Samuel Son & Co.

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
2.3

Wayne K. Bassett

needs more employees or shifts for work load

Current Employee - Warehouse in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Samuel Son & Co. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some friendly staff busy shop

Cons

bad managers and shortage of warehouse personel

Avoid if possible

Former Employee - Laborer in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Laborer in Gary, IN

I worked at Samuel Son & Co. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Only pro about this company is they hire felons and employ people on work release.

Cons

Management has too much going on and does not recall conversations with employee's. Very low wages for work they are performing. 9.50/hour for company making parts for railroad cars operating presses and machines.

I have no idea where to start.

A tough road.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Samuel Son & Co.

Pros

The pay and the benefits were good. Very easy to take off time when needed.

Cons

Management screams and cusses at the employees. Fights are a very common occurrence. There seems to be a lot of passing the buck.

Upper management really needs to take a look at the direct they are taking this branch. Try to actually work as a team.

Terrible

I have been working at Samuel Son & Co.

Pros

Not a one, but i have to put at least twenty letters in this collum, which i think this company is giving themselves a little to much credit....

Cons

Well. We were taken over by samuel, we were told as a group that nothing of ours would change. We had sick days and a excellent benefit package. Sammy came in and said, "well would said nothing would change, but we lied. Samuel does not pay for sick days nor do we have as good of benifits as you, and we will not comply to the way it was before" we had guys who were weeks away from earning another week of holidays, but samuel said no. We have a different time standard for earning extra holidays. They are the worst possible company that could have ever bought us. They have bullied our branch into guys quitting, treating the employees who have stayed very poorly. They holy a double standard on everything we do. Its never ending emails to our boss about how horrible we are.

Quit treating your plant employees like garbage. Quit taking away and not giving back. The branch i work at is so understaffed, everybody's pulling double duties. But im sending this complaint in thinkin that a company that bases itself out of a safety first and family friends state of mind, but does no such thing will actually change and start treating their employees better. No. This is a loud voice falling of deaf ears. I thank you for the paycheques i receive weekly that are never right.

Changing for the better

I have been working at Samuel Son & Co. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a real effort by management to make the necessary changes to improve. They are moving towards a more employee focused environment. I can see promise that the company really wants to move forward and get out of the old school management style. It will take some time, but I believe this company now has the right attitude and, with a little patience, the transition will be a good one.

Cons

People need to embrace the change needed to take the company forward.

Continue to focus on employee engagement and communicate to employees. The change in senior management in the past year has evolved this company and has made the company a good place to work.

The company is afraid of change!

Current Employee - Sales in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Samuel Son & Co. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Pay is decent
    Life balance is ok

Cons

Management is very bad at communication
    Training is all over the place.. the trainer is stuck in the 70s
    "Fearless" Sales Manager has no respect from any of his sales reps
    This is a very old boys club.. good if you are at the end of sales career otherwise don't bother

Need infrastructure! Better communication.. Stop overselling promises you can not keep

Big Organization with little room to grow; Failure to communicate

Former Employee - I T Department in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - I T Department in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Samuel Son & Co. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits for this $5B company which makes lots of profit $. Stable company that invests in technology.

Cons

You can be clipped at any time; Multi-layered management and poor communication detract from productivity. Everything requires the proper submissions or paperwork to get something completed. Too much "Big Brother" for the size of the company. There are many long-termers in the top spots, don't expect vertical growth.

Communicate better, refrain from blatent lies and deception.