Samsung SDS

Updated December 17, 2014
2.6

Samsung SDS CEO In Kim
In Kim

Pros
  • Good benefits, health insurance and dental, and PTO available (in 3 reviews)

• Good Compensation and good work oppurtunity (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • During projects, your work/life balance is heavily unbalanced towards work (in 3 reviews)

• Long hours 9-6, other companies are 9-5 (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Learning experience

Current Employee - Web Developer in Ridgefield Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Ridgefield Park, NJ

I have been working at Samsung SDS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, health insurance and dental, and PTO available.
    There is ample opportunity to learn, though mostly through trial by fire.

Cons

Bonus is dismal. "Cheaping out" is a common theme. Especially when it comes to storage for the systems that are maintained. Projects and systems show obvious signs of minimal testing, lack of QA, and strict enforcement of tight deadlines to save money. Resources are stretched to the extreme.

You are a multi billion dollar company. Use earnings to invest in proper development and maintenance techniques. Having one person to maintain, develop, unit test, and perform dba duties does not make for quality service. SDS is supposed to be a tech company so maybe you should act like one. Excessive bureaucracy (ticketing system) to get anything done slows down all processes. Flawed KPI system creates an environment where people are quick to point fingers and buck passing instead of encouraging departments to work together.

sexual harassment, overtime not paid, cant take vacation even when you have PTO, no work-life balance

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I worked at Samsung SDS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

health insurance (but you wouldn't need this health insurance if you worked elsewhere. stress causes illness.)

Cons

-Racial and sexual discrimination (pregnancy negatively affects your performance evaluation)
    -Verbal sexual harassment is openly uttered by the senior manager. The senior manager was reported to HR but no punitive action was taken (only a meeting with HR manager). The victim had to quit the job.
    -Manager has MAXIM magazines on his desk
    -Manager favors an employee who also works as a go-go dancer at nighttime; she comes to work 30 minutes late and leaves 30 minutes early every day but no action is being taken
    -Important tasks are only given to Koreans; manager favors Koreans only
    -Management does not speak English and cannot communicate
    -There is absolutely no work-life balance. Be ready to give up your entire person life.
    -Promotion is based on your race and how much you suck up. Performance is never a key to proper evaluation.
    -No adequate training provided for the work asked, and blamed if you do not execute what you never learned
    -Too much responsibilities and workload for the compensation. Underpaid.
    -Long hours of work without overtime pay (or at least you are hinted not to put in overtime).
    -Taking vacation is not allowed most of time even when you have PTO due to having too much work - no backup manpower
    -Company dinner is mandatory but not compensated for the time there

-English-speaking management desperately needed, or at least someone who is familiar with American laws such as racial and sexual discrimination, & employment regulations

Prepare for sadness

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Samsung SDS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The work is interesting enough.

Cons

I probably had a worse experience than most due to just having a horrible manager. Terrible communication skills and just a mean person. Not just because you are working for foreign-born Koreans, there are a lot of people there who don't speak perfect English but are still reasonable to work with.

Honestly, I wouldn't offer any because they aren't the type that will listen. Basically, take what you can from the job and keep looking for something else.

This place is insane.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Samsung SDS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There's an inversion table available. Their printers are high-end. The lighting is not intolerable.

Cons

Not a single person I met there enjoyed being there. Management lies about valuing work/life balance. Management is unable to tell the difference between work well done and accumulated incompetence, assigns tasks to the wrong SME, keeps people on who have made unspeakable messes of their areas of supposed expertise, and fires those who point this out.

Nuke 75 W. Plumeria in San Jose and start all over.

Technical Manager

Current Employee - Director in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Samsung SDS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience working with Asian company

Cons

Extremely hierarchical, no trust, no respect for individuals, employees are evaluated by no. of years worked vs. contributions, do not value diversity, do not value thinking outside the box and innovations. They expect you to work very long hours everyday with no compensation. You solve the same problem everyday. There is lots of chaos, mismanagement, and no value added work.

Korean style of management does not work in United States. Samsung needs to change its culture in US, if they want to succeed in this country, otherwise Samsung will be another Sony in few years.

not productive

I have been working at Samsung SDS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

loose corporate culture. very flexible

Cons

no leadership, no initiative for change, not care for people

focus more on utilizing local staff rather than dispatching korean people with no leadership

Wealth of Experienced Professionals

Current Employee - Project Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Samsung SDS as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great Salary, most technically qualified people I've ever worked with. I acquired 5 years of experience in a year's time.

Cons

Directors and above overburdened and out of touch with operations. End result is management by accident.

Learn to do business in America.

Bad company culture and Bad management

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Moonachie, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Moonachie, NJ

I worked at Samsung SDS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security(So far). Average benefit. Nothing else.

Cons

If you are Caucasian, this company will be your heaven.
    Your managers from Korea don’t speak English, and they won’t ask you anything.
    You can seat at office, surfing internet all day, go home at 6 pm, and correct paycheck with great benefit. You will get pay very well too.
    You don't have to worry about to meet your sales target, or bring a big contract for the company, or do crappy job. They won't care because they don't speak English. If you wrote long email to your manager, he will shut up and won't bother you anymore because they don't understand.

If you are Korean American, this is your hell. You will be very under paid, and this company is extremely under staffs ALWAYS. I worked about 3 times more than my previous employer.
    Company and management don’t think it’s under staffs. Never. It’s more like they don’t care.

All works and duty will go to you because you speak Korean and they expect you to stay at office after 6 pm, because you speak Korean. All other people will leave the office, but not you. You probably have to work weekend and overnight frequently and repeatedly too. Company never paid over time. You will have no personal life here. Company will give you free cell phone. Great? They give the phone and expected you to pick up all calls 24/7. Manager will scream at you because you missed a call at 3:00 am. After hour calls are not once in a while. Pretty much almost every week at least.

Your manager will be changed every a few years and they are from Korea.
    They have no interested your carrier, your low salary, your work load, or your personal life.
    They will ask you more work for the company, and keep giving you empty promises. They want to enjoy American style life here, and they want to play golf. After a few years, new manager will come, and same story begins again.

Many of Korean American works very hard for this company, but I have been seeing all great managers and engineers are leaving, so I did too. Now I am happy.

There are left over employees who can’t get a job at another company.

When I join this company, I really want to see happy ending. I ready do.
    However.......

I have no hope from managements.

Great learning experience, but Low pay

I have been working at Samsung SDS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an engineer, you're exposed to alot of different vendors to work with. Great benefits outside of work.

Cons

Very low pay regardless of what area you live in. Budget tightly controlled by HQ in Korea.

If you have any other option, don’t take this job.

I worked at Samsung SDS

Pros

Cafeteria food was cheap and good, free snack in the afternoon once a week.

Cons

This is the worst company I have ever worked in my 12 years professional career.
     No family-working balance. Long hours 9-6, other companies are 9-5. However, you can never leave at 6pm. Your manager expects you to stay late every day. Sometimes work till midnight, and no compensation day/hour.
     Not flexible. Too controlling manager style. No chatting, no talking on the phone during office hour. Office is so quite, you just need to work like a slave. You cannot go lunch on your own schedule.
     No trust between managers and employees. My co-worker was asked to bring in a doctor’s note for one sick day. Managers get nerves when people ask for sick days, because they don’t want people to go for interviews.
     No chance of moving up in the corporate. Korean team drives the project; I did not get to design and contributing my ideas.
     There are so many people quit during the time I was there. Turn over rate is very high.

Instead of controlling people, make people happy then they will not want to leave.

Samsung SDS Photos

IT development building
new job! excited and looking forward to it!

+ Add Photo