Samsung Group

Samsung Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Samsung Group CEO & Vice-Chairman Dr. Oh-Hyun Kwon

Dr. Oh-Hyun Kwon

Pros
  • The only good thing about Samsung is the good salary(in 56 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, good management(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is a joke - if you want to shorten your life by half come work here(in 91 reviews)

• No Work life balance - expect to work 60-80 hours every week if you don't want to fall behind(in 34 reviews)

Samsung diversified

Engineering Technician II (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPeople with industry experience can be hired on very quickly.

ConsExperienced workers can be hired on quickly and then sit on their butt and do the minimums until someone in upper management finds out and then just moves you to a different department.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself.

Just because its "Samsung" doesn't mean its a great place to work!

Manager Retail (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsInnovative products
    Pay and benefits were good such as fuel card, car allowance, corporate card etc.

ConsNo communication between departments!
    Management don't have a clue on what is going on in the retail field!
    Management care more about reporting than creating relationships in store
    Its all about KPI's with reports

Advice to Senior ManagementIts great to give advise but actually spend a week in field to learn about the challenges, what you read on paper is not always the same as some managers will sugar coat the situation in order to look good.

Sadly, a sinking ship.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and health insurance above average.

ConsManagement apathetic toward retaining employees. Very closed door secretive atmosphere. Differences in cultures (Korean and American) clash. No cohesiveness/blending of these cultures.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany has floundered for 3 years. No business plan. No concrete direction creating discontent amongst employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard Work

Cal Centre (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThe only good thing at Samsung was the pay which was ok.

ConsNo work/life balance. More hours work than in a day.

Rewarding newcomers, punishing current employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChance to work with global teams. You can get really high starting salary if you can make the deal goes your way, regarding your technical skills.

I've been working in Samsung Research and Development Institute Indonesia for 1 year.

ConsSome division can't do their own job at all. Doesn't have clear skill standard, some people got really high salary while their skills are below average. Vice versa.

Don't consider this company if you want to learn new technology. Also your growth will be limited by the system, not your own capabilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your standard right. People come and go bet you can't let your key employees go. Give opportunity to most exceptional employee to get more rewarding packages.

Rich with new acquaintances but poor in professional stability

Key Account Executive (Former Employee) Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

ProsStability
    Reasonable working hours
    Bi-yearly bonus
    Yearly salary increment

ConsUnprofessional
    Gender Discrimination
    Forced labor
    Salary lower than average market

Corrupt Business.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and salary, however you just sell your soul in exchange for no life and no family time.

ConsDifferent rules for different people, lack of transparency even though on the outside it seems like Samsung is a good brand, back stabbing, and not a job for hard working people. Only people who play the politics get advancement. Lacks real people. Trust no one in the business, everyone plays a game.

Advice to Senior ManagementWaste if time giving management advise, the system is corrupt! Aren't you Samsung.

No clear direction whatsoever

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsHealth insurance was good and cheap.

ConsThe management has no clear business or technical direction. The HR was a joke, and company did not recognize or respect the talent they were trying to hire.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have a clear direction, document it, and follow through.

Selling your soul for money

Marketing (Current Employee) Oeiras (Brazil)

ProsGreat co-workers, great brand name for the CV, good opportunity to start a career in a country with high unemployment, great contact with high tech products before launch and great place to learn about marketing campaigns and scm.

ConsTop down management, too hierarchical, poor planning, disorganized, a lot of rework, long hours, no work-life balance, no autonomy, no training, lack of communication, information is kept a secret from most employees, dictatorial rulership from Korea, full of micromanagers, ridiculous processes, younger employees are outsourced and excluded from everything, brainless work, unprofessional HR, no career planning, no talent retention and career progression only happens out of necessity.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some autonomy to your employees, trust them to do their jobs, train your younger talent, let your employees enjoy their weekends!

Top Management (HQ) Strategy Pushed Down Through Organisation

I T (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood brand, nice scenery for EHQ building

ConsZero personal growth unless you are into politics in a big way, company prides itself on values and uses 'culture' to explain its bigotry and ill treatment of local employees, zero training except for internal antiquated Samsung training, poor work life balance, unless you are Korean or speak fluent Korean progression not usually possible, antiquated and ineffective systems and processes, lack of respect of cultures that are not Korean, high staff turnover, frequent 'pushing out' of employees, employees become glorified Emailers to HQ.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept that Samsung as a brand is good but do not let that fool you into believing your staff are happy and you are a good place to work.

Worked for Samsung Group? Contribute to the Community!