Samsung Semiconductor

Samsung Semiconductor Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Samsung Semiconductor CEO & Vice Chairman Dr. Oh-Hyun Kwon

Dr. Oh-Hyun Kwon

Pros
  • Good benefits, including children's education, medicare coverage(in 10 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are above average for the industry; however, benefits were recently reduced(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited career opportunities, poor work/Life Balance, language barrier(in 13 reviews)

• Long hours, limited carrier growth(in 13 reviews)

Research Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery challenging tasks, well organized and smart coworker

Constoo much overload, long hours

Global company aspirations - totally Korean in the reality.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCould end up working on some cool stuff - if in the right group and/or team. Lot of recent collection of local talent so could work with smart engineers. Decent overall benefits.

ConsVery Korea in culture. Very little decision making happening locally. Most of it driven by Korean leaders (dispatched to local centers or from Korea). Intentions of becoming a global company are all there but the actual implementation is non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEspecially to Korean Management:
    1. Give more power/freedom to local management to deliver state of the art solutions.
    2. Let local team develop their own culture and have less influence in day to day management/decision making.
    3. Become global rather than just preaching of becoming global company.

If you want work life balance or to work for a company with integrity...you won't find it here.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPay is good...you just have to leave your intelligence at the interview table.

ConsIf you are not Korean you are a second class citizen. Their diversity leaves a lot to be considered. I never saw more that 3 African American employees in the over 10 years I worked there.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decision based on the morals and values of American companies and not Korean.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging. Somewhat rewarding.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsNice working environment and good benefits.

ConsPerks need to be re-visited in order to be competitive.

A work place worst ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsBrand name before joining this company. No any other good things about it since working there

ConsTerrible bully management do not have project management and treat employees very unfair except you have personal relationship with the Sr. Director there. Performance review employees blindly without knowing what employees have done. Management do not have communications to employees about sharing schedules, very unclear about priorities, planning or proper work resource estimates.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job and provide employees project or assignments with proper resource estimates. Be open and fair review your employees's work and performance. If you are not knowledgable enough knowing what job needs what time efforts as expected, please step down and let employees have a peaceful pleasant work life.

Only Asians need apply if you look for growth potential and promotions

Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCost of Benefits is better than any company I have seen. 401K is standard matching. 50% subsidized Cafeteria and workout Center (Gym) is onsite

ConsOnly Asians get promoted - even if they are not qualified. Caucasian Americans are rarely looked at for promotions.
    Their annual review process is terrible - it is based on a 1 to 5 scale (1 the best and 5 the worst). If a manager gives someone a 1 in their group then they must give another person a 5 ~ even if they are a well performing employee. If a manager submits an employee for a 2 and a director doesnt like it - they will reject it and tell the manager to reduce it to a 3 or 4. Its not fair and not right.
    They expect employees to be available for work 24/7 - even on holidays. There are daily calls with Korea late into the night. The employees in Korea do not adjust their schedule to ours - it is us who must be available for them.
    I have seen a lot of unethical practices over the many years.
    very...very....very tough place to work if you are looking for fairness and GWP.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Evaluate them as they truly are.
    Treat everyone faily and with respect. Promote individuals who truly deserve it.

Excellent

ProsGood benefit, stable position, good support

ConsStrong competition in this industry

Lovely workplace with great people

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWhenever I come to my office, I can feel like visiting my friend's house. The management takes an effort to make the workplace friendly. All colleagues listen carefully to my story and have a warm communication with me. I love my colleagues and happy to work with them.

ConsSometimes, it looks like strong competition in the company, but this is not only for our company.

Average Compensation, lots of work pressure

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsDecent 401k, lunch subsidy is 50%. Decent medical benefits.

ConsBelow Average pay for the amount of hours employees put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork towards keeping the best talent in the company

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Decent First Job

Sales and Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFriendly Co-workers
    Company in a Dynamic Industry

ConsIt seems to be tough to get a promotion.

Worked for Samsung Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!