Samsung Research America

www.sisa.samsung.com

Samsung Research America Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Samsung Research America – San Jose – “Samsung Research America's Future Headquarters”

Daniel Eum

Pros
  • They're hiring good people, and they're challenging them to do great work (in 3 reviews)

• Good benefits, good salary and talent (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a korean company within Silicon Valley - literally (in 3 reviews)

• fast-paced, it doesn't really feel like silicon-valley company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't go there...

ProsThe only "pro" I could think of, the reason why most people stay more than a few weeks at Samsung, is the salary. So unless you're really bendable and could accept crazy work conditions in the name of that good salary, Samsung is not for you.

ConsEverything else... Catastrophic managers, completely broken HR, management by fear and secrecy, company spying on your email and all electronic communications, "colleagues" reporting to management everything you say, complete inability to have any impact on Samsung products or projects because non-Koreans cannot dare having any influence on Koreans, Koreans stealing your inventions or documents under their name.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange things and people. Hard. Harder. Including yourself.

Leadership Vacuum

Senior Director (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsRelatively high pay
    Brand name is considered important and successful
    Co-workers are very nice people

ConsThe planning function is ridiculous. There are a team of young Koreans who attempt to lead the organization on behalf of an almost absent President. This is not a global company. It is a Korean company that is attempting something far beyond its capabilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is VERY important. The current President is essentially a manager. They also should stop getting rid of their successful leaders with strong personalities.

Unless you're ready to retire, don't work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Proscheap benefits
    great salary if you have a Masters of Phd from a top tier college (that's all they care about)

ConsVery Korean, if you can't conform, you will fail.
    Management doesn't take ownership and will throw you under the bus if given the chance.
    If you're not an engineer or UX designer, you will get paid pennies.
    No recognition for hard work, only brown noses prevail.
    Human Resources dept is HORRIBLE and corrupt, they continually break policy and would rather bury their head in the sand than deal with real issues head on.
    HQ in Korea run everything.
    Always in crisis mode.
    Turn over is about 33% of employees leave in less than a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring people based of their education (paper status) and hiring on the spot, actually sit down and really see if the candidate you hire is worth the money you're going to pay. Give higher salaries to people who help run the company instead of only engineers and designers. Some interns make more than regular full time employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Confusing, Dysfunctional Mess

Senior Designer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe one upside to working at Samsung is they throw money around like its nothing. I am well compensated and have a nice paycheck. Of course, the downside to throwing money around is that you'll travel back and forth to Korea without any real agendas or rhyme or reason. Lots of travel, money wasted on hotels & arrangements, while projects are no better off for any of it. Everyone at Samsung is adverse to making any sort of decision, so things never move forward until another company does it first.

ConsWithout question, the worst company I have ever worked for in my 15-year career. The amount of incompetence in a company of this scale is staggering. While our office in the US was setup to incubate ideas and work autonomously, everything still goes through HQ - where design concepts are butchered, stolen outright, or disappear into the abyss of mismanagement.

To anybody considering a job with Samsung in the US, steer clear of this debacle. Every interaction with the company is painful. Just scheduling time off is a complicated process that involves launching a virtual windows environment to access an intranet portal that only works with IE8, which is hidden under layers and layers of tabs within tabs. Just a nightmare getting even the simplest of things done.

I joined Samsung because I thought I'd be working on cool products and I'd be able to have some influence. What I've experienced is a cluster-**** of a poorly structured company without direction or a clear vision. It's amazing how waiting until the last minute to do something, combined with outspending any other company on the planet to market products, Samsung has been able to establish itself as a major player in the industry. It's all a joke and I fell for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the professionals you've hired to do the work they've been hired to do.

Korean driven only and beware

Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPays pretty well and there are people who care

ConsThis place is Korean driven and the most segregated company I have seen. I don't mean to sound bitter but it's the truth and that's how it'll be. HQ/Korea wants to make every decision all the way down to what office supplies. Those who are Korean are wired to become devoted lifers and willing to shift around in any role possible. I must warn anyone that being non Korean it is very toxic. Trust me!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so stubborn and timid. Allow those in the Silicon Valley and people you bring in to do what they're good at. You can't just sit around and wait for competitors to invent something and copy it. That luck will run out soon

Confused and indecisive MSCA Management

Director, Department Head (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsAmple opportunity to contribute if the MSCA management gets time off power struggle and if the management decides to do anything.

ConsConfused management, no direction and no vision, plays favorites, top down, no communication. It is difficult to know who is doing what. Execs are tied up in power struggle.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and define a vision, stop playing favorites, and execute. At least empower those who are delivering.

A Very Korean Company

Director (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood medical benefits unless you want Kaiser, which they removed. Lunch is subsidized but pretty poor quality.

ConsDecisions are all made in Korea

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point in making false promises about "changes" since no change is possible unless HQ approves. And that won't happen since changes are a threat to HQ management.

I worked for Samsung Mobile Solution Lab (MSL) in San Diego for 2 years

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsStable, flexible and research work environment.

ConsSenior management are unexperienced, arogant and incapable to mange the lab.
     Neoptism and favoritism are very popular during the company, especially if you are Koreans you are in their loop otherwise you are out of the loop
    Their demand is unclear with high expectations. There is no roadmap and direction in the lab.
    All the decisions are made under closed door, there is no presentation by the executive about their future plan. Everything is secret.
    You have to work with HQ but they are reluctant to collaborate.
    People work very hard and prepare quality work but are always criticized by executive and the executive never appreciate their work.
    The EVP is an autocrat and very hard to work with him.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some experienced people for your executive and directors. Run the lab like a US company with open culture not like a dictatorship. Take care of your employee and appreciate them

Lots of politics and very little gets done.. No career growth. No recognition.

Staff Engineer II (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsYou can learn Korean by sitting in Meetings :-) (which are plenty BTW)

ConsZero Career growth
    Zero Recognition
    Micro management

Heartless company making 3rd world quality, derivative products

Staff (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsMedical benefits, business travels, and not much else really

ConsThe following are the negative aspects that are commonly experienced when working at Samsung:

• Korean management, who were sent to the U.S. from Samsung Corp. in Korea, makes all of the decisions.
    • Non-Korean managers and employees are put in place to keep up an "American" appearance.
    • Management will favor ethnically and culturally Korean employees.
    • Culturally Korean employees will have work-related conversations in Korean in front of non-Korean co-workers.
    • Majority of managers are severely incompetent and have very little skill or expertise.
    • Working style emulates the military (probably Korean military).
    • At Samsung, female workers are second class citizens who need to feign traditional, submissive roles. Sometimes, they literally walk behind the male employees, especially if they are culturally Korean.
    • Employees work very hard to "compete" by analyzing competitor's products & features.
    • Compensation will be below par when compared to competing companies, unless you were an A level employee at the competing company, i.e. A, F, G, & N, who Samsung would like to poach in the area.

If you are currently working for one of the top tier companies, please be well advised and make a better choice for your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease happily march along while Samsung declines worldwide.

Worked for Samsung Research America? Contribute to the Community!