Samsung Electronics America

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014
3.2

Gregory Lee

Pros
  • Great company to work for, stable job, good benefits and decent compensation (in 25 reviews)

• Good people, life balance and lifetime experience (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • poor work life balance with people frequently coming to office over the weekend, (in 34 reviews)

• There is no work/life balance at all (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Intense, driven, always "on" culture offset by great pay and benefits

Former Employee - Director of Business Planning in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Business Planning in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Samsung Electronics America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High collaboration at account team level. Great products that customers and consumers must have. Driven to be successful.

Cons

Paranoid Executives. Micromanagement culture at VP level and higher. Centralized decision making -- HQ employees. Expected to value working for Samsung as #1 priority in life.

Imposing the HQ culture of politics, bureaucracy, decision-making at the top level on the subsidiary will likely suppress an innovate and creative employee culture. Treating customers arrogantly won't help you grow the business.

Great leaders, great products, diverse portfolio, global footprint

Current Employee - Senior Manager Marketing in Ridgefield Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Marketing in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lean teams, smart colleagues, challenging work

Cons

Work life balance is almost non existent.

Work life balance and work from home options should be encouraged

Great Company with deep pockets

Current Employee - Director in Ridgefield Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are able to navigate the culture then sky is the limit. Great compensation. Thriving company.

Cons

Heavy work pressures and Long hours

Excellent environment, Field Team works well together

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Great PTO plan, base pay, car allowance, MBO. Fun working for a household brand; customers are happy to see us walk through the door. Field level management does not micromanage and manages up very well.

Cons

Lots of travel, leadership changes goals and systems frequently and commissions are nearly impossible to track and submit.

Please consider the negative impact that frequent changes have on morale and how we are viewed by our enterprise customers. Reporting is painful and demands excessive amount of time, requiring either 80 hour weeks or making us unavailable to our customers. Account profiles due within 2 days by the truckload leave us unable to get real work done.

Good internship

Former Employee - Intern in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I worked at Samsung Electronics America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People were very nice, work was interesting, company is doing some really cool things. Company seems to treat employees well.

Cons

Departments tend to be fairly siloed, working across the organization can be hard. Not much insight or visibility into managerial/executive decisions or strategy, especially those made by Korea.

Better facilitate communication across the firm. Better collaboration would have gone a long way to having important knowledge shared and allowing departments to do their jobs better.

Not what you think....

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

The company makes some great products and does recruit some very good people. Remember, Samsung is a big company so this review is only about one small part of the company, not the whole place. Gregory Lee is a very solid CEO.

Cons

The company doesn't want to support their great products and doesn't always recruit great people. The company also has trouble listening to guidance from both employees and customers. It's also very stuck on reporting, so much so that it takes huge amounts of time and it is guaranteed that almost nobody will read everything that is produced (even by a single employee). Compensation is important, you can't get away from it and/or set goals that are unobtainable. Constant organizational turmoil and strife is not a good way to retain quality talent.

Start listening to employees and customers. Consider investing in support for products that isn't cursory.

Good opportunities if you're self motivated and adaptable.

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Ridgefield Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Ridgefield Park, NJ

Pros

I've been with the company for 4 years, coming from a background in a smaller organization so the large corporate environment was a significant adjustment for me. I have met some amazing people, very intelligent, hard working, driven and team oriented. The culture is extremely fast paced and ideal for those that are self starters and able to quickly adapt to change. The most successful are those that are able to take complete ownership of their work and can be accountable for the successes and failures of their team. Someone who is capable of seeing great opportunity in what others may see as insanely aggressive goals and expectations can thrive with this company. Executive leaders are very approachable and encourage entrepreneurial minds.

Cons

Work-life balance is always a challenge with demanding work hours and, depending on the role, quite a bit of travel, evening communications w/ HQ and often times weekend work to stay on top of the workload. There are plenty of training opportunities (some mandatory), but they are often not completely relevant to the individual's business needs (most often the case in B2B as Samsung is very consumer oriented), which can be frustrating. Finding a clear career path can be nearly impossible even when you proactively try to find one, limiting the hope of a glass ceiling. While executive management may be very approachable and competent (certainly a positive), it is very obvious that HQ has a significant lack of trust in local leadership (this is a global issue, not just the US) and limits the amount of 'control' those leaders have over their own businesses and employees. As much as an entrepreneurial mindset may be encouraged, the downside is that the process-heavy culture does not always enable the execution of the ideas created. In addition, Korean dispatchers are very focused on 'leaving their mark' on the business for short periods of time, which often results in disruption of business on a 2-4 year cycle that often deters those that see the potential for a long term career with the company.

The biggest challenge for Samsung is the HQ-driven desire to force the Korean culture and mindset into a workforce with a very different background, set of beliefs and career expectations. When you research the difference between Korean culture and many others, it is easy to understand the 'how' and 'why', but it would be prudent for our Korean leaders to utilize their own business strength in 'adaptability' and apply it to their global business leadership styles. Find trust in your local leaders and empower them to drive their respective businesses without being stifled by unnecessary HQ-driven demands, redundant processes and HQ's lack of local market intricacies.

Not what you'd expect..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I have been working at Samsung Electronics America

Pros

They create top of the line products, widely known company

Cons

Several, the building and parking is running out of space for new hires, the systems and processes are way behind the times, heavily focused on sales numbers than employees, somewhat top heavy with too much management, the culture is stressed out and reserved.

They have great products, and the company looks great on paper, but to actually work there isn't all that fulfilling. You quickly feel let down.

Focus more on the people, the culture, the work environment, you are missing the forest for the trees. And the systems and processes need heavy process improvement.

I was doing digital marketing in customer experience management department

Former Employee - Intern in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I worked at Samsung Electronics America as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

very kind people. They don't just put you there, they do teach you, analyze your advantage and give you the job that you are good with. They also give you feedback for your work.

Cons

very tight schedule. Sometimes a little intense, but i like being busy.

Our HR manager scheduled a series of fun events. It was really awesome. During the intern program, we interns established a discussion group in which we discuss about our works. This discussion actually helped us a lot understand everyone's position in the company and provide opportunities for interns to work together if their work is related. I found this form of group really important. I wish this group form could remain in the program in the long run

Internship

I worked at Samsung Electronics America as an intern

Pros

Great work environment. Surrounded by amazing, supportive people!

Cons

No cons for this company

Samsung Electronics America Photos