Samsung Information Systems America

Jay Chang

Top down

Manager (Current Employee)
Richardson, TX

I have been working at Samsung Information Systems America full-time for more than a year

ProsDescent salary, descent benefits, descent bonus

Cons30% overhead...in terms of reports,

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the us subsidaries have some autonomy

Confusing, Dysfunctional Mess

Senior Designer (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

ProsThe one upside to working at Samsung is they throw money around like its nothing. I am well compensated and have a nice paycheck. Of course, the downside to throwing money around is that you'll travel back and forth to Korea without any real agendas or rhyme or reason. Lots of travel, money wasted on hotels & arrangements, while projects are no better off for any of it. Everyone at Samsung is adverse to making any sort of decision, so things never move forward until another company does it first.

ConsWithout question, the worst company I have ever worked for in my 15-year career. The amount of incompetence in a company of this scale is staggering. While our office in the US was setup to incubate ideas and work autonomously, everything still goes through HQ - where design concepts are butchered, stolen outright, or disappear into the abyss of mismanagement.

To anybody considering a job with Samsung in the US, steer clear of this debacle. Every interaction with the company is painful. Just scheduling time off is a complicated process that involves launching a virtual windows environment to access an intranet portal that only works with IE8, which is hidden under layers and layers of tabs within tabs. Just a nightmare getting even the simplest of things done.

I joined Samsung because I thought I'd be working on cool products and I'd be able to have some influence. What I've experienced is a cluster-**** of a poorly structured company without direction or a clear vision. It's amazing how waiting until the last minute to do something, combined with outspending any other company on the planet to market products, Samsung has been able to establish itself as a major player in the industry. It's all a joke and I fell for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the professionals you've hired to do the work they've been hired to do.

Feel the Samsung magic, get transformed, euphoric ...

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Information Systems America full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to work with the emerging technologies that are yet to hit US market !

ConsSeoul, HQ managed operations as a cost center

Advice to Senior Management?

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Change is coming

San Jose, CA

I have been working at Samsung Information Systems America full-time for less than a year

ProsBeing that Samsung has its hands in a lot of pots, you get some nice employee discounts, though not as many as I would have hoped. My management chain has been nothing but awesome, they made sure I have everything I wanted to be able to get my job done. The teams get together regularly and have mixers as well as other team events. The best part is our game room that has everything you could want to blow off some steam, or just to waste time. Medical benefits are top notch. Aeron chairs for everyone!

ConsIt is a satellite branch of a larger company, so there isn't any escaping the dynamics of HQ vs the other guys. I have heard horror stories, but I see things changing everyday. Teams are budgeting for team snacks, as well as other goodies, but corporate should be providing these, not just individual teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the tech lock down, and make the facilities look and feel more fun. The culture is shifting, but not as fast as employees would like to see. It would be nice if we could get discounts on everything Samsung makes instead of a few products from each family of products. Having a physical corporate store would help with company pride.

Poor direction from top-level leadership

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

Proscushy environment. good place to work if you are looking for something cushy

ConsHQ management does it's best to disempower its talent. There is little ability to empower or make changes. There are "dispatchers" from korea that are really just spies to make sure HQ influence and rules are adhered to. Because of the size and distance there is not much of a chance to shine in the company. Was unable to get raise to bring me up to market rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees and pay them for good work

Solid company

I have been working at Samsung Information Systems America as a contractor

Pros-Great/laid-back people, including management/leadership
-Great benefits for full-time employees
-A lot of opportunity for growth/training
-Get to work with new technologies/ start-up R&D atmosphere
-Occasional fun events

Cons-Could offer more fun culture
-There can be little work-life balance in certain teams/management (depends)

Good Benefit

I have been working at Samsung Information Systems America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHealth insurance and cafeteria are great.

ConsAll work would be handled by HQ

review

I have been working at Samsung Information Systems America

Prospretty nice and friendly environment

Consnot found so far yet

Excellent intern experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Samsung Information Systems America as an intern

ProsGood company, a lot to learn

ConsDallas is too hot in Summer

SISA

Director (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

ProsGood benefits, good salary and talent.

ConsBad Management, Focus on products

Advice to Senior ManagementDecentralize

Worked for Samsung Information Systems America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Samsung Information Systems America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Samsung Information Systems America CEO Jay Chang. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Samsung Information Systems America employees.