Samsung C&T America

Updated May 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeong Soo Kim

Good company to work but not opportunity to move up.

QUALITY ASSURANCE TECHNICIAN AUDITOR/QUALITY CONTROL PERSON (Former Employee) Vernon, CA

ProsIndustry is a challenge and every day prices are going down .

ConsThis company does not provide any benefits to most of there employees , that is way alomst every body is hired as a contract basics .

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more detail and really listen to all personal when a mistake has occur not only to general manager .

Culture shock. Very Korean. If you can speak a little bit of it and familiarize yourself with the culture it will help.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsName sake. Everyone knows Samsung. It's helped me tremendously in looking for another job.

There are opportunities to be selected to work in Korea at the main HQ if you prove yourself. They are usually 3 months.

Work is simple and if you do what is required of you, there are no problems.

ConsAt times a very depressing and judgmental place to work.

A lot of times, you will be required to sit through long meetings entirely in Korean even if you don't speak any, just because of your title.

At these meetings, no translation effort is put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome cultural training will help, not just Korean, but within the company as well. What is expected? what is not expected? Should you ever approach and C level individual directly? Is there a difference being Korean and not?

I did internship here

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Ridgefield Park, NJ

ProsYou get to see what Samsung is like. The New Jersey office has all different sub-companies of Samsung, not just Samsung C&T.

ConsThe culture is a bit weird, since Koreans and non-Koreans don't seem to be mixing with each other very well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to gain experience

Associate (Current Employee) Ridgefield Park, NJ

ProsHelpful peers to guide you

ConsManagement not too understanding at times due to cultural differences

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities for current employees to change departments

Trading Company Mentality Usurps Customer Confidence - Commerce, CA Office

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Commerce, CA

ProsPerhaps being able to put the globally-recognized name of Samsung on a resume, even though the words and ideas of "Construction & Trading America" seem to negate that benefit.

ConsSince the Korean management team decided to "take over" an already established highly successful business, they have proceeded to alienate customers and destroy confidence with their management protocol roadblocks, communications barriers, and a lack of understanding in US-style relationship business as a model for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementDue to the rotational nature of the management staff, you may want to consider not treating extremely talented non-Korean professionals as disposable, unnecessary, and targets for discriminatory remarks often chalked up to "language translation issues." Review the large number of business areas you have undertaken that have folded/failed within the 2 year mark and ask yourself why...

Tragedy: When Cultural Challenges trump Talent

Management (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsThe opportunity to be a part of a start-up group for an established & successful International General Contractor with the full financial backing of this multi-billion dollar per year organization. An organization with a world class project portfolio in South East Asia and the Middle East. Opportunity to redifine success.

ConsThis was two years ago. The unrealized potential is being jeopardized by the disfunction resulting from the organizational cultural differences between an adaptable professional staff that places premiun on accountability and the controlling and rigid military management style of this Korean builder who is more focused on following protocol than on anticipating the market's needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay what you mean and mean what you say. Do not claim to have a goal to become a global E&C organization when you are not willing to adapt the organization's culture into a mindset that is receptive of the differences of each country in which you seek to operate or pursuit projects in.

Should have left sooner

Sales Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Commerce, CA

ProsBenefits are good- health, dental, vision, subsidized lunches, gym membership, 401k, and education. Global network and a good name to have company pride.

ConsUnless you know the Korean language, you can't get far within the company. HQ folks look down on you and rotational staffs don't care about you. Environment was bad- low morale where EVERYONE wanted to quit the company. Although you may be hired under a certain position, you are expected to do many many things outside your position. It's good to get diverse experience, but you will never become good at any one thing. Compensation was so low that it made me feel like I wasn't worth much despite all the hard work I put in. There was lack of appreciation and too many comments that were borderline harassment- "your arms are thick", "it looks like you need to lose a few more pounds", etc.... Although I learned a lot during my time there, I am glad to have left.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the management are rotational staffs from Korea. I know that management will be here for a short period: 3-5 years but management should be involved more with the local staff instead of doing their own things. Also, the way management treats Korean speaking American staff members is different from the way management treats non-Korean speaking American staff members. Management tends to overwork the Korean speaking American staff members and compensate them less than their non-Korean speaking counterparts who do less work. What is up with that?

You could do better elsewhere

Fashion Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people
    Great benefits
    Events for families
    subsidized meals

ConsYou won't get far
    Salary is low
    Most of the office speaks korean
    no work/life balance

Advice to Senior Managementhire more nonkorean people
    promote from within

It was fine to work for a Korean company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsIt has pretty good employer benefit

ConsYou can face cultural differences as an American working for Korean company

not so good company to work for, but lots of great people to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat employee benefit
    great people to work with

Constoo much pressure & stress
    lack of proper management skill

Worked for Samsung C&T America? Contribute to the Community!