Samsung Austin Semiconductor Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

If you are Human, Run away.......

Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Clean, beautiful campus. Subsidized cafeteria. Gym. Austin.

Cons

Micromanaged by Korean Uber Gods. If you are US native your voice does'nt matter. Advice, if you are young out of college....do NOT be lured by these people.

Advice to Management

Sever L10/11/12/13/14/15/16 S1. Let SAS succeed based on TRUE merit. Copy exact is unrealistic. US innovation is the future.

Falling Quickly

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great health benefits. Good quarterly bonuses. Great location to Austin.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from management. Quantity is always over quality no matter what they preach. Very small pay raises between promotions. Very few promotions. One promotion about every 4 - 6 years if you are lucky. Very unorganized & constant changes to maintenance procedures. Undefined rolls for team members which management fails to address. High turnover rate of team members both engineering & maintenance.

Advice to Management

Fix all of the above cons or your ratings will continue to plummet.

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

We have had a challenging year, introducing new technology that will change the way people use their mobile devices. Your profile shows you as a current employee and we hope you stick it out with us ... More

3. Great company to build a detail hands on experience

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provide an opportunity to learn real stuff with hardwork.
    Over time compensation is reasonable.
    Will be huge foundation for your engineering career.

Cons

Leadership change too frequently.
    Too much dependency on mother company.
    Work life balance is not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

NA

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for your time and service at SAS. We are sad that you have taken your engineering career elsewhere. You are right to point out that this operation provides good hard work with real ... More

Stay on the good side of management

Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Training Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fast paced, good money, hard work

Cons

If your on the bad side of your supervisor, they will find a reason to let you go

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

We are glad to hear that you enjoy the fast-pace, good money and hard work at SAS! We are working on and hope that you can develop more open communication and trust with your supervisor. We value ... More

6. A great way to cut your teeth in the professional world.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A large company in which you can easily find people to form close bonds with, as professionals and friends. There are interesting and unique surprises every day--sometimes every hour. You are exposed to a variety of situations within engineering (identifying and investigating a problem, setting up and improving processes, dealing with red tape and justifying data, etc.), and have a ton of data at your fingertips telling a lot of stories--if you have the patience, focus, and time discipline to look into it. There are a lot of good, brilliant people working here that make it easy to stay for three years and keep an optimistic outlook for most of it (my experience).

Cons

People who stick their necks out to fix a problem get criticized the most; people who contribute less but document it better are given Lean certification. People who chronically fail to perform their jobs will not be punished--managers will just punish every other employee instead, assuming everyone is as bad as the lowest common denominator. The company is surprisingly sexist, even among the recent college hires; this frat-house attitude nicely complements and ironically encourages the petty and pretentious traditional Korean leadership style we all loathe. No matter what you accomplish during the day, if it's not whatever your manager thinks you should have done or should have had time to do, you've failed.

Advice to Management

The lack of structure, expectations, and training is YOUR fault, not theirs.

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

We are lucky to have you on our team. Your willingness to speak up and collaborate with other smart employees appears obvious. We hope you continue to form close bonds and examine the data that will ... More

7. Cutting edge, fast pace, great benefits

Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

Pros

One of the front runners in the semiconductor industry! Fast pace allows us to compete in a tough global market. Benefits are out of this world! Engineering teams have a lot of great minds working for them.

Cons

Many decisions about our production mix are made overseas and they vary frequently. Difficult to maintain momentum in any direction when the priorities keep changing.

Advice to Management

Salaries are a little low to compete with other technical industries within the Austin area.

Nov 24, 2014Talent Acquisition Leader

Thank you for your enthusiasm and dedication!

Process technician

Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Austin, TX

Pros

Benefits, starting pay. Shift differentials for night and off shifts. Compressed work week. PTO is ample and available. OT options.

Cons

industry conditions are cyclical, currently resulting in little money to spread to personnel.
    Very little advancement even for high performers due to annual review structure. This is standard in the industry and it is customary to move between companies in order to obtain pay raises. No acknowledgement or reward for loyalty or performance.
    Intense task saturation in some areas of the process. Like being an Air Traffic Controller with the recognition of a fry cook.
    Consequence, rather than praise-driven environment. "Do a million things right, do one one wrong you're gone"

Advice to Management

more 24 hour amenities for a 24 hour operation
    more personnel support
    provide more frequent opportunities to advance.

This is the truth

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Cafeteria and starting pay basically

Cons

terrible management, you wont get anywhere if your not "buddies" with them. Even if you are the hardest working employee in your group, it will take you nowhere. Co-workers talk behind your back, specially the sock lickers who are afraid to get fired. You can do a million things right and wont get noticed, you do 1 thing wrong and you are about to get kicked out. Absolute worst company. You will get thrown under the bus and stepped over by those who want to go higher in the ladder.

Advice to Management

Take notice of the real workers with integrity and forget about your "buddies" who dont do anything.

Appeals to a certain personality type

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Salary is competitive, and the benefits are outstanding
    We stay on the cutting edge of technology
    Dynamic work envornment- it's impossible to fall into a rut in the engineering groups
    Austin location

Cons

Priorities can shift rapidly. If you like to know what you will be working next week, you'll have a hard time with SAS culture/
    Lack of accountability to other groups- upper management loves their metrics, most of which are metrics of fab engineering's performance. This gives groups that don't actually contribute anything to the production process a dispropotionate voice.

Advice to Management

Listen to the groups that actually make things happen in the Fab, not the guy reporting on the guy reporting on the guy reporting.

It's been great!

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As many have mentioned, pay, bonuses, benefits (health insurance, 401k, etc.) are all excellent. On site gym and cafeteria $$$ to spend to buy your lunch is good too. The community invovlement that the organization has is important to me, and I have enjoyed helping out where I can. They started a womens group this year too, where the women of Samsung can get together and network and talk which has been great.

Cons

Work/Life balance is a challenge in certain departments and areas. People work long hours. But most everyone can take PTO when needed or wanted. I have concerns over management in my area....new manager does not know how to manage people. Was a good engineer, but bad manager.

Advice to Management

Train your managers earlier - maybe before they become managers. Communicate better to those of us on the floor...we want to know what is going on.

RSS Feed </> Embed