisfied with the position, wish for a more transparent corporate culture and improved communication within the ranks.

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Strong leadership, great opportunities, excellent location.

Cons

Lack of trust from senior management. Continuous oversight and paranoia is ingrained within the culture. Long work hours are expected as is weekend coverage.

Trust your people.